Alaska is the only state to lose its capital. Since Juneau is among the most "off-center" state capital in the U.S., it wouldn't be too bad to move to the Anchorage area.
Long Island's move affects the most people by far, whereas New Mexico's southwestern notch is nearly uninhabited.
Interestingly this affected the 2016 presidential election. Most of these transfers are low-impact, but a few change the map.
- Delaware is the only state to lose its largest city, Wilmington (and more than a few Democrats), but it gains in population. Its new northern border is 39°43′ 20″ N, rather than the Twelve-Mile Circle, and its northeastern border is the Susquehanna River or nearby. Adding the 9 red counties from Maryland (with 1 red and 1 blue from Virginia) wins Trump win the state, and adds a 4th electoral vote to Delaware.
- Trump's Michigan margin of victory was 10,704, and 27,095 in the Upper Peninsula. Michigan goes to Clinton with the same number of electoral votes.
- Trump's Florida margin of victory was 112,911, and 213,498 in the 10 western panhandle counties. Florida goes to Clinton with 2 fewer electoral votes.
- Nevada was a narrow victory for Clinton. Adding part of the very red Mohave County, Arizona, makes it too close to call. Clinton wins the election if Nevada stays blue.
- Trump's Pennsylvania margin of victory is 44,292. The transfer from Northern Delaware probably doesn't quite swing the state to Clinton.
Arbitrary selection of cities and other features to prepare for transfer:
AK to BC: Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg
AZ to Sonora: Tombstone, Douglas, Sierra Vista, Nogales, Rio Rico
AZ to OK: Page, Colorado City, Grand Canyon NP (part)
AZ to NV: Bullhead City, Mohave Valley, Kingman (part)
CO to KS: La Junta, Lamar, Burlington
CO to NE: Sterling, Fort Morgan, Brush
DE to PA: Wilmington, Talleyville, Claymont
FL to AL: Pensacola, Crestview, Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Panama City, Lynn Haven, Marianna
MD to DE: Salisbury, Princess Anne, Ocean City, Easton, Cambridge, Elkton
MD to WV: Oakland, Frostburg, Cumberland
MA to RI: New Bedford, Fall River, Provincetown, Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket, Plymouth, Taunton, Barnstable
MI to WI: Marquette, Sault Ste. Marie, Houghton, Escanaba, Iron Mountain
MI to WI or MN: Isle Royale NP
MN to ON: Northwest Angle
MO to AR: Dennett, Caruthersville, Portageville
NM to Sonora and Chihuahua: Animas Mountains
NM to OK: Farmington, Shiprock, Taos Ski Valley, Raton, Carson National Forest (part)
NY to NJ (probably): Staten Island, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island
NY to NJ or CT: Brooklyn, Queens, Suffolk County, Nassau County
TX to LA: Marshall, Jefferson
TX to AR: Texarkana, Atlanta, New Boston
VA to KY: Abingdon, Wise, Big Stone Gap, Richlands
VA to DE: Chincoteague, Cape Charles
WV to OH: Wheeling, Moundsville, New Vrindaban
WV to MD: Martinsburg, Harpers Ferry, Charles Town
WY to UT: Evanston, Rock Springs
WY to ID: Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons, Wyoming Range, Yellowstone NP (part)
WY to MT: Yellowstone NP (part)