1939: "2016 Election Map"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Steve_The_Beard

Re: 1939: "2016 Election Map"

Postby Steve_The_Beard » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:05 pm UTC

ivnja wrote:If that's still not working for some folks, I can try to put one together with shapes.

Thank you, I do appreciate your effort :-)

However, even though I don't consider myself to be "severely" colour-blind, it didn't actually help me. Shapes please :-)

Stargazer71

Postby Stargazer71 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:09 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:This is sarcasm, right? In Minnesota, we have a large population of Swedes. (Whether they fit in Mikeski's "Puppy Bowl" voting theory, I don't know.) But there are many ways one might 'ineligible to vote'. Assuming Convicted Felons are not 28% of the populace and/or non compos mentis ,we must also be including those not registered to vote....

THIS is sarcasm right? Did you really have that difficult of a time understanding what I was trying to say? How could a large population of Swedes in Minnesota have anything to do with the point I already made?

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:42 pm UTC

It might not be a particularly USEFUL chart, but it is what it says it is (assuming the numbers are correct, which I didn't check), a chart of all Americans. And my two preschool kids are Americans who didn't vote in 2016, and probably won't vote for at least a decade!
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:38 am UTC

Steve_The_Beard wrote:
ivnja wrote:If that's still not working for some folks, I can try to put one together with shapes.

Thank you, I do appreciate your effort :-)

However, even though I don't consider myself to be "severely" colour-blind, it didn't actually help me. Shapes please :-)

Okeydoke, I'll see what I can do tomorrow.
Hi you.
she/her

Leovan

Postby Leovan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:31 am UTC

mathmannix wrote:
Leovan wrote:Edit: looked it up. Minors make 24% of the US population and immigrants 13%. Implies immigrants were not included in "How America participated"

That 13% of the total U.S. population is ALL immigrants, most of whom become legalized citizens, and can (and many of whom do) vote.
Nobody knows for certain how many illegal immigrants there are, but it's probably close to 3.5 percent.

Why would you still count naturalized citizens as immigrants? But you're right.
48% from that statistic are naturalized citizens, so the ineligible to vote because immigrant group is about 7% of the total population. This includes illegals. Assuming the same 24% minor ratio, it's possible non-naturalized immigrants were included in the ineligible to vote category of the chart.
To be honest I'm surprised the US immigrant population is so small...

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:19 am UTC

How's this for color blind people?
Attachments
2016_election_map_large_bw.png
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
chridd (on Discord) wrote:
Dummy wrote:Sorry You're Gay Dads
SYG'D
marionic (on Discord) wrote:sleep in grave

Chicagojon

Postby Chicagojon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:13 pm UTC

owenneil wrote:I spent a while looking, but I give up. Where's Waldo?

He's the green guy near Tampa, FL that swung that state. Pretty sure those are his brothers in Madison, WI and (presumably) Ann Arbor, MI

Chicagojon

Postby Chicagojon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:17 pm UTC

Relevant map today as North Carolina's redistrcting has been struck down by a Federal judge.

Representatives are 3 Democrats/10 Republicans but it's pretty easy to see that the blue/red ratio on the map is 10/9.

Gee golly gosh, I wonder how such a thing may have happened????

Velo Steve

Postby Velo Steve » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:11 pm UTC

Steve_The_Beard wrote:Very interesting, but I'm disappointed.

So will be one man in twelve, and one woman in two hundred.

That's how many people share my imperfect colour vision. When I zoomed the image as far as possible I could finally see that the figures were actually in three different colours, but then I couldn't see the whole picture, or even a decent slice of it. Had you used three well-chosen different symbols, you'd have reached a larger audience.

I've never thought I had a color problem, but the green figures on this map were barely distinguishable from blue for me at first. Lately I have been using a "Blue/Orange Divergent" color map from https://datascience.lanl.gov/colormaps.html . It obviously can't help the truly color blind, but at least it avoids the most common red/green problem. It also has a range of darkness (value) which can be helpful. As I read while choosing that colormap, "red and green should never be seen" (together in a chart).

Tinfoil666

Postby Tinfoil666 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:09 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Is it possibly intentional (and covered by approximate location within the state, either way, as a get-out) that Michigan UP has no voters marked down?

I assumed that this was a tally of actual votes, not potential voters.
If no candidate received 125k+ votes from those precincts (which is likely if the total population is <350k), then there should not be any separate marks on the map.

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:18 pm UTC

hailspork wrote:I would[...]for just me.
Steve_The_Beard wrote:Shapes please :-)

chridd's post above is probably a better way of doing it, in that the two main parties are visible without having to zoom in, but here's a shapes-based version. Clinton voters lean left, Trump lean right. Best viewed at close to full-size.
Spoiler:
Election_map_OBG.png
Hi you.
she/her

akk

Postby akk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:20 pm UTC

bheliker wrote:[citation needed] !!
Anyone know where he gets his source data?

Best source I can find so far: https://data.opendatasoft.com/explore/d ... ic/export/

I'd like to know that too. I did a search about a month after the election and the opendatasoft data, scraped from the New York Times and available in a few different places and formats, was the best I found. I never did find anything official, and I'm not having much more luck now. The FEC has results by state but not by county or precinct; any more detailed national results I've found are either non-free, or scraped.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:24 am UTC

I took the 'approximate location within the state' part to mean that attempts to place the mini-voters across the states had to be done, smudgily, by shoving otherwise unknown group-locations into a pattern generally matching a population density hot-spot map. Data pertaining to "this particular settlement of quarter of a million voted all this way/that way" not being available, the marker of a particular type is laid down on a patch of ¼mil people in a stippled way that might indeed be inaccurate to the ground conditions but the inaccuracies happening both ways. The overall 'state of the state' being accurate.

(Also why the UP has no men in it, as I noted. Whether or not there deserve to be one or maybe a few sparse men dotting around this quieter area, somewhere where there is a large enough township or band of rural-level connurnation, if all the little men for the whole state were 'used up' in the other parts by way of rounding-up errors then that space is left devoid of markers. As may be other open areas of other states, though not so obviously so without the obvious geographic separation as well.)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:35 am UTC

There is definitely county-by-county data on party preference available, so I'd imagine that would make a better source for approximate little man placement than raw population density would.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:04 am UTC

Yup. I've seen the county-by-county maps used to show "look, it's red everywhere (except for some splodges over at the coasts, etc, that just happen to be some of the largest and densest-by-population metropolitan areas, but that doesn't really suit our message that most of the area of the US supported our guy)" and that's probably part of what was used. But with few places having outright all-red or all-blue (or all-other) in convenient quarter-mill lumps, we're back to using an imprecise stippling/dithering method to give an impression, with an obvious departure from reality if you zoomed in on a particular area and tried to match map to on-the-ground Truth.

But that's just me "that's how I would have done it" explanation. TIMTOWTDI.

Stargazer71

Postby Stargazer71 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:27 pm UTC

Chicagojon wrote:Relevant map today as North Carolina's redistrcting has been struck down by a Federal judge.

Representatives are 3 Democrats/10 Republicans but it's pretty easy to see that the blue/red ratio on the map is 10/9.

Gee golly gosh, I wonder how such a thing may have happened????

Yes, because such behavior is never engaged in by Democrats ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Maryland_US_Congressional_District_3_(since_2013).tif
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Maryland_US_Congressional_District_2_(since_2013).tif

... Whoops! ... gee golly gosh. I wonder how THOSE district boundaries were drawn.

eclecticos

Postby eclecticos » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:37 am UTC

Bob Stein - VisiBone wrote:
Marximus wrote:Great idea, but it doesn't really tell the story. The people who did not vote at all should be represented, as well.

Great idea. I'd love to see ghost icons for eligible voters who didn't vote. And for the even more ghostly ineligible voters: minors, felons, illegal immigrants, aliens in area-51 cryovats.

Yes! I came to this forum specifically to make this suggestion.
  • For eligible voters who didn't vote, I'd use dark gray. This population is a sleeping giant. Shows the potential to both parties of increasing turnout.
  • For additional population not eligible to vote, I'd use light gray. These people do affect the electoral college representation.
  • I'd add a few more light gray icons, not shaped like people, so that the total ink in each state is proportional to its weight in the electoral college.
The population of the U.S. in 2016 was 323.4M. So at the current rate of one icon per 250K people, showing the full population would take 1294 icons. Dividing these among 436 electoral votes (435 reps + 1 for DC) means almost exactly 3 icons per electoral vote. That doesn't yet count the extra electoral votes that correspond to the senators. So each state, and also DC, would get an extra 6 non-person icons.

The map would be a bit crowded by now. So I'd probably change to one icon per 750K people. Or better, one per 500K people and make the icons a bit smaller. Maybe show half-icons in the low-population states: there are 7 states with only 500K-1M people total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”