1946: "Hawaii"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Keyman

1946: "Hawaii"

Postby Keyman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:46 pm UTC

Title text: Ok, I've got it, just need to plug in my security key. Hmm, which way does the USB go? Nope, not that way. I'll just flip it and– OH JEEZ IT FELL INTO THE VENT.

Hmmmm... this comic the day after somebody bumped the BHG and his Pass-word reuse dilemma? https://xkcd.com/792/

cellocgw

Re: 1946: "Hawaii"

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:00 pm UTC

I recognize that Randall is as, errr...., bemused as any of us over the Hawaii EWS Charlie Foxtrot, but given that there are ongoing flame wars in any number of fora about GUI design, Fail-Safe, Twitter, and Gullible People, I fail to see the redeeming social value of this particular drawing.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:17 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:[irrelevant-seeming details about who is ranting on the internet about what]... I fail to see the redeeming social value of this particular drawing.

Eh?

twistolime

Postby twistolime » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:22 pm UTC

Well, cellocgw is entitled to their own opinion, but I kinda loved this one. I think I live out a very low-stakes version of this nightmare pretty much every day.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:28 pm UTC

Reka wrote:
cellocgw wrote:[irrelevant-seeming details about who is ranting on the internet about what]... I fail to see the redeeming social value of this particular drawing.

Eh?

The referenced flame wars are specifically about those topics as regards the Hawaii warning system design and implementation.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:39 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:The referenced flame wars are specifically about those topics as regards the Hawaii warning system design and implementation.

I get that. What I fail to understand is what possible relevance they have to the interpretation or enjoyment of this comic.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:49 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Reka wrote:

Eh?

The referenced flame wars are specifically about those topics as regards the Hawaii warning system design and implementation.

Eh?
—◯-◯

squall_line

Postby squall_line » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:02 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I fail to see the redeeming social value of this particular drawing.

So this particular drawing is obscene? Is there a prurient interest to which it appeals? (note: mental self-gratitude doesn't count).

Also,
cellocgw wrote:I recognize that Randall is as, errr...., bemused as any of us

You use that word, but I do not think it means what you think it means.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:26 pm UTC

squall_line wrote:

You mean "ceemused" isn't the same thing only even more so?

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:01 pm UTC

In a bad combination of mild paranoia (meaning I don't use online password managers), aversion to password reuse (thanks at least in part to https://xkcd.com/792/, meaning I try not to reuse passwords), the acquisition of a new home computer and the retirement of the old computer without setting anything up to transfer anything from the old to the new, I've been going through less urgent versions of this for several sites over the last several months.

Also notoriously troublesome have been access to my bank account and work payroll system which require periodic password resets, which end up happening about as often as I log into those accounts - variously at home and/or at work and/or on my phone. I have set up and still have stored in different locations (sometimes multiple times in the same password manager) well over a dozen different passwords for the bank login and am currently locked out waiting for me to walk into the bank and get things reset again for the nth time.
Security questions don't help either (because they are supposed to be like passwords only easier to remember, or something like that otherwise they are potentially a weak link in the chain).

Hopefully having the new computer set up and being a little more disciplined about keeping track of my passwords and login details should alleviate this problem for the next few years.

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:32 pm UTC

I'm surprised that in 2018, the "something we know" part of the security triad is still a string of ascii characters,which "ought to" change frequently and be different on every device.
The problem isn't that users are stupid, it is that the inmates are running the asylum. The "something" we "have, know, and are" is friends, and authentication should be an automated and secure way to rely on that. Politicians have more "friends" than most, and their friends network should be activated to start and stop such alerts.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:24 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
squall_line wrote:

Shall I demuse you all?

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:43 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
squall_line wrote:

Shall I demuse you all?

That'd be quite eemusing.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:32 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
squall_line wrote:

Shall I demuse you all?

I'm quite femused to find out what's next - gemuse is just an umlaut away from vegetables, after all.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:35 am UTC

Reka wrote:
freezeblade wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
squall_line wrote:

Shall I demuse you all?

I'm quite femused to find out what's next - gemuse is just an umlaut away from vegetables, after all.

Apparently, "hemuse" means "male two-year-old roe deer," or at least it once did, according to the 105-year-old dictionary entry that appears to be the best google can come up with.

I think I prefer "femuse," which has a nice Futurama ring to it.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:29 pm UTC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-24/hawaii-governor-admits-he-forgot-twitter-password-in-false-alarm/9355364] wrote: The warning triggered panic among residents, who gathered family members, ran out onto the streets and desperately sought shelter as they awaited the attack.

At least there is a silver lining; we now know that Hawaii is not prepared to protect citizens form a ballistic missile.

Stargazer71

Postby Stargazer71 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:10 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-24/hawaii-governor-admits-he-forgot-twitter-password-in-false-alarm/9355364] wrote: The warning triggered panic among residents, who gathered family members, ran out onto the streets and desperately sought shelter as they awaited the attack.

At least there is a silver lining; we now know that Hawaii is not prepared to protect citizens form a ballistic missile.

Or is prepared to warn them at least.

Stargazer71

Postby Stargazer71 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:11 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I recognize that Randall is as, errr...., bemused as any of us over the Hawaii EWS Charlie Foxtrot, but given that there are ongoing flame wars in any number of fora about GUI design, Fail-Safe, Twitter, and Gullible People, I fail to see the redeeming social value of this particular drawing.

Acting offended to a joke doesn't make you superior. This is the best comic he's had in a long time.

Netreker0

Postby Netreker0 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:20 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:
ABC wrote: The warning triggered panic among residents, who gathered family members, ran out onto the streets and desperately sought shelter as they awaited the attack.

Too be fair, it's not entirely Hawaii's job. In terms of providing adequate air shelters and a civil defense plan, we as a nation decided a long time ago that the risk was remote enough that the cost of building enough shelters and implementing a civil defense plan wasn't worth the limited mitigation we could practically achieve in the nuclear age.

This comic just reminded me of strange it is that, in a world where we're able to send text, voice, and even decent video messages in real time, using infrastructure primarily funded by advertising and the exploitation of our personal data by some random tech company, emergency broadcasts over digital TV networks still sound like Stephen Hawking's voice synthesizer over a 50 year old PA system. The most effective defense would be to intercept the missile before it goes terminal, and only the national military/federal government is even remotely positioned to have those capabilities. In terms of short range ballistic missiles and the very, very slim chance of downing an ICBM on its way down, Hawaii's probably better positioned than most of us since they're the ones with Airleigh Burke class destroyers parked nearby.

Building effective shelters in Hawaii positioned so that people can actually reach them in time would likely require a substantial amount of construction beneath buildings on privately owned land. Between the cost and the legal hurdles, it's a tough proposition.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:12 pm UTC

People panicked, which is the incorrect response to situation. Panic can be prevented by providing preemptive information. f that is not possible then the state could just send instructions with the message. I am not sure what those instructions would be, but the result would probably be better than panicking. If there is nothing citizens could do, then why even send the message?

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:38 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:If there is nothing citizens could do, then why even send the message?

I think the old joke is "Bend over. Put your head between your legs. And kiss your ass good-bye".
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:43 pm UTC

GlassHouses wrote:
Reka wrote:
freezeblade wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
squall_line wrote:

Shall I demuse you all?

Apparently, "hemuse" means "male two-year-old roe deer," or at least it once did, according to the 105-year-old dictionary entry that appears to be the best google can come up with.

I think I prefer "femuse," which has a nice Futurama ring to it.

I was expecting "efmuse" rather than "femuse", but I'm hardly an expert on non-existent words.

teelo

Postby teelo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:09 pm UTC

My government did a test message a few months ago. It surprised me how much control over my phone Android gives away to them by default. It made a loud siren noise then activated the Text-to-speech. Things I never expected them to be able to do.

First thing I did was googled how to revoke their access to text-to-speech. Even in a genuine emergency I don't need that shit. Then I changed the alert noise to something less annoying.

Also lol'd at "Presidential Alert". Yeah. My country totally has a president. Uh huh.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:24 am UTC

teelo wrote:My government did a test message a few months ago. It surprised me how much control over my phone Android gives away to them by default. It made a loud siren noise then activated the Text-to-speech. Things I never expected them to be able to do.

First thing I did was googled how to revoke their access to text-to-speech. Even in a genuine emergency I don't need that shit. Then I changed the alert noise to something less annoying.

Also lol'd at "Presidential Alert". Yeah. My country totally has a president. Uh huh.

Where do you live?
What was the alert?
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:58 am UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:
teelo wrote:My government did a test message a few months ago. It surprised me how much control over my phone Android gives away to them by default. It made a loud siren noise then activated the Text-to-speech. Things I never expected them to be able to do.

Where do you live?
What was the alert?

New Zealand. It was a test alert, about a page long, I don't recall everything but the gist was blah blah blah test message blah blah not a real emergency blah this website blah blah you cannot opt out from these alerts* blah blah.

* the hell I can't. Determination made me find a way.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:42 pm UTC

teelo wrote:Also lol'd at "Presidential Alert". Yeah. My country totally has a president. Uh huh.

That sounds like a very important thing to be alerted about.
"Presidential Alert! An incoming president has been detected. This is not a test; seek shelter immediately!"

The USA already has a presidential alert, but it always goes off about 12 months early and the saturation of TV and radio messages is really annoying.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:35 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:If there is nothing citizens could do, then why even send the message?

I'm reminded of the infamous text message the Hungarian government managed to send about half a day after a blizzard of epic proportions has blocked most roads and trapped thousands of people in their cars.
We'll help! Don't leave your vehicle. If you run out of fuel, get into a different vehicle. Ministry of Interior

I think I don't need to mention how much this was ridiculed later.
—◯-◯

CatCube

Postby CatCube » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:10 am UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:People panicked, which is the incorrect response to situation. Panic can be prevented by providing preemptive information. f that is not possible then the state could just send instructions with the message. I am not sure what those instructions would be, but the result would probably be better than panicking. If there is nothing citizens could do, then why even send the message?

There's a lot people can do. A guy was 560 feet from ground zero at Hiroshima and survived another 37 years. Now, he survived only because he was in the basement and everybody else in the building was killed, but nuclear weapons are a lot more survivable than people think.

So what can people do? Get indoors, into basements or interior rooms. If you can't do that, duck and cover. I know that lots of people sneer at that; these people are morons. Yeah, if the explosion flattens the building you're in, ducking under a desk won't help. However, it probably won't flatten the building you're in. The explosion from a nuclear weapon is big, relative to, say, a 2000-lb truck bomb, but it's small compared to a metropolitan area. Also, the biggest concern right now is North Korea*, and their weapons probably aren't that accurate yet; it took the US and Soviet Union decades to work out how to drop a missile on a relatively small circle.

So the odds are good that you, personally, won't be in the area of total destruction. So the danger to you, personally, is probably getting caught outside and exposed to prompt radiation causing burns, partial destruction of a building resulting in something falling on you, or glass from a window getting blown in and killing you with shrapnel. Notice that even ducking under a desk will dramatically increase your chances of survival if you're in the areas where this is a concern. Getting into an interior room is much better, and a basement means that unless you're one of the unlucky ones right next to ground zero, you're very probably going to live through it. So get inside, get under cover, and for the love of God don't do something stupid like shit on your boss's desk or cheat on your wife. Aside from very likely having to explain that later, you're wasting valuable time that you can use to save yourself.

In the aftermath, the dangers are running out of food or drinking water. So if you're at home, have those on hand so you can survive until help arrives.

Take note, that all of the stuff I just said for surviving applies to natural disasters, especially tornadoes.

(* It's dismaying how many people actually got scared by this; I mean, Trump's twits are stupid, dangerous, and could lead us to war, but they're stupid, dangerous, and could lead us to war in complicated ways. After the President bags on the Norks, they may respond with shelling a South Korean island, then we respond with sanctions or naval maneuvers, they do some further provocation, we build up massive numbers of troops on their border, they shell our troop encampments, we invade, they fire nukes because they have very little hope of winning a straight-up ground war. They're not going to go "Trump said mean things about us on Twitter! Push the Red Button!" That is the act of a lunatic or an idiot, and if the North Koreans were stupid or crazy, their government probably would have collapsed long ago. They're unfortunately quite competently evil. If people seriously are unaware of the fact that we have very little in the way of major buildups on the Korean peninsula and think that we're literally this close to war, well, that kind of ignorance is scary.)

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:34 am UTC

They probably should have sent out a message saying, "Warning! We have reason to believe citizens in your area are in danger. Please [insert instructions]." Just saying a threat is coming and nothing more doesn't really help anyone.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”