2131: “Emojidome”

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

belliott4488

Re: 2131: “Emojidome”

Postby belliott4488 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:07 pm UTC

Spaaaaaaace!!!!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:07 pm UTC

Image Ouch, that one stings.

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:08 pm UTC

This was underwhelming, I thought there'd be some kind of award ceremony or at least a solitaire animation.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord◯‐◯―

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:17 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:This was underwhelming, I thought there'd be some kind of award ceremony or at least a solitaire animation.

Stay tuned.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

edo

Postby edo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:22 pm UTC

threetwoone wrote:the floppy lost :(

The Floppy died so others could be saved

[Edit to add:]
Flumble wrote:boooooooo

Hedgehog should've won!

#WomanScientistWuddaWon

somitomi wrote:This was underwhelming, I thought there'd be some kind of award ceremony or at least a solitaire animation.

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsAiCs66l40
Last edited by edo on Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Trives

Postby Trives » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:25 pm UTC

I'm really hoping for a nice long Blag post about the Emojidome! The how to's behind it, the expectations, the reality, and the CHARTS. Oh me yarm the charts.

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:30 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:

Stay tuned.

I think the OOTers know the right approach to this: find something to do until he posts something final :wink:. At the very least I'm expecting him to update the brackets at https://xkcd.com/2131/emojidome_bracket_round_of_32.png (and https://xkcd.com/2131/emojidome_bracket ... of_128.png) with the final resutls.

I am a little disappointed that hedgehog lost. Watching the stats I was hopeful hedgehog would pull up and edge space out in the last minute. Instead space got another surge in the last few seconds to widen its lead.

In the end though, ~1.4 M votes! Looks like each one eclipsed the previous round's total votes!

And really, who can compete with SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:45 pm UTC

Cute final image! And very quickly created! Image Image

I'm slightly concerned that the hedgehog doesn't have a suit. Maybe it wasn't prepared to go to spaaace today...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:04 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Cute final image! And very quickly created! Image Image

I'm slightly concerned that the hedgehog doesn't have a suit. Maybe it wasn't prepared to go to spaaace today...

Yeah, well this won't make a whole lot of sense to anyone blitzing xkcd later, but it is a cute image.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord◯‐◯―

SordidEuphemism

Postby SordidEuphemism » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:22 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:

Yeah, well this won't make a whole lot of sense to anyone blitzing xkcd later, but it is a cute image.

Sure it will. Click on the comic. =)

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:27 pm UTC

SordidEuphemism wrote:
somitomi wrote:

Sure it will. Click on the comic. =)

It might help, but it won't make things clear in my opinion.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord◯‐◯―

The Snide Sniper

Postby The Snide Sniper » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:28 pm UTC

Out of all the emojis in the original bracket, I never would have expected the star field emoji to be the winner.
Also known as "RamenChef" on various other fora.
Me on: Drawception | Explain xkcd | NationStates | The Sluggite Zone | Stack Overflow

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:36 pm UTC

The space and the hedgehog in it does remind me of a certain flash game, so maybe it was meant to go to space from the beginning.
---Three Two One!---

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:17 pm UTC

The Snide Sniper wrote:Out of all the emojis in the original bracket, I never would have expected the star field emoji to be the winner.

Well, the voters were the xkcd-following population. Given that, it wasn't too surprising to see SCIENCE! and spaaace! in the Final Four.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:37 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
The Snide Sniper wrote:Out of all the emojis in the original bracket, I never would have expected the star field emoji to be the winner.

Well, the voters were the xkcd-following population. Given that, it wasn't too surprising to see SCIENCE! and spaaace! in the Final Four.

I counter that it just shows the flaws in a Knockout, WInner-takes -all voting system (USA I'm calling you).

If we went back and applied rank-order recursive rules to everyones original rating, things might be quite different. (Basically, you'd have to rate all the entrants from 1 thru N, then if no entrant gets >50% of the number 1 votes, drop a few off the bottom and re-count using people's second choices, etc.)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:44 pm UTC

Exactly what were we supposed to be basing our votes on in the first place?
And why didn't they include the eggplant?

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:51 pm UTC

RAGBRAIvet wrote:Exactly what were we supposed to be basing our votes on in the first place?
And why didn't they include the eggplant?

Why didn't they invite the Golden State Warriors to March Madness?
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:34 pm UTC

As of Tuesday afternoon (2 April) on the East Coast of the US, clicking the image takes you to https://xkcd.com/2131/emojidome_bracket_round_of_128.png. There were more than 128 initial competitors, though, weren't there? Is emojidome_bracket_round_of_256.png coming?

I recall seeing the fox paired against a dog with the comment "Nice doggos", and then the next pairing was a goat with something else (llama, maybe?) with a comment along the lines of "More dogs". No sign of those in the "round of 128".

Also, I know I saw an electric guitar emoji go by at least twice, and it's not there either ...
Last edited by belliott4488 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Reka

Postby Reka » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:32 pm UTC

belliott4488 wrote:As of Tuesday afternoon (2 April) on the East Coast of the US, clicking the image takes you to https://xkcd.com/2131/emojidome_bracket_round_of_128.png. There were more than 128 initial competitors, though, weren't there?

explainxkcd says round 1 had 256 competitors.

teelo

Postby teelo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:15 pm UTC

Oh damn I missed this event. Anyone got screenies of what it all looked like?

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:24 pm UTC

RAGBRAIvet wrote:And why didn't they include the eggplant?

Have you heard the tale of Boaty McBoatFace?

That's why the purple alien penis eggplant wasn't included.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:33 pm UTC

teelo wrote:Oh damn I missed this event. Anyone got screenies of what it all looked like?

Explainxkcd basically has all the detail, that I think you can get more than enough gist from (the "error" screen, the "waiting to show you something" screen, an example of voting with the hearts floating up, links to the bracket-images, the finale page that you also now get), even if it's not as dynamic, 'happening' and interactable any more.

(PS, if nobody has done so already, could someone perhaps edit (at least) the the expandable lists of emojii in their rounds, on the explainxkcd page, and augment them to have a textual name/desc of each emoji quoted, I just don't see half of the symbols, just " (31415) vs. (92653)". Alternatively, crop out decent versions of the images of the xkcd versions (maybe from the full bracketting picture) and embed those, because even the ones I do have are the frankly baffling default Android "indistinct android head, I have no idea if it's laughing, crying, waving a hand or what" symbol that doesn't doesn't do much to represent the glory of what they really are.)

MarkGyver

Postby MarkGyver » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:57 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:
RAGBRAIvet wrote:And why didn't they include the eggplant?

Have you heard the tale of Boaty McBoatFace?

That's why the purple alien penis eggplant wasn't included.

Do you mean that it was disqualified because it might have won with overwhelming popular support, or because it's too humorous?

The only problem I see with the Boaty McBoatface incident is that the Natural Environment Research Council chose the 4th place name for the ship in question. For reference, "Boaty McBoatface" was the most popular suggestion at 33.16% of the vote, while the next 4 suggestions collectively received only 20.67% of the vote. Even so, NERC at least had the decency to give that name to the lead autonomous underwater vehicle in the fleet.
Generation 0: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and change it so that it looks like you inspired this signature. Social experiment.

Waldo

Postby Waldo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:15 am UTC

I need to break my long, long forum silence to say that it's a travesty that Volcano didn't win. But maybe that's just my inner bitter geologist and outer bitter geologist finally finding something to agree on.
[Signature pending...]

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:56 am UTC

I'm glad the owl scandal didn't sully the final result :P

Or did it? Would swan, duck, turtle, penguin, octopus, or bee have defeated Milky Way? Can we be sure the owl ballot-stuffing only happened against octopus? Or only for the owl?

We need a full investigation! And a recount!

Time Traveler

Postby Time Traveler » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:51 am UTC

I'm still unsure what exactly we were supposed to be voting for - which emoji we thought was the coolest? The most funny? The best representative for xkcd? I participated in some of the early, lightning-fast rounds, but it was hard to make a decision without any premises or objective.

Well, whatever the question was, it turns out the answer is SPAAAAAAAACE! And a hedgehog.
xkcd fan since 2009.

FOARP

Postby FOARP » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:09 am UTC

Actaeus wrote:I'm glad the owl scandal didn't sully the final result :P

Or did it? Would swan, duck, turtle, penguin, octopus, or bee have defeated Milky Way? Can we be sure the owl ballot-stuffing only happened against octopus? Or only for the owl?

We need a full investigation! And a recount!

The Hedgehog shoulda campaigned in Wisconsin.

Still, what a crock - space winning? Yeah, I know this is basically the XKCD showing their love for science, but as an emoji it's just poor. The hedgehog has all the fundamentals - cuteness, potential usefulness etc.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:23 am UTC

The official name of the winning emoji is Milky Way. Its Unicode codepoint is U+1F30C. As well as the official name, it has several synonyms: Galaxy, Night Sky, Space, Stars, & Universe. It has over a dozen different visual representations, which you can see on Emojipedia.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:01 am UTC

It was quite obvious to me that it was specifically the Milky Way, from the representation, but it seems that's something people just don't even know about these days.

As to what the "what we were voting for", I took it as "which of these two do you think deseeves your vote?", with it being up to the beholder to define themselves in each and every match what the criteria were. And as you moved on from animal-type vs animal-type and emotion-type vs emotion-type blocks and had to mix types all of the time, you were (perhaps, though I don't think this match happened) voting "the animal that out-animalled all its rival animals" vs "the emotion that out-emotioned all its rival emotions".

Regardless, we got a result.

I think we might have gotten some interesting results from a longer random vs random accumulator of uptick-vs-downtick vote differences. Perhaps culling those along the way that accumulated significant net disapproval after having received a threshold of judgements (zero or half the vote-counts of those that remain, to encourage the significance of new votes rather than sit on their laurels if they were initially spammed with support in the early stages).

Perhaps even take the more popular ones and create hybrid 'descendants' ("starry hedgehog" and/or "spiky way", as an example), if Randall could dedicate himself to trying to find such drawable new items, to inject into the system for judgement alongside their parents and cousins and the rest. Though that would be hard work to commit to, behind the scenes on Randall's drawing pad, if not pre-imagined in all the possible (overwhelmingly unused) combinations. I'll admit I stole this concept from Darwinian Poetry*, which relied on an automated "breeding" of each new generation of poetry from their popular parents.

And I've long had the idea for "Darwinian Flags" (or other images constructed using simple drawing rules) which had a hybridisation method built into the 'markup' behind the iconography.

* No longer around, but read about it at http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/ ... 909071.htm and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwinian_poetry and http://www.collisiondetection.net/mt/ar ... _poetr.php

IKnowNothing

Postby IKnowNothing » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:54 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:Bracket viewer
https://phiresky.github.io/emojidome/

I knew the vote counts were out there somewhere.

Thanks.

I'd also like to see the unique voter count throughout the entire Emojidome competition. Recognizing that I personally voted from three unique devices during the competition, I guess it would really only be the number of unique devices participating during Emojidome. It's a great opportunity for a graph that shows level of participation from different regions of the world throughout the hours of Emojidome.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:00 pm UTC

Waldo wrote:I need to break my long, long forum silence to say that it's a travesty that Volcano didn't win. But maybe that's just my inner bitter geologist and outer bitter geologist finally finding something to agree on.

You can't fool me: it was your inner Evil World Dictator complaining that your home didn't win here, and hadn't won "Better Homes and Gardens" House of The Year either.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

IKnowNothing

Postby IKnowNothing » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:38 pm UTC

In the next competition, we should have newfangled emojis versus vintage textual emoticons/smileys. :D vs. : D

Ranbot

Postby Ranbot » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:13 pm UTC

Waldo wrote:I need to break my long, long forum silence to say that it's a travesty that Volcano didn't win. But maybe that's just my inner bitter geologist and outer bitter geologist finally finding something to agree on.

Agreed. This travesty breccias my heart. Too many people take Volcano for granite.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:15 pm UTC

IKnowNothing wrote:I'd also like to see the unique voter count throughout the entire Emojidome competition. Recognizing that I personally voted from three unique devices during the competition, I guess it would really only be the number of unique devices participating during Emojidome. It's a great opportunity for a graph that shows level of participation from different regions of the world throughout the hours of Emojidome.

Would it be devices, IP addresses, browser instances, or some other dubious proxy for individual people? A 24 hour period is long enough for my apparent location to change at least once...

Cougar Allen

Postby Cougar Allen » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:23 am UTC

Detox665 wrote:
freezeblade wrote:
captHij wrote:Left emoji have an unfair advantage. Also, the votes from people from less populated areas should be given more weight. Otherwise they will not be able to impose their values on everyone else.

Too real. I weep for our voting system.

Because protecting the minority from the excesses of a popular majority is a bad thing?

Should we apply that principle to all minority groups? Should the votes of Jewish people count more, because they're a minority? How about black voters? Gay voters? Are rural people the only minority that should get that protection?

Cougar Allen

Postby Cougar Allen » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:33 am UTC

MarkGyver wrote:The only problem I see with the Boaty McBoatface incident is that the Natural Environment Research Council chose the 4th place name for the ship in question. For reference, "Boaty McBoatface" was the most popular suggestion at 33.16% of the vote, while the next 4 suggestions collectively received only 20.67% of the vote. Even so, NERC at least had the decency to give that name to the lead autonomous underwater vehicle in the fleet.

Which SHOULD have been named Subby McSubface.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:57 am UTC

Cougar Allen wrote:
Detox665 wrote:
freezeblade wrote:
captHij wrote:Left emoji have an unfair advantage. Also, the votes from people from less populated areas should be given more weight. Otherwise they will not be able to impose their values on everyone else.

Too real. I weep for our voting system.

Because protecting the minority from the excesses of a popular majority is a bad thing?

Should we apply that principle to all minority groups? Should the votes of Jewish people count more, because they're a minority? How about black voters? Gay voters? Are rural people the only minority that should get that protection?

The system was designed to protect the interests of wealthy landowners against those of urban areas. That hack was necessary to get the agrarian (read: slave) states to join the Union in its quest for independence from the British Empire. The high-minded-sounding "excesses of the majority" thing (as if minorities are immune to selfish impulses!) is just how American school kids are indoctrinated to love the system nowadays.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:21 am UTC

Cougar Allen wrote:
MarkGyver wrote:The only problem I see with the Boaty McBoatface incident is that the Natural Environment Research Council chose the 4th place name for the ship in question. For reference, "Boaty McBoatface" was the most popular suggestion at 33.16% of the vote, while the next 4 suggestions collectively received only 20.67% of the vote. Even so, NERC at least had the decency to give that name to the lead autonomous underwater vehicle in the fleet.

Which SHOULD have been named Subby McSubface.

You mean "Subby McSubsurface"?
―◯‐◯ FG Discord◯‐◯―

solune

Postby solune » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:21 pm UTC

MarkGyver wrote:Even so, NERC at least had the decency to give that name to the lead autonomous underwater vehicle in the fleet.

I didn't know that. I guess I can forgive them for betraying the will of the people.

On a matter vaguely related to the comic, I was reminded that it's impossible to search for ascii smileys on google. I had a frustrating time when I tried to find the meaning of \o/
I'm still not quite sure whether it means:
  • I'm raising my hands in the air in anger/despair
  • I'm raising my hands in a victory sign
  • a modification of lol

I also haven't found: an extensive list of horizontal ascii smileys with their meaning (e.g. °_°)

Cougar Allen

Postby Cougar Allen » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:46 am UTC

somitomi wrote:You mean "Subby McSubsurface"?

That could work, if you pronounce it with the accent on the last syllable. :>

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”