0141: "Parody Week: Achewood"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Shoofle

0141: "Parody Week: Achewood"

Postby Shoofle » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:07 am UTC

Thus begins parody week! Celebrations all around!

I don't know about Achewood. It's pretty good every time I read it, but I can never muster up the same amount of enthusiasm as I can over other comics.

Shii

Postby Shii » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:27 am UTC

This is a painfully accurate parody.

rockintom

Postby rockintom » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:54 am UTC

I have never read Achewood, so i will just say this:

Wtf?

Penguin

Postby Penguin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:59 am UTC

Yeah, I have to second that one... I totally don't get it. Is all the humor in the parody, or is it actually supposed to be funny on its own merit?

Because dude, Randy, this is like the first xkcd comic that I don't like at all.
<3!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:41 am UTC

The humour is in the parody, that is why it is funny. Just read some Achewood and you will realise the amusement in poking fun at it. The mouseover text explains the parody pretty well though.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:43 am UTC

Yeah, if this strip has any flaws it's that it's really not funny if you don't know Achewood....

As someone who *does*, though, this was quite amusing.

xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby xkcd » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:32 am UTC

Yeah, I have to second that one... I totally don't get it. Is all the humor in the parody, or is it actually supposed to be funny on its own merit?

Because dude, Randy, this is like the first xkcd comic that I don't like at all.

Yeah the fun here is mostly writing dialogue for Chris Onstad's ridiculously fun characters in their respective styles. He's the best writer in this business. If you don't know Achewood, that's naturally all lost.

Also, Allison, 140 comics without managing to upset you? Man, I clearly haven't been experimenting enough.

xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby xkcd » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:25 am UTC

By the way, the line "sprung fully formed from the head of Sweet Sweetback" is one of my favorites I've ever written, but it's two mildly obscure cultural references in one, so for the benefit of those who don't appreciate it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athena#Birth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Sweetback's_Baadasssss_Song

Penguin

Postby Penguin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:48 pm UTC

By and large, if you think it's funny, then I tend to too. What a strange coincidence! :)

I'm mostly sad that there's no humor there unless you know the source of the parody. But oh well. Parodies are a hit-or-miss thing anyway. Maybe tomorrow.
<3!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:50 pm UTC

Parody humour is always based around knowing the source of pardoy. If it was standalone funny, then there'd be no need for a parody.

Also, you are getting five comics this week. That is a level of awesomeness akin to finding a pack of eight hotdog buns.

xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby xkcd » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:04 pm UTC

Well, I mean, the fun thing here is writing in Onstad's style about the things he writes about, and maybe taking it a little further -- the 11 beat panels, the contest, Beef's speech style. If you don't read Achewood, I wouldn't expect you to enjoy any of that.

I compressed it into a week 'cause I didn't want the people who don't read other comics to get too bored with material they don't have context for.

Monar

Postby Monar » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:18 pm UTC

Despite the heavy parodying I found it good in its own merit. I liked the "subtlety is your middle name" line. Are you going to do PBF? I find that strip follows a general pattern sometimes.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:36 pm UTC

I personally believe Friday should be reserved for a parody of xkcd.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:43 pm UTC

[quote]By the way, the line "sprung fully formed from the head of Sweet Sweetback" is one of my favorites I've ever written,[/quote]

Oh come now. That wasn't the part you giggled about over and over and over again.

It was totally the "Yes" sign.

ramblinjd

Re: 0141: "Parody Week: Achewood"

Postby ramblinjd » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:56 pm UTC

I don't know Achewood, but I know I like bumping long forgotten threads.

Cheers to a decade ago!

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:57 pm UTC

ramblinjd wrote:I don't know Achewood, but I know I like bumping long forgotten threads.

Cheers to a decade ago!

Having registered a mere year ago, it is weird to see Randall's posts. To me, his forum profile is like a mythical creature you can never see, but may find its footprints in the most ancient parts of the forest forum.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:33 pm UTC

ramblinjd wrote:I don't know Achewood, but I know I like bumping long forgotten thread!

And adding nothing to discuss? That's a good way to get your posting rights removed.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”