1948: "Campaign Fundraising Emails"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

squall_line

1948: "Campaign Fundraising Emails"

Postby squall_line » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:40 pm UTC

Alt-text: "The establishment doesn't take us seriously. You know who else they didn't take seriously? Hitler. I'll be like him, but a GOOD guy instead of..."

My favorite has to be "Who 'lost the election last week'". It happens around here often with local candidates who don't give up even after losing an election by dozens of points.

sotanaht

Re: 1948: "Campaign Fundraising Emails"

Postby sotanaht » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:54 pm UTC

I'd vote for the "I will lead the fight" guy.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:59 pm UTC

Only a quitter stops when the election is over. Are you a quitter? Besides, you can never start campaigning too early for the next election. So what if you're out of money, lost by such an embarrassing amount that pundits will have jokes for years and rules governing candidacy will be rewritten, your concession speech was a drunken hodgepodge of conspiracy theories, you weren't even technically eligible to have run in the first place, you don't. ever. quit.

It's like Doctor Who - once they announce the next person, before that actor has even started filming any scenes, we're now free to relax and start speculating on a successor.
Last edited by pkcommando on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:59 pm UTC

... feeling sad that my campaign slogan wasn't in his list...

It's in my .sig -- that thing nobody every looks at
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:16 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:... feeling sad that my campaign slogan wasn't in his list...

It's in my .sig -- that thing nobody every looks at

Yeah, but if "Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" didn't work for Gerald Ford, then it's probably for the best if we just forget about it.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

J%r

Postby J%r » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:21 pm UTC

I had to read a bit more closely as usual, as my mind usually blocks anything that looks like an advert.

DavidSh

Postby DavidSh » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:49 pm UTC

Pleasantly surprised to see the Tolkien quote there. I don't see how it would work as a request for money, though.

Plasma_Wolf

Postby Plasma_Wolf » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:06 pm UTC

Are you familiar with the Dutch painter Hieronymus Bosch? His work illustrates my opponent's plan for...

I really wonder what kind of a person this opponent is, that this sort of thing illustrates his plans accurately:

Nuvector

Postby Nuvector » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:37 pm UTC

DavidSh wrote:Pleasantly surprised to see the Tolkien quote there. I don't see how it would work as a request for money, though.

"Like rain on the mountain..."
If only more politicians were cognizant of the ephemeral nature of campaign funding.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:06 pm UTC

Plasma_Wolf wrote:I really wonder what kind of a person this opponent is, that this sort of thing illustrates his plans accurately:

IIRC, that triptych illustrates the fall of man from the innocence of Earth's original paradise through the sin of the mortal world today and the dire consequences that that sin will bring in the future. So, the email is saying that that opponent is going to bring about the collapse of human civilization.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:40 pm UTC

Come on people, what are we doing? This was Godwined in the alt-text. [head-scratching emoticon],[winkey-face emoticon]

niauropsaka

Postby niauropsaka » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:50 pm UTC

At first I just read the bolded text, down the column, reading the final row as I thought it was the punchline. "Meh," I thought. Campaign fundraising emails, like the kind I've seen many times, eventually turning into a Nigerian email scam, or a parody of one.

BUT THEN I WENT BACK AND READ EVERY LINE. This is really funny! Randall Munroe is an amazing humorist.

But, you know, he's also a scientist by training. And that university education informs and strengthens his work on XKCD.

Our culture is stronger when we have more scientists, and more humor writers, and even scientists who write humor. And universities are where we get all of them. Not just any universities, either: Affordable, publicly funded universities.

That's one of my political priorities as I run for Congress. I will always vote to keep university subsidies high enough to keep tuition low and scholarships available, to educate the next Randall Munroe without leaving him or her in crushing debt.

I don't need you to donate, but I do need you to vote. Vote for me, and for other candidates who share this vision. Because a world without XKCD would be less funny, less informed, less able to cope, and a lot sadder.

But if you do want to donate, click on this button and pay what you can.

[PAYPAL BUTTON REDACTED]

Nia Psaka, candidate for Congress.

niauropsaka

Postby niauropsaka » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm UTC

sotanaht wrote:I'd vote for the "I will lead the fight" guy.

That was some Dubya Bush style of rhetoric.

Old Bruce wrote:Come on people, what are we doing? This was Godwined in the alt-text. [head-scratching emoticon],[winkey-face emoticon]

My response to the title-text was, "Too soon." Ahem.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:15 pm UTC

sotanaht wrote:I'd vote for the "I will lead the fight" guy.

I favour that nice dark-skinned chap myself.

drachefly

Postby drachefly » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 pm UTC

niauropsaka wrote:At first I just read the bolded text...

applause.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:01 pm UTC

[✓] That pilot. I'm with her!

(If under STV, put down the single mom as my next choice. And the heiress, herself, third.)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:45 pm UTC

Plasma_Wolf wrote:I really wonder what kind of a person this opponent is, that this sort of thing illustrates his plans accurately:

Libertarian (current pot-legalization-only incarnation)... maybe the Green Party if you're dyslexic...

Old Bruce wrote:Come on people, what are we doing? This was Godwined in the alt-text.

I'm pretty sure comparing yourself to Good Hitler is not covered by Godwin's Law. That's sort of a double-reverse-Godwinning.

(Hm, now that I check, Godwin just said "the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches 1"; it doesn't require you compare someone else to Hitler. So just a Reverse Godwin for contrasting oneself against him.)

Fungo4

Postby Fungo4 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:04 am UTC

The question I have for you all is, did you read them top to bottom, or in chronological order?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:15 am UTC

I assumed top to bottom was chronological order, because what kind of monster would sort any other way.

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:54 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

IIRC, that triptych illustrates the fall of man from the innocence of Earth's original paradise through the sin of the mortal world today and the dire consequences that that sin will bring in the future. So, the email is saying that that opponent is going to bring about the collapse of human civilization.

Yeah, but it’s got some really cool musical instruments in it, so it’s not all bad

aerion111

Postby aerion111 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:42 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I assumed top to bottom was chronological order, because what kind of monster would sort any other way.

My kind of monster.
See, I READ top-to-bottom, which means it's best if the important info is at the top.
And new mail is more important than old mail, especially if the new mail is unread and the old mail is read.
I want descending date (newest first/top) when looking for mostly-independent new instances (sometimes mails are related, and then I usually confuse myself by responding to the newest first, but it's usually not a big problem)
I want ascending date (so, normal chronological order, oldest first/top and then progressing forward/down) when I'm going through a 'record' or other sequence of related content.
Like a forum thread; I do agree it'd be madness to not sort chronologically there. You'd end up having to read each post top-down (with rather few exceptions; Even when languages are written vertically, it's still usually top-down), but then go between posts bottom-up to follow the sequence.

speising

Postby speising » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:56 am UTC

aerion111 wrote:You'd end up having to read each post top-down (with rather few exceptions; Even when languages are written vertically, it's still usually top-down), but then go between posts bottom-up to follow the sequence.

you mean, like in email threads, as it has become the custom in "recent" years to add your reply on top?

chrisjwmartin

Postby chrisjwmartin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:13 am UTC

Fungo4 wrote:The question I have for you all is, did you read them top to bottom, or in chronological order?

I instinctively started reading bottom-to-top, but realised they were getting less ridiculous instead of more, so started again from the top as seemed to be intended.

DanD

Postby DanD » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:21 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:Only a quitter stops when the election is over. Are you a quitter? .

In a lot of cases, campaigns actually end up in debt. And it's easier to say "we'll continue to fight" than to say "Welp, we lost, help us pay for it anyway".

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:02 pm UTC

speising wrote:you mean, like in email threads, as it has become the custom in "recent" years to add your reply on top?

You do well to quote "recent" (or type ""recent""?) as I blame Outlook Express. And the Eternal September. And WebTV. And… Anyway, now more than two decades ago.

That's despite it being infinitely more logical that:
Someone writes:
> With a question?
You answer it.

> And if they have a further question?
You can answer that too, inter-bottom-posting.

And then you can see if the quote pyramid(s) get(^s) far too large and trim. Especially useful for when one forwards a long correspondence to a third party and forget that somewhere near the beginning (or bottom-posting end) of the correspondence the initial conversation involved awkward or insulting comments about Third Party, which they now get to read because you're encouraged to be lazy in your trimming!

/old fogey signing out.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:01 pm UTC

Me too.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:05 pm UTC

aerion111 wrote:Like a forum thread; I do agree it'd be madness to not sort chronologically there. You'd end up having to read each post top-down (with rather few exceptions; Even when languages are written vertically, it's still usually top-down), but then go between posts bottom-up to follow the sequence.

Years ago now, on the SE4 forums, a number of us regulars used the toggle to put most recent posts first in the threads.
Between the size of the community, and the frequency of checking, only the last two or three posts would be new, and the context would still be in wet memory so it was handy to have them appear above the fold on page load.
For a while it was a challenge with a few successes to get a full answer to somebody's question with an identical timestamp to the question post (1 minute resolution)

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:18 pm UTC

Dammit, Randall, are you hacking my email inbox again?

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:55 am UTC

Am I the only person who noticed the only emals marked as read were from female candidates?
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:32 pm UTC

Plasma_Wolf wrote:
Are you familiar with the Dutch painter Hieronymus Bosch? His work illustrates my opponent's plan for...

I really wonder what kind of a person this opponent is, that this sort of thing illustrates his plans accurately:

The attack ad would be more effective if they were comparing their opponent to Gustave Dore's works.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:11 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:Am I the only person who noticed the only emals marked as read were from female candidates?

If you're thinking the ones without the bolded text have been read, I'm not sure I think that just means they don't have a subject title?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:37 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:
RogueCynic wrote:Am I the only person who noticed the only emals marked as read were from female candidates?

If you're thinking the ones without the bolded text have been read, I'm not sure I think that just means they don't have a subject title?

I'm not familiar with how that (composite/inspired-by?) mail-client interface works. There seems no obvious consistency between what is head-formatted in bold and what isn't. It can't be "Bold the title, then run on with the starting text in nonbold" without subjects like "Are you familiar" (..."with the Dutch painter (…)" as message body), and I may have been hiding under a rock, but I've never seen that. Maybe "Subject: Are you familiar with..." and Body "...the Dutch painter (…)", but even that presumes a common email standard that the message summary runs things on most of the time, and I'd take the subject all the way over to the question mark after "Bosch", to work with any sensible presentation.

Not that I wouldn't put it past some "new standard" popularising this weird format (perhaps some syntactical interpreter that extracted none or some of the initial Subject+Body to be highlighted, or always but downgrade read messages by nobolding the whole thing. But things have obviously been much corrupted since the likes of RFC 2822 (8-bit character data, necessary MIME-extending to shove XHTML/embedded-imagry, totally ignoring the 78-character advisory and 998-character mandatory line-limits, etc) and I don't consider myself proficient in writing a decent mail-handler, any more…

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:40 am UTC

I read it top to bottom, which seemed to be the logical way.
But I can't find anything significant about the bolded text whichever way I read it.

Somebody please donate to our campaign!
Once you give, our real campaign can begin
Told not to support our campaign? Ignore!
Me: the person you want in charge of everything!
The world was gonna be ours, but we ran out of money, please send more
Roll me into an early grave, why don't you? That's what you're doing by not supporting my run at office.
I'm not the smartest tool in the shed.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:44 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Mutex wrote:

I'm not familiar with how that (composite/inspired-by?) mail-client interface works. There seems no obvious consistency between what is head-formatted in bold and what isn't. It can't be "Bold the title, then run on with the starting text in nonbold" without subjects like "Are you familiar" (..."with the Dutch painter (…)" as message body), and I may have been hiding under a rock, but I've never seen that. Maybe "Subject: Are you familiar with..." and Body "...the Dutch painter (…)", but even that presumes a common email standard that the message summary runs things on most of the time, and I'd take the subject all the way over to the question mark after "Bosch", to work with any sensible presentation.

Not that I wouldn't put it past some "new standard" popularising this weird format (perhaps some syntactical interpreter that extracted none or some of the initial Subject+Body to be highlighted, or always but downgrade read messages by nobolding the whole thing. But things have obviously been much corrupted since the likes of RFC 2822 (8-bit character data, necessary MIME-extending to shove XHTML/embedded-imagry, totally ignoring the 78-character advisory and 998-character mandatory line-limits, etc) and I don't consider myself proficient in writing a decent mail-handler, any more…

The only possibility that makes sense to me is the bold text is the subject, and the rest is the start of the email body. Which means some don't have subject titles, which would be very odd for a campaign fundraising email. But, rule of funny.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:38 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:The only possibility that makes sense to me is the bold text is the subject, and the rest is the start of the email body. Which means some don't have subject titles, which would be very odd for a campaign fundraising email. But, rule of funny.

That requires both technical and literary competence from the sort of people who do political fundraising... assumes facts not in evidence.

"Who puts a title on a letter? Isn't this like a letter? We aren't sending a fund-raising memo!"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”