1949: "Fruit Collider"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dexeron

Re: 1949: "Fruit Collider"

Postby dexeron » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:51 pm UTC

Little did we realize that Pikotaro is actually a particle physicist working on creating stable fruit combinations.

https://youtu.be/0E00Zuayv9Q
By and by, when the sidewalks are safe for the little guy...

Cougar Allen

Postby Cougar Allen » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:15 am UTC

What happens if you combine a lime and a coconut?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:38 am UTC

Cougar Allen wrote:What happens if you combine a lime and a coconut?

Then you feel better.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:44 pm UTC

From memory:
The Raspberries
The Cranberries
Moby Grape
Bananarama
1910 Fruitgum Company
The California Raisins (well that's a stretch)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Godsguy

Postby Godsguy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:49 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:They always say that when life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade.

Problem for me is that life keeps giving me onions and trying to make me believe they're lemons.

If you aren't making french onion soup on a daily basis, you are missing out. Low and slow....... lots of cheese.
There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats - Ken Grahame (Wind in the Willows)

richP

Postby richP » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:23 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
niauropsaka wrote:Tomatoes reconnoitre in force, as victims of killer tomatoes have learnt. A lone forward runner would be pasted quickly.
And, if in retreat, slower examples would be encouraged to stay with the main crowd, or be smashed to pulp to the cries of. "Ketchup!"

Sorry, I'm a little to petrified to laugh.
(for the QT fans out there...)

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:29 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:From memory:
The Raspberries
The Cranberries
Moby Grape
Bananarama
1910 Fruitgum Company
The California Raisins (well that's a stretch)

So is Strawberry Alarm Clock (and their imitators, Chocolate Watch Band).

Q: What are Raspberries, Cream, Bread and Vanilla Fudge?
A: The four food groups.

(Used to do that one back when those were the only ones I could think of. Now we've got Black Eyed Peas, Vanilla Ice, Wild Cherry, Meat Loaf, Peaches & Herb....)

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:11 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:But how does it explain the Durian fruit?
Looks like a big spikey cannonball of doom (can weigh more than 7 pounds), smells like death (or baby diapers, after eating nothing but tropical fruit for a week), and has an consumptive experience much like chowing down on a big (spiky) bowl of almond flavored custard in a public latrine.
Spoiler:

For the last time, I didn't see the Hedgehog in there when I turned on the collider, OK?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:47 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
petz wrote:This comic made me ask if there isn't a periodic table of fruit elements. I wonder how you would sort that? And which elemental fruits could you put on it? Like only mandarin and grapefruit but not orange, because it's a mix of the first two.

Ask and ye shall receive

I spent an inordinately long time staring at that low resolution image trying to figure out what the columns were supposed to represent (why are lemon and grapefruit in the same column but not orange?).

That chart is what happens when artists try to science.

Yeah, that kind of thing really bugs me. The Great Bear by Simon Patterson is my classic example of this kind of thing. Artist has an amusing idea: make a tube (London Underground) map with famous current and historical figures instead of station names:
Spoiler:

.. but then totally fails. Somehow Mr Patterson missed the obvious conclusion that the names on the intersecting stations should be those of people who fit into both (or multiple) categories. So the intersection between Musicians and Louis (Immanuel Kant???) should be Louis Armstrong ; Leonardo, not Titian, should be at the interchange between Engineers and Italian Artists. It would be tricky for the lines that run alongside one another for multiple stations, like the District & Circle, but then you could choose categories with a lot of overlap, like Musicians and Composers.

It's a total lack of clarity of thought and it bugs me every time I see it.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:11 pm UTC

I have that on my wall. (A reproduction, thereof.) I see it pretty much every day, and i think the same as you. But there are meeting points that don't seem to have obvious crossover (Planets and Sinologues => Mars?) and I am left wondering what Saintly Journalistic Explorer would reside at Hammersmith. Never mind places like King's Cross.

(I've toyed many a time with choosing my own lists that crossover with practical (or punny) match-ups, but it has so far eluded me, even on that out-of-date layout, set before several network changes that have added further lines and connections.)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:19 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:I have that on my wall. (A reproduction, thereof.) I see it pretty much every day, and i think the same as you. But there are meeting points that don't seem to have obvious crossover (Planets and Sinologues => Mars?) and I am left wondering what Saintly Journalistic Explorer would reside at Hammersmith. Never mind places like King's Cross.

(I've toyed many a time with choosing my own lists that crossover with practical (or punny) match-ups, but it has so far eluded me, even on that out-of-date layout, set before several network changes that have added further lines and connections.)

Sure, he literally painted himself into a figurative corner there, but he got to choose what categories corresponded to each line. He could have gone for anything.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:28 pm UTC

("...my own lists..." - meant as "my own choice of subjects", rather than my own subset of the already chosen subjects. I've spent a long time trying all kinds of combinations, and if Patterson had done that before releasing a perfected piece then it probably wouldn't have happened. Or it would have had to have been something simpler, like the Newcastle or maybe Boston Metros that just don't go as complicated. Or finding that the Paris/Berlin/Moscow systems actually work for some happenstance combination, but all without the same visual aesthetic (and 'recognition') being pursued and granted.)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:58 pm UTC

My bad - I responded to your first paragraph and clearly didn't read the parenthetical addition properly. I can well imagine that it's one of those things that seems easy but rapidly gets difficult, like filling in a blank crossword grid with random words. I'm glad that you warned me before I started trying to do my own version.

On the subject of clever tube maps, we have this anagram tube map by Steve Prentice up in the office. For me, it's a much superior work of art to The Great Bear. (The Great Bear? Even the title is bollocks!).

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:54 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:and clearly didn't read the parenthetical addition properly.
I didn't write it unambiguously enough. Garden path sentence, leading you to a different conclusion.

I'm glad that you warned me before I started trying to do my own version.
I am but one man. Don't let me stop you, succeeding where I have failed!

I absolutely love the anagram one, though.

(And I understand the name to come from the 'constellation' nature of the map, with semi-reminiscent lines and boxes, reversing the arbitrary linking and naming of spots in the sky to the arbitrary naming of spots already linked on(/under) the ground. Not sure if I read that on a label/review piece, overheard someone talking possible-bollocks whilst in the Tate Modern (an artform in itself!) or just spouted it out myself in order to look like a proper art critic during some odd part in my life.)

Eternal Density

Re: 1949: "Fruit Collider = Banana Boat"

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:35 am UTC

Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”