0349: "Success"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

zenten

Re: "Success" Discussion

Postby zenten » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:28 pm UTC

I liked this one. I my wife doesn't usually like xkcd, but I showed her this one and she laughed.

She then went through the last five or so comics, and remembered why she doesn't like xkcd, as she didn't get any of them (how the hell can you not have played breakout?).

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:48 pm UTC

Brilliant. :D This is often the case where I work too - although I'm sure its the same at most places...

Day 1 of project: Yep, we expect to completely satisfy the clients needs and are confident we'll meet the delivery dates.

11.30pm on the night before release to client: Err screw it. That'll have to do. They probably won't notice that that bit doesnt work anyway.

:D

jima

Postby jima » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:52 pm UTC

$_[0] wrote:I love it. Sounds like my adventures of trying to install Fedora on unsupported hardware.

Exactly how unsupported does the hardware have to be to not run Fedora? Pre-i586? Sickly amounts of RAM? I mean, heck, I run Fedora on sparc32, Alpha, a Pentium 150 with 40mb of RAM...no sweat.

Of course, I probably don't fall into the category of "average Linux user." :wink:

Also, this comic illustrates why I don't use BSD. :)

(Italics FTW!)

jima

Postby jima » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:00 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:By the way, everytime I see one of those guys typing, they have their hands beneath the desk. Does he only use the bottom half of the keyboard? That could explain some of the trouble he's having.

I have a couple theories: The top of the desk could have a cutout above the keyboard tray (my sister has one like this; the keyboard tray actually can be at the desktop surface, or lowered), or it's a slide-out tray that the Geek of Misfortune pushed in for a moment (for whatever reason).

I wonder what the other OS might be. I'd look more at that as a root cause for his problems.

Sgeo

Postby Sgeo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:01 pm UTC

This reminds me of the pain I went through after installing Freespire, and I wanted to get back to using Ubuntu. Installed Freespire around the end of 2006, didn't check some checkbox or something, something happened with the MBR or whatever, and I finally got back to Ubuntu April 1, 2007..
I don't even remember what I did to get back :|

bluemonkmn

Postby bluemonkmn » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:01 pm UTC

athelas wrote:
Locus Cosecant wrote:Would have been stronger without the last line.

I disagree. It's the sudden shot of absurdity that makes this strip hilarious.

Not without the whole last frame, mind you, just the last line in the last frame. (I think that's what Locus Cosecant was talking about, and I can kind of agree.)

mmcmonster

Postby mmcmonster » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:10 pm UTC

I can totally relate.

A couple months ago, I had a old hard drive suddenly quit.

No problem. I took the drive out of the computer, mounted it on another computer and started getting stuff of the disk. I was also secure in the fact that I had two recent backups, in case something horribly went wrong.

A few hours later, both computers had hard errors and couldn't boot off the hard drive or CD drives, my original hard disk and both backups were toast, and I was searching for some backups to CD that I had made 6 months earlier.

FYI, while restoring from a backup is really not the best time to experiment with partition table issues on the backup disk.

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:09 pm UTC

short of shark attacks, this mimics the fun I had when I tried linux oh so many years ago for the first time.

Dakman

Postby Dakman » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:10 pm UTC

My favorite part was panel two. I remember my friend trying to install linux for his first time on his own. He called me up and started on about how it messed up his computer and how it sucks, he then proceeded to quote the second panel almost exactly.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:46 pm UTC

pKp wrote:I still have a scar where the sharks got me

"... eleven hundred men went in the water; 316 men come out and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945."
bluemonkmn wrote:Not without the whole last frame, mind you, just the last line in the last frame.

I concur. For me, it killed the momentum a little bit. I think it would have been even more surreal if the girl had remained a silent bystander the whole time. But then, comedy, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

That said, this comic rocked. I can *so* relate to this. Problems generate a "trouble field", like masses generate a gravity field, and attract more problems.

And I know it's a cliché in these forums, but the alt-text was a riot. It reminded me of this explanation of the *BSD's I saw once:

NetBSD: *Of course* it runs NetBSD.
FreeBSD: Screw other architectures, let's make it *scream* on Intel.
OpenBSD: 50 million years without a remote exploit, or whatever.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

Intamin

Postby Intamin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:53 pm UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:
Intamin wrote:Maybe it's b/c it's one at night, but I don't really get the last frame. How do they go from a room to the middle of shark infested waters? And why? :(

That was... That was actually funnier than the comic.

Haha, I try... :)

Metty

Postby Metty » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:20 pm UTC

Locus Cosecant wrote:Would have been stronger without the last line.

I agree. It's just a bit too much.

keithc

Postby keithc » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:21 pm UTC

Wolf wrote:At least I haven't gotten eaten yet.

How do you know?

keithc

Postby keithc » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:26 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:By the way, everytime I see one of those guys typing, they have their hands beneath the desk. Does he only use the bottom half of the keyboard? That could explain some of the trouble he's having.

He's using a keyboard drawer

Radikalskippy

Postby Radikalskippy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:29 pm UTC

My brother had issues dualbooting a PC (Windows-Xubuntu). I can only say in his defense that Windows was most probably the cause of all the troubles.
"Only a fool quotes himself" - Radikalskippy

Terraxos

Postby Terraxos » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:03 pm UTC

This comic is the perfect demonstration of my favourite saying: "There's no real such thing as success, only different degrees of failure."

Brynet

Postby Brynet » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:10 pm UTC

I've been using OpenBSD on all of my workstations for the last 4 years, It's secure.. and it's easy to install & use.

You people should really stop making uninformed assumptions.. :roll:

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:20 pm UTC

keithc wrote:He's using a keyboard drawer

You don't pull out the drawer before you start typing?

jima wrote:

I have a couple theories: The top of the desk could have a cutout above the keyboard tray (my sister has one like this; the keyboard tray actually can be at the desktop surface, or lowered), or it's a slide-out tray that the Geek of Misfortune pushed in for a moment (for whatever reason).

I could go for the first reason, but the second one doesn't seem plausible to me. All XKCD characters typing at a desk have their hands that way. This didn't happen just now, it's the norm.

Chromana

Postby Chromana » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:56 pm UTC

It's a shark attack and not a raptor attack? When that kind of screw up occurs death by raptor is the least that I expect!

RogerX

Postby RogerX » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:00 pm UTC

I can't decide if today's comic is referring to the time I tried to upgrade my laptop from Edgy to Feisty, or the time I decided "Well, Vista's been out a year, maybe I'll give it a try..."

The upgrade from XP to Vista never worked, then clean installs to the drive failed. I put Vista back in the box, put it up on the shelf, reformatted, installed XP, and thought seriously again about trying to get Gutsy Gibbon to work with my Windows games...

...before I remembered my former Ubuntu trials. :)

/Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie -- Every OS Sucks

RogerX

Postby RogerX » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:02 pm UTC

Brynet wrote:I've been using OpenBSD on all of my workstations for the last 4 years, It's secure.. and it's easy to install & use.

You people should really stop making uninformed assumptions.. :roll:

I've been reading BSD comments like this since my first login to Slashdot in 1998.

You people should really get over believing in BSD like a religion... :roll:

/Second only to Mac users.
//OK, maybe third, after Amiga fans.

Edit: PS - I run a BSD-based firewall, which never so much as hiccups. But as a desktop? Nosomuch...

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:09 pm UTC

Heh, reminds me of my adventures trying to dual-boot Ubuntu from the only non-RAID HDD of a system composed almost entirely of RAID 0 arrays. It refused to recognize any of the arrays as arrays, and destroyed my MBR. Fortunately, I was trying to install Ubuntu to a the non-RAID HDD, so no actual data was lost.

I re-installed OpenSUSE, and everything went back to normal.

Why is it that one distro is able to handle the RAID just fine, while the other is totally clueless?!
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:12 pm UTC

This reminds me of when I softmodded my PS2. I somehow managed to take out every device on the network, including the routers and laptop. Had to reboot them all multiple times before they could even see their network devices again. >_O
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:55 pm UTC

a5an0 wrote:1.OS X uses the Darwin kernel, which is based (mostly) on FreeBSD. Then there are parts from NEXT, etc. OpenBSD originally came from NetBSD, but is quite different now, So the answer to #1 is no.

ummm, no.
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_xnu.html

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

armorsmith42

Postby armorsmith42 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:04 pm UTC

This has happened to me, though with a bb gun.

I think John Stewart had a segment about this with resect to Iraq as well.
I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul

6.626068 × 10-34 m^2 kg / s

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

Oddly enough, I've never had many issues dual-booting with Linux (afterwards, when I'm trying to configure it, it often screws up, but not enough to stop the computer from working, and the install itself usually goes fine). Of course, before I did any dual-booting, I had practice with a complete install on a couple old systems, and when I got around to dual-booting on my main comp, I unplugged my Windows boot drive (I think, my memory is blurry), and installed it on a separate hard drive. Also, Ubuntu tends to be user-friendly, and Mandriva didn't seem that difficult.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:49 pm UTC

Chromana wrote:It's a shark attack and not a raptor attack? When that kind of screw up occurs death by raptor is the least that I expect!

What would a raptor be doing in the ocean?

That's what sea-raptors are for
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:52 pm UTC

crazybob wrote:I feel like XKCD comics are written after a brief mind-scan of the readers.

I am one of the readers mind-scanned for today's. Not for BSD in particular, you understand, just in general.

Chainsaw Fencing Champ

Postby Chainsaw Fencing Champ » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:56 pm UTC

Arr... I notice yer eye be fallin' upon me wooden leg, landlubber. Buy me a grog and I''ll tell you a tale of software thatll chill ye to yer very bones...
Last edited by Chainsaw Fencing Champ on Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:31 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Chainsaw Fencing Champ

Postby Chainsaw Fencing Champ » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

Belial wrote:That's what sea-raptors are for

craptors?

The_Fozz

Postby The_Fozz » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:22 pm UTC

reminds me of when I tried to install OSX86 onto my VAIO,

"ok, everything is looking good" *blank screen* WTF?! *search internet for 2 hours*
"ok, if I put this paperclip into these 2 pins in my VGA connector, it won't try to go to a non-existant external monitor"
*OSX86 works for 2 hours*
"now lets try and twerk some things"
*OSX86 immediately breaks*
~The difference between good design and great design is predictable failure.
~Even the coldness of logic and science can exhibit moments of exotherm.
~Geek of all trades, fanatic of none.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:49 pm UTC

I love how round the 0 is in the first panel. It's perfect!

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:41 pm UTC

This same thing happened to me when trying to get my laptop to run wireless internet. It still doesn't. Bitch.

dr7

Postby dr7 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:16 am UTC

RogerX wrote:Edit: PS - I run a BSD-based firewall, which never so much as hiccups. But as a desktop? Nosomuch...

Try PC-BSD. It's a more friendly desktop system than many Linux distros I've seen.

And of course, anything's better than Windows... *hides from crazed Windows raptors, erm, I mean users...*
dr7: king of the wicker people

kkariena

Postby kkariena » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:19 am UTC

That comic = me trying to do *ANYTHING* to or with a computer.
It's a bad night when your dream consists of a Power Ranger team and they have to sing and dance to defeat the bad guy.

"Do not use to pick up gasoline or flamable objects. Do not use to pick up anything burning." - Vacume Cleaner Warning

lysandra

Postby lysandra » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:34 am UTC

Well, I guess I was one of the lucky ones that didn't get eaten!

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:06 am UTC

keithc wrote:

How do you know?

I. . .I'm not sure. *cowers in fear*
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

lysandra

Postby lysandra » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:11 am UTC

Wolf wrote:
keithc wrote:

How do you know?

How are you online? Did you waterproof your laptop and poke an antenna out the side of the shark?

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:17 am UTC

See, one of the major issues with dual booting is that there's no "reference manual" to it. People will follow such and such tutorial (which works great for one particular configuration but not so much in others) which tells them HOW, but not WHY and it'll blow up in their face. They then start from scratch with ANOTHER tutorial, without first cleaning up the mess they left from the last attempt.

But if you UNDERSTAND dual booting (which involves understanding how Grub works, and how the boot process works in fair detail) and have the right tools (Gparted liveCD > *EVERY* OS' inbuilt partitioner >>>Fucking Partition Magic (WHY DO PEOPLE LOVE AND *PURCHASE* PARITION FUCKING MAGIC? IT'S HORRIBLE AT WHAT IT DOES) dual booting is a yawn. I have Vista, XP, Sever 2k3, Ubuntu, OSX86, FBSD, (This space reserved for OpenSolaris when I get the time) and fucking FreeDOS installed on the same laptop. I can reinstall *ANY* one of those without smashing the others. They all have access to each other's partitions, and don't interfere at all. In fact, from within various of those, I can actually boot the other native partitions as a VM. (Windows is real iffy if you load the native partition as a VM, though. Driver issues. It eventually goes, but it takes it's damn sweet time switching over to the VM's drivers, and the next time you boot it back natively, it takes forever to switch over to the native drivers). All of my hardware works on all of them. Everything. Just. Works. This is, in fact, the first system I ever built to dual boot. It is, in fact, the first system I ever built to actually *USE* an OS other than Windows on a daily basis. All because I went on a quest of understanding before I even burned the first CD.

That said, I can relate to and confirm the concepts expressed by this comic.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

nameless
Fooled you; My name is Inigo Montoya

Postby nameless » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:22 am UTC

lysandra wrote:
Wolf wrote:
keithc wrote:

How do you know?

How are you online? Did you waterproof your laptop and poke an antenna out the side of the shark?

How do we know that s/he isn't the shark?
Wayne Weiten wrote:Sexual intercourse is really a pretty simple activity. Most animals execute the act with a minimum of difficulty. However, humans manage to make sexual relations terribly complicated

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”