0366: "Your Mom"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

droptone

Re: Discussion about Your Mom

Postby droptone » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

pointfivenine wrote:Wow, Just wow.
I've been saying "THATS WHAT SHE SAID" to everything now.

... maybe I should stop.

A friend came to my apartment and constantly replied with "that's what she said" until my roommate and I turned the tables and fired that reply at all of his statements until we had him rolling on the couch with laughter while in tears. I think this solution is sort of like sweating out a cold (and yes, I know this doesn't work).

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

StillAlive wrote:Has anyone else found that 'your mum' (sorry, I'm British) jokes are less laugh-worthy when you have been introduced to th victim's mum?

This is particularly noticable when the 'mum' joke refers to you having sexual relations with said mother. Somehow it only really works when the mum in question is some abstract parent whose honour can by sullied at will without any embarassment or shame to the attacker.

If you want an even more abstract metajoke, try developing a skill with this http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=soz number 4. (and rate it up!)

It also works when she's a MILF.

Kiirani

Postby Kiirani » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

Robin S wrote:
Tychomonger wrote:[seinfeld]Hellooooooo![/seinfeld]
Now, that would be interesting to shout out during sex.

Ha, my boyfriend and I actually have an agreement going not to mention the game during sex. Because that's totally relevant to this discussion.

el sjaako

Postby el sjaako » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

zenten wrote:
StillAlive wrote:Has anyone else found that 'your mum' (sorry, I'm British) jokes are less laugh-worthy when you have been introduced to th victim's mum?

This is particularly noticable when the 'mum' joke refers to you having sexual relations with said mother. Somehow it only really works when the mum in question is some abstract parent whose honour can by sullied at will without any embarassment or shame to the attacker.

It also works when she's a MILF.

That's what SHE said

Or when she's not. In short, I disagree with StillAlive, it's still funny. Maybe that's because I have no sense of honour.

On the topic of your mom jokes: This. NSFW, Dutch, mp3. I'm not really sure why I'm posting this, but it may entertain the sickminded amongst us. (Please note that the person that pays for the hosting does not actually know of the existance of this file).

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

Kiirani wrote:Ha, my boyfriend and I actually have an agreement going not to mention the game during sex. Because that's totally relevant to this discussion.
Damn it, I just lost twenty dollars and my self respect!
That's what she said!
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Kiirani

Postby Kiirani » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

Vandole wrote:
Kiirani wrote:Ha, my boyfriend and I actually have an agreement going not to mention the game during sex. Because that's totally relevant to this discussion.
Damn it, I just lost twenty dollars and my self respect!
That's what she said!

Yes it is. And then it's what he said :/

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

I didn't care for the comic or alt-text, but this thread title makes it.

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

Hey! You keep my mom outta this, and I'll keep *this* outta your mom.

Point Given

Re: Your Mom discussion

Postby Point Given » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

Rcraft wrote:Oh god... this is amazing.

That's what she said

HedgehogsAreFunneh

Postby HedgehogsAreFunneh » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

Just once, I'd like to see someone crack a "your mom" joke and have a nearby woman turn around and backhand slap/punch out/swear at & tell off them. Or all three.

Just once.
I was thinking of either meditating or napping, but the way I do it, there's not much difference except in the explanation to the rest of my family.

"If anyone finds the plot of this book, tell it I love it very much and want it to come home."

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

Actually, I find the opposite to be true. In fact, one time I went so far as to make a "your mom" joke to one of my friends in front of his mom. Yeah, I'm an asshole.... :roll:

Although I do have one friend who's exempt from "your mom" jokes. His mom is so ridiculously awesome (what can I say? She makes her son's friends cookies) that I just can't bring myself to say anything bad about her.

Eising

Postby Eising » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

I don't get it? Are people getting tired of "your mom" jokes?
This comic catches the essence of why Your Mom jokes are so funny.

CopaceticOpus

Postby CopaceticOpus » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

The trouble with "that's what she said" is that it gets used way too much. People try using it once just to see what everyone is on about, but then they find themselves going back to it all the time. Even though it's old and uninspired, it stays popular just because it's so easy. It seems to be contagious in nature.

The same applies to your mom.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:Oh GOD! Does anyone remember the EPIC "That's what she said" joke I got on that kid in Amberlee's kitchen on New Years Eve? It was a little cheap I think, regarding trying open a chapagne bottle. I think it was something like "this thing is so small, I can't get it off." Zero, Noug, Wombat?
My best would have to be when my dad looked at the kitchen table that was, for once, not covered in junk. "It's so big! I can't believe it!" :mrgreen:
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Orp

Postby Orp » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

This is a great example of how substituting into the accusative or predicate can be more affective than into the nominative. Utilizing the homophone of "become" redirects the audiences attention to what was the linking verb (which are usually glossed over), almost forcing them to reread the sentence to catch the new meaning.

"You turn every conversation into a "your mom" joke and it becomes your mom."

Additionally, this substitution manages to imply that your mom is attractive and therefore sexually desirable.

UserGoogol

Postby UserGoogol » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

HedgehogsAreFunneh wrote:Just once, I'd like to see someone crack a "your mom" joke and have a nearby woman turn around and backhand slap/punch out/swear at & tell off them. Or all three.

Just once.

And then, after being beaten up and yelled at, I would say... "That's what she said."

gormster

Postby gormster » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

gulnare wrote:
gormster wrote:Maybe you should apologise for not capitalising Aussie. It's short for Australian, after all.

naaaaaaa mate, we're all casual 'bout that kinda thing here in ostraylia hey.
:D

Man if there is one thing to being Aussie it is thinking knowing that Australia is the best damn thing in the world and maybe you should show some got damn respect

or, not. i'm not really motivated enough to take any further action.

EDIT: k that bit in bold was supposed to be in italics, but for some reason they don't work. maybe there's a bug in phpbb that means you can't have strikethrough and italics in the same post?
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

probablyandy

Postby probablyandy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:58 am UTC

This comic was timely since I was just recently annoying my wife with the "That's what she said". (After all, that is what she said...)

Here's another great meta-joke that my friends and I from college use frequently:

"... ... --er"
"-- 'er? I hardly even know her!"

Classic example:
"They built a huge super collider."
"Super collide 'er? I hardly even know her!"

or
"You're in grave danger!"
"Dang 'er? I hardly even know her!"

and the inevitable:
"Pass the salt"
"Salt... 'er? I hardly even know her!"

Enjoy!

ohnoesmilk

Postby ohnoesmilk » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:04 am UTC

Liked the comic.

I appreciate a good mom joke every now and then, but those one liners can be too much.

Once had a guy who sat next to me in Chem and he said your mom jokes literally at least 20 times in about a half hour! "Your mom's chemistry, your mom's a mol, your mom's a proton, your mom's an electron."

:|
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?

therocket

Postby therocket » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:32 am UTC

When in conversation with a few people, with at least one female, I like to turn to one of the non-females after the female has talked, tap them on the shoulder and say, "that's what she said."

CntrlAltWhat?

Postby CntrlAltWhat? » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:03 am UTC

I find "so is your face" works equally as well.

vaderdudenator

Postby vaderdudenator » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:06 am UTC

bigstrat2003 wrote:

Actually, I find the opposite to be true. In fact, one time I went so far as to make a "your mom" joke to one of my friends in front of his mom. Yeah, I'm an asshole.... :roll:

I went so far as to make a "your mom..." joke to my brother in the car with my mom and dad. halarity briefly ensued but then things turned for the worse. funny in retrospect though.

i also have a habit of telling people who make jokes like these that she's not milf-worthy at all. brings the humor to a screeching halt. but i still laugh...
phlip wrote:Maybe we could test what happens when a grilled cheese sandwich and a bacon sandwich collide at a significant fraction of the speed of light...

I'm predicting deliciousness. And mess. Delicious mess.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:25 am UTC

I used to do that to my brother all the time. "Yeah? Well your MOM... oh wait". :P
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Workaphobia

Postby Workaphobia » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:39 am UTC

That was awesome. This comic made my existence. (Your MOM made my existence!)

I'm going to need a printout of this. I was holding off on plastering my door with xkcd, but this is the straw that broke the camel's back. (Broke your MOM's camel!) Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this is the climax of all xkcd-based mom jokes; a shame for sure.
Evidently, the key to understanding recursion is to begin by understanding recursion.

The rest is easy.

Yayuhz

Postby Yayuhz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:38 am UTC

At a mate's party we were all talking shit and one of my friends made a joke to another about how hairy he is. In response, he said "your mum doesn't seem to mind it". The first guy, being faux-offended, said "I'mma fuck you up" to which the second guy replied "that's what she said".

It was so perfect it seemed like it was set up.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:46 am UTC

I once knew a kid who would literally turn everything anyone said into a bad 'your mom' joke. Once, after I responded with a mildly witty retort, he said, "I can't think of a good comeback. You think of one for me." Although it was the epitome of laziness, it was effectively the most amusing bad comeback he ever made.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:54 am UTC

The best 'that's what she said' moment ever:

In reference to knocking on the door, my friend said, "usually I just bang really hard until somebody eventually comes!" Needless to say, I couldn't resist yelling TWSS.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Pawn

Postby Pawn » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:48 am UTC

I really wish I had the Carebearstare power every single time someone does this to me. I don't mind actual 'your mom' jokes that work, but unlike a particular girl who I had the very unfortunate experience of having to be confined into a small bus-sized space with...

Sample scenario #1:
Student: You know what I hate?
Girl: Your mom! (high pitched giggle)
Students: -groan-

Sample scenario #2:
(general silence)
Girl: Your mom!
Me: Oh, come on!

Well, the second scenario is a tad censored.

Madasi

Postby Madasi » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:33 am UTC

Pawn wrote:I don't mind actual 'your mom' jokes that work, but unlike a particular girl who I had the very unfortunate experience of having to be confined into a small bus-sized space with...

Sample scenario #1:

I must disagree with you. These are my favorite kind. I find that using 'your mom' in a situation where it actually fits, pretty much kills the joke for me.

Granted, 95% of the time, the 'your mom' jokes are between my wife and myself, so the mom in question is either my mother-in-law or my mom. My wife will also frequently give 'your mom' responses to our kids, then realize what she just said.

Also,
1:What do you want to eat for dinner?
2:Your mom!

Ari

Postby Ari » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:55 am UTC

kraemate wrote:Am i the only one who doesnt understand these 'your mom' jokes??

That's what she said.

CatProximity wrote:I said it so often it was completely rediculous.

Kinda like spelling ridiculous with an E. :)

Madasi wrote:Granted, 95% of the time, the 'your mom' jokes are between my wife and myself, so the mom in question is either my mother-in-law or my mom. My wife will also frequently give 'your mom' responses to our kids, then realize what she just said.

OK, that last bit is hilariously cool. :)
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."

visel

Postby visel » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:23 pm UTC

Madasi wrote:Also,

That's what she said!

Me and my friends were using that A LOT yesterday.... it's scary how xkcd can relate to my life sometimes... I haven't used "your mom" in a while but I think I'll start picking it up again... THANKS XKCD!!

Melkarion

Postby Melkarion » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

ohnoesmilk wrote:Once had a guy who sat next to me in Chem and he said your mom jokes literally at least 20 times in about a half hour! "Your mom's chemistry, your mom's a mol, your mom's a proton, your mom's an electron."
:|

I knew someone like this in high school. He had it really badly, to the point of *joining* conversations, delivering said line, and leaving. Constantly.

At one point, he did this just as myself and another lens-wearer were engaging in the near-inevitable struggle for dominance. (If you wear glasses, or have at some point, you know that whoever has the worst vision wins a subtle sort of cachet. It's best if you can establish this by *actually* exchanging frames, but quoting diopters will do for the contact set.) This led to the following:

Me: ... yeah, I'm pretty much blind without my glasses. Not literally, but...
Guy: Your MOM'S blind.
Me: ::Look of shock, anger, and repressed tears. Really good fake repressed tears:: Actually... she IS. ::glares::
Followed by about 15 seconds of horrified, pale-faced silence.
Guy:: (stammering) Dude... like, really? Man... I...
Me: (Conversationally) No, not really. I just wanted to mess with you.

It was a fine moment.
"... for a man to understand what he himself says is one thing, and to understand himself in what is said is something else." -Soren K.

An ironic motto of sorts:
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit. -W. Somerset Maugham.

tradiuz

Postby tradiuz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

http://www.explosm.net/comics/53/

More Cyanide and Happiness mom jokes.

There are some real gems from them....
All My Mushrooms wrote:I'm practicing abstinence until someone offers me sex.

genewitch

Postby genewitch » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

Madasi wrote:
Pawn wrote:I don't mind actual 'your mom' jokes that work, but unlike a particular girl who I had the very unfortunate experience of having to be confined into a small bus-sized space with...

Sample scenario #1:

I must disagree with you. These are my favorite kind. I find that using 'your mom' in a situation where it actually fits, pretty much kills the joke for me.

Granted, 95% of the time, the 'your mom' jokes are between my wife and myself, so the mom in question is either my mother-in-law or my mom. My wife will also frequently give 'your mom' responses to our kids, then realize what she just said.

Also,

Oh me yarm EPIC WIN. I'd been grinning at the comic and the thread, but this comment was the one that had me laugh, get up, go explain it to my roommate, and then laugh again. hehe.

also:
I did a comment on a thread here somewhere re: "i got your X right here" series of jokes. I've never been a big fan of 'your mom' mostly cause mine died a while back. but one of my best friends always says "your mother" or "the mother"... then his mom died recently, and about 5 days after he told me... the BEST POSSIBLE SCENARIO for a "YOUR MOM" comeback came up... and i used it. and he went "but... oh i guess i did it to you all those years. haha"

win.
...C is for people who would rather sit at home and match up pairs of socks by the count of their elastic bands, than to just get dressed with mismatched shoes and take the lady out to dinner and nail her in the car on the way home -xkcd_n00bz
MyMusic

spiderqueen

Postby spiderqueen » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

CopaceticOpus wrote:The trouble with "that's what she said" is that it gets used way too much. People try using it once just to see what everyone is on about, but then they find themselves going back to it all the time. Even though it's old and uninspired, it stays popular just because it's so easy. It seems to be contagious in nature.

The same applies to your mom.

*standing ovation*

pinkgothic

Postby pinkgothic » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

Melkarion wrote:Me: ... yeah, I'm pretty much blind without my glasses. Not literally, but...
Guy: Your MOM'S blind.
Me: ::Look of shock, anger, and repressed tears. Really good fake repressed tears:: Actually... she IS. ::glares::
Followed by about 15 seconds of horrified, pale-faced silence.
Guy:: (stammering) Dude... like, really? Man... I...
Me: (Conversationally) No, not really. I just wanted to mess with you.

*needs a moment to compose herself again, having keeled over laughing*
... haha, that's utter genius! So cruel. *makes note to use it with a vengeance*
Stuff: own scribblings; favourite mewsic: luxuria & @440; underrated game

theyellowhobbit

Postby theyellowhobbit » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:05 am UTC

When I saw this comic, I squeed, because it is so me. I actually had to spend the summer repressing all "your mom" jokes because I was on an archaeological dig with people would wouldn't have appreciated "your mom" jokes, and then I was teaching knitting and crocheting to young children, and it would not have been professional in that setting to use your mom jokes.

Fast forward to September, where after months of repressing "your mom" jokes, I finally had a house mate who I could get into "your mom"-offs with. Unfortunately all good examples have fled my brain (this might be due to the fact that I haven't eaten substantial food in 22 hours. Your mom kept me up until 4am, and I didn't wake up until 2:30PM and didn't have access to food until now) but I'll post again when I can remember something amusing.
aleflamedyud wrote:I think you just made my "Impossible-But-Awesome-O-Meter" blow up.

SneakyMongo

Postby SneakyMongo » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:35 am UTC

1st Prof- Professor, I wonder if we may begin by discussing the ways in which this period saw the beginning of social disintegration.

2nd Prof- Indeed. The collapse of the extended family meant that for literaly thousands of women the only way of supporting themselves was to turn to prositution. There are several accounts of this, but perhaps the most harrowing is "My Life As A Prositute". A first person account by a women who being very ugly, and suffering from scroffula, could not charge very much for her services, and so was compelled, alas, to perform all sorts of degrading sexual acts with over 100,000 men.

1st Prof- Well, it sounds like a very important source text, this uhh.."My Life As A Prositute" I wonder is there a mont edition of the publication?

2nd Prof- Ahm, yes. It's um...Videnfelt & Nickleson, 2nd edition, price 27 pounds and 99 pences. That's umm..."My Life As a Prositute" by........ your mum

Best....setup....ever
Oh no, we're caught in the cross-fire
Wait, the werewolves have machine guns?
-Spoony Experiment

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:40 am UTC

gormster wrote:
gulnare wrote:

Unless you've actually slept with the mum (I'm an aussie, no apologies).

Then it's just hilarious.

Maybe you should apologise for not capitalising Aussie. It's short for Australian, after all.

Maybe I should capitalize Your Mom.
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

ponzerelli

Postby ponzerelli » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:52 am UTC

i've decided to refrain from using "your mom" jokes for awhile, the last time i used it did not work out so well. i always insulted this guy in my class, and tended to use "you mom" jokes alot on him, but then a couple months back his mom had a heart attack and died and I was nice to him for awhile. A couple weeks later though, he walked in on a conversation between another friend of mine and I where we had been using "your mom" jokes continuously, so I answered him with "Your mom likes NASCAR (he had just asked us something about it) :P.... :shock: ....dude....I'm so sorry..."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”