2053: "Incoming Calls"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

orthogon

Re: 2053: "Incoming Calls"

Postby orthogon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:29 pm UTC

keithl wrote:voicemail

One thing about the UK is that you never have to pay for incoming calls (unless you're roaming outside the EU), whereas you often have to pay per-minute for voicemail. Consequently, you really don't want them to leave a voicemail, since if they do, the fuckers will cost you actual money, or you'll have the voicemail icon showing and might miss a real message later. So there's some incentive to answer; it might even be worth calling back if you have inclusive minutes so the marginal cost is zero.

I get a lot of ambulance chasers. I generally ask them to remind me about the "accident that wasn't my fault" - when did it happen, exactly? What happened? What do you think my name is? Really I'd like a way to hurt the shyster company in the pocket without hurting the poor kid trying to make a living at a call centre, but I'm not sure how best to do that.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:48 pm UTC

gcgcgcgc wrote:(Over here (UK) it seems to be mostly PPI insurance spam and ambulance chasers. Probably the latter is just that one persistent company that keeps calling under different names but the exact same script asking me if I had an auto accident lately...)

She is a bot. It's a recording that waits for you to respond and plays appropriate additional recordings depending if you say yes, no or ramble on about the time you lost your family in an RTC and it is rather insensitive for those money grabbing, soulless MFs to keep calling you and bring it to the forefront of your mind.

YTPrenewed

Postby YTPrenewed » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:33 pm UTC

You get fewer wrong numbers than you used to?

Lucky you.

A couple months ago I got a voicemail from someone threatening legal action against me. I was left wondering what the hell that could be about (yes, some of my YouTube videos have crossed copyright lines; but rightly or wrongly, they've blocked those videos instead of going after me) until I called them back and it turned out to be a collections agency going after the former owner of the phone number I currently have.

Now imagine if the recipient of that voicemail had been the subject of some malicious false accusation or ongoing smear campaign. How could THAT have ended? The suicide of the recipient? An act of violence against the accuser? Who'd be held liable for THAT?

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:44 am UTC

Yeah, if somebody is talking about lawsuits, then demand to see it in writing. The courts require that all parties in a legal action be notified on paper, delivered either by US Mail or by an agent of the court.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”