Do I need permission

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KarmanMonkey

Do I need permission

Postby KarmanMonkey » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:54 pm UTC

On the about page, it basically says that I can reproduce xkcd comics as long as it's for a not for profit organization (and site my source, of course)

The tricky thing is that I work at a publicly funded hospital that's kinda-sorta non-profit, but it's gray-ish? (just google Ontario Hospital Funding to see how... interesting... it is)

ANYWAY, I am on a committee for an anti-stigma campaign the hospital runs. It aims to reduce/eliminate prejudice and discrimination against those with mental health and addictions issues. It's jointly funded by the hospital and the hospital's charitable foundation.

I'd love to use some of these amazing comics to illustrate a point or points... Do I need to ask permission, or does this fall under the Creative Commons licence?

Pfhorrest

Re: Do I need permission

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:00 pm UTC

This isn't an official answer because I'm just a reader, but looking at the site, I see at the bottom:

"This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License."

With a link to that license for details, but yeah basically if you're not distributing it for profit, just give credit and you should be fine.

You're concerned about whether your hospital usage really counts as non-profit, but on the About page, at the top, it says:

"Note: You are welcome to reprint occasional comics pretty much anywhere (presentations, papers, blogs with ads, etc). If you're not outright merchandizing, you're probably fine. Just be sure to attribute the comic to xkcd.com."

So if you just want to use a few strips to illustrate something, it sounds like you're in the clear.

The only mention on the About page of the word "profit" at all seems to be discussing printing the entirety of the comic, like in a newspaper's Funny Pages.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

airdrik

Re: Do I need permission

Postby airdrik » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:10 pm UTC

Again, not official advice; just the way I'd interpret it:
Are you intending to make money off of one or more of his comics or off of some work derived from one or more of his comics? (e.g. selling printed copies (as-is or in some publication), selling t-shirts with a collage of some of your favorites, making a mashup of some of the images and selling licenses to that on your website, etc) If so you should get permission (plan to share the profits). If not, you are probably fine to just go ahead and use it with proper attribution.

In other words it's not whether your organization is for-profit/commercial or not, but whether your use of the comic is.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”