1876: Eclipse Searches

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

1876: Eclipse Searches

Postby netsplit » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:52 pm UTC

Alt Text: There were traffic jams for the eclipses in 1970 and 1979, and that was *before* we had the potential for overnight viral social media frenzies.

Thank you for the PSA Randall! Planning to use a telescope to get a really good shot of the eclipse, and would suck if I couldn't see it because stuck behind an 18 wheeler.

ETA: been waiting for this since 1994 when my teacher wouldn't let anyone outside to look at the partial eclipse.
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

cellocgw

Re: 1876: Eclipse Searches

Postby cellocgw » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:03 pm UTC

Curve extrapolation -- the only thing less reliable than a Lada running Windows.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:09 pm UTC

It's unreliable now, but if look at how reliable it could be...

(The biggest traffic problems in 1999 Cornwall were after the eclipse. For obvious reasons...)

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:22 pm UTC

We have a place picked out to watch the eclipse, but I am expecting traffic to be horrendous, We are allotting at least 3 hours for a one hour drive.
I am hoping Waze will keep things up to date and help with route planning. But we will be in rural NE Georgia. Roads there are in now way designed to handle Massive amounts of traffic because they NEVER need it

Hiferator

Postby Hiferator » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:38 pm UTC

You mean to tell me the "eclipse" searches have eclipsed the election searches? *badum-tiss*

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:19 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:(The biggest traffic problems in 1999 Cornwall were after the eclipse. For obvious reasons...)

Well, some of the biggest traffic problems in the 2016 election were also after the election... and those crashed the Canadian Immigration web site. We'd better hope these traffic problems don't crash the sun. (Or everything running Solaris, which would still be "exponentially" worse than one web site.)

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:45 pm UTC

Hiferator wrote:You mean to tell me the "eclipse" searches have eclipsed the election searches? *badum-tiss*

It's obviously because most Americans are such model citizens that they knew and understood everything they needed to know well before the election.

Huh? What's that laughter I hear in the background? ...

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:48 pm UTC

I booked a hotel room for the night before a few months ago.

The weather is looking pretty dreary. :|
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

dis astranagant

Postby dis astranagant » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:12 am UTC

I live in a 10k pop town in MO that's apparently expecting 100k people to show up for the eclipse (my house is about 3 miles from the center line of the totality plane). Kindly stay home. It's supposed to rain anyway.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:38 am UTC

dis astranagant wrote:I live in a 10k pop town in MO that's apparently expecting 100k people to show up for the eclipse (my house is about 3 miles from the center line of the totality plane). Kindly stay home. It's supposed to rain anyway.

I'm going to be somewhere in rural Missouri for the eclipse -- it just so happens to be directly on my way back to college. I'm worried about the traffic.

I really hope it doesn't rain.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:55 am UTC

Even if it's cloudy, totality is eerie. Not sure about with rain, it will surely still be atmospheric even then.

Ok, it's not the gold medal experience, I presume, but it was markedly more than the two observable partials I got clear(-enough) skies for.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:32 am UTC

I'm the better part of a thousand miles from the path of totality with no intention of traveling that far. Over the next 100 years, the nearest one to me is the 2106 eclipse which will come as "close" as Winnemucca. Haven't found a place yet to search farther out than 100 years.

herbstschweigen

Postby herbstschweigen » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:23 am UTC

I wonder no one unscrambled the short link from the comic so far. It's:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/08/01/the-path-of-the-solar-eclipse-is-already-altering-real-world-behavior/?utm_term=.546e2d9b6ee8

dis astranagant wrote:I live in a 10k pop town in MO that's apparently expecting 100k people to show up for the eclipse (my house is about 3 miles from the center line of the totality plane). Kindly stay home. It's supposed to rain anyway.

In 1999 my ex-gf and I drove ~300km to northern France to be in the totality path. We picknicked on some rural lawn and had a great day. Getting there was no big traffic problem as we were hours early, but getting back was a huge congestion, because obviously everyone leaves once totality is over.
And it was cloudy in the minutes of totality, but nevertheless it was a great experience. You can actually see the shadow of the moon approaching on the clouds. You notice it's getting darker before, and windy, and birds are getting quiet. And her dog, who was happily running around and digging holes before, became quite uneasy too. So even in bad weather it's worth being outside to experience this.

In 2006 my now-wife and I went on a trip through Egypt which included seeing the eclipse in the desert. And that was unbelievable. There we had the whole shebang, corona and everything. It's really something one should experience once in a lifetime.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:20 am UTC

Since nobody else had the chutzpah to go down this path, well, ... total eclipse

No, it is **not** a Rickroll!
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:48 am UTC

I bet that WAPO link is great but it's paywalled. I'll just close my eyes and imagine it.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:59 pm UTC

Turns out it's kinda big, so I spoilered it.
Spoiler:
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:39 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:Turns out it's kinda big, so I spoilered it.
Spoiler:

That's be a lot more useful if it were normalized by population density.
Former OTTer

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:12 pm UTC

Is Geo-IP information that good in the US? I understood that, in Europe, it's not reliable below country level. But "not reliable" isn't the same as giving zero information, so perhaps with a big enough data set it's possible to see trends like this above the "noise". Is that what's going on or is Geo-IP just more accurate in the US (perhaps because of differences in Data Protection legislation)?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:52 pm UTC

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:53 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Is Geo-IP information that good in the US? I understood that, in Europe, it's not reliable below country level. But "not reliable" isn't the same as giving zero information, so perhaps with a big enough data set it's possible to see trends like this above the "noise". Is that what's going on or is Geo-IP just more accurate in the US (perhaps because of differences in Data Protection legislation)?

I've had times when my IP showed New Jersey when I was in California, but for the most part it tends to put me at the very least within the same county. Accurate enough for that map.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

DavidSh

Postby DavidSh » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:47 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
That's be a lot more useful if it were normalized by population density.

I'm sure that's normalized in some fashion, since some of the counties given as having high interest have pretty low populations. I would guess the easy normalization would be just to report Eclipse searches as a fraction of all searches.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 am UTC

OP Tipping wrote:I bet that WAPO link is great but it's paywalled. I'll just close my eyes and imagine it.

Weird. It worked for me. Why would they put a paywall up that only affects some people? It can't be because I've exceeded a limit or something because I've been reading articles from them all weekend.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

jonhaug

Postby jonhaug » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:55 am UTC

pogrmman wrote:

I'm going to be somewhere in rural Missouri for the eclipse -- it just so happens to be directly on my way back to college. I'm worried about the traffic.

I really hope it doesn't rain.

Well, Murphy's law, or something? Or our friend Linus: https://thedailyfunnies.files.wordpress ... eanuts.gif

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:35 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Is Geo-IP information that good in the US?
I've had adverts that assumed I lived in "Switzerland". I later figured out that there was a town in the next county called "Switzerland".
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

DieInRealLife

Postby DieInRealLife » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:40 pm UTC

How did Randall pass over the opportunity to say "searches for 'eclipse' in the weeks before the eclipse are eclipsing searches for 'election' in the weeks before the 2016 election."?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:39 pm UTC

DieInRealLife wrote:How did Randall pass over the opportunity to say "searches for 'eclipse' in the weeks before the eclipse are eclipsing searches for 'election' in the weeks before the 2016 election."?

Maybe he just elected to.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:41 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
orthogon wrote:Is Geo-IP information that good in the US?
I've had adverts that assumed I lived in "Switzerland". I later figured out that there was a town in the next county called "Switzerland".

Whenever a site (like Google maps) tries to guess where I am, it usually puts me into either of the two closest major cities. Both are about 30 kilometers away, but being that much off in a country this small isn't particularly useful.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:46 pm UTC

My current connection (mobile internet) is, by various geolocation tools, located in one of five different places (in six guesses). Three of them identify my provider correctly enough (but not consistently enough to suggest the same HQ location). The latitudes range over 1.7°, and the longitudes spread over 2.5° (which is a similar on-the-ground mileage to the first at these latitudes). My true locale is within the given limits, but could so easily have been outside that box, I feel. None of the Lat/Lons (even those that don't seem to want to admit to which ISP I'm on, which might therefore not be associated with a selected physical business address for the ISP) appear to sufficiently correlate with any of the recognised Centre Of The Nation(s) locations for the (correctly determined) placing of me in the UK, but (as shown in the case of that Kansas farm) the 'rounding' errors used can be illogical.

Spoiler:
When I'm on a landline connection, the ISP 'local office' seems to play its part, still. I get those "Meet gjrls in <your town>" or "<Woman Who Is Allegedly The One In The Suggestive Stock Photo> is also in <Suburb/Postcode area>" web-ads that are sometimes wildly off.

There are three cities within 30 miles (centre-to-centre) in my immediate area (no more than 10 miles between the edges of the two furthest 'nearest neighbourings'), ignoring the major towns dotted around and between, and non-local cities also only 20-30 miles (C2C) miles away, and populations from a slightly less than a quarter to slightly more than half a million for the proximate city areas I thought to check.

Anyway, when it isn't ridiculously far off (a completely different county - UK-style county, that is), it's still not narrowing me down mucj. There's probably more than 2 million people in even the better 'error bar' locations.

TL;DR;, I understand the deficiencies of the (public!) geolocation system. And I'm not too upset about it.
I also wish that when activating my tablet's GPS it wouldn't pop up a perpetual attempt to have me agree to geolocate by the Wifi hotspot I'm connecting to. A) Because I am often not connected to a WiFi hotspot, so it would be useless, and B) The option to not bother me again/remember my decision is there but inactive, presumably unless I at some future time committed to the "Yes" option. (From my experience on prior tablets, the Hotspot Geolocation never did help much. Possibly because there were too many people like me who denied the system the necessary shared calibration data. Anyway, very few wifi hotspots exist in the middle of moorlands, so I feel not unjustified in being a denier.)

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:59 pm UTC

Looks like the eclipse searches aren't going to make it (though there may still be a chance as it is still proceeding across the US):
https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... e,election

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:10 pm UTC

Drain the Umbra! Terra first, Terra first… We're going to build a heliostat and make the Solarians pay for it. #MEGA

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:27 am UTC

Speaking of eclipse searches, this cracks me up:
Look at how much it spikes right around the eclipse! The peak is at like 1:30 CDT -- which (at least where I was) was about 20 minutes after totality ended.

Speaking of which, I was totally blown away by it. I managed to get to an area of Missouri where there were no clouds blocking the sun. I'd seen pictures, but WOW! It was incredible. I totally understand why people go all over the place to see them.

EDIT: Also, there was a sharp peak in searches for "seeing spots" just after the eclipse. I hope this eclipse didn't cause mass eye damage...

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:20 am UTC

I've posted a link to this article in the Guardian in two other places in these fora, with absolutely no indication that anybody actually followed the link, but I highly recommend it anyway.

How to tell if you damaged your eyes during the eclipse

(I get the strong impression that the Guardian staff were getting rather sick of hearing about the American eclipse.)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:14 am UTC

My first reaction on clicking that link was "wtf kind of goddamn broken paywall is this that makes the page unreadable and doesn't even tell me it's because my adblocker is on or ask me to turn it off grumble grumble inspect element turn off goddamn blur filter and opacity and animation there now I can read the fucking pa... oh. That was the joke."

Every now and then I fall apart.

(There's nothing left to read. A total eclipse of the page.)
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:12 pm UTC

Hooray! Someone around here actually followed a link I've posted!

Bless you, Pfhorrest. Be well and happy.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:02 pm UTC

(I followed it. But then I also followed http://qwertyuiop.microfost.co/public/docs/BankNameGoesHere/reconfirm-account-detials-please.asp so I'm not sure if I'm the best person to ask.)

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:06 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:My first reaction on clicking that link was "wtf kind of goddamn broken paywall is this that makes the page unreadable and doesn't even tell me it's because my adblocker is on or ask me to turn it off grumble grumble inspect element turn off goddamn blur filter and opacity and animation there now I can read the fucking pa... oh. That was the joke."

Every now and then I fall apart.

(There's nothing left to read. A total eclipse of the page.)
Instant cataracts.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”