2053: "Incoming Calls"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

2053: "Incoming Calls"

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:58 pm UTC

Title text: I wonder if that friendly lady ever fixed the problem she was having with her headset.

I don't get many calls, but when I do, it's my service provider trying to make me change plans.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

sardia

Re: 2053: "Incoming Calls"

Postby sardia » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:01 pm UTC

I blocked most of the spammers by letting everything go to voicemail. The legit ones leave a real voicemail, the fake ones leave a dumb one. That combined with blacklisted numbers that share my first 6 digits means I rarely answer spam. Though the spammers are getting smarter by the day. Just being too busy to answer has been the best so far.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:04 pm UTC

I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what was going on until I realized this wasn't a collection of curves but rather one of those stacked-count charts that are impossible to interpret.

C'mon, Randall, you know better than to do that. And for FSM's sake, if you must post this kind of graph, at least shade the different regions so it's clear what's being represented.

If I were retired (I wish), I'd dump this chart into DataThief and re-plot each category as a line chart.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Reka

Postby Reka » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:18 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what was going on until I realized this wasn't a collection of curves but rather one of those stacked-count charts that are impossible to interpret.

This sort of chart is the absolute best way to represent proportions over time. Why do you find it hard to interpret?

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:31 pm UTC

Reka wrote:
cellocgw wrote:I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what was going on until I realized this wasn't a collection of curves but rather one of those stacked-count charts that are impossible to interpret.
This sort of chart is the absolute best way to represent proportions over time. Why do you find it hard to interpret?
Probably because it does look (at first glance) like a meaningless collection of curves.
I agree shading or painting it would make it heaps better.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:45 pm UTC

There needs to be more regulations on spoofing numbers. Sure, there are legitimate uses (like a business with multiple phone lines), but literally 90% of my calls are local numbers being spoofed by spammers. Heck, I know spammers have spoofed my number before as I’ve gotten multiple calls back from people wondering why I’d called them. Most of the rest of the calls I get are collections agencies going after people I’ve never heard of who must’ve given my number. Maybe 5% of all incoming calls are legitimate.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:50 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:There needs to be more regulations on spoofing numbers. Sure, there are legitimate uses (like a business with multiple phone lines), but literally 90% of my calls are local numbers being spoofed by spammers. Heck, I know spammers have spoofed my number before as I’ve gotten multiple calls back from people wondering why I’d called them. Most of the rest of the calls I get are collections agencies going after people I’ve never heard of who must’ve given my number. Maybe 5% of all incoming calls are legitimate.

It was interesting when I had someone calling me alleging (via voicemail) that I had called them. I hadn't, but I couldn't tell whether (a) someone had spoofed my number and called them, or (b) the voicemail was from a spammer wanting me to call back.

The number was very close to mine, which would logically be true in either case.

I had nothing to say in either situation, so I didn't call back.
"Stars, I have seen them fall,
But when they drop and die
No star is lost at all
From all the star-sown sky.
The toil of all that be
Helps not the primal fault;
It rains into the sea
And still the sea is salt."
~A.E. Housman

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:49 pm UTC

My default telco Frontier was awful, getting worse and increasing rates about a percent per month. Frontier does not provide "simultaneous ring" to connect to a phone-spam filter service. That is one way to filter out spammers; a good option for better local telephone service providers. The Jolly Roger Telephone service is amusing, designed intercept spam calls and to waste spammer's time talking to a cheesy AI.

I am very pleased with Ooma VOIP. I switched internet service to Comcast Business (much better support than "residential") and connected the Ooma box to the net through the cable modem. Setup (including extra hardware, VOIP to POTS house wiring) was around $200 (including moving the phone numbers), the monthly is about $15, including a portion of the $100 annual premium service fee. Ooma's web interface is very customizable. My setup only rings for whitelist calls, sends all others to voicemail. 90% of the voicemail is spam (which can occur 24x7), easily blacklisted and deleted. The 10% gets whitelisted.

Current US telco rules allow large phone systems to masquerade their caller ID, enabling large businesses to offshore telephone support but display domestic caller ID. The spammers use the same process to display fraudulent caller IDs. Two wrongs that need correcting, perhaps beginning in November.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:07 pm UTC

sardia wrote:I blocked most of the spammers by letting everything go to voicemail. The legit ones leave a real voicemail, the fake ones leave a dumb one.

This is what I do as well. Anybody who wants me to call them back will leave a message. Anybody who doesn’t leave a message clearly did not care deeply enough to want me to call them back.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:21 pm UTC

I was watching an episode of the '90s reboot of "Outer Limits" last night when the main character answered her phone right after hanging up on someone else she didn't want to talk to. Her entire end of the conversation was "I don't want to change my long-distance carrier", which more than anything else placed the show firmly in the world of twenty years ago.

Whatever happened to those guys? And the King of Beepers?

Draco18s

Postby Draco18s » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:26 pm UTC

I don't get very many of those spam calls (if you do I recommend this).

On the other hand I get tons of calls from recruiters that I am interested in, so for me "unknown numbers" are pretty pickup-worthy.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:43 pm UTC

December I got a message on my answering machine saying there was a problem with my tax return and if I did not call back they were going to send the "cops" to arrest me. A couple weeks later I got a call I did not pay my bill and they were going to "shut my computer off". In January I got a call that my computer was sending errors on the internet. I don't answer my land line.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:06 pm UTC

i get scam and other spam calls pretty much constantly plus my mom is a fucking nutcase whose life is always falling apart and i have NO FUCKING TIME FOR ANYTHING so i just dont answer my phone at all anymore. everything goes to voicemail, i'll check it when i have a chance, if you don't leave a message i assume you're spam and add you to my blocked spammer contact, if you're mom i immediately go into a panic attack and that's a topic for another post

but the fuckers

themotherfuckers

called my FUCKING WORK

got my COWORKER to put them through to me

A TRUSTED FUCKING COWORKER WHO I BELIEVED

and i don't want to relate the rest of the story now but fucking shitfucking sacks of shit made me institute a "never put through any calls for me" policy at work. anyone calling for me at work is a scam. report them to the police immediately and don't even tell me about it.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:14 pm UTC

RANDALL! Have you been hacking my phone records!? :shock:

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:18 pm UTC

keithl wrote:My default telco Frontier was awful, getting worse and increasing rates about a percent per month. Frontier does not provide "simultaneous ring" to connect to a phone-spam filter service. That is one way to filter out spammers; a good option for better local telephone service providers. The Jolly Roger Telephone service is amusing, designed intercept spam calls and to waste spammer's time talking to a cheesy AI.

That is glorious. I'm going to have to give that a listen later. Though, a rogue 'l' seems to've slipped into your URL there, busting the link.

keithl wrote:I am very pleased with Ooma VOIP. I switched internet service to Comcast Business (much better support than "residential") and connected the Ooma box to the net through the cable modem. Setup (including extra hardware, VOIP to POTS house wiring) was around $200 (including moving the phone numbers), the monthly is about $15, including a portion of the $100 annual premium service fee. Ooma's web interface is very customizable. My setup only rings for whitelist calls, sends all others to voicemail. 90% of the voicemail is spam (which can occur 24x7), easily blacklisted and deleted. The 10% gets whitelisted.

Nice. I've actually had their old flagship product, the HUB, for some years now. $100 up front, free phone service and online voicemail ever since (I've turned down every premium option).
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:34 pm UTC

>90% of unknown calls from my area code are spoofed scammer calls (I live in a different area code than my phone's area code). Mostly of the "we're calling because you have previously taken a cruise with our company..." variety. I've never been on a cruise, so I never let them get past the opening line, not like I'm cutting someone off though, as it's always a recording.

For the longest time I never answered unknown callers, but was on the job search recently, so I was forced to answer the phone, and the amount of time that it was a survey or scammer was mind-boggling. I ended up with a rule that worked most of the time: If you are unable to respond to a "hello" in 5 seconds, you get hung up on, as you're likely a telemarketer (I figure this is due to some sort of automated delay, but it's true nearly 100% of the time).
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:52 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:If you are unable to respond to a "hello" in 5 seconds, you get hung up on, as you're likely a telemarketer (I figure this is due to some sort of automated delay, but it's true nearly 100% of the time).

Yes, that's an autodialer. A computer calls you, waits for you to say something, and then tries to connect you to one of the drones in their call center in Bangalore. No sense paying call center people to wait for you to answer, right?

This is also why those calls frequently just hang up on you after you say "hello"; all the drones were busy when you foolishly answered your own phone. (They'll call you back later. And do the same thing.)

Checking my phone's history, September was an even three-way split between my parents, various appointments, and scams. Assuming those that left no message were scams.

Strangely, no politics (unless they were some of the hangups). Or pollsters. I guess nobody cares what suburbanites think.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:47 pm UTC

The last dud call I answered (at a relative's house, because I was closer to the phone, and apparently I sound the same, so I can even field calls from people who know him) was an automated voice suggesting that 'my' broadband connection was going to be cut off in 24-48 hours, and to press 1 to talk to someone who could help 'me'. (They identified the broadband supplier wrong, as it happens, but that wasn't the only clue it was a scam.)

I very nearly pressed that 1 to play around with the script-reader at the other end (mix in a bit of PC, Mac, Linux, maybe some BeOS, hey, maybe some GDFS - I'd have had some weird setup as I tried to 'let them control my computer') but there was always the risk I'd (erroneously) get the number put on the "gullible list" of all the people who fell for such a bad social-engineering scam, and increase the chances of a deliberate wetware attack (rather than maybe a subtle feeler against a randomly dialled number) against said relative in the future.

For myself, not maintaining a landline of my own for many a year I tend to get "Hi, this is <my mobile operator>, could you help us get you on a better plan by telling us what plan you're currently on and how much you use your mobile", where if they were actually <my mobile operator> then they'd obviously have passed this information from Billing to Upgrade Fulfillment divisions (or whatever they call them). I sometimes call them out on this. "Oh, no, we're not directly <operator>, but we do work with them and *mumble mumble Data Protection mumble mumble Maybe GDPR next time they call*…" when they clearly state they were <operator> in the opening spiel. (They guess correctly about this provider only because mine is a number in a provider-block, normally assigned to their customers. If I'd ever taken up opportunities to transfer the number across to another provider, like what these people may have actually been trying tomget me to do, then it would be as wrong as the ISP guess in the prior example. Though I might then be on someone's records as "willing to be sold a change".)

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:48 am UTC

Shit like this is one of the big reasons I believe our whole telecom system needs to be rebuilt from scratch. If it's not physically impossible to contact someone, without their consent, without valid proof of identity—to the people running the system if not necessarily to the recipient—something has utterly failed on a fundamental level. There's a time and a place where anonymity is important, and this ain't it.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:51 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Shit like this is one of the big reasons I believe our whole telecom system needs to be rebuilt from scratch. If it's not physically impossible to contact someone, without their consent, without valid proof of identity—to the people running the system if not necessarily to the recipient—something has utterly failed on a fundamental level. There's a time and a place where anonymity is important, and this ain't it.

I bolded the only part I don't agree with 100%. I feel that there must be some stuff that we could use in the new system.

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:57 am UTC

I've noticed in recent weeks that the spoofers are getting a bit smarter. Instead of spoofing the first 6 digits, they only do the first 5. I guess too many people have gotten wise to their spoofing.
Whenever visually representing the universe, it's important to include a picture of Saturn!
-- Tom the Dancing Bug

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:15 am UTC

I'm that guy who hates using text. As far as I'm concerned if you need to send a bit of one-way information like a phone number or a date/time/address text is great (especially something the other person might want to write down anyway), If you expect any more than a yes/no response you should just fucking call.

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:12 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:i get scam and other spam calls pretty much constantly plus my mom is a fucking nutcase..."

The only people who call my land line are those two (my own mother, not yours). That's why I never answer mine.

Pfhorrest wrote:themotherfuckers
called my FUCKING WORK
got my COWORKER to put them through to me

Had that a few times. Trying to train the slower members of staff.
One was a job agency pretending to be one of our customers to get through to me. Most agencies I've dealt with in the past tell lies. They put you forward for jobs that don't match your skill set, pay too low, etc.
So this one who has shown his ability to lie just to talk to me is one not to be trusted.
I 'koffed him*and hung up.

*koffed him - told him to fuck off.

jackal

Postby jackal » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:57 pm UTC

sotanaht wrote:I'm that guy who hates using text. As far as I'm concerned if you need to send a bit of one-way information like a phone number or a date/time/address text is great (especially something the other person might want to write down anyway), If you expect any more than a yes/no response you should just fucking call.

Well, don’t call me; I’ll [not] call you.

I’m constantly annoyed by my one friend like you. He calls at the most inopportune times, and it’s a massive disruption. I’ve finally trained him to (mostly) at least text me before he calls so I have a heads-up and can get to a place where it won’t be as disruptive.

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:04 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:>90% of unknown calls from my area code are spoofed scammer calls (I live in a different area code than my phone's area code). Mostly of the "we're calling because you have previously taken a cruise with our company..." variety. I've never been on a cruise, so I never let them get past the opening line, not like I'm cutting someone off though, as it's always a recording.

My cell phone precisely follows this formula (https://www.xkcd.com/1129/) for its phone number, and I only ever get two types of calls/texts/messages from that area code any more: spoofed-number scams, and texts trying to set up drug deals. I've been tempted to arrange some meeting just for giggles since I'm 800 miles away. I would obviously not be there - whether the cops would is another question I'd have to ponder.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:54 pm UTC

sardia wrote:I blocked most of the spammers by letting everything go to voicemail. The legit ones leave a real voicemail, the fake ones leave a dumb one. That combined with blacklisted numbers that share my first 6 digits means I rarely answer spam. Though the spammers are getting smarter by the day. Just being too busy to answer has been the best so far.

Yeah, that's been working for me too. My office is in my home, and I only use my cell when I'm out and about, so I have a pretty good idea how bad the problem has become. On average I get 5-6 spam/scam calls a day on my landline, and just let my machine take the call if I don't recognize the number or caller ID.

Problem of late is that I've got a bunch of contractors on tap for work around the house so I've had to pick up anything that comes in for the last couple weeks now. What I get is mostly political surveys and recordings, and the occasional IRS scam. I used to at least try to be polite, but when it becomes apparent the caller is reading a script and won't let you interrupt ... then I just hang up.

Had to go to Explain XKCD for the alt text though. I had a caller do that once (claimed to be dealing with her young daughter) but didn't realize it was another common scam.

suso

Postby suso » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:11 pm UTC

JohnTheWysard wrote:RANDALL! Have you been hacking my phone records!? :shock:

:D Funny.

On a serious note. I think that in the US robocalls/spoofed numbers/scamcalls should be categorized under a terrorist attack because it is basically an attack on critical infrastructure (the phone system that has received much public funding over the last century to develop). It's a pain point with nearly everyone and congress seems to be taking the side with the telemarketing businesses and phone companies (who don't care, just want to sell more services). Why are people putting up with this situation when it's causing serious communication issues?
Imagine theres no signatures....

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:29 pm UTC

suso wrote:

On a serious note. I think that in the US robocalls/spoofed numbers/scamcalls should be categorized under a terrorist attack because it is basically an attack on critical infrastructure (the phone system that has received much public funding over the last century to develop). It's a pain point with nearly everyone and congress seems to be taking the side with the telemarketing businesses and phone companies (who don't care, just want to sell more services). Why are people putting up with this situation when it's causing serious communication issues?

Because phone companies, who just want to sell more service, are powerful companies with powerful lobbies, and with the current state of government, the average person who is negatively affected by these attacks (calls), has nearly zero say over government restrictions/regulations. Those in power have no desire to change the status quo, as it is the current state of the status quo that is making them money.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:52 pm UTC

Where the hell do you guys all live? And I thought the pre-recorded messages from politicians once or twice every election year are annoying. :lol:
—◯-◯

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:49 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:Where the hell do you guys all live? And I thought the pre-recorded messages from politicians once or twice every election year are annoying. :lol:

I'm in Arizona, and my telecom provider is CenturyLink. And of course they don't offer the "simultaneous ring" feature or I'd be using one of those spam screening services. Now that my wireless provider has enough cell towers in my rural area I'm thinking about just dropping my landline.

gcgcgcgc

Postby gcgcgcgc » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:12 pm UTC

Reka wrote:

This type of chart is deceptive if the total quantity of the thing you are measuring changes over time. Otherwise you are left wondering why Randall's family called him less often around 2008, when they could have been calling as frequently or more, but the high rate of Auto Insurance Scammers pushed the relative numbers down.

(Over here (UK) it seems to be mostly PPI insurance spam and ambulance chasers. Probably the latter is just that one persistent company that keeps calling under different names but the exact same script asking me if I had an auto accident lately...)

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:31 pm UTC

Sonic# wrote:
pogrmman wrote:There needs to be more regulations on spoofing numbers. Sure, there are legitimate uses (like a business with multiple phone lines), but literally 90% of my calls are local numbers being spoofed by spammers. Heck, I know spammers have spoofed my number before as I’ve gotten multiple calls back from people wondering why I’d called them. Most of the rest of the calls I get are collections agencies going after people I’ve never heard of who must’ve given my number. Maybe 5% of all incoming calls are legitimate.

It was interesting when I had someone calling me alleging (via voicemail) that I had called them. I hadn't, but I couldn't tell whether (a) someone had spoofed my number and called them, or (b) the voicemail was from a spammer wanting me to call back.

The number was very close to mine, which would logically be true in either case.

I had nothing to say in either situation, so I didn't call back.

I spammer spoofed your number 100%. A recent trick has been to spoof a number with the same exchange so it looks like it might be someone who lives nearby. That's starting to fall out of fashion now that people have figured out to block their own exchange.

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:32 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:
somitomi wrote:Where the hell do you guys all live? And I thought the pre-recorded messages from politicians once or twice every election year are annoying. :lol:

I'm in Arizona, and my telecom provider is CenturyLink. And of course they don't offer the "simultaneous ring" feature or I'd be using one of those spam screening services. Now that my wireless provider has enough cell towers in my rural area I'm thinking about just dropping my landline.

I haven't had a landline in years. Sorry to tell you that moving to a cell phone won't save you from them.

suso

Postby suso » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:15 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
suso wrote:

Because phone companies, who just want to sell more service, are powerful companies with powerful lobbies, and with the current state of government, the average person who is negatively affected by these attacks (calls), has nearly zero say over government restrictions/regulations. Those in power have no desire to change the status quo, as it is the current state of the status quo that is making them money.

Even when it causes people not to pick up the phone when politicians call asking for more money or to robocall you? It goes both ways.
Imagine theres no signatures....

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:22 pm UTC

suso wrote:Even when it causes people not to pick up the phone when politicians call asking for more money or to robocall you? It goes both ways.

How much money is really made from cold-calls by a politician's outreach team, compared to donations by big business or high-profile/budget organizations?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:32 pm UTC

with that kind of thinking you should ask why they even both to do the fundraising calls

which the telecoms don't want them thinking, because then they get paid less

so the telecoms should care to make fundraising calls at least seems potentially useful to make

which they won't seem if nobody picks up their phone anymore
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:06 am UTC

freezeblade wrote:
suso wrote:Even when it causes people not to pick up the phone when politicians call asking for more money or to robocall you? It goes both ways.

How much money is really made from cold-calls by a politician's outreach team, compared to donations by big business or high-profile/budget organizations?

Small donors are significant; Politifact, fact-checking the Campaign Finance Institute, states:

Politifact wrote:Trump received about $239 million from donors who gave less than $200 in total. That amounts to 69 percent of the Trump campaign’s individual contributions

Hillary Clinton received about $137 million from $200-or-under donors. That made up 22 percent of the campaign’s individual contributions

Bernie Sanders received about $100 million, or 44 percent of his campaign’s individual contributions

Going back further, President Barack Obama received about $219 million from small-dollar donors in 2012, or 28 percent of his campaign’s individual contributions, In 2008, Obama received about $181 million, or 24 percent of his total individual contributions.

The Center for Responsive Politics has the 2016 campaigns taking in $4 billion total, so $470 million in sub-$200 donations is about 12% of the take. Using the percentages from Politifact to calculate all the individual contributors, Trump got $346M, Clinton got $623M, and Sanders got $227M, so a bit over a quarter of the $4B total.

Now, how many of these sub-$200 donations (or larger individual donations) were the result of telephone solicitations... your guess is as good as mine.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:11 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:Now, how many of these sub-$200 donations (or larger individual donations) were the result of telephone solicitations... your guess is as good as mine.

This is the crux of my argument, I don't know if/where these numbers are available, but cold-call-solicitations to personal phones (in my personal estimation) can't account for a meaningful percentage of campaign donations as a whole.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:42 am UTC

Then, assuming the politicians aren't stupid*, they make "enough" that it's worth having an unpaid campaign volunteer calling people, versus having them do something else.

* - Objection! assumes facts not in evidence.

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:23 am UTC

Stuff like this is why I love my cell number. I was living briefly in Louisiana and switched providers for a new phone and swapped my number. Ever since moving back it is very easy to weed out the unwanted calls, it's everything that starts 985.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”