0339: "Classic"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Blipo

0339: "Classic"

Postby Blipo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:00 am UTC

Alt-text: Someone get that Pachelbel's Canon kid a recording contract, stat.
Link: http://www.xkcd.com/339

=D My dad was playing a song with similar lyrics yesterday.

Edit: What's it called?

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Re: "Classic" Discussion

Postby Geekthras » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:02 am UTC

A long, long time ago....
I can still remember how that music used to make me smile. (And it still does)
But I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance and maybe they'd be happy for a while...
Wait. With a SPOON?!

nteon

Postby nteon » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:03 am UTC

is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8 the cannon guy?

I hadn't seen it before...
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it.

Blipo

Postby Blipo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:03 am UTC

My dad will go on and on about how music used to be about expression, and now it's all crap. He's right, of course, but for some reason I don't care. ..

Shale

Postby Shale » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:03 am UTC

All too true.

tesseract

Postby tesseract » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:03 am UTC

makes you wonder what they will play on the oldies stations in a few decades.... mainstream rap? *irk*

cheezitman2001

Postby cheezitman2001 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:04 am UTC

How do you not know Stairway to Heaven, man? It's a classic.

But as for the comic, I thought it was excellent. I really only listen to music from the 70s, and I've got to agree.

miles01110

Postby miles01110 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:04 am UTC

Classical music is where it's at anyways, yo.

Geekthras

Postby Geekthras » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:04 am UTC

@ OP
Probably Stairway to Heaven.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

ln|mower|+c

Postby ln|mower|+c » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:06 am UTC

We really do need to get it together. C'mon, guys!
signature

Devlar

Postby Devlar » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:06 am UTC

Speaking of that comedian... He's been to William & Mary twice now, most recently on September 8th, I believe. His name is Rob Paravonian, and he truly does hate Pachelbel's Canon in D. The fun part is, that bit is now his most famous - so now he is doomed to discuss it until the end of time! :lol:
Last edited by Devlar on Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Hebi_Aikouka

Postby Hebi_Aikouka » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:07 am UTC

I saw the alt text and had to register just to post this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

Great comic, by the way. I love xkcd ^.=.^

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:11 am UTC

I am strangely at peace with this comic. *satisfied smile*

MikeMcG

Postby MikeMcG » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:12 am UTC

What are you talking about? Personally, I think Umbrella is the greatest song of our time! But, seriously, I think Bomb the Music Industry! puts out some quality, free music that could totally take on Led Zeppelin on a one on one cage match.

marco

Postby marco » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:13 am UTC

Blipo wrote:=D My dad was playing a song with similar lyrics yesterday.

hopefully you are 15 y.o or less...I'm only 22 but you really made me feel old with that.

I know tons of kids that listen to 70's music cause there isn't much nowadays...to actually LISTEN to.
"I wonder if she lets anyone into that island of light"

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:14 am UTC

marco wrote:

hopefully you are 15 y.o or less...I'm only 22 but you really made me feel old with that.

I know tons of kids that listen to 70's music cause there isn't much nowadays...to actually LISTEN to.

I definitely do this. I listen to occasional stuff (like Muse, Radiohead), but most of the great music isn't new (coughcoughQUEENcoughcough).

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:18 am UTC

nyeguy wrote:I definitely do this. I listen to occasional stuff (like Muse, Radiohead), but most of the great music isn't new (coughcoughQUEENcoughcough).

You wouldn't believe how many of the kids these days don't even know who Radiohead is... at least they wouldn't have before they came out with their new album.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:20 am UTC

Hebi_Aikouka wrote:I saw the alt text and had to register just to post this.

I came to post that! How dare you! ;-)

As a (effectively former) cellist, I wholeheartedly endorse the viewpoints expressed in that video.

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:22 am UTC

MikeMcG wrote:What are you talking about? Personally, I think Umbrella is the greatest song of our time! But, seriously, I think Bomb the Music Industry! puts out some quality, free music that could totally take on Led Zeppelin on a one on one cage match.

Ugh... Umbrella makes me want to kill someone. Who thought a good basis for a song would be to take one word and continually repeat it while chopping syllables off it?

On topic... Classic music is infinitely better than what we've put out, and 90% of my playlist dates back to the 80s.
~Kat

Economica

Postby Economica » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:24 am UTC

Randall, you never cease to amaze me.

I'll be listening to Stairway for the next few hours...
Travel well, we'll see you on the other side.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:29 am UTC

I'd like to take this opportunity to say: I don't get it.

I mean, I know it's "Stairway to Heaven", by Led Zeppelin... which hit around the same time the Baby Boomers were in their teens... so... what does that mean? Just "contemporary music sucks"? And WTH does Pachelbel's Cannon have to do with anything? :?

Maybe I'm looking for some deeper meaning that just isn't there. Comes from too many comics about time travel and stuff. ;)

On a possibly-related note, if you do think "contemporary music sucks", you may find the film Before the Music Dies interesting. The web site is: http://www.beforethemusicdies.com/ For a rather neat clip, see How to Create a Sexy Pop Star on YouTube. It's pretty interesting to see just how... manufactured music can be.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

top1214

Postby top1214 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:34 am UTC

Hebi_Aikouka wrote:I saw the alt text and had to register just to post this.

That was hilarious, and that guy should get a recording contract.

I played that song as part of a brass quintet (I was the F-ing horn), and we all loved it. I guess the Tuba player was used to those kind of parts.

offput

Postby offput » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:34 am UTC

I don't know, it's really personal opinion. I mean, I like Stairway to Heaven, but I think that any song from Interpol's first album is better.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:38 am UTC

I thought the "Cannon kid" meant the guy who wrote it,
like get him a contract to write some new classics.
I think our problem is we borrow too much from past generations.
Think iPods.

Anorak

Postby Anorak » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:40 am UTC

top1214 wrote:I was the F-ing horn

Oh! Me too!

And you know, the worst realization is coming into a thread like this to go "But, there's wonderful music out there now!" when you notice that no one has ever heard of those bands. Ah, Marillion!

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:49 am UTC

Unfortunately, I find this to be all to true (and the "same eight chords" mention from the video rings too true, as well). There's not much good new stuff out these days that's widely recognized.

Also, rap as oldies? Congratulations. It's 76 degrees in here and you made me shiver.

earcaraxe

Postby earcaraxe » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:50 am UTC

I agree! Get him a contract! BTW, it's canon not cannon.

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:54 am UTC

Three things:

1. That's an amazing drawing of Jimmy Page.

2. The Pachelbel's Canon kid he's referring to is probably this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8

3. That video is amazing.

Regulus

Postby Regulus » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:58 am UTC

This has to be one of the few xkcd comics which has a premise that I disagree with. There has been good music made every year. Sure, I can name quite a few years in the 80s without a corresponding good song, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It just means I haven't found it yet. If you skip modern music entirely because "there's really nothing good" then you simply haven't done your homework. There are lots of modern bands that are amazing.

And most Tool songs are far better than Stairway.
"Subscribe to your thoughts. Renew your own mind. Discover a world that I couldn't find." -Rudy+Blitz

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:02 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I thought the "Canon kid" meant the guy who wrote it,
You think xkcd meant that Pachelbel should write some more music? Should Émilie du Châtelet invent a few remote controls while we're at it?

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:04 am UTC

Regulus wrote:This has to be one of the few xkcd comics which has a premise that I disagree with. There has been good music made every year. Sure, I can name quite a few years in the 80s without a corresponding good song, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It just means I haven't found it yet. If you skip modern music entirely because "there's really nothing good" then you simply haven't done your homework. There are lots of modern bands that are amazing.

Nobody's arguing that there's nothing good out these days; however, all the wrong bands are getting famous now, while in the 70s and 80s, musicians with actual musical talent gained the notoriety they so richly deserved.

Or maybe our generation's taste just sucks.

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:06 am UTC

*holds a lighter in the air*

tsathoggua

Postby tsathoggua » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:07 am UTC

I thought the "Cannon kid" meant the guy who wrote it,
I think our problem is we borrow too much from past generations.
Think iPods.

Hold on, our problem is we're borrowing too much from past generations but you cite the Canon Rock as an example of the solution? Pachelbel's Canon wasn't even original when Pachebel wrote it! ;) That note progression which you hear everywhere now (the cello part in Pachelbel's Canon for the entire song, as the arrangement I've seen had it -- or maybe it was the bass, I forget) was common in a lot of Baroque music, too. Ever heard the saying that something gets named after the last person to find it?

In any case, the OP should first be ashamed of not recognizing Stairway to Heaven when the lyrics include that verse =P Personally, I don't really like Zeppelin's stuff except for Stairway but that's more personal preference than anything else -- you should still know the Stairway ;)

In my opinion, each genre has its peak era when the music of it is composed and performed the best. Hard rock has already passed that point, in the 60s and 70s; thrash metal hit in in the late 80s/early 90s; etc. Other genres are in their peak right now, like (in my opinion, with bands like Witch hitting the scenes and Electric Wizard still going) doom metal. Yes, I know, you all probably don't know what I'm talking about with my subgenres of metal, but I'm sure you can find other genres that you do know that fit such trends.

So yes, genres that peaked during the age of the Boomers have passed out of the glory days. Hard rock probably won't see a comeback, not for a while. It's nothing to fret about... and if you want to see them come back that bad, pick up a guitar and start practicing =)

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:11 am UTC

BTW, there is some amazing new music out there today. The whole industry has undergone a marketing and distribution revolution, and I think things are still shaking out.

El Capitan

Postby El Capitan » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:14 am UTC

I used to tell my students to check out Led Zeppelin and Velvet Underground before they make shout-outs about how their favorite bands rule.

But noooooo I'm just their Nazi C++ teacher, I don't know nuthin' about music.

egotrippen

Postby egotrippen » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:17 am UTC

the most severe problems with the music industry trace back to the Telecommunications Act of '96, and the amazing consolidation of radio that followed.

The good news is that the current business model can't last. Radiohead releasing their latest album the way they did pretty much sealed it - the old distribution models are obsolete. Plus, the internet has made the underground more accessible than ever. Scout Niblett, Jesu, and Melt-Banana are almost as close as any top 40 band. Music is doing just fine.

Geekthras

Postby Geekthras » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:27 am UTC

Nightwish, for example pwns.

As does Johnathon Coulton.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:34 am UTC

Aviatrix wrote:You think xkcd meant that Pachelbel should write some more music?
Exactly so, but I took it to be a comment that might be made by, for instance, a music industry producer or executive who had no idea who Pachelbel was.

Workaphobia

Postby Workaphobia » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:45 am UTC

I've never been much of a Zeppelin fan (damnit, now I can't stop thinking about the elevator gag), and I always thought stairway was overrated, but damn, it would be nice if that was the typical reaction of this generation of "music" lovers. I myself am only 20, but almost all of the music I like comes from between the 60s and 80s. I suppose it is a bit unfair to compare an arbitrary crappy song from this era to a song that, as a requirement for still being remembered today, has already withstood the test of time, but still...

And the Canon guitar kid (the one linked at gootube who I believe the alt-text refers to, not necessarily Pachelbel himself) is amazing, and certainly chose an excellent piece to perform. Canon is basically the Midas touch of music: look at songs like Blues Traveler's "Hook".

Now, I'm the kind of person who doesn't hear lyrics when I listen to music: it's all about the chord progressions, instruments, and vocal blends, while the words are normally lost on me. I seem to be in the minority overall, but in a community like this I don't know if the proportion changes or not. Anyway, I can usually tell a bad song when I actually notice the lyrics - normally that happens when a chorus line is repeated verbatim too often, or the writer tried too hard to make something rhyme. Example of a good chorus that is repetitive just enough to sound good: Hotel California. Example of bad lyrics: Chicago in the 80s.

By the way, has anyone ever heard of a remix called Usher Foley? It's one of the crappiest recent songs I know (the one where they scream "Yeah" several times too many), set to the tune of Beverly Hills Cop. (I take it back: Canon *and* Beverly Hills Cop are both Midas touch songs.) What's amazing is how bearable the song becomes when there's an actual melody.

Damnit, the Boomers *are* cleaning us away.
Evidently, the key to understanding recursion is to begin by understanding recursion.

The rest is easy.

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:50 am UTC

marco wrote:

I'm only 17 and that made me feel old :\ Really, I only listen to 60's - EARLY 80's, mainly stay out of the 80's really. Oh, and then there's Bach...
(Actually, a LOT of people are surprised when I tell them the music I listen to. Is my generation that bad with their musical taste?)
Potential Rant: I can't have a casual conversation about music with the average teenager any longer, unless I've known them for long enough (because they tend to have my same musical tastes).
[Also, probably Stairway to Heaven? I sense sarcasm :P The last verse is all I actually memorized, and that's pretty much it (minus everything except the first and last lines...)]
I also agree with the above post wholeheartedly. Stairway wasn't Zeppelin's best song, it was "catchy" (Though I am a Zeppelin fan really) and that's all. I'm more of a Floyd fan myself.
To repeat,
Damnit, the Boomers *are* cleaning us away.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”