0325: "A-Minus-Minus"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lunch Meat

Re: "A-Minus-Minus" Discussion

Postby Lunch Meat » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:05 am UTC

Oh no...I must keep xkcd from my mom at all costs. Usually the general sequence of events goes something like this: I think of the joke, but know they wouldn't get it. I resist telling it for a little while, pacifying myself with thoughts of telling it to my xkcdian friends later. Then I can't help it anymore and burst out with the joke. They look at me blankly. I struggle to explain for a few seconds, but the looks get blanker. Or I say something that makes my mom give my dad this look like "We need to get the Internet out of her room while she's at home. Why did we send her to public school again?" Then I give up.

I don't think I would ever dare make an xkcd-related joke to my grandmother. I think the world would break.

DVC

Postby DVC » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:14 pm UTC

Lunch Meat: Ironically this is the only xkcd comic I've sent to any member of my family. My Dad is well into ebay, so it was actually worhtwhile to share it with him.

btw: Although blank looks suck when it comes to jokes, I often find they are fun when it comes to puns. It gives me a chance to say 'Hello, is this thing on? Tough crowd' etc.

fibonacci

Thread necro, but with relevant content

Postby fibonacci » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:17 am UTC

A visitor in my folks' garden in Arizona.

bobfish

Re: Thread necro, but with relevant content

Postby bobfish » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:26 am UTC

fibonacci wrote:A visitor in my folks' garden in Arizona.

I believe it goes without saying what you must do.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

Flying Betty wrote:And then there's this, which may be the best ebay feedback ever. A teaser quote: "I am a walrus. I type using my flippers. Hee."

That link made me too happy for words, will forever have enriched my life, for which I don't know how to repay you.

"If I HYPOTHETICALLY kill a bunch of people, where should I dispose of the bodies?"
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

nowhereman

Re: 0325: "A-Minus-Minus"

Postby nowhereman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

I think the most bizarre thing about this comic is that my dad did something similar. As he tells me, he once took a suitcase and shoved a bobcat into it. Then he shook the suitcase thereby pissing the bobcat off (one would think it was already pissed off, but what do I know) then he left it in the middle of the road. Eventually someone stopped his car and decided to grab the suitcase. Apparently he decided to open it not outside, but in his car after he started driving again. Needless to say, my father was overjoyed to watch the poor bastard swerving on the road. Not sure if the story is over blown, but it makes for a great image.
"God does not play dice with... Yahtzee!" - Little known quote from Einstein

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

nowhereman wrote:I think the most bizarre thing about this comic is that my dad did something similar. As he tells me, he once took a suitcase and shoved a bobcat into it. Then he shook the suitcase thereby pissing the bobcat off (one would think it was already pissed off, but what do I know) then he left it in the middle of the road. Eventually someone stopped his car and decided to grab the suitcase. Apparently he decided to open it not outside, but in his car after he started driving again. Needless to say, my father was overjoyed to watch the poor bastard swerving on the road. Not sure if the story is over blown, but it makes for a great image.

wow, your father is sadistic. Funny how we consider things funny before theres a real-world application.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Kick

Postby Kick » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:57 am UTC

This is another one of my favorite XKCD strips, I just love the simple hilarity. I did laugh (out loud) the first time I read it.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:38 am UTC

In the spirit of this comic, when I received an email to the wrong address (someone with the same name as me who lives in California; I live in Iceland), instead of deleting it, I replied. The person was a flooring installer in California, sending me a draft of an upcoming project.

=================================
Okay, thank you, that looks good . But I'm having my net access disconnected soon so please don't email me anymore - just mail or phone please.

One more thing - and it's somewhat of an odd request, I know. But it's sort of a tradition for me: would you draw a dinosaur on my final bill? I have a collection of bills with dinosaurs on them (long story, don't ask!). If you can't be bothered, don't worry!

Sincerely,
(my name)
----------
"Þetta er vitlaust netfang, einhver hefur greinilega klúðrað" - Egil's Saga

The best part was that a few minutes later, I got a response from him:

"Ok I will I’ll ask my grandson."

I love the thought that somewhere in the Los Angeles area, a couple weeks from now, some random woman is going to get her bill and there's going to inexplicably be a child's drawing of a dinosaur on it. ;)

"Making The World A Weirder Place" ;)

Mental Mouse

Postby Mental Mouse » Mon May 21, 2018 1:18 am UTC

So, I stumbled on to an interesting site: "How Much Is It?"

In the end, if it’s legal and you have the means to raise one, plan on budgeting anywhere from $900 to $2,500 for the bobcat alone.

The $900 end is for a kitten from a breeder. Shipping not included. :D

suso

Postby suso » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:48 am UTC

11 years later, this happens which is close enough:

bear-e1535562092393-696x522.png

[Bear in driveway]

https://www.wwaytv3.com/2018/08/29/package-not-delivered-to-north-carolina-home-due-to-bear-in-driveway/
Imagine theres no signatures....

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”