2131: “Emojidome”

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

orthogon

Re: 2131: “Emojidome”

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:52 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:It was quite obvious to me that it was specifically the Milky Way, from the representation, but it seems that's something people just don't even know about these days.

As to what the "what we were voting for", I took it as "which of these two do you think deseeves your vote?", with it being up to the beholder to define themselves in each and every match what the criteria were.

A vote in which every voter has their own definition of what the vote means? Thank goodness that couldn't happen in, say, a national referendum. (I missed this whole thing - was there a unicorn amongst the contestants?)

Also, it's a couple of pages back now, but the phrase "round of sixteen" always sounded stupid to me, since people started saying it during some World Cup in the 90s, but I can't remember what we used to call it. My best guess was just "the second round". In other languages you can just say "the eighths" (e.g. "Les huitièmes") but that sounds awkward.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:29 pm UTC

Indeed.

orthogon wrote:(I missed this whole thing - was there a unicorn amongst the contestants?)
Didn't see it myself, but checking Explainxkcd…

Yes, Unicorn (face?) beat Zebra (face?) 6380 votes to 3486 in round 1. (I have neither of these emojis pre-installed on this system, so I'm taking the text description for cues.)
Unicorn (10318 votes) beat a deer (5619) in round 2.
It overcame a ram in round 3. (Extremely close, at 12505 vs 12498!)
In round 4 a cat (whole cat, not a face!) knocked it out 25965/20912.

For comparison, that version of the cat seems to have overcome a "lion face", a "cat face" (the only one to be depicted on my browser in an actual, but basic, emoji, of all those I mention in this post) and a tiger on its way to R4. It then loses in R5 against the spiky/pointy cat hedgehog. Several other (emotive) cat faces and felidae were in at the start. Maybe if there'd been "crying unicorn", "laughing unicorn", etc, one or other might have had alternate routes closer to victory...

(Or did you mean was there a Unicorn in a national referendum? If so, yes. Equally fictitious, yet it somehow scraped a 'win' anyway. Nobody has seen it embody itself yet, though.)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:47 pm UTC

I meant in the comic - I'm painfully aware of the unicorn in the referendum, sadly.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

MarkGyver

Postby MarkGyver » Mon May 06, 2019 9:00 pm UTC

solune wrote: I had a frustrating time when I tried to find the meaning of \o/
I'm still not quite sure whether it means:
  • I'm raising my hands in the air in anger/despair
  • I'm raising my hands in a victory sign
  • a modification of lol

I immediately interpreted it as "drowning".
I also haven't found: an extensive list of horizontal ascii smileys with their meaning (e.g. °_°)

Wikipedia: List of emoticons wrote:\o/ Cheer "Yay, yay."

Looks like neither your guesses nor mine matched the documented expectation. As for "°_°", it's unlisted; but, it lists both "(°_°)" and "(°_°>)" as "Confused". ((+_+))
Generation 0: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and change it so that it looks like you inspired this signature. Social experiment.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”