0368: "Bass"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

McMillian

Re: "Bass" discussion

Postby McMillian » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

I laughed SO FREAKING HARD at this comic. I really lost it at "SHIRLEY SHIRLEY BO BIRLEY BANANA FANNA FO FIRLEY"

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:02 am UTC

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just build an EMP gun to fry the stereo system.
Sandals wrote:I try to do what I can to combat the bass brigade, although the only speakers I have are the standard ones that come with the car. But during the summer I do tend to drive around with my window down and music playing as loudly as I can. The reason that this does not make me as bad as them is that the music I play are the classics, such as The Beatles, Frank Sinatra etc.

I think it gives good Karma... :lol:
I've always wanted to do this with techno and NES soundtracks. :P

ekzrated wrote:I offer anyone a ride anytime to prove that not all "bumpers" are bad.
I'm not convinced. Maybe you need to give me a ride to a friend's place to change my mind. It's only about 3800km. :mrgreen:
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Firnagzen

Postby Firnagzen » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:45 am UTC

I've been lurking around these forums for a little while, and I'm finally moved to reply.

WHAT A FANTASTIC CONCEPT!

With that over... I think that it's quite possible to implement. The 'heart' of something like that's probably 2 PLL ICs. One the phase shift, and one to eliminate delays (Yea, it's possible. The chip basically phase shifts everything forward a tiny bit based on feedback.) I'm not sure about the fidelity of the sound or what'll actually happen, though. But it's possible.

Funnily enough, as I type this, my neighbours are in fact playing some song really loudly. Hmm.

EDIT: Is it just me, or is that a really big speaker? Like 1m in diameter?
Life may suck, but there's nothing else to do.

LtBrenton

Postby LtBrenton » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:48 am UTC

I can honestly say that speaker is probably big enough to blow anybody within a 200m radius of it into inkblots.

And you're all missing out on the best retaliation song....

# We're no strangers to loooooove....

atrain

Postby atrain » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

I've seen a few people mention that the phase shift would only dampen the noise coming from the car...
Wouldn't a phase-shift just cause destructive interference, and not resonance?

He never specifies the degree of change that the wave has gone through. This is actually necessary to account for the distance covered by the wave. Depending on how far away they were, the sound returned without adjusting phase may be completely off the aim.

Eg: If the car was at the ideal distance away, then they would hear the noise 1/4 of a wavelength away, if then sent it back instantly, that puts it at 180 degrees, dampening it. So, they would have to delay all outgoing noises by 180 degrees before sending it out, so that it is 90+180+90 = 360 degrees, and so it is the same phase as the original.

It varies on the distance of the car, so they would probably need some kind of distance meter + calculator attached to the system to get the proper phase.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

Hmm...

Original video, in case anyone's interested. It's by Shirley Ellis.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Zoey

Postby Zoey » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

Hi, I've always wanted to something like this.
My ideas so far;

1. Under road EMP device.
Carefully tunnel under the road, or perhaps enter the storm drains, and install an EMP device in this location. Rather than trying to use sound waves to blow the offending systems, use an invisible silent EMP. (Electro Magnetic Pulse.) The goal would be to use a strong enough pulse to damage the electronics of the car, but not strong enough to damage your own devices.

2. Directional broadcast overpowering signal emitter.
In this solution you would send a high power radio frequency blast strong enough to overload the front end of the offender's system. Basically instead of an EMP, you would use a radio frequency blast that would be powerful enough to blow away the "front end" amplification stage in the radio. This is a very real possibility.

There are patents for protective circuits, but you can bet that most systems don't have them;

I googled this; overloading the front end of a radio

And found a link on the top referencing this kind of info it describes exactly the circumstance we would desire to create.
US Patent 6400934 - Method for radio receiver input off-channel and on-channel overload protection

Funny similar related story about front end amps in systems;

In the past I worked at a job where they had an FCC radio emissions test rig for a high power radar array. Some of the engineers would point this radar array out over South Boston before they went home every day. If they detected Kband radar signals, they would "ping" the area with a strong enough radar pulse to blow the fuse in the radar guns of the police. Then they would wait 15 minutes for the officers to replace the fuse with the one they carried, and ping it again. Then they would drive home at ungodly rates of speed.

-Zoey

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

Robin S wrote:Hmm...

Original video, in case anyone's interested. It's by Shirley Ellis.

Dang, I thought you meant an original video of a speaker being blown out by phase shiftings.

:(
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:33 am UTC

Zoey wrote:1. Under road EMP device.
Carefully tunnel under the road, or perhaps enter the storm drains, and install an EMP device in this location. Rather than trying to use sound waves to blow the offending systems, use an invisible silent EMP. (Electro Magnetic Pulse.) The goal would be to use a strong enough pulse to damage the electronics of the car, but not strong enough to damage your own devices.

IIRC, the Germans tried to develop something for similar purposes in WWII. The only difference was they wanted to interfere with the ignition system rather than the radio... IIRC, the last prototype they developed only worked at 30 ft...
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.

Zoey

Postby Zoey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

30 ft eh? That sounds perfect. Put it under the road, create a mechanical activation system so it wouldn't destroy itself, and no more excessive badly tuned bass in my neighborhood! Yay!

-Zoey

Elennaro

Postby Elennaro » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:05 am UTC

EMP sounds like a bad idea to me. Wouldn't it endanger the car's driver, by knocking out all electronic systems?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Zoey wrote:no more excessive badly tuned bass

Wait, you mean there's such a thing as goodly tuned bass that is somehow desirable ?

wst

Re: 0368: "Bass"

Postby wst » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:07 pm UTC

Someone just needs to hook this up into that big ol' speaker
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”