2022: "Sports Champions"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sonar1313

Re: 2022: "Sports Champions"

Postby sonar1313 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:17 pm UTC

suso wrote:It's not just in sports. I've worked with people in IT whose last names were Megahed, Hacker and Ping. Of course, those names may have existed before computers, but nonetheless they are cool names to have while working in computers.

I know a guy named Hammer. He's a judge. Judge Hammer. He's a very nice guy but I still figure that's not the name a perp would be happy to see on the bench in front of him.

scalziand

Postby scalziand » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:33 pm UTC

BrianK wrote:Will Power from IndyCar seems like a good candidate.

And Scott Speed.

Caffeine wrote:Cyclist Ryder Hesjedal? He's won a few stages of grand tours and the GC in the Giro d'Italia.

Pierre Latour is the current leader of the young riders competition in le Tour de France, and a two time time-trial champion.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:30 pm UTC

scalziand wrote:Pierre Latour is the current leader of the young riders competition in le Tour de France, and a two time time-trial champion.
Talking of time-triallists (of which often not enough is said), Chris Boardman did some very good stuff on the (wooden boarded) track with Olympic wins and solo World Records.

Other cyclists 'sort of' nominatively determined: Stanley Miles, Ben Swift, Jack Pullar, Mark Bell. While the Commonwealth Gold (amongst other things) won by Annie Last rather shows the reverse.

(Cyclists-who-maybe-shouldn't-have-been include: Emma Trott; brothers Mark and Luke Rowe; Chris Walker and his daughter Jessie.)

gladiolas

Postby gladiolas » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:52 am UTC

Al Kaline should have been a chemist. That's basically it. If people told him that, did he reply with an acid remark?

Jim Ryun was an Olympic athlete who broke the four minute mile. I remember in grade school I saw an article about him. The headline on the article was Run, Ryun, Run, so I logically assumed his name was pronounced "Run." But I checked some youtube videos and his name is pronounced Ryan.

He then became a Congressman, so I guess he decided to "Ryun" for office... :oops: :P :roll: :D

I hope this isn't too far off-topic, but some surnames are fairly recent. There's a Biblical scholar named Peter Machinist. His family was from S. Europe, and his grandfather was in a little village, a tailor, and he had a sewing machine. He was the first person in the village to have a sewing machine, so he was known as Moses the Machinist. So that became the family name.

Did Babe Ruth play baseball "Ruthlessly"?

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:01 am UTC

gladiolas wrote:Did Babe Ruth play baseball "Ruthlessly"?

Or start as a toddler?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”