2045: "Social Media Announcement"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

theoriok

2045: "Social Media Announcement"

Postby theoriok » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:12 am UTC

Title text: "Why I'm Moving Most of My Social Activity to Slack, Then Creating a Second Slack to Avoid the People in the First One, Then Giving Up on Social Interaction Completely, Then Going Back to Texting"

I thought Mastodon was a Metalcore band? :?
Last edited by theoriok on Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HowRiddikulus

Re: 2045: "Social Media Announcement"

Postby HowRiddikulus » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:37 am UTC

The social network is "Mastodon", not "Mastadon". (I browse it very frequently, and I'm really happy it got name-checked!)

Is there a form or something for reporting typos? Does Randall look at these threads?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:48 am UTC

I'd post an essay on my website about why I don't use social media in the first place, but nobody would see it so what's the point.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:26 am UTC

He's probably going to compose the entire manifesto with emojis.

Vroomfundel

Postby Vroomfundel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:22 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I'd post an essay on my website about why I don't use social media in the first place, but nobody would see it so what's the point.

Aren't the fora social media though? I believe it would fit most definitions - basically all of them except the ones that specifically exclude platforms that have been around since before the term "social media" started trending... and since before "trending" acquired its present meaning.

Now let's see if someone would bitch about my use of "trending".

Now let's see if someone would bitch about my placing the full stop after the closing quotation mark. Probably not as geeks tend to favour the "incorrect" usage which makes much more sense; it's just wrong to put the punctuation inside the quoted phrase when it's a grammatical marker for the surrounding sentence. If I have one opportunity to travel in time I'd really hesitate between killing Hitler, fixing this or sorting out the +/- madness in electricity.

</rant related to another thread>
lexicum.net - my vocabulary learning platform

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:09 am UTC

Why I abandoned social media in favour of a bot that notifies me whenever a new cat picture is added to the internet.
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:15 am UTC

I've just about decided to go completely back to basics. My future social media presence will consist of peeing on trees and lampposts.

MogTM

Postby MogTM » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:40 am UTC

I'm definitely one of the people this comic is poking fun at—I even have my own "manifesto"-ish blog post: https://www.codesections.com/blog/mastodon-elevator-pitch/. But at least it was well written enough to make the front page of HackerNews :)

By the way, if you're the sort of person who reads the xkcd forum, there's a really good chance that you'd like the Mastodon instance I'm on: fosstodon.org. It focuses on free and open source software, and has built upa great, nerdy community that reminds me of this one (at least back when I used to hang out here;it's been a while).

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:13 pm UTC

…posting this to alt.wesley.crusher.die.die.die?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:46 pm UTC

I have a Facebook account. Every few days, I reply to/comment on someone else's post. I have never posted an image of my meal. I can't help but feel either I'm doing social media wrongly, or social media is failing to do me correctly...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:47 pm UTC

HowRiddikulus wrote:The social network is "Mastodon", not "Mastadon". (I browse it very frequently, and I'm really happy it got name-checked!)

Is there a form or something for reporting typos? Does Randall look at these threads?

Randall frequently uses close names as references. Perhaps Randy's just in to dubstep these days.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

IKnowNothing

Postby IKnowNothing » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:58 pm UTC

HowRiddikulus wrote:The social network is "Mastodon", not "Mastadon". (I browse it very frequently, and I'm really happy it got name-checked!)

I was simply going to post one word: Mastodon. It seems HowRiddikulus beat me to it. So let me add, being a tech geek, I must fight the urge to spell it mastadon because that's how we pronounce it. Root cause analysis: Poor diction leads to poor spelling.

I also presume the cartoon is referring to the social media service and not the performer. But it does get kind of funny if you think about merging the performer (or their works) with a social networking service. If you're too techie, it quickly becomes unfunny - thinking about your data connections and resource flows and such, marketing strategy, content, conversion to Azure, album covers, ....aaargh. (must keep focused on the abstract concept of merging a performer with a social networking service).

jgh

Postby jgh » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:53 pm UTC

It's like with Lex Luthooooooorrrrrr. Surely any normal person would pronounce that Lex Luther. It makes him sound like a Sontarian.

Locoluis

Postby Locoluis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:55 pm UTC

We can't all get along, no surprise there. There's always a certain tolerance threshold where we draw the line. There's always something we don't want to be part of.

But then, sometimes the controllers of a popular community or social network go too far on their support for a cause, and they decide to shove their activism down the throats of the whole community. Suddenly, it's no longer okay to be a member of the community while disagreeing with the personal views of those in charge. Suddenly, you see their banners everywhere, including your own profile page. And you end up alienated by those who are or were alienated by others. History repeats again. I'd rather not get into details.

My point is, there's a need for specialized social networks, and you need to choose wisely where you want to be, because they're not for everyone. Make those places your digital home while it lasts, and feel free to leave when the time comes.
Last edited by Locoluis on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sueños del Sur - A webcomic about four siblings, their family, friends, adventures and dreams.
http://sds.lgm.cl/

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:04 pm UTC

Relieved to find Randall did not include the OTT among social media he's leaving. (Then again, so far as we know, he never arrived there)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:19 pm UTC

I wonder if it's correct to call a professional network "social media".

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:34 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:I wonder if it's correct to call a professional network "social media".

I'm wondering if it's still correct to call LinkedIn's spam vortex a "professional network".
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:54 pm UTC

Archgeek wrote:I'm wondering if it's still correct to call LinkedIn's spam vortex a "professional network".

Oh, some time ago it started to feed some stupid "trending articles in <whatever>" that had nothing to do with <whatever>, and I started to report them as spam. Now I don't see those "trending articles".

You can also block some persons, so that you won't see them in the "likes" of your network. But, unfortunately, you cannot block companies - at least through the standard LinkedIn interface. I wonder if I should try Greasemonkey.

blackbook7777

Postby blackbook7777 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:42 pm UTC

hey, he didnt mention klout.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:07 am UTC

This illustrates the need for a WGAF.

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:53 am UTC

He must have heard you. He's fixed it.

leeharveyosmond

Postby leeharveyosmond » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:49 am UTC

... and I too noticed this morning that the spelling of Mastodon has been fixed.

IKnowNothing

Postby IKnowNothing » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:29 pm UTC

leeharveyosmond wrote:... and I too noticed this morning that the spelling of Mastodon has been fixed.

Ditto.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:53 pm UTC

Isn't this comic just a social-media-specific version of Standards?
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

theoriok

Postby theoriok » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:15 am UTC

HowRiddikulus wrote:The social network is "Mastodon", not "Mastadon".

So is the Metalcore band, fixed my post :P

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”