2011: "Newton's Trajectories"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

nightbird

2011: "Newton's Trajectories"

Postby nightbird » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:40 pm UTC

Title text: With just one extra line, he could have anticipated the 2003 film The Core, but some things are too audacious for even the greatest visionaries.

I can't believe I'm the first to post it. What's happening to these fora?
Last edited by gmalivuk on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added the link
“Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.”

nightbird

Re: 2011: "Newton's Trajectories"

Postby nightbird » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:43 pm UTC

Anyway - it's been a while since an xkcd comic shook me as much, mainly because it tackles a thought I tend to have on a weekly basis. If there's one thing the remaining 21st century won't be, it's "boring". Anything else is in the cards.
“Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.”

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:47 pm UTC

nightbird wrote:I can't believe I'm the first to post it. What's happening to these fora?

You were the first to post it, but you posted wrong.

(Also, it probably hadn't been posted already because the comic hadn't gone up yet.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
nightbird wrote:I can't believe I'm the first to post it. What's happening to these fora?

(Also, it probably hadn't been posted already because the comic hadn't gone up yet.)

Explainxkcd had the page up at ~0400 (either UTC or UTC+1) more than 12 hours before this thread.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:25 pm UTC

It may not be either/or but both, as in the Star Trek episode "Mirror, Mirror".

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:30 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:

Explainxkcd had the page up at ~0400 (either UTC or UTC+1) more than 12 hours before this thread.

Then I guess the comic itself went up considerably earlier than they have been recently. (I no longer bother checking before that afternoon, since new ones are rarely up sooner.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:43 pm UTC

The diagram is wrong, anyway. With an angled-up canon firing out, a freefall canonball will never enter a stable circular orbit like that. Even the others seem to inherit a side-wind or something.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:07 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:The diagram is wrong, anyway. With an angled-up canon firing out, a freefall canonball will never enter a stable circular orbit like that. Even the others seem to inherit a side-wind or something.

Perhaps the gun is on the equator and we are observing from above one of the poles? [genuine-puzzlement-face emoticon]

speising

Postby speising » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 pm UTC

Old Bruce wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:The diagram is wrong, anyway. With an angled-up canon firing out, a freefall canonball will never enter a stable circular orbit like that. Even the others seem to inherit a side-wind or something.

Perhaps the gun is on the equator and we are observing from above one of the poles? [genuine-puzzlement-face emoticon]

that doesn't help. every orbit with only one boost will always intersect the startig point. you need a second burn to circularize the elliptic orbit.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:22 pm UTC

Old Bruce wrote:

I think it's only obliquely referencing Newton's cannonball, which was just a cannon firing straight ahead from a raised platform (which can hopefully be retracted 'lest it shoot itself in the event of a vacuum).
This diagram seems to feature a series of rockets lifting off from a proper launch pad, performing varying gravity turns. The first one just crashes, which does result in a fiery, toxic, carcinogenic mess weapons of sorts. The middle one seems to be an ICBM -- ending civilization in fire. The last is of course a simple but pretty sharp gravity turn into orbit.
speising wrote:that doesn't help. every orbit with only one boost will always intersect the startig point. you need a second burn to circularize the elliptic orbit.

If you look at Newton's old diagram, that cannon is pretty blatantly shooting itself. I think he either assumed a vacuum, or a very high platform.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:38 am UTC

Well here's the original from Principia:

It's a horizontal cannon on a (to scale 1000 mile altitude and well above the atmosphere) mountaintop, so yeah, with the right projectile speed it's shooting itself. And yes, Newton must have been "assuming away friction" for this diagram to make any sense (at least for the longer trajectories).

What I'm wondering is why Randall didn't come up with a label for the shortest trajectory (D) ... maybe Evel Knievel's Snake River Canyon jump?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:14 am UTC

Heimhenge wrote:What I'm wondering is why Randall didn't come up with a label for the shortest trajectory (D) ... maybe Evel Knievel's Snake River Canyon jump?

Or include the still-shorter trajectory in which the projectile is fired straight up and the cannoneer has to run to get out of the way before it comes down (and maybe even the Buster-Keatonesque outcome where Coriolis force makes dodging your own vertical fire unnecessary).

[Edit: really, spellcheck? You don't know the word "cannoneer"?]
Last edited by da Doctah on Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:29 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:in which the projectile is fired straight up and the cannoneer has to run to get out of the way before it comes down (and maybe even the Buster-Keatonesque outcome where Coriolis force makes dodging your own vertical fire unnecessary).

And thus your attempts to dodge land you directly in the line of fire after all?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:25 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
da Doctah wrote:in which the projectile is fired straight up and the cannoneer has to run to get out of the way before it comes down (and maybe even the Buster-Keatonesque outcome where Coriolis force makes dodging your own vertical fire unnecessary).

And thus your attempts to dodge land you directly in the line of fire after all?

Story of my life, man. Story of my life.

--Wile E. Coyote

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”