0345: "1337: Part 5"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Delalyra

Re: "1337: Part 5" Discussion

Postby Delalyra » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC

durnurd wrote:Am I the only person who thinks that the arc was just... good?

http://xkcd.com/198/

I was dissapointed by the conclusion, myself (what happened to the two guys from the beginning?! frames ftw!), but I suppose it would've been hard to top the Stallman cliffhanger of part 4.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Foil

Postby Foil » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:17 pm UTC

My fave line of the series, for obvious reasons (see my avatar & signature):

"You'd make a wonderful dread pirate, Roberts."

:mrgreen:
"You seem a decent fellow - I hate to kill you."
"You seem a decent fellow - I hate to die."

miraidesuka

Postby miraidesuka » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:34 pm UTC

Entire series = Made of distilled win and awesome.

I got totally broadsided by the dread pirate, Roberts pun. Most superb form and perfect execution. 10.0
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.

Tharkad

Postby Tharkad » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:38 pm UTC

miraidesuka wrote:I got totally broadsided by the dread pirate, Roberts pun. Most superb form and perfect execution. 10.0

Double pun.... *groan*

{Never said I didn't appreciate it}

Pyleic

Postby Pyleic » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:41 pm UTC

I loved this. I adored it. An internet for you, good sir. Heck, have /all/ my internets..

The epilogue is especially stuck with me. I've spent the last, oh.. Twelve hours now, trying to find any idea what that IP could be, if it even exists. My last theory was 208.122.19.155-159, which are the first three digits of the XKCD IP, and the comic numbers in hex format reused as decimal numbers. But all I got outta that were a stack of unfinished webservers and an @novabomb.net email. And now that I've just realized how ridiculous I sound, I think I'll go sleep..

theyellowhobbit

Postby theyellowhobbit » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:42 pm UTC

mmcmonster wrote:Why do I have a feeling that we are going to see more about this family? Particularly Little Bobby Tables? I can't believe that the son of the second greatest hacker in the world was so ordinary.

We don't know that. We just know that he's not good with computers and that apparently he can't cook, either. For all we know he could be an expert race-car driver or maybe he can levitate.
aleflamedyud wrote:I think you just made my "Impossible-But-Awesome-O-Meter" blow up.

woktiny

Postby woktiny » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:12 pm UTC

theyellowhobbit wrote:
mmcmonster wrote:Why do I have a feeling that we are going to see more about this family? Particularly Little Bobby Tables? I can't believe that the son of the second greatest hacker in the world was so ordinary.

We don't know that. We just know that he's not good with computers and that apparently he can't cook, either. For all we know he could be an expert race-car driver or maybe he can levitate.

Or he's just significantly younger. "Little Bobby Tables, we call him." Also, it shows him painting in part 2, he could be the male hacker form of Akiane Kramarik, whatever that means.

Leliel

Postby Leliel » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:20 pm UTC

Apparently Mrs. Roberts' ability to code one-handed while baking is a skill she developed later, perhaps at little Bobby Tables' insistence?

Which brings me back to - what happened to the cookies??? Did our intrepid neighborhood wireless scamps make amends with Mrs. Roberts? Did they get any cookies?

Also, anyone else think this arc should have been numbered parts 0 - 4? ;P
Last edited by Leliel on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

miraidesuka

Postby miraidesuka » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:20 pm UTC

Tharkad wrote:
miraidesuka wrote:I got totally broadsided by the dread pirate, Roberts pun. Most superb form and perfect execution. 10.0

Double pun.... *groan*

{Never said I didn't appreciate it}

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week. Try the veal, tip your waitstaff.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.

zeith

Postby zeith » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:38 pm UTC

Can we please stop encouraging Cory Doctorow? Do we really need him thinking that his personal choices of editors, fonts, toothpastes, linens, etc. are at all important in any way? Unless, of course, featuring Cory Doctorow is the webcomic sweeps-week celebrity feature analog, because we know for a fact that he is incapable of not linking to a website that features his name, thus drawing the ~4 readers of boingboing to xkcd. If the latter is the case, I guess I'm okay with that, but just barely.

I mean, seriously, am I the only one that doesn't like this guy? The way I manage to tolerate him is to imagine that he's putting on a very elaborate ruse, to show us all the potential pitfalls of the Web 2.0 world, and also as parody, demonstrating how blagebrity is even less deserving of attention or appreciation than the more traditional actor/musician/athlete form. Alas, I cannot suspend my disbelief long enough to believe that he possesses the sense of nuance that would make his performance, "Doctorow as Narcissus 2.0" as perfect as it has been thus far.

Splurgy

Postby Splurgy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:03 pm UTC

Pants wrote:As usual, I love how Randall injects a sense of the epic into what could be mistaken for the mundane. Sure, those my age missed the excitement and giddy potential that marked the birth and rise of the internet, but it's great to be reminded that in 20 years, there are going to be people wishing they had been here, now, and a part of what's to come.

Hear hear! I always can't help but wonder about how the internet will end up, and I can imagine regailing my grandchildren with tales...
"Yes, and you could hear any music you wanted on Youtube! For FREE!"

prophile

Postby prophile » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:26 pm UTC

An epic xkcd.

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

I really enjoyed the Dread Pirates Roberts reference. :)

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

zeith wrote:Can we please stop encouraging Cory Doctorow? Do we really need him thinking that his personal choices of editors, fonts, toothpastes, linens, etc. are at all important in any way?

If that was the only thing Doctorow did, I would agree. Fortunately, it's not.
He is a huge public supporter of some of the best projects/organizations in digital information freedom like Creative Commons, EFF, Open Rights Group and others. He also releases digital versions of his books for free at the same time as print, so that's pretty swell!

Perhaps his personal favorite brand of toothpaste isn't very pertinent to the world at large, but the message he represents about digital freedoms and copyright reforms is extremely important. Especially with DRM being so young, the battle between proprietary and open information and so many people still being ignorant of how integral to the near future all of that truly is.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Mike Graham

Postby Mike Graham » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:05 pm UTC

Narwhal

Postby Narwhal » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:59 pm UTC

I think we just witnessed something special: xkcd jumped the shark.

I should perhaps elaborate: there is jumping the shark by means of sheer badness, and there's the other case. When some sort of culmination point is reached, but at the same time a seed of, well, decay becomes apparent.

This arc was fan service at its best. But by now we've all learned that this is usually a bad sign for any serialized work of fiction.

edanite

Postby edanite » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:30 pm UTC

stockpot wrote:Epic lead-up to an awful pun. :D

EpeeGnome wrote:Does this story remind anyone else of Isaac Asimov? He wrote quite a few short stories in which the entire complex setting and plot where a lead in for a pun punchline. (Sloan's Teddy anyone?)

I immediately thought of Shah Guido G. (Also Asimov)

Is the fact that the blogosphere 20km up supposed to indicate that it is futuristic or possibly out of touch (as in pie-in-the-sky)?

Kalessin

Postby Kalessin » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:37 pm UTC

A very enjoyable arc.

Except, for those readers who know rms in person... well... the cognitive dissonance is possibly just a bit much. He'd much more likely challenge the RIAA goons to an international-folk-dancing duel, at which he'd TOTALLY kick their asses.

frankoswalt

Postby frankoswalt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:55 pm UTC

Narwhal wrote:I think we just witnessed something special: xkcd jumped the shark. ... This arc was fan service at its best. But by now we've all learned that this is usually a bad sign for any serialized work of fiction.

Much as I understand everyone's excitement about this arc, I absolutely agree with you.

Noam Samuel

Postby Noam Samuel » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

Nmapping xkcd,com shows an H.323 server on port 1720. Maybe we, too, can hear Eilene rocking out.

(Can't get any client to work on my machine, though :-( )

Miike

Postby Miike » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:58 pm UTC

So... who's going to send Stallman his other katana?

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:07 pm UTC

Also, Mrs. Roberts needs to get better at taking a bloody joke. You can't just go around messing with peoples web pages because YOU have no sense of humor! It's a jack asses response. Like a mod.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Not an Evil Robot wrote:
voodooKobra wrote:If only there were a Zeppelin, this would be the best thing to ever happen. And raptors. And motorbikes.

Stallman on a motorbike having a sword fight with a raptor while on top of a Zepplin?

I just came.

I would eat a baby to see that.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:49 pm UTC

Win. Just win. Nothing else to be said.

theyellowhobbit

Postby theyellowhobbit » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:05 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:
zeith wrote:Can we please stop encouraging Cory Doctorow? Do we really need him thinking that his personal choices of editors, fonts, toothpastes, linens, etc. are at all important in any way?

If that was the only thing Doctorow did, I would agree. Fortunately, it's not.
He is a huge public supporter of some of the best projects/organizations in digital information freedom like Creative Commons, EFF, Open Rights Group and others. He also releases digital versions of his books for free at the same time as print, so that's pretty swell!

Perhaps his personal favorite brand of toothpaste isn't very pertinent to the world at large, but the message he represents about digital freedoms and copyright reforms is extremely important. Especially with DRM being so young, the battle between proprietary and open information and so many people still being ignorant of how integral to the near future all of that truly is.

Also, I heard Randall speak once and he mentioned that Cory Doctorow was the one to give him webspace for the initial comic.
aleflamedyud wrote:I think you just made my "Impossible-But-Awesome-O-Meter" blow up.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:18 pm UTC

Cory Doctorow would probably be too annoying to have as a roommate,
but he does ok as an author, activist and superhero.
BoingBoing is the most linked-to blog on the planet, and the frequent links to xkcd are probably what's made it possible for Randall to live on T-shirt sales, as far as building readership int he early days.
Cory's book down and out in the magic kingdom is one of the most important texts of the post-scarcity economy [another is eric raymond's the cathedral and the bazaar.]
It only happens to be disguised as a rollicking science fiction detective story.
It's free online at http://www.craphound.com/down.

thelordfoxy

Postby thelordfoxy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:49 am UTC

that was a really long set-up for a princess bride joke.

pistachoo

Postby pistachoo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:37 am UTC

This delightful comic (though a few of the subtler geek nuances have, I am sure, completely escaped my notice) made me think of the following:

Re: Cory Doctorow, http://theshapeofdays.com/2007/10/14/my ... ation.html (the related links in that post are a fun read too)

Re: The first line under "Who Am I?" in Randal's bio (http://xkcd.com/about/) is also Wil's trademark line on all his bio's, such as at http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbacku ... tory_.html

My brain was tickled.

:wink:

zeith

Postby zeith » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:53 am UTC

TheTankengine wrote:... He is a huge public supporter of some of the best projects/organizations in digital information freedom like Creative Commons, EFF, Open Rights Group and others. He also releases digital versions of his books for free at the same time as print, so that's pretty swell!
Especially with DRM being so young, the battle between proprietary and open information and so many people still being ignorant of how integral to the near future all of that truly is.

How many readers of this site couldn't be described as supporters of CC, EFF, etc.? For his major claim to e-fame to be that he famously endorses things... I'm not so sure I buy that. I mean, it might be factual, it's not that I'm contesting, it's the validity of what it represents that I take issue with. If I start a blog extolling the virtues of water, and just type about water a whole lot, (in this case, water being something that is obviously good much like the EFF and Creative Commons) will I become known as a public supporter of water, and therefore worthy of reference? I hope not.

As for digital versions of his books, you'll get no argument from me. I like free things, as in beer as well as in liberty, as much as the next guy. Whether his books are worth what you'd be charged for otherwise (fanfic is free too) is a topic for another time. As an aside, I'm starting to fear that the boingboings of the world have started to (if not already) ruin(ed) William Gibson's writing, after having read Spook Country.

Regarding DRM, sure, that's an important battle to fight, not to eliminate DRM entirely (which would be folly, in my book) but to educate people about it. To remove DRM from the picture altogether would be a gross infringement upon the rights of the creators of digital media. For better or for worse, what we do the RIAA, we also do to Jimmy in his garage. I'd really like to see the DRM debate brought up as just that, a debate, rather than the flame-and-flack war it's been so far.

Just out of curiosity, let's see what Cory's last five posts on boingboing have been, their substance left to be discerned by the reader:

1. (In descending chronological order) "Droid Sans Mono, a sweet monospace font" The Doc shows us, as claimed, a sweet monospace font, and also mentions the text editor he uses. Sourced from "Joshua's delicious".

2. "Food company's annual report needs to be baked before reading" About a report that uses thermoreactive ink to make illustrations appear when the report is wrapped in foil and put in an oven. Sourced from Kottke.

3. "Last DC power in NYC to shut down" The last DC power station in New York is finally being shut down. Sourced from Kottke.

4. "History of photoshopping from 1860 to present day" Link to a website that has a set of images depicting photomanip throughout the ages. Sourced from Kottke.

5. "Indie film producer thanks pirates for downloading his movie" A forwarded e-mail from a director mentioning that Peer-to-peer and bittorrent distribution of pirated copies of his movies have increased hits on his website, same thanking people for distributing the movie this way. Sourced from Jeff Winkler, but apparently personally, not from his blog/site.

Learned readers may notice trends. Some would say these trends are what make Cory's stuff worth reading, that it's his personality that acts as a filter and allows the cool abundant on the internet to percolate up through to one easy-to-read website. I personally wish that he (and Xeni, and Mark) would just stop posting.

flatluigi

Postby flatluigi » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:04 am UTC

About Cory Doctorow: I get some perspective when I consider that BoingBoing, though popular and widely-read, is still just his blog. It's as self-oriented and as full of the same 'hey-I-saw-this-on-the-internet-it's-cool-look-at-it' stuff as anyone else's.

He's a semi-demi-hemi popular author with a popular blog who supports various forms of open-source/free-speech/whatever. I happen to like some of his stories and I happen to be subscribed to his blog's RSS feed. That's all.

Embryo

Postby Embryo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:10 am UTC

That was a beautifully executed pun, and a fitting conclusion to my favorite xkcd strip ever.

Here's to another 1337 xkcd comics; in quality and in number!

zeith

Postby zeith » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:18 am UTC

arbivark wrote:Cory Doctorow would probably be too annoying to have as a roommate,
but he does ok as an author, activist and superhero.
BoingBoing is the most linked-to blog on the planet, and the frequent links to xkcd are probably what's made it possible for Randall to live on T-shirt sales, as far as building readership int he early days.
Cory's book down and out in the magic kingdom is one of the most important texts of the post-scarcity economy [another is eric raymond's the cathedral and the bazaar.]
It only happens to be disguised as a rollicking science fiction detective story.
It's free online at http://www.craphound.com/down.

First of all, I'd absolutely adore to see some metrics on this. I know I've seen xkcd linked a few times from boingboing (I'll make no bones about my reading it, I sometimes need something to fuel the elitist fire that burns at the core of who I am) and I know (or have assumed strongly) that they've got a large leadership, so it'd make sense that a great number of hits came from those comics that were linked. What I'd like to know is, how many of those hits were converted to repeat visitors, and of those visitors, how many of them visited the store and made a purchase? I suspect, alas, that a sizable number of them were simply technofashionistas, the same sorts of people that buy t-shirts from thinkgeek with clever statements in BASIC or binary (Ha ha, you are dumb! It says that because the website where I bought it says it says that. I'd be thrilled to no end to hear that those shirts actually said "I am dumb" in binary) with shallow comprehension of what they meant, because it's mode today to like geekly things. Don't get me wrong, if it's something that kept this website going, or kept its creator living a little more comfortably, I'm all for it. It's just a shame when creative pursuits are admired for the wrong reasons, like Richard Halley.

Regarding DAOITMK, "one of the most important texts of the post-scarcity economy", did you actually say that? We're attributing importance to genres of speculative fiction, here? Besides, everybody knows that CorDoc wrote a novel writer in AJAX and Ruby, and it writes all of his novels via Web 2.0 Creative Commons Mashups.

zeith

Postby zeith » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:21 am UTC

flatluigi wrote:About Cory Doctorow: I get some perspective when I consider that BoingBoing, though popular and widely-read, is still just his blog. It's as self-oriented and as full of the same 'hey-I-saw-this-on-the-internet-it's-cool-look-at-it' stuff as anyone else's.

He's a semi-demi-hemi popular author with a popular blog who supports various forms of open-source/free-speech/whatever. I happen to like some of his stories and I happen to be subscribed to his blog's RSS feed. That's all.

Your perspective should serve as a model to me. I don't contend that Mr. D. doesn't ever write or link anything interesting, just that there's this disproportionate response to that blog in particular that I'll never understand. Given a number of blogs on similar topics, it was bound to happen that one of them would be the most popular, and that one would not necessarily be the best for or because of it, and we'd all do well to just take it for what it is (what we get out of it) and leave it at that. I, alas, cannot. I'm known around the internet for being famously outspoken against Doctorow and Doctorow-related things.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:16 am UTC

Saturday 12:01 AM, no fresh xkcd. Oh well.

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:03 am UTC

Five is the number of the parts, and the parts shall be five in number.

Okay, I'll go sit in the corner now.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:50 am UTC

zeith wrote:I'm known around the internet for being famously outspoken against Doctorow and Doctorow-related things.
Oh how you made me lol.

Can we please move these discussions to a seperate "I hate Cory Doctorow" thread in General or something?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

LittleMikey

Postby LittleMikey » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:46 am UTC

XKCD is made of love and awesome.

Any questions?

JymmyZ

Postby JymmyZ » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:58 pm UTC

What a great series, thanks! Good enough to make me come in here and say something. This comic just keeps getting better and better.

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:20 pm UTC

I didn't actually get it, as my brain told me it was the Dread Pirate Wesley.
I don't know. I kind of wish it concluded with more... conclusion. Whatever happened to the two guys at the beginning?
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Ari Rahikkala

Postby Ari Rahikkala » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:58 pm UTC

(hello, forum)

Elaine still stalks the net. She joins communities, contributes code or comments and moves on. And if, late at night, you point a streaming audio player at the right IP at the right time -- you can hear her rocking out.

Happy hacking.

I'm fairly certain that this bit is a reference to something, too... but I just can't tell what. Maybe it's some kind of a public domain trope because it seems so familiar...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”