1921: "The Moon and the Great Wall"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Hiferator

1921: "The Moon and the Great Wall"

Postby Hiferator » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:18 am UTC

Title text: And arguably sunspots, on rare occasions. But even if they count, it takes ideal conditions and you might hurt your eyes.

The great wall is not on it, but here's a list of man-made stuff you can actually see from the moon: Link

(Created with chridd's thread formatter.)

rhomboidal

Re: 1921: "The Moon and the Great Wall"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:21 am UTC

The Great Crater of the Moon was made to keep out invading Martians. Super true.

Brian-M

Postby Brian-M » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:41 am UTC

Hiferator wrote:[url=https://xkcd.com/1921/]The great wall is not on it, but here's a list of man-made stuff you can actually see from the moon:

So the only man-made stuff you can see from the moon is the man-made stuff that's actually on the moon itself? Makes sense.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:25 pm UTC

Pfooey. Everyone knows that The Great Wall is actually a coded message to a marooned space alien.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

DanD

Postby DanD » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:57 pm UTC

Lake Nasser is visible from the moon (in an earthrise photo taken by the LRO). I would presume multiple other man made lakes are, as well. Cities, as a unit, are visible on the night side.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:54 pm UTC

Did you know that if you're standing on the Great Wall of China, you can see the Great Wall of China?

Which is a man-made structure located on the third celestial body orbiting the star known as Sol. :)
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

eidako

Postby eidako » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:27 pm UTC

xtifr wrote:Great Wall of China...is a man-made structure located on the third celestial body orbiting the star known as Sol.

I came here to make a similar observation, but since you got to it first, I'm going to go with the contrarian route.
dictionary.com wrote:pertaining to the sky or visible heaven, or to the universe beyond the earth’s atmosphere, as in celestial body.

Wiktionary wrote:A natural object which is located outside of Earth's atmosphere, such as the Moon, the Sun, an asteroid, planet, or star.

But then Merriam-Webster chose to be contrarian to that argument.
Merriam-Webster wrote:an aggregation of matter in the universe that constitutes a unit (as a planet, nebula) for astronomical study

DavidSh

Postby DavidSh » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:42 pm UTC

It seems to me like you are missing the obvious, if obsolete, meaning of "Celestial", as pertaining to Imperial China.

Hiferator

Postby Hiferator » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:58 pm UTC

DanD wrote:Lake Nasser is visible from the moon (in an earthrise photo taken by the LRO). I would presume multiple other man made lakes are, as well. Cities, as a unit, are visible on the night side.

Ah, you're right, you would have gotten me there, but luckily, I did not write "all man-made stuff you can [...] see from the moon". On the other hand, to make the great wall myth sound more exiting/exceptional, it is usually stated in a manner that excludes those examples, like "individual man-made structure" or something.

DavidSh wrote:It seems to me like you are missing the obvious, if obsolete, meaning of "Celestial", as pertaining to Imperial China.

There's potential for an advanced pun somewhere in there, but I can't quite find it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”