0206: "Reno Rhymes"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lagren

Re: "Reno Rhymes" Discussion

Postby Lagren » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:09 am UTC

I shot a man in Reno for letting Aeris die.
I shot a man in Reno... What does that imply?
I shot a man in Reno; I couldn't just stand by.

Scorpio3002

Postby Scorpio3002 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:14 am UTC

One time, not too long ago in Reno,
I shot a man, simply to watch him die,
Then wrote in iambic pentameter
About how I was clueless as to why.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:31 am UTC

Scorpio: commendable effort, but although that was pentameter... iambic, it wasn't.

"Iambic pentameter" can never appear in iambic verse.

I shot a man in Reno 'cause his meter didn't fly.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:49 am UTC

I once shot a man in reno, 'cause he clicked on Image
... long after the thread had died.
This topic desperately needs a post from Summer Glau.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is nøt å signåture.™

Mazuku

Re: 0206: "Reno Rhymes"

Postby Mazuku » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:55 am UTC

I once shot a man in Reno, right in the upper thigh.
I once shot a man in Reno, so I could win at jai alai.
I once shot a man in Reno, he didn't feel a thing as he was so high.
I once shot a man in Reno, he was unzipping his fly.
I once shot a man in Reno, if I want to avoid the chair, I better tell a convincing lie.
I once shot a man in Reno, but I don't know why.
I once shot a man in Reno, then stabbed him with a sai.
I once shot a man in Reno, OH MY! OH MY! OH MY!
I once shot a man in Reno, now it's time for you to die.
I once shot a man in Reno, right through his "Catcher in the Rye".
I once shot a man in Reno, his room was a pig-sty.
I once shot a man in Reno, after I told him "Kiss your ass goodbye!"
Allmächtige Exzentrikerin3

Clayh

Re: 0206: "Reno Rhymes"

Postby Clayh » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

....I LIVE In Reno, and these jokes are wetting my eyes.
(I know, I suck at rhyming. But I DO live in Reno.)

Spiny Norman

Reno Rhymes: Offensive / respectless re My Lai?

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

Something I've been meaning to discuss here (that I guess had best be kept separate from its usual thread):
Isn't it going too far to make a joke of My Lai?
I'm not Vietnamese, or even Asian, I just think it's (unintentionally) bad taste for an American to casually mention a US war crime in a joke. It's a gruesome page of history: Hundreds of people massacred by soldiers who were following orders, and only 1 officer was ever convicted and he served a very light sentence. It's in no way different than if a German comedian would say something like "Remember when we shot all those revolting Poles in Warsaw?". Mass murder done in a system of unconditional obedience.

I'm not for driving PC too far. But this is something else than say, The producers which was made by a jew and where the nazi's are the butt of the joke. I think that's an important difference.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

brenok
Needs Directions

Re: Reno Rhymes: Offensive / respectless re My Lai?

Postby brenok » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

I believe that is kind of the point. Black Hat Guy is known for exaggerating in jokes and pranks and being a maniac sociopath. That is the idea of this comic. You could take, as examples 29, 984 or 954.

Not that I'm saying that this is completely okay, but well... this was published six years ago...

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:52 am UTC

brenok wrote:I believe that is kind of the point. Black Hat Guy is known for exaggerating in jokes and pranks and being a maniac sociopath. That is the idea of this comic. You could take, as examples 29, 984 or 954.

Not that I'm saying that this is completely okay, but well... this was published six years ago...

Don't forget 1063 too. Yes, it could be that that's the real reason BHG is in the comic, but now we're guessing.
And in the examples you gave it's clear that the comic's about the evil (of either BHG or hitler). But in Reno Rhymes it's not part of the joke, but just a casual remark.

curtis95112

Postby curtis95112 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:06 am UTC

That's the point. That's why the other stickman refuses to participate further. I think Randall's being pretty clear that such jokes aren't in good taste. The tasteless joke also secures BHG's place as sociopath.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
Роберт wrote:Sure, but at least they hit the intended target that time.

Well, if you shoot enough people, you're bound to get the right one eventually.

Thats the best description of the USA ever.

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:52 am UTC

For those who arrive confused, this thread is in reference to http://xkcd.com/206/.

Having regard to that comic, I agree with Curtis; we're done because our non-black-hatted protagonist has reached his point of critically-offended, but is choosing isolation over violence.

JustDoug

Postby JustDoug » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:34 am UTC

Spiny Norman wrote:I'm not for driving PC too far. But this is something else than say, The producers which was made by a jew and where the nazi's are the butt of the joke. I think that's an important difference.

A series of cleverly humorous, nonsensical, fictional - if very violent - actions called for in an impromptu rhyming game topped off with a reminder that when they happen in reality, they're not so harmless, and when you actually reflect upon what was being rattled off to fill in the blanks of the rhyming scheme... Suddenly it is no longer a fun game.

A good one from Randall, actually. Multiple level.

But to adress your concern: the day we, meaning Humanity, can't occasionally make light of some of the many horrors found in the human condition is the day we lose claim to that humanity and sink into endless and utter despair. Sometimes you have to laugh 'cause any other course of action leads only to madness.

Klear

Postby Klear » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:43 am UTC

Nothing is too offensive to be joked about (as long as you don't do it in front of people who you know will be offended).

BTW, I didn't know of My Lai until I looked it up because of this comic, so it's even educational!

J L

Postby J L » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:05 am UTC

I must admit it's easier to stomach when you don't really relate to it (other than on the most general level). To me, it's a lot different, then, say, "I once killed a Jew in Auschwitz."

Problem with the internet, of course it's quite probable someone in your audience will relate more to it than others, and that someone will be offended.

Still, I agree that the "moral" of the story seems to be "enough is enough, this isn't funny anymore." The title text even seems to call the original premise into question (maybe this wasn't a game to begin with, maybe he did call a man after all).

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:55 am UTC

Spiny Norman wrote:Something I've been meaning to discuss here (that I guess had best be kept separate from its usual thread):
Isn't it going too far to make a joke of My Lai?
I'm not Vietnamese, or even Asian, I just think it's (unintentionally) bad taste for an American to casually mention a US war crime in a joke.

Are you trying to explain the comic to us, or what?

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

curtis95112 wrote:That's the point. That's why the other stickman refuses to participate further. I think Randall's being pretty clear that such jokes aren't in good taste. The tasteless joke also secures BHG's place as sociopath.

The first 5 times I read it, I just thought he was done because there were no more rhymes he could think of so the subject was exhausted, although your explanation is also possible. It's kind of an understatement to reply "I think we're done".

Klear wrote:Nothing is too offensive to be joked about (as long as you don't do it in front of people who you know will be offended).
BTW, I didn't know of My Lai until I looked it up because of this comic, so it's even educational!

That depends of the kind of joke if you ask me. You didn't know it, so you wouldn't be offended. I've sometimes laughed at jokes that I wouldn't like to see in print. But then it wasn't casual.

arthurd006_5 wrote:For those who arrive confused, this thread is in reference to

http://xkcd.com/206/.
Having regard to that comic, I agree with Curtis; we're done because our non-black-hatted protagonist has reached his point of critically-offended, but is choosing isolation over violence.

But why would he resort to violence?

JustDoug wrote:But to adress your concern: the day we, meaning Humanity, can't occasionally make light of some of the many horrors found in the human condition is the day we lose claim to that humanity and sink into endless and utter despair. Sometimes you have to laugh 'cause any other course of action leads only to madness.

You mean it's therapeutical? That could be true for La vita e bella, or, again, The producers, but I'm not sure that can be an excuse every time. This reference seemed quite casual to me.
Unless it's the other explanation (that brenok and curtis suggested earlier), I don't object to that because that puts a different light on the whole thing.

FourTael

Postby FourTael » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:13 am UTC

Spiny Norman wrote:
curtis95112 wrote:That's the point. That's why the other stickman refuses to participate further. I think Randall's being pretty clear that such jokes aren't in good taste. The tasteless joke also secures BHG's place as sociopath.

The first 5 times I read it, I just thought he was done because there were no more rhymes he could think of so the subject was exhausted, although your explanation is also possible. It's kind of an understatement to reply "I think we're done".

This is what people say. Seriously. That statement is used to tell a person that they've gone too far. I don't know if you're a native English speaker or not, but if you are, you should know this. If not, take it from one.

I find the implications of this thread rather interesting. Six times they talk about cold blooded and pointless murder in a light-hearted manner. The seventh goes too far because it talks about a series of famous murders. I can tell you right now that there have been more cold blooded and pointless murders in Reno than during the My Lai massacre, so why is it okay to joke about them, and not okay to joke about My Lai?

Poohblah

Postby Poohblah » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:43 am UTC

FourTael wrote:I can tell you right now that there have been more cold blooded and pointless murders in Reno than during the My Lai massacre, so why is it okay to joke about them, and not okay to joke about My Lai?

I think you've missed part of the point of the comic.

"I once shot a man in Reno just to watch him die" is a reference to a famous Johnny Cash song, "Folsom Prison Blues". That's what kicks off the rhyming game.

But even ignoring the reference to the Johnny Cash song, I think that an indefinite, fictional murder (shooting a man in Reno) and a definite, historical mass-murder, rape, and pillage motivated possibly by racism (the massacre in My Lai) lie far apart on the spectrum of sensitive topics. As such, it's very disrespectful to the victims of My Lai, their friends, family, and the people of Vietnam to joke about that crime - especially if you are an American, since the perpetrators of the crime were American soldiers. On the other hand, if you joke about a vague, indefinite, fictional crime, who are you disrespecting? (I won't say much more, as jokes about fictional crimes can indeed be disrespectful, especially when they reveal underlying prejudices and discriminatory beliefs, so I could be opening a whole new can of worms here.)

I think that the My Lai reference in this comic is not entirely in good taste. But, the last statement of this comic ("I think we're done here") reveals awareness of this fact. So... who can say for sure. It's definitely a subjective case. If you are offended by this comic, you should probably speak up.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”