0207: "What xkcd Means"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

i do the planning conversations in my head and going over them afterwards, especially if it's with girls i'm interested in or other 'important' conversations... i also find myself saying what i'm typing on msn quite a lot, saying 'hey' under my breath, 'how are you doing?' etc... i'm not exactly sure why, but my homemade theory is that i'm testing how it sounds to see if it would be acceptable in normal conversation or something.
slow down, you move too fast

Blayze

Postby Blayze » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:11 pm UTC

It means playing games of Solitare without moving cards to the suit stacks, seeing if you can get all of the cards into four complete stacks in the main play area, in order to increase the challenge for yourself.

It means installing a different OS onto every hard drive you own, for use with the same computer, and not running out of hard drives first.

It means only using your top front teeth to gnaw away at an apple, seeing how much of a hole you can make in it before you have to resort to biting to get any further.

It means memorising the exact sequence of where you need to fire and when to achieve a perfect ratio of shots/hits/kills on a Time Crisis game.

It means playing DDR while standing on your hands.
Crease resistant.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

Blayze wrote:It means installing a different OS onto every hard drive you own, for use with the same computer, and not running out of hard drives first.

Running out of hard drives before what? If you run out of, say, SATA connectors, and you have a board with lots of them, then you sure have a lot of hard drives.

If you run out of operating systems, well... you're probably not looking hard enough. Well, unless you're of the school that there are only two operating systems that matter (the two operating systems being VMS and Unix; some dude from Microsoft always says that).
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Your.Master

Postby Your.Master » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:20 pm UTC

Pseudonym wrote:Additionally, I'm a bit crazy about symmetry; for example, if I scratch one arm it annoys me to no end if I don't scratch the other on the exact same spot, in the exact same way. Anyone else do that?

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one fucked up like this. I wonder what horrible disease we all share?

EDIT: Also, I always try to do things in multiples of five.

I do that, but sometimes I can get away with doing asymmetric things if there is a higher symmetry to what I am doing in some abstract way involving -- you guessed it -- multiples of 5.

Oh another crazy thing I do: when I'm bored, I'll imagine I'm talking to people and make up all the scenarios that are the most likely, so when I encounter them, it's simpler.

That's a personal habit I encourage in myself, even when I'm not bored. In fact, I get really antsy if I don't do this for a while in a day. I have the impression that everybody does this to some extent, unlike the floor tile thing.

I have the narrator in my head, but when I'm really into what I'm reading he goes away; he's only there when I'm forcing myself to read. Or sometimes when I read forum posts and try to imagine the emotion in the voice so I can respond appropriately in the absence of smilies.

Regarding thinking in words vs. pictures: when I'm framing a conversation or argument, or doing math/physics problems, or figuring out a complicated section of computer codes, I think in words. I can force myself to think in pictures when need-be, and I often do that when reading. Normally, though, I think in "concepts", which don't really attach to words or pictures in a straightforward manner (but somehow seems to me more similar to words).

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:11 pm UTC

i also find myself saying what i'm typing on msn quite a lot, saying 'hey' under my breath, 'how are you doing?' etc... i'm not exactly sure why, but my homemade theory is that i'm testing how it sounds to see if it would be acceptable in normal conversation or something.

After reading that I skipped over all the other 'new' posts because I had to say that I do that all the time to. In fact I have to make a conscious decision to keep my internal dialogue internal whenever typing at a computer. Just a weird quirk. I think for me it's mostly so I don't forget type anything, I have the tendancy to think faster than I can type so saying it outloud helps me not miss any words.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

yazdi

Postby yazdi » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:19 pm UTC

Your.Master wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:Additionally, I'm a bit crazy about symmetry; for example, if I scratch one arm it annoys me to no end if I don't scratch the other on the exact same spot, in the exact same way. Anyone else do that?

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one fucked up like this. I wonder what horrible disease we all share?

EDIT: Also, I always try to do things in multiples of five.

I do that, but sometimes I can get away with doing asymmetric things if there is a higher symmetry to what I am doing in some abstract way involving -- you guessed it -- multiples of 5.
I do the symmetry thing too, but it's mostly concerning how things are stacked. Often my bet while playing poker depends on how many chips I have to get rid of/win to get nice symmectric stacks. I can only get away not doing that, when the height of the stacks plots something, e.g. a recognizable function.

nes

Postby nes » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:32 am UTC

Your.Master wrote:Normally, though, I think in "concepts", which don't really attach to words or pictures in a straightforward manner (but somehow seems to me more similar to words).

I get what you mean, and that might actually be a more accurate description of how I think than labeling it as "words." Thanks! :D

Arkohn

Postby Arkohn » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:05 am UTC

Yes, I do all of these!

flatluigi

Postby flatluigi » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:04 am UTC

Is it wrong for me to want to take a picture of the tiles at my school so I can show the rest of you my pattern?

nefernika

Postby nefernika » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:12 am UTC

Is everyone on this forum a man? Because I do that pocket thing, only with my various purses--any time I acquire a new bag, I immediately assign pockets/sections to wallet, phone, sunglasses, chapstick, and book. But I don't know any women who put that many things in their pockets. Heck, sometimes we're lucky if our pants HAVE pockets. when I do, I usually limit myself to: hanky, right back pocket; chapstick, right front.

Also, for josh & others who feel the same, hi! I'm danika!

Kin

Postby Kin » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:18 am UTC

My preference is the chess knight's piece movement when possible. Always an old habit too. Even when pacing in circles.

Benevolent Lion

Postby Benevolent Lion » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:32 am UTC

HI DANIKA!

Anyways, I have the narrator voice too, but it's more for documents and etc. I myself use various voices for reading things like books. Especially with Shakespeare. Speaking of which, I was raised in the era of the cartoon Gargoyle's, now that I'm reading Macbeth. The only Macbeth I can picture is the one from Gargoyle's. Today I actually pictured David Bowie as Macbeth because I was listening to... David Bowie.
Oohhh, Sexy girlfriend!

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:29 am UTC

yazdi wrote: and I hate not being able to take two stairs at once, especially if it's the last ones, so I always try to remember where I need a single step at the beginning of the staircase, and where not.

<.<

Heh, you too? I had the stairs leading to my room on the 4th floor memorized the very first day I moved in! The steps are arranged in such a way that there's 3 sections of steps for each flight and I have to remember to start with a single step for the first two sections of each floor. Funny I should read about this today, because I was feeling really sick and out of it this morning, so I accidentally screwed up and it was driving me crazy all day how I didn't get to take 2 steps at last flight of stairs...

Although I can't really say I do much else. I don't have that many wacky ticks and habits. I kinda do the tile thing everybody does, only it usually has nothing to do with the layout of the tiles and more with just taking them in steps consisting of a certain number of tiles. Depends on my mood, I just do what feels the least awkward.

As for pockets... yeah I guess. I always put my keys in the back left if they're not hooked onto my bracelet. If I'm carrying something like chapstick, always front left. ID card is always front right. If I'm carrying my wallet, back right. Cell phone, front left. Change, front right.

Okay I might as well stretch this as far as I can go. I go crazy if I can't extend my legs all the way while sitting. I need to crack my ankles constantly, habitually.

I feel so awkward when I don't have anything covering my wrists and forearms. I wear two watches, 2 bracelets, and sometimes I have other things handy. It's like my hands feel TOO LIGHT without anything on my arms. I feel like they aren't there and it feels scary.

I periodically get this feeling in my neck that feels like a very SLIGHT tingly building of tension. Not like some sort of stress thing and not like some sort of nerve thing where my neck is "falling asleep", much more subtle. It feels like a winding spring, or more like something is crawling, or being squeezed through the inside of my neck from where my spine meets my skull to between my shoulders. When it happens I have to crack my neck by tensing up and rotating it backwards to the right. It makes me feel really good, unless my neck doesn't pop. Then that same feeling is dreadful and won't go away until I do pop my neck.

I narrate math problems to myself.

I CAN'T STAND MESSY FINGERS! Everything else is okay <.<

I chew phantom bubble gum when I'm nervous and don't have any real bubble gum.

I'm sure a lot of you have things you have to do in order to concentrate seriously. I usually hold writing impliments in my mouth or spin my favorite bracelet with the other hand.

And what about during conversations? Are there things you do while talking besides just stand there? I feel awkward if I don't have my arms crossed over my chest or one hand holding up the other as it fiddles with my earrings.
Last edited by Aoeniac on Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:57 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

arecanut0

Postby arecanut0 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:32 am UTC

Wow, I've done 4 as far back as I could remember, and probably since my toddler days. It's one of my personal quirks or something. And all this time, I thought I was obsessive and had secret psychological issues or something. I'm surprised I'm not close to being the only one here.

I also had this other thing where I have to use my left part and my right equally. If I take a step with my left foot, I -have- to take a step with my right. If my right hand gets poked by a sharp object, sometimes I'd pinch my left.

1 is totally something my dad will do (and he most likely has).
"To me, love is a game... like Starcraft." -on some Korean drama/soap

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:41 am UTC

arecanut0 wrote:I also had this other thing where I have to use my left part and my right equally. If I take a step with my left foot, I -have- to take a step with my right. If my right hand gets poked by a sharp object, sometimes I'd pinch my left.

I did the same thing, and still do sometimes.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:17 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:And whenever I'm reading or writing something, I hear it in my head. Apparently, it makes the language flow better and sound more musical. I sincerely doubt it when it comes to my writing, though. :P

Oh, so I've always wondered. When you personally hear things, do you visualize it or does it go straight to words? Whenever I think or hear anything, I think in words and not pictures. Just wondering what you guys do.

Sorry for the tangent. I get distracted easily. :(

Wow! I do something weirdly similar I guess - I hear music I've been listening to in my head. GY!BE ftw!

well, we all hear things in our heads - that is called the ears. But there is no external source for the music when I do this. Also the music always rocks!
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Mat

Postby Mat » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:02 pm UTC

nes wrote:
Oh another crazy thing I do: when I'm bored, I'll imagine I'm talking to people and make up all the scenarios that are the most likely, so when I encounter them, it's simpler.

Oooh, yeah, I do those imaginary scenarios too, though they never actually happen.
me too. And sometimes I imagine totally ridiculous situations and how I'd react and get really angry or upset over something that didn't actually happen..

and people don't hear music in their head?

aldimond wrote:*Backs away from the sane people.*

Sane people!?! Where!?
:shock:

Yorgan

Postby Yorgan » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:21 pm UTC

I routinely do 2,and 4 (although for me its more an outside of my house thing, e.g. footpaths. I've been known to go back and forth in knight's moves for long periods at a time on the platform tiles when waiting for a train.)

As far 1 goes, well I don't drive, but I do similar stuff in analguous situations not involving road traffic. 3, I've never done, but I have had - well to be fair, initiated - quite long discussions, on more than one occasion, about both Graham's number and Ackerman's function with friends. Not both at the same time though. Well, until I read this comic that is.

I guess nerds really do tend to have a disturbing amount in common.

digitrev

Postby digitrev » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

I'm so happy to realize that I'm not insane in doing 1, 2, and 4.
Together we will make the octopus nervous.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:39 pm UTC

You know, I'm pretty sure the only thing keeping me from doing #2 is the fact that I am one of the 3 people left without a cell phone.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

jlintern

Postby jlintern » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:49 pm UTC

1, 2, and 4.

When reading novels, I look for clauses (separated by commas, periods, parentheses, hyphens, etc) that have a number of words that is a multiple of 5. Contractions can be counted as 1 or 2, whichever helps to reach that magical number of 5 or 10.

For example, that last clause, "whichever helps to reach that magical number of 5 or 10", has 11 words. So close.

But I think I only do this for novels. Never on the computer or while reading textbooks.

Blayze

Postby Blayze » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:54 pm UTC

Tractor wrote:You know, I'm pretty sure the only thing keeping me from doing #2 is the fact that I am one of the 3 people left without a cell phone.

And I'm the second of us three, and my granddad is the third.
Crease resistant.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:53 pm UTC

Blayze wrote:
Tractor wrote:You know, I'm pretty sure the only thing keeping me from doing #2 is the fact that I am one of the 3 people left without a cell phone.

I hate to have to tell you this, but your granddad is dead, son.

I'm the third.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Postby warriorness » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:38 am UTC

Mat wrote:
nes wrote:

Oooh, yeah, I do those imaginary scenarios too, though they never actually happen.
me too. And sometimes I imagine totally ridiculous situations and how I'd react and get really angry or upset over something that didn't actually happen..

I do this too, except my situations are in no way likely, and usually involve some superhuman feat. For example, in my most recent fantasy, I am crossing the street when an out-of-control car flies through the intersection at me. I jump to avoid hitting it head on, and end up going through the windshield and landing on the driver's lap, who I then discover had a heart attack because his brakes went out. After a quick bit of emergency braking and CPR, I'm hailed as a hero and I ask anybody to call an ambulance because I've got shards of glass in me.

Your.Master

Postby Your.Master » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:40 am UTC

jlintern wrote:1, 2, and 4.

When reading novels, I look for clauses (separated by commas, periods, parentheses, hyphens, etc) that have a number of words that is a multiple of 5. Contractions can be counted as 1 or 2, whichever helps to reach that magical number of 5 or 10.

I make up rules for words so that some simple, first order linear integer function f(c,v), where c are consonants and v are vowels within a sentence, comes to a multiple of 5. I have to really avoid doing this, or I am forever counting instead of reading.

yazdi wrote:
Your.Master wrote:SNIP
I do the symmetry thing too, but it's mostly concerning how things are stacked. Often my bet while playing poker depends on how many chips I have to get rid of/win to get nice symmectric stacks. I can only get away not doing that, when the height of the stacks plots something, e.g. a recognizable function.

Everybody in my family does this one, bar none.

Blayze

Postby Blayze » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

aldimond wrote:
Blayze wrote:

I hate to have to tell you this, but your granddad is dead, son.

I'm the third.

Oh, wow. Got myself a zombie granddad, cause he's sitting in the same room as me right now. :D
Crease resistant.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:17 pm UTC

BRAAAAAAAAIIIIINS!

SodiumNitride

Postby SodiumNitride » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:08 am UTC

i done #4 alot, and the symmetry thing too. for some reason, whenever i'm walking in a crowded hallway, i alway find myself trying to make it pass throught that section as fast as possible dodging people from every direction and try not to hit anyone or get stopped behind some person who just happened to move in my way, ususally i would do this to lose my friend who is walking with me

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:02 am UTC

Tractor wrote:
thefiddler wrote: My thinking in words is why I am able to say terribly disgusting things without being bothered by them. And then everybody around me freaks out. It's awesome. :)

I'm a terrible person, aren't I...

heh, I do the same thing. Filling other's minds with horrible images is always a good time. Especially if you know exactly how to swing it to most disturb them.

Lacking a cellular phone and having clothing with small pockets have kept two of the first few statements from applying to me... I don't play DDR or do some of the other things in one of the first posts on this page but EVERYTHING ELSE applies here. It's almost scary.

And about what I've quoted specifically: I refer to such statements as "muteKi-isms" or as "aaroneous statements" (a pun on my REAL name).

Oh, and lately I've been coming up with exaggerated ways to refer to songs with bad sound quality (like a MIDI put onto a record played on an AM radio placed inside a flushing toilet in a tin can, over the phone).

pyg

Postby pyg » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:19 am UTC

walking on only the red tiles at a grocery store

difficulty: to the beat of the music playing there.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:51 pm UTC

pyg wrote:walking on only the red tiles at a grocery store

difficulty: to the beat of the music playing there.

Wow, both at once? Nice. One usually distracts me too much from the other to keep me doing both at once. :P

However doing stuff to the beat of the music is some times the only thing that keeps me sane soemtimes. If it weren't for the DJs at the banquet hall I worked at during college, I would've quit or shot up a wedding party.
9 x 6 = 42

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:07 pm UTC

Tractor, nothing to do with this topic I'm afraid (awaits evil glares, or worse) but I so recognise your avatar...from some skiing game I used to play when I was younger, I used to try and get eaten by the monster/robot....What game was it?!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Air Gear

Postby Air Gear » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:40 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:Tractor, nothing to do with this topic I'm afraid (awaits evil glares, or worse) but I so recognise your avatar...from some skiing game I used to play when I was younger, I used to try and get eaten by the monster/robot....What game was it?!

I'll jump in for this one...SkiFree.

Grincement

Postby Grincement » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:41 pm UTC

Ah yes :D
That was a weird game...but highly addictive!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:Ah yes :D
That was a weird game...but highly addictive!

Yeah, haven't played in years now, I should try to find it. I bet there's a flash version on the web somwehere. I used to try to walk up the hill...if you got far enough, you'd run into the abominable snowman from the other way. He'd still kill you though. :P

I would have used my trogdor avatar, but I can't find it :(

And a (poor) effort to keep things on track:
xkcd means outwitting the abominable snowman in skifree.

Also: While I spelled 'abominable' right the first time, I still had to look it up, because it just always looks wrong.
9 x 6 = 42

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 pm UTC

AND THE TROGDOR COMES IN THE NIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Also, skifree is pretty cool. Not as cool as Chip's Challenge though.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Grincement

Postby Grincement » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:06 pm UTC

I never met the abominable snowman! *increases search to find game*

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:07 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:I never met the abominable snowman! *increases search to find game*

Give me your email address and I can send you the game, because I have it.

Also, this is post 333.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:13 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:I never met the abominable snowman! *increases search to find game*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkiFree
http://ski.ihoc.net/ ("official" page)
http://www.geocities.com/tranzion/downl ... ifree.html

Google == my friend.
9 x 6 = 42

Grincement

Postby Grincement » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:14 pm UTC

Downloaded and just got eaten :D
I'm home *wipes tear from eye*

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”