1928: "Seven Years"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dbasener

Re: 1928: "Seven Years"

Postby dbasener » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:16 pm UTC

Congratulations Mrs. and Mr. Randall. I wish you 7 ^ 7 more healthy and happy years together.

Dhs1963

Postby Dhs1963 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:36 pm UTC

I so love this xkcd. I am 5 1/2 years; 5 years (almost to the day) when I transitioned from stage one (NBD) to Stage IV kidney cancer (10% 5 yr survival rate). I have been through the uncertainties and scanxiety.

And, as a geophysicist, I so waited for that magical day in August 2017 when the moon blocked the sun. And now, I plan for 2024. With my wife (of 19 years).

Thank you!

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:08 pm UTC

Lots of speculation over the years whether Randall reads these threads. Probably too busy most of the time, but damn ... sure hope he reads this one. There is much love here.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:34 am UTC

Just to re-iterate what everybody else has said: this comic was super touching. It brought back a lot of the memories of the couple extra years I was able to spend with my grandmother because of a great surgeon. Even though it wasn't that long ago (only a few years), it still makes me realize how lucky my family was that we were able to spend so much time with her after pancreatic cancer. It also reminded me how long seven years is. Even though I'm young (20), 7 years doesn't always seem too terribly long, but when I think back to what I was doing then, I realize that I was trying to come to terms with the fact that I had a crush on somebody for the first time. It seems so long ago, but also at the same time so recent. Some things I did back then seem like they were only yesterday. But, memory is weird.

Either way, this is a lovely comic. I really enjoyed it. I hope Randall and his wife are doing well.

water_moon

Postby water_moon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:30 am UTC

There's a new way to make me feel old: remind me it's been 7 years since I first saw mention of this and worried for a total stranger...

But as my husband says "getting old is better than the alternative." Here's to you and yours getting older for at least another 7 years.

ho666es

Postby ho666es » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:14 am UTC

heres to the next 70, live life well its the only one we have! <3

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:55 pm UTC

I registered 5 years ago to say how much 2 years had moved me. 5 years on this is an equally beautiful strip, I'm so pleased for the Munroes and wish them many more anniversaries.

knight_of_baawa

Postby knight_of_baawa » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:38 pm UTC

All the feels of this comic cannot be quantified.

The importance of each day with a loved one can't be underestimated. Most of us never think about the end until we get hit with it.

One of my sisters had diabetes and never took care of it. Her 50th birthday present was her first major amputation. A few more followed (total for both legs), plus triple bypass and gall bladder removal. Diabetic retinopathy nearly completely took her sight. Congestive heart failure and shot kidneys were taking a toll.

Last Friday, she died. She was 53.

Never take for granted each and every day you have with your loved ones, especially if they are facing something life-threatening. Promise yourselves to make every day count.

This comic shows that Randall doesn't take any day for granted. Here's to every day yet to come that he and his wife have, because every day is special.

jloucks

Postby jloucks » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:00 pm UTC

Seven years ago, my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 Ovarian cancer.
This comic really touched us.

Thank you, and best wishes!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:19 am UTC

Ahh, so many feels, I'm kinda misty!

Previously when I read xkcd cancer-related comics, cancer was something which happened to other people.
Now it's something I've survived. A year ago my hair was finally growing out again, but it came back super soft and slightly wavy.

I'm still in the stage of quarterly blood tests and occasional CT scans. I've gotten over worrying about the results, but there's some twisted part of me that misses it. Fighting cancer was one of the more interesting and adventurous things I've done in my life, and unlike what is depicted in this comic I'm struggling to even try to do anything else since.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:27 pm UTC

Adding my congratulations for seven years {"SEVVVENNN YEEEARRRSSS"}. And best wishes for seven, nah, SEVENTY years more.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

mikka

Postby mikka » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:47 pm UTC

Only signed up to say beautiful (and probably getting it wrong) my woman just had a scare and.. well you know.

mizterwizard

Postby mizterwizard » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:58 am UTC

This is catharsis for me but it doesn't necessarily mean anything to anybody else. Don't fee like you need to wade through it.

This hit too close to home for me.

https://xkcd.com/1928/

Fall of 2014 I had bowel "issues". By early 2015 it was beyond tolerable. The colonoscopy that I thought would show hemorrhoids or some such could not be completed because the scope wouldn't fit past the blockage. When the doctor showed me the pictures of the tumor I knew it was cancer.

Cell 9. This happened before the first doctor visit but when I knew something wasn't right. We could hardly be away from a rest room the whole trip because of the issues but we still saw some magnificent trees.

Cell 1. I got that call. Hopefully you never will.

Cell 2. Close but for me it was radiation 5 days a week and 7 pills 4 times a day at $350/pill for 3 months. No hair loss but other complications.

Cell 3. This was a trip to the Oregon coast but the timing was different. Cell 8 occurred on this trip.

Cell 4. There were lots of these. I'm not particularly impatient but it was pretty hard on my wife.

Cell 5. This didn't come until later. See below. This is a special place in the world. You can't understand until you have sat there so I won't try to explain.

Cell 6. It is one thing to see a doctor on TV tell somebody they have X to live. It is a whole nother thing to sit 4 feet away from a doctor with a sad face and have him tell you "You have 6 to 9 months." In February it means you've already celebrated your last Christmas. I'm older. I've had a life. Is it morally right to spend half a million dollars to extend my life a few years when the same money could add millennia if spent on health care for under served people around the world? It was the grand children that made me think it was worthwhile. I'm the only real grandfather most of them have.

Some people become their cancer in that they share it with everyone they know and hope for support. We didn't do that. Most people we know didn't know that anything was wrong and we kept it that way. When they would talk about the future we would just nod and smile. Next year........

Cell 7. We have been married for 45 years but things get a lot more serious when there isn't any time left. In a way it has been a blessing to have cancer because of the resulting closeness.

Cell 10. When your life is in the balance every little thing seems bigger than it did before. The internet is a great resource as well as a pool of worries. We put our future in the hands of the only one who can change it and let it be his will.

Cell 11. We never went spelunking but we have gone on a cruise, visited 5 foreign countries, and did several other things we would not have done otherwise.

Cell 12. Believe it or not, we also went to the everglades and saw alligators.

Cell 13. This is the worst one of all. It happened and it took me from cured of stage 2 to deep in stage 4. Until this scan came back it was all positive news. In my story cell 5 fits here. It's a strange thing to go someplace, have them hook you up to a machine that is going to nearly kill you and be happy about it. It's hard to know whether to hate them or love them. We chose the latter.

Cell 14. I don't know exactly what sort of adventure this is but if it is some sort of R/C submersible then we went snorkeling, which was amazing.

Cell 15. This is more truth than one might suspect. Nothing is the same. Every experience changes you but few are so transforming as cancer. To have someone to help you through it is special beyond words.

Cell 16- 20. These ones anchor of this whole story. We live just 3 miles from the edge of the totality. We thought about staying home and just watching it come to near totality but in the end we went to where it was total for over a minute Those who didn't make the effort made a big mistake. We surely want to see that again............oh so badly.

I've had 2 big operations. My stomach looks like I lost a fight with Wolverine. I'm winning the fight with cancer though.

A year after my diagnosis a woman we know got the same diagnosis. She has been gone now for 2 years. Her body just couldn't hold up to the ravages of the treatment so they had to let her go. She was half my age. She left behind 3 kids and a husband that needed her a lot more than the world needs me. You just never know what the future holds. Some say, why did this happen to me but I say, why was I spared?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”