2040: Sibling-in-law

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

orthogon

Re: 2040: Sibling-in-law

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:09 am UTC

GlassHouses wrote:
jgh wrote:To do this properly you need Cantonese.
Spoiler:

I guess if you live in a culture with strong extended families, where people tend to have specific responsibilities to one another depending on the exact nature of their relationship, it will come much more naturally to think in those terms.

As a modern westerner, from a very spread-out family with basically no ties beyond grandparents, aunts, uncles, and first cousins, and with no real responsibilities beyond the nuclear family, that Chinese-style jargon would be completely useless.

Whatever the word is, the guy is definitely a cross cousin.

(I only discovered the concept of parallel- and cross-cousins recently, and I'm still trying to get my head around it).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:41 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Whatever the word is, the guy is definitely a cross cousin.

Is that anything like a trans parent?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:18 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:

Is that anything like a trans parent?

More like a trans sister, I think.

ETA: Also, your post suddenly reminded me that Gay Dad were a thing.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Vroomfundel

Postby Vroomfundel » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:55 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:How about we come up with a numbering system in the style of Erdos or Bacon numbers which identifies people based on how many indirections it takes to get to them?
For example: my parents, wife and children would have 1s being the most directly related to me. I think I'd also use 1 for siblings, though I could also see just using 2 for them to indicate that to get to them from me you have to go through my parents. Grandparents (and aunts and uncles), grandchildren, wife's parents (and siblings), and children's spouses would get 2s, etc.

You clearly need complex numbers for that: Your (1 + 2i)th brother-in-law is related to you through one direct relationship and two marriages, e.g. the husband of the sister of your wife.

Hiferator said that in Southern India that would be called a co-brother-in-law and now I feel an unexpected kinship with that region as in my mother tongue (Bulgarian) we also have a separate word for that relative, a word for which I had hitherto been unable to find a translation into any other language. It warrants a separate term as this relationship has a certain uniqueness to it - you feel a special bond with another chap with whom you share a mother-in-law; you connect over the awkwarness and tiptoeing in your in-laws house on family gatherings and the temptation to have a few more drinks while not under observation and critical appraisal for tainting the daughters for whom you've both been subtly, perhaps unintentionally made aware you're deemed not good enough.

airdrik wrote:There could be two variations for includes vs. excludes (close) friends (or colleagues), so that my daughter's friend's mother's sister-in-law's hair dresser's ex-fiance's hunting buddy's son's best friend would be a 10.

For this maybe we'll need quarternions though.
lexicum.net - my vocabulary learning platform

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:28 am UTC

Wikipedia says
The Serbo-Croatian standard languages (Croatian, Serbian, Montenegrin and Bosnian) have one of the more elaborate kinship(srodstvo) systems among European languages.
[...]
There are four main types of kinship in the family: biological aka blood kinship, kinship by law (in-laws), spiritual kinship (such as godparents), and legal kinship through adoption and remarriage.
[...]
Words for relations up to five generations removed—great-great-grandparents and great-great-grandchildren—are in common use. The fourth-generation terms are also used as generics for ancestors and descendants. There is no distinction between the maternal and paternal line. In addition there are terms found in Serbian for ancestors past the 5th generation, but those are not in common use.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:34 pm UTC

http://www.metrolyrics.com/im-my-own-grandpa-lyrics-ray-stevens.html

Many, many years ago when I was 23
I was married to a widow who was pretty as can be
This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red
My father fell in love with her and soon they too were wed
This made my dad my son-in-law and really changed my life
For now my daughter was my mother 'cause she was my father's wife
And to complicate the matter even though it brought me joy
I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy
My little baby then became a brother-in-law to dad
And so he became my uncle though it mad me very sad
For if he were my uncle that would also made him brother
Of the widows grown-up daughter who was of course my stepmother
Father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run
And he became my grandchild for he was my daughter's son
My wife is now my mother's mother and it makes me blue
Because although she is my wife she's my grandmother too
Now if my wife is my grandmother then I'm her grandchild
And every time I think of it, nearly drives me wild
'Cause now I have become the strangest case you ever saw
As husband of my grandmother I am my own grandpaw
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:03 am UTC

Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones may have actually done this. Does anyone know for sure?

Bill was married in 1959, and had a son in 1962. Separated in 1967, divorced in 1969. Remarried in 1989, separated in 1991, divorced in 1993. (And married his 3rd wife in 1993, also.) His son from his 1st wife married his 2nd wife's mother, also sometime in 1993.

So, if his son's marriage happened before his 2nd divorce (both 1993), for a short while, his son was his father-in-law, and he was his own grandpa.

Internet stories seem mixed on what order this really happened in... most of the "he's his own grandpa" stories from reputable sources (NYT, IMDB) were about the son's engagement, not his marriage.

Apollon Musagete

Postby Apollon Musagete » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:33 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:

Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones may have actually done this. Does anyone know for sure?

Bill was married in 1959, and had a son in 1962. Separated in 1967, divorced in 1969. Remarried in 1989, separated in 1991, divorced in 1993. (And married his 3rd wife in 1993, also.) His son from his 1st wife married his 2nd wife's mother, also sometime in 1993.

So, if his son's marriage happened before his 2nd divorce (both 1993), for a short while, his son was his father-in-law, and he was his own grandpa.

Internet stories seem mixed on what order this really happened in... most of the "he's his own grandpa" stories from reputable sources (NYT, IMDB) were about the son's engagement, not his marriage.

THAT is kinda weird... As long as i know for me all the extended family is "cousins"... :P

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:36 am UTC

I had a cross cousin once. I'd taken the last piece of Grandma's homebaked pecan pie after Thanksgiving dinner and she'd wanted it.

Hiferator

Postby Hiferator » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:00 am UTC

Vroomfundel wrote:Hiferator said that in Southern India that would be called a co-brother-in-law and now I feel an unexpected kinship with that region as in my mother tongue (Bulgarian) we also have a separate word for that relative, a word for which I had hitherto been unable to find a translation into any other language.

PM 2Ring wrote:
The Serbo-Croatian standard languages (Croatian, Serbian, Montenegrin and Bosnian) have one of the more elaborate kinship(srodstvo) systems among European languages.
[...]

You want to go down a real rabbit hole, try the Chinese kinship system.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:53 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
OP Tipping wrote:I mean not everything has to have a separate word. You can just say wife's brother's wife, or brother in law's wife.

If that seems long, just form portmanteaus from the first syllables. Wibrowi. Wibrowifasihu.

Wibrowi and Fasihu: aren't they Chelsea's front two this season?

Also, is there a term for a word like that made up of the first syllable or the first few letters of each word (e.g. BoJo for Boris Johnson) ? It's not quite an acronym, and it's quite a recent development.

I call them "Japanese acronyms", since that's what they do instead of initials. (Well, I guess it is initials, since it'd be formed from the first katakana of each word. And of course since the name of each katakana is the same as its sound, there's no distinction between initials and acronyms.)
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

CigarDoug

Postby CigarDoug » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:40 pm UTC

If we are only talking about siblings, the chain does not go THAT far.

I have two brothers. My wife has two sisters.Two siblings in law.
My brother married once, his wife is an only child. The other never married. One sibling in law.
My wife's sisters are married once, two siblings in law.
The older sister, her husband's sister never married.
The younger sister, her husband's sister married once. One sibling in law.
That sister's husband's sister's husband, an only child.

So that's six siblings in law. Unless you have multiple brothers and sisters marrying into multiple brothers and sisters, the chain ends quickly.
"If we all do one small thing to help; in our organizations, our churches, our community, how much can we accomplish together?"

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:08 pm UTC

I've got two siblings married to two siblings, and a further sibling married to one of the other family's cousins. I'm sure this makes the "sibling in law" thing complicated, especially as there are a fair pile of siblings in all concerned families.

Maybe "redneck" or "country" is appropriate, I dunno.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”