2051: "Bad Opinions"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Old Bruce

Re: 2051: "Bad Opinions"

Postby Old Bruce » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:43 am UTC

sonar1313 wrote:
markfiend wrote:
sonar1313 wrote:Meh, I think it is due to incompetence and the sheer difficulty of asking one person to run a multi-trillion dollar operation that is supposed to govern 320 million people.

Doesn't explain how other countries manage...

Do they? Which other countries operate multi-trillion dollar budgets to govern 320 million people? Hopefully you're not holding up China as a model of governance here.

That response still "Doesn't explain how other countries manage..."
In answer to your Do they? Yes they do. Can you explain how other countries manage?

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:05 am UTC

Old Bruce wrote:
sonar1313 wrote:
markfiend wrote:
sonar1313 wrote:Meh, I think it is due to incompetence and the sheer difficulty of asking one person to run a multi-trillion dollar operation that is supposed to govern 320 million people.

Do they? Which other countries operate multi-trillion dollar budgets to govern 320 million people? Hopefully you're not holding up China as a model of governance here.

In answer to your Do they? Yes they do. Can you explain how other countries manage?

I am asking specifically which countries manage to ask one person to run a multi-trillion dollar operation governing 320 million people. I can hardly be expected to explain how other countries manage to do that if I don't know which countries you mean.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:49 am UTC

sonar1313 wrote:
Old Bruce wrote:
sonar1313 wrote:
markfiend wrote:

I am asking specifically which countries manage to ask one person to run a multi-trillion dollar operation governing 320 million people. I can hardly be expected to explain how other countries manage to do that if I don't know which countries you mean.

I will guess None of them.
Are there any countries which may have fine public health services, or may have great public housing, or may have agencies that protect their environment. Guessing is allowed, names aren't required.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:00 pm UTC

AndrewGPaul wrote:According to this site:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bil ... -1900.html

809 billion in 2018 is about 466 billion in 1998.

In that case, the comparison should be “75% better off” rather than “three times as well off”.

As for the “320 million people and trillion-plus budget” thing, I think that he is claiming that the point is that the USA has more population to handle than any nation besides China and India, the latter of which is a borderline third world country with a national budget worth around $410 billion in 2018. Therefore, China remains as the sole other nation which meets the high budget and high population criteria, which implies that the USA is otherwise in a class by itself.

chenille

Postby chenille » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:55 pm UTC

So if scale is the problem, it should for instance it should be possible to simultaneously give good health care to everyone on the west coast of the USA, to everyone on the east coast of the USA, and to everyone living in between. But it is impossible to give good health care to everyone in the whole USA. Makes sense, those definitely sound like entirely different challenges.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:23 pm UTC

chenille wrote:So if scale is the problem, it should for instance it should be possible to simultaneously give good health care to everyone on the west coast of the USA, to everyone on the east coast of the USA, and to everyone living in between. But it is impossible to give good health care to everyone in the whole USA. Makes sense, those definitely sound like entirely different challenges.

We could call it Schrödinger's(-cat)-care.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:54 am UTC

Old Bruce wrote:We could call it Schrödinger's(-cat)-care.

I'd like that.

"We're about to simultaneously stab you with a needle and not stab you with a needle, depending on your observation of the event."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”