1997: "Business Update"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jpers36
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:47 pm UTC
Location: The 3-manifold described by Red and Blue

1997: "Business Update"

Postby jpers36 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:52 pm UTC

Image

Title Text: "Our customers keep sending us their personal information, even though we've repeatedly asked them to stop. The EU told me I'm the heir to some ancient European throne that makes me exempt from the GDPR, but we should probably still try to fix that."

Uhhh ... Is this thing on? Wasn't expecting to start a new thread a 1:52 in the afternoon Eastern.

User avatar
Old Bruce
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:27 pm UTC

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby Old Bruce » Wed May 23, 2018 5:57 pm UTC

jpers36 wrote: ...Wasn't expecting to start a new thread a 1:52 in the afternoon Eastern.

Well you did and now you have to live with it.[mock-serious-face emoticon]
Me, I forgot 'twas Wednesday.

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 1872
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby cellocgw » Wed May 23, 2018 5:58 pm UTC

This is the most confusing thing I've seen since the IRS instructions for the AMT.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
rhomboidal
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby rhomboidal » Wed May 23, 2018 6:12 pm UTC

But Samara's solution for everything is to kill it. "If all you have is a hammer," you know...

Yu_p
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:00 am UTC

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby Yu_p » Wed May 23, 2018 7:05 pm UTC

I'll be honest: I have no odea what just happened.

I get some of the references, but overall the comic looks entirely random to me. Or is that the point about business updates?

User avatar
Keyman
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:56 pm UTC

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby Keyman » Wed May 23, 2018 7:20 pm UTC

Yu_p wrote:I'll be honest: I have no odea what just happened.

I get some of the references, but overall the comic looks entirely random to me. Or is that the point about business updates?

I was in this meeting. Twice this week. And it's only Wednesday. Except for The Ring girl.
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

Mikeski
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:24 am UTC
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby Mikeski » Wed May 23, 2018 7:28 pm UTC

Yu_p wrote:I'll be honest: I have no odea what just happened.

I get some of the references, but overall the comic looks entirely random to me. Or is that the point about business updates?


That's the point of any comic with the guy in the white beret. He exudes surrealism.

This is less surreal than most of his; I'm pretty sure 7% of actual businesses are weirder than this.

cct
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:55 pm UTC

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby cct » Wed May 23, 2018 8:03 pm UTC

When he says,
Customers are experiencing rapid growth,
he isn't joking. I've already gained 30 kg, and at my rate of growth, I should be 2 metres tall by some time next week. Is there a way to stop this?

qvxb
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:20 pm UTC

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby qvxb » Wed May 23, 2018 8:25 pm UTC

The number of our investors is equal to the number of Trump voters.

User avatar
Heimhenge
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 11:35 pm UTC

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby Heimhenge » Wed May 23, 2018 8:37 pm UTC

It would have been funnier (or grosser) if the toilet had been producing original content.

User avatar
da Doctah
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby da Doctah » Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 pm UTC

qvxb wrote:The number of our investors is equal to the number of Trump voters.

Would that be an imaginary number?

Showsni
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby Showsni » Wed May 23, 2018 11:58 pm UTC

Exempt from GDPR? I wish. I've been sticking labels on envelopes all week so our small charity can tell everyone who has donated to us in the past seven years what we're doing with their data... (Not a lot.)

User avatar
pogrmman
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:53 pm UTC
Location: Probably outside

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby pogrmman » Thu May 24, 2018 12:17 am UTC

I’m happy that my birthyear comic is one of beret guy’s business strips. They always crack me up. I was particularly pleased by the biggest expense bit.

synp
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:43 am UTC

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby synp » Thu May 24, 2018 9:14 am UTC

Showsni wrote:Exempt from GDPR? I wish. I've been sticking labels on envelopes all week so our small charity can tell everyone who has donated to us in the past seven years what we're doing with their data... (Not a lot.)

Sounds as irritating as those incessant pop-up messages on websites telling you that the website uses cookies.

I know.

All websites use cookies.

Can we make a checkbox in the browser configuration saying "Yes, I know all websites use cookies"?

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby Sableagle » Thu May 24, 2018 10:06 am UTC

pogrmman wrote:I’m happy that my birthyear comic is one of beret guy’s business strips. They always crack me up. I was particularly pleased by the biggest expense bit.

I want to work there. Can I get a job there?

My birthyear was me trying to ask a pretty girl out on a date, so you've got me beaten on coolness.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 1872
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby cellocgw » Thu May 24, 2018 12:50 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:
pogrmman wrote:I’m happy that my birthyear comic is one of beret guy’s business strips. They always crack me up. I was particularly pleased by the biggest expense bit.

I want to work there. Can I get a job there?

My birthyear was me trying to ask a pretty girl out on a date, so you've got me beaten on coolness.


All my birth year comic does is scare me about people AND robots.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

rmsgrey
Posts: 3344
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby rmsgrey » Thu May 24, 2018 1:26 pm UTC

All my birthyear comic does is reveal (mildly) personally identifying information to the internet if I share which it is...

Oh, and make a reference to something.

The Facebook "here's a list of options, use personal information to index the table and post the results" things always struck me as a BHG idea waiting to happen.

User avatar
CelticNot
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:18 pm UTC
Location: A Little North of the Great Albertan Desert

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby CelticNot » Thu May 24, 2018 3:20 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:All my birthyear comic does is reveal (mildly) personally identifying information to the internet if I share which it is...


Coincidentally, so does mine.
This sig for rent. Rates negotiable.

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 3205
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby Soupspoon » Thu May 24, 2018 4:16 pm UTC

I think that applies to almost anybody with a birthday this year.

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6185
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby Jorpho » Fri May 25, 2018 5:01 pm UTC

jpers36 wrote:Uhhh ... Is this thing on? Wasn't expecting to start a new thread a 1:52 in the afternoon Eastern.
Perhaps the delay in postings as of late are indicative of something big being planned for the big 2K.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2872
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby orthogon » Fri May 25, 2018 5:15 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
jpers36 wrote:Uhhh ... Is this thing on? Wasn't expecting to start a new thread a 1:52 in the afternoon Eastern.
Perhaps the delay in postings as of late are indicative of something big being planned for the big 2K.

It must be big then: there's about 17 weeks to go...
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3344
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1997: Business Update

Postby rmsgrey » Fri May 25, 2018 7:28 pm UTC

Maybe the big plan is for comic 2018 - the only time the comic number will match the Gregorian year under the existing update schedule (or any plausible replacement provided the current schedule runs to the end of this year) and numbering system.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sustainabilizer and 78 guests