1980: "Turkish Delight"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jorpho

1980: "Turkish Delight"

Postby Jorpho » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:14 pm UTC

Title text: I take it Narnia doesn't have Cinnabons? Because if you can magic up a plate of those, I'll betray whoever.

For your listening pleasure: the Turkish Delight number from Narnia: The Musical. (Be warned, you may have this stuck in your head for the rest of the day.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7pDpH_HApo

YellowYeti

Re: 1980: "Turkish Delight"

Postby YellowYeti » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:20 pm UTC

Given that the children discovered Narnia during the war, and sweet rationing was in place

https://www.cocoaandheart.co.uk/blog/read_167823/list-of-wartime-sweets.html

betraying your family for Turkish Delight is maybe understandable.

If chocolate had been involved, the witch might have won the day!

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:42 pm UTC

I'm gonna be That Guy weren't they like, addictive magical turkish delights?

Nazdar

Postby Nazdar » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:03 pm UTC

Whomever.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:04 pm UTC

Because I can,

Follow in your book and repeat after me, as we learn three new words in Turkish.
Bath
Towel
Border

May I see your passport please?

All of which are arguably less tasty than Turkish Delight.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

chenille

Postby chenille » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:14 pm UTC

On the other hand, if Turkish delight is the best thing anyone has ever shared with you, maybe your older siblings deserve betrayal.

joel_anderson

Postby joel_anderson » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:15 pm UTC

Reminds my of this article which includes some pretty fun memories of what people thought turkish delight might be.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/c ... sh-delight

faustuspringle

Postby faustuspringle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:27 pm UTC

When I finally tried Turksh delight, it really reminded me of urinal-cakes, those white, rose-scented cubes that keep public urinals from smelling too wretched.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:11 pm UTC

For some reason, waaaaay back when I first had the book read to me, I imagined it as unwrapped Fleer Dubble Bubble lumps.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:19 pm UTC

Never having had Turkish delight or even bothered looking up what it is, I've imagined it as something like baklava, which I also think is really overrated.

Looking it up now, I guess it maybe is kinda similar? A gel of starch and sugar sounds similar-ish to thin layers of dough held together by honey, and both are full of nuts and shit.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:21 pm UTC

It's better if you make it with any other flavoring in the world beside rosewater.
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:26 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Never having had Turkish delight or even bothered looking up what it is, I've imagined it as something like baklava, which I also think is really overrated.

Either you've only ever had baklava from the grocery store, or you are a madman.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Ranbot

Postby Ranbot » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:33 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Never having had Turkish delight or even bothered looking up what it is, I've imagined it as something like baklava, which I also think is really overrated.

Looking it up now, I guess it maybe is kinda similar? A gel of starch and sugar sounds similar-ish to thin layers of dough held together by honey, and both are full of nuts and shit.

Ummm.... no, not similar. You should probably try baklava again from a reputable baker or greek restaurant. The stuff your aunt brought to a 4th of July picnic that she called baklava doesn't count. But maybe you are in the 1% of people who really don't like the taste of honey- and butter-soaked nuts (typically walnuts, chopped), excluding those allergic to nuts. :wink:

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:45 pm UTC

faustuspringle wrote:When I finally tried Turksh delight, it really reminded me of urinal-cakes, those white, rose-scented cubes that keep public urinals from smelling too wretched.

Yes, well. You're not supposed to eat those.

The only Turkish Delight I had growing up was Fry's. And yes, I was disappointed. But as an adult I've tried the real stuff. Quite tasty. Especially the bergamot. But then, I do like a cuppa Earl Grey.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:48 pm UTC

Randall is crazy. I love Turkish delight.
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:53 pm UTC

I thought urinal-cakes came in citrus? (Towards the lemon end of the citrus spectrum.) Not really sure what rose scent is like, given modern roses tend to not smell and traditional ones are variously scented, but you'd use a colour other than yellow. Or is that what the blue ones smell of, beneath the general overwhelming background odour of 'chemical'?

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:26 pm UTC

YES!! Exactly this. I use to wonder what Turkish delight was, and think about how wonderful it must be. Then I tried some, and I was like, meh. So disappointing.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:29 pm UTC

I have yet to meet an American that enjoys Turkish delight.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

We'll win, but not everyone will get out

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:57 pm UTC

The only baklava I've ever had was from Greek restaurants and bakeries (I didn't know it came otherwise), and yes, I was still disappointed. I think it's the nuts turning me off, because buttery dough and honey sounds like it should be delicious.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

lemonade

Postby lemonade » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:13 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I have yet to meet an American that enjoys Turkish delight.

I am an American who enjoys Turkish delight! I even almost ruined some of my mom's cookware trying to make it myself in high school. I am generally a fan of rose and pistachio flavors, so that helps a lot. (One of my more successful culinary experiments was rose-flavored ice cream with chips of frozen cream.)

That being said, Turkish delight was still a bit of a let-down compared to what I had imagined reading The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I thought it would be something rich and custardy - maybe like little cubes of creme brulee, caramelized on all sides or coated in a thin graham cracker crust.

Sunidesus

Postby Sunidesus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:34 pm UTC

The Narnia books are a Big Deal in my family.

At some point our parents brought home a box of Turkish delight from one of their trips (they work w/missionaries and used to travel internationally a LOT). We were all very disappointed. It wasn't bad, but I also didn't have any great desire to have more than one piece. The box it came in is still kicking around though 20 some years later. Most Christmases it gets used as wrapping for something or another.

Yes, a combination of the sugar rationing thing & it being magical makes the plot work. But we've still had the "Really? Turkish delight?" conversation quite a few times.

whomever1

Postby whomever1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 pm UTC

Don't forget the song about the stuff (Rahadlakum) from the musical and movie Kismet. I remember it as the stupidest song I've ever heard!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Rahadla ... 8&oe=utf-8

gormster

Postby gormster » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:14 pm UTC

Things I am learning about Americans today:

• Turkish Delight is apparently not a very common sweet, so uncommon that they were unlikely to have tasted it before adulthood
  • They have extremely poor taste in sweets

Turkish Delight is marvellous. Not the lemon one which, like most lemon-flavoured sweets, is rubbish. The proper, fuchsia coloured, rose scented one coated in icing sugar. Beautiful.

Seriously, I like cinnamon buns as much as the next man (actually, I think I like them a lot more than the next man; I regularly make them from scratch), but it's just cinnamon and dough. Rose water is something else.
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:25 pm UTC

gormster wrote:[...]Not the lemon one which, like most lemon-flavoured sweets, is rubbish. [...]

I will fight you. Lemon flavored sweets and desserts are amazing. Lemon Cheesecake, Lemon Tart, Lemon buns (like cinnamon rolls but with lemon zest instead of cinnamon), Lemon poppyseed muffins, Lemon scones...

It doesn't help that I'm in California, where lemons and lemon trees are everywhere, most residences have at least one citrus tree.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:47 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:The only baklava I've ever had was from Greek restaurants and bakeries (I didn't know it came otherwise), and yes, I was still disappointed. I think it's the nuts turning me off, because buttery dough and honey sounds like it should be delicious.

It must be because of the nuts, then. Because baklava is all about the nuts.
The puff pastry just holds it together. Long enough until you try to eat it, anyway. :)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:59 pm UTC

I like lemony things. (I even like to ask for "something lemony, please" after a blood donation, that I know will get me a lemon cordial, over and above tea, coffee, orange (cordial) or plain water.) Never had lemon-flavoured TD (not sure what I've had, in that range, it was likely pink/purple but that might have been just my impression from this product that I don't think I ever ate, but remember the adverts (look for the Arabian1-themed advert on Youtube with the sand and the implied execution that turns out just to be unnecessarily slicing a mouthful of chocolate bar into two smaller mouthsful, just to reveal the "Eastern Promise" it was full of) and I highly suspect that the chocolate-covered confectionary (whatever you think about British milk-'chocolate', with the cocoa sokids content lower than the otherwise requisite 25%, it's scrummier and yummier than that Hershey stuff, even before you consider the GI rations that must have been pretty bad under the circumstances) is what Edmund had in mind, rather than mere gelatinous sugared lumps - even though all depictions (from what I remember of the book illustrations, TV adaptation, recent film depiction) seem to suggest only icing-sugar sprinklings as a coating.

I've trying to think what I would sell my (mostly non-existent) fellow siblings out for, in this day and age. I remember being very partial to dried pineapple chunks (which counted very much as 'sweets'/candy rather than sweet/dessert), at my time of life when I would have been within the Narnia kids' age-range. But I also (and to this day) have been very partial to a family flapjack recipe, a 'dry' version rather than the (also often nice, but not family-style) usual treacly-chewy tyoe, usually with chocolate chips in and sometimes with cherries, ginger and/or similar. I try not to bake it myself too often, as I need its rarity to discourage me from chowing down on most of it almost as soon as it can be sliced and removed from the baking-tray.

1 "Arabian, desert nomads/Turkish, isthmusified bridge between Europe and Asia… They're the same thing, right?" - anonymous advertising executive

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:00 am UTC

I missed an opportunity to try baklava hours before this thread was started. If only the comic was up earlier, I would have been told I should try it!
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:04 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:I missed an opportunity to try baklava hours before this thread was started. If only the comic was up earlier, I would have been told I should try it!

"GITMHR! And more quickly next time, please!"?

:P

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:24 am UTC

Some feel the best Turkish Delight is the Mauser brand.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:55 am UTC

Wow, Randall is really down on this childhood thing.

childrens_fantasy.png
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

fibonacci

Postby fibonacci » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:54 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:I like lemony things. (I even like to ask for "something lemony, please" after a blood donation, that I know will get me a lemon cordial, over and above tea, coffee, orange (cordial) or plain water.)

They give you liqueurs when you donate blood there? Sign me up!

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:57 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:full of nuts and shit

I don't want that recipe.

Spoiler:
I had rose-flavored, rose-shaped cookies at my sister's wedding to my Persian (from Tehran) brother-in-law. I think they were made with chickpea flour. They looked and tasted like guest soaps, only grittier. Blecch. The rest of the Persian food was absolutely fantastic, but not those.

Maybe sweets are like sports, and we tend to enjoy only the ones we liked as children. For years, my Indian (from Mumbai) brother-in-law has been trying to get my hockey-obsessed Chinese (from Wisconsin) husband to play cricket, but neither has any interest in learning the other's sport.

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:28 am UTC

I've never had Turkish delights but the things in the movie look like really soft marmalade candy, something like this.

leeharveyosmond

Postby leeharveyosmond » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:58 am UTC

I too encountered Fry’s Turkish Delight before I encountered the works of C S Lewis. Clearly the kid wa incapable of thinking in a straight line; he shoulda held out for the thirty pieces of silver.

And hey, /1786/ was funnier.
I myself think C S Lewis’s best work was his epigram upon J R R Tolkien’s announcement to the Inklings of a new work, The Lord Of The Rings.

Moreover I miss Sir Pterry, especially the fury of his early work. Anybody fancy writing “200 Years Under The Mountain: Memoirs of Pregabalin, Dwarf”?

AndrewGPaul

Postby AndrewGPaul » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:18 pm UTC

NotAllThere wrote:The only Turkish Delight I had growing up was Fry's.

Ah yes; the other reference for what this stuff should be for anyone who grew up in the UK in the 80s. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAY_o36paQ0

fluffysheap

Postby fluffysheap » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:32 pm UTC

Count me as one of the "baklava but covered in honey" group.

Being American I've never had the real thing, but we do have a candy called "spicettes" which is a sort of sugary gum-gelatin blob flavored with not particularly candy-ish flavors like clove and spearmint. Also comes in licorice in case you need a stronger deterrent. Seems pretty similar?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:03 am UTC

leeharveyosmond wrote:Moreover I miss Sir Pterry

GNU Terry Pratchett.

More generally, I've never been a huge fan of Turkish Delight (though the chocolate coated stuff is okay). Sherbet Lemons are good, though you have to be a little careful otherwise the natural sharpening effect of sucking them leads to superficial cuts in your tongue... I quite like Baklava, but it does get awkward to eat. Refreshers (the hard biconcave fruit-flavoured disks, not the chewy stuff with the fizzy center) were a favourite a couple of recipe changes ago, but they're now just quite good.

Durandal_1707

Postby Durandal_1707 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:20 am UTC

Wat

freezeblade wrote:I will fight you. Lemon flavored sweets and desserts are amazing. Lemon Cheesecake, Lemon Tart, Lemon buns (like cinnamon rolls but with lemon zest instead of cinnamon), Lemon poppyseed muffins, Lemon scones...

My favorite: the lemon bars recipe from Martha Stewart's cookbook, punched up with extra lemon juice and zest, then topped with candied Meyer lemon slices. Back when the Martha Stewart insider trading scandal was still in the public memory, I used to call these "lemon prison bars."

You know how lemon bars sometimes are disappointing and not lemoney enough and just taste like a bland piece of cake? Well, not when I make 'em.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:02 am UTC

The way they were depicted in the BBC miniseries didn't help much to clarify their nature; their prop candies were covered in so much sugar that you couldn't make heads or tails of what was underneath it. The movie was a little clearer, I believe, with the red showing through, but even then it just looked like one of those big gummy fruit candies we used to get for Halloween (which were usually orange, I believe, and shaped like orange slices) but covered in powdered sugar. Which still sounds like something I'd gladly eat on a day I'm not in a chocolate mood.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:27 am UTC

Huh. I always loved turkish delight.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”