0327: "Exploits of a Mom"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

speising

Re: 0327: "Exploits of a Mom"

Postby speising » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:08 am UTC

is that really legal in NC? having special characters in licence plates aught to make life for the police a lot more complicated.

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:11 am UTC

chridd wrote:
jgh wrote:Bobby has passed his driving test and registered his first car:

He's about the right age, too. The comic is from October 2007; if he was starting kindergarten then at age 5, he'd now either be 16 or about to turn 16 within the next few months.

If the DMV databases suddenly crash, we'll know Bobby has applied for his license.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:28 am UTC

speising wrote:is that really legal in NC? having special characters in licence plates aught to make life for the police a lot more complicated.

It's legal in a few states. It would completely trip up ANPR over here, but the US isn't so big on automated surveillance.
He/Him/His Image

speising

Postby speising » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:39 am UTC

HES wrote:
speising wrote:is that really legal in NC? having special characters in licence plates aught to make life for the police a lot more complicated.

It's legal in a few states. It would completely trip up ANPR over here, but the US isn't so big on automated surveillance.

even a cop typing it into a computer will have problems. for additional frustration, mix ',´, and `.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:56 am UTC

I'm sure there are stories of people registering Il1!II|l| and the like in a bid to avoid tickets
He/Him/His Image

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:56 am UTC

HES wrote:I'm sure there are stories of people registering Il1!II|l| and the like in a bid to avoid tickets
You mean like https://xkcd.com/1105/?

If I were designing the system, I'd probably consider I's and 1's equivalent, and ignore punctuation (and not allow |); I wouldn't be surprised if they do something similar in real life. In that case, the license plate shown above would actually be ORXX, and it wouldn't matter if they remembered people remembered or entered punctuation correctly.

…and it looks like that's actually what they do, at least regarding punctuation (from here)
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
chridd (on Discord) wrote:
Dummy wrote:Sorry You're Gay Dads
SYG'D
marionic (on Discord) wrote:sleep in grave

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:16 am UTC

These are all reasons why the UK doesn't allow you to just make up a registration. Instead they issue the plates in a strict sequence (currently two letters for location + two digits for the year and half-year + three letters). You can have a "personalised number plate" but it's just one that occurred in the sequence that happens to read like a word or name. You can buy and sell them as long as the car they're registered to is no older than would be implied by the number plate, and the DVLA looks out for desirable sequences in advance and sells them at a premium. (They also look out for undesirable or offensive plates like BO11CKS and skip them). Quite a nice way to tax the rich and frivolous, I suppose.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:27 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:You can have a "personalised number plate" but it's just one that occurred in the sequence that happens to read like a word or name.

And often badly. I do however know a William with a three-letter surname and an early 2011 car, who really hit the jackpot of coincidentally convenient plate formats.

chridd wrote:You mean like https://xkcd.com/1105/?

Should've known it was Randall's doing.
He/Him/His Image

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:30 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:as long as the car they're registered to is no older than would be implied by the number plate

Slip of the keyboard, I assume. No newer than the car.

edit: nope, slip of my eye. I read the above aboutface, it seems. But rather than delete the rest of the info, let it stand anyway as evidence to my foolishness. Plus the extra stuff I added anyway.

A cherished plate of yesteryear¹ can and often will be transfered to a newer vehicle if the vehicle isn't anything like as cherished (sold on to make room for the latest model or or any other available penis-upgrade). But you can't (or couldn't, and assuming you still can't) replace the plate on last-year's (now half-year's) car with this (half-)year plate to try to make it look younger to resell or otherwise fob it off as newer than it is.

Spoiler:
For cars with indeterminate age that need a new plate (e.g. imported vehicles, ex-military stock divested for public reuse, kit-cars, specials and composite vehicles that otherwise fulfill roadworthiness tests but have unknown or mixed year of origin according to the usual dating rules, whatever they might be, and possibly vehicles from which Cherished plates have been sat on but then transferred off of for the owner's newest vehicle) and cannot be given a 'backdated' one may have received the otherwise off-sequence Q-plates (ABC 123 Q and then Q123 ABC). I'm not sure if Q-plates are still issued during the AB12 XYZ scheme of today. Because Q-vehicles are often the result of varying degrees of dodgy (like being recovered stolen vehicles with prior identity(/ies!) being scrubbed off) and/or bodgy (home-made/significantly reconstructed) they tend to be automatically insured for higher premiums to cover them falling apart or otherwise being involved in a further insurance claim of some kind or other.

But there's been some.minor changes to that system over the years, so I'm not entirely sure if I'm not conflating different era's exceptions into one big all-covering explanation that is now mostly wrong!

¹ Say "FAM 11Y", which (with or without a cheeky twerking of the font, a well-placed coloured attachment stud or just some rather persistent dirt or debris²) celebrates your FAMILY name.

² The most egregious effort I ever saw was on the Isle of Man(n), where they took at the time the ABC 123Z and then the later Z123 ABC format, integrating into the UK's system UK with the uniquely regionally defining BC characters being MN (to give XMN-like triplets) and AN (for MAN as the whole triplet!), but without necessarily sticking to the Z=Year Letter. Anyway, B47MAN had two little bits of sticky-back plastic/similar on the (not UK-standard, probably allowed by Manx rules) white-characters-on-black-background (yet modern retroreflective type) numberplate to extend the digits into their even more obvious 1337-ish equivalent letters. (It was also a not inexpensive black car, with tinted windows, as you'd expect.)

jgh

Postby jgh » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:07 pm UTC

Intentially or unintentially making/allowing your car number plate to appear to display a registration sequence different to its actual one has been illegal in the UK for a couple of decades.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:28 pm UTC

jgh wrote:Intentially or unintentially making/allowing your car number plate to appear to display a registration sequence different to its actual one has been illegal in the UK for a couple of decades.

The rule were tightened up with the new format, but you still see a few irregularly-spaced new-style ones (which is specifically prohibited beyond what it was before) as well as the other tricks of the trade.

The other day I saw a plate that I can only describe as tinted. I don't know whether it was just a regular plate that was tint-filmed over (as an after-sale) or the substrate retroreflective yellow (it was a rear plate, I didn't see notice the front one) was manufactured in a customised darker shade. It was clearly (NPI!) less visible at a glance, probably intended to make life difficult for ANPR/visual ID on it. But I hope it just attracted more attention each time it was seen by police officers.

On its own in isolation from other traffic it might well be not so notable (as not so take-notable) but it was perfectly obviously half as 'bright' as it shoupd have been when I saw it, alongside normal-spec plates on a multi-lane filter onto a traffic island

Still, there are those that chance it. Including the plate fabricators, probably, because there's all kinds of regs they need to adhere to for supplyint anything not obviously "HIDDEN" "DRIVEWAY" "AHEAD" for purposes other than adorning a vehicle.

(Which reminds me of the early ANPR attempts. They'd flash up detected registrations to the supervising human operator, to show that the wyatem was working, but intentionally shaved off the first and last characters due to concerns of privacy (outside the internal database/average-speed-check purposes where the whole thibg was used but discarded if there was no need to flag it). They found a huge amount of "ONG VEHICL" asba regiatration, because it was routinely detecting something other than a number plate on lorries. ;))

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”