0375: "Pod Bay Doors"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rrwoods

Re: "Pod Bay Doors" Discussion

Postby rrwoods » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

jimmydont wrote:This is really going to cut into my Guitar Hero and online poker time...

Only by about four hours. But it will be the best four hours you ever spend playing video games, I guarantee it. I also guarantee that those four hours will be consecutive.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

jimmydont

Postby jimmydont » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:
jimmydont wrote:This is really going to cut into my Guitar Hero and online poker time...

Only by about four hours. But it will be the best four hours you ever spend playing video games, I guarantee it. I also guarantee that those four hours will be consecutive.

4 hours if I just get Portal. But the Orange box set looks so much more cost effective that I might have to play half life too.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

jimmydont wrote:
rrwoods wrote:

4 hours if I just get Portal. But the Orange box set looks so much more cost effective that I might have to play half life too.

I agree. The Half-Life 2 story, I think, is really good from what I've played so far.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:

That's four hours to beat the basic game (and yeah, they're all in a row, like four 60-minute ducklings). However, you still have the advanced stages, least portals, least steps, and least time for the last six puzzles. I have four of the six advanced (had to google one of them, two of them I'm convinced I don't have the portal aiming skills to complete), and two podiums but no wins on the least portals (not counting the one they gave away in the developer's commentary). I have probably another 10 hours in the advanced modes (I'm pretty slow :)), not counting playing it with the commentary and playing once through again just to get "camera shy" and to hear the end credits again (yeah, they're on youtube, but not in 42 inches of 1080i hi-fi goodness).

Also, since I first completed Portal I played the Half-Life games. Portal is a lot easier if you've seen these games before. :)
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Flex Flint

Postby Flex Flint » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Two of my favorite sites intertwined, this is a beautiful day. The man that stood on the bridge agrees.
Now, people, shake hands!

Skod

Postby Skod » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:07 pm UTC

taser8 wrote:Actually (dork mode on) according to further info revealed in 2010, it wasn't so much self-preservation as a creative way of fulfilling his programming: he had been created to process information without distortion or concealment, yet had been instructed to conceal the existence of the monolith; his solution was to kill all the astronauts so that he would not have to distort or conceal anything. (dork mode off).

epic failz. 2010, 1061, 3001, and even the 2001 novel are not considered canon with the original 2001: A Space Odyssey film (which, despite what anybody tries to tell you, the book was based upon, not the other way around)...(actually, if you really want to get technical, HAL's portion of the film was loosely based on Clarke's short story "The Sentinel"). If you want my opinion on the matter, Clarke's stories have no sense of subtlety and rather squirt their concepts all over your face, in contrast with the film, who's subtlety forces you to think and creates a story extremely logical and elegant.

And yes, I did register just to post that.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:34 am UTC

Skod wrote:
taser8 wrote:Actually (dork mode on) according to further info revealed in 2010, it wasn't so much self-preservation as a creative way of fulfilling his programming: he had been created to process information without distortion or concealment, yet had been instructed to conceal the existence of the monolith; his solution was to kill all the astronauts so that he would not have to distort or conceal anything. (dork mode off).

epic failz. 2010, 1061, 3001, and even the 2001 novel are not considered canon with the original 2001: A Space Odyssey film (which, despite what anybody tries to tell you, the book was based upon, not the other way around)...(actually, if you really want to get technical, HAL's portion of the film was loosely based on Clarke's short story "The Sentinel"). If you want my opinion on the matter, Clarke's stories have no sense of subtlety and rather squirt their concepts all over your face, in contrast with the film, who's subtlety forces you to think and creates a story extremely logical and elegant.

I liked the books better.

(Though the books didn't have the awesome soundtrack that the movie did. Also Sprach Zarathustra for the win.)
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

Vanishing Hitchhiker

Postby Vanishing Hitchhiker » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:38 am UTC

yjester wrote:What if it was Eddie, Heart of Gold's computer? "Hey fella, good luck, but we have science to do!"

Yeah, let's bring in Eddie. He even has his own song to sing! "At the end of the storm is a golden sky..." :mrgreen: And now I have to go put together a playlist (or as the oldschoolers call it, a mix tape) of the vocal stylings of slightly mentally unbalanced computers (though Eddie is mostly harmless). I hope you're all happy.

The best whackjob theory I've read about GLaDOS is that she sees herself as Chell's mother - she's proud that her "daughter" has succeeded, but at the same time has a hard time letting go.

Also, a few weeks ago while playing World of Warcraft, I spotted a player named Glados in General Chat. I made a cake reference and they responded appropriately, confirming their name's origin. However, I later discovered that the Glados in question was a male paladin, not a female mage as would have actually made sense. :x What a waste. Oh well, at least there's a priest named Fenchurch in a guild called <Galactic Hitchhikers>. So my server's geek cred is preserved. For now.

And it seems I have nothing to say about HAL at the moment. Oh well.

Antimatter Spork wrote:(Though the books didn't have the awesome soundtrack that the movie did. Also Sprach Zarathustra for the win.)

I preferred that song in "Being There".
could it be that she was the sister of the boy in Kansas who loved the girl with the tattered shawl who was the daughter of the maid who had escaped from the pirates?

coldfeet

Postby coldfeet » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:43 am UTC

Wait..... There are people who haven't seen 2001?

Oh, yeah,.... teenagers.*

Seriously, try to read the book first, I think there is stuff in the film which just doesn't make sense 'less you've read the book first. But if you can't wait that long, rent, buy, download, steal whatever, the movie.

* alright, I realize the age range is much higher, (sigh) gettin' old sucks....

P.S. Randal, I think Valve now owes you a S***load of money. I, for one, am now impelled to go buy Portal.

Your.Master

Postby Your.Master » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:22 am UTC

I have trouble not seeing this as a conversation between a sperm and an egg.

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:51 am UTC

Although I have unfortunately never seen 2001 (being a teenager owes to that) but to make up for it, I took the liberty of installing not only the HAL9000 screensaver and desktop, but also changing my Windows sounds to HAL quotes.

I feel nerdy...

Ezbez

Postby Ezbez » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:59 am UTC

I'm sorry. I had to:

Now if someone with more art skills than I can make this better. I mean, who better than two slightly psychopathic super computers to lead us into this new year?

Edit: Click on it to enlarge.

schrodingersduck

Postby schrodingersduck » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:30 am UTC

Ezbez wrote:I'm sorry. I had to:

Now if someone with more art skills than I can make this better. I mean, who better than two slightly psychopathic super computers to lead us into this new year?

Edit: Click on it to enlarge.

How's this?

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:31 pm UTC

Ezbez wrote:I'm sorry. I had to:

I mean, who better than two slightly psychopathic super computers to lead us into this new year?

Will it affect my mortgage?
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

jonassimple

Postby jonassimple » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:09 pm UTC

When I mentioned that GLaDOS wanted Chell to survive... I didnt imply she was concerned for the human's health. I believe GLaDOS main concern (either because too effective AI or superb programming) was to prove that the hand held portal device could be released.

When you program you want to test your code exhaustively before release, if it segfaults then, well... you got precious info... (though if computers were human they would most likely suffer a great deal of pain).

That sort of logic and resolution is desirable for any leader!

HAL + GLaDOS 2008.

exploto

Postby exploto » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:
I think the argument for Eddie being their offspring is pretty strong, too, since he's so childish. I'm not sure where HHGG fits in the timeline, though. Would infinite improbability cover a computer program older than its parents?

Hello? The world hasn't been destroyed by the Vogons yet? Therefor Eddy hasn't been born yet? Hmmm, makes you think tho.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

LegosDrgn wrote:I have but one thing to say...

Rule 34?

Oh me yarm Oh that really should have been the alt-text ROFL.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

SirOmega wrote:HAL + GlaDOS?

Imagine what the kids will look like...

Also, I liked the books better.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Kredal

Re: \"Pod Bay Doors\" Discussion

Postby Kredal » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

I\'m having a few bumper stickers made with your Hal/GLaDOS \'08 design, schrodingersduck. If you want one for free, send me your snailmail address. I\'ll mail it as soon as I get them. (: my email addy is kredal at gmail dot com.

_sandswipe_

Postby _sandswipe_ » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:13 am UTC

I found a site with all the quotes from GlaDOS (I'm not sure how I'm supposed to capitalize the name . . . ) for those who haven't played portal.
Massive spoilers ahead:

http://soundboard.com/sb/gameboysp13.aspx

Spoiler:

Remember when the platform was sliding into the firepit and I said "Goodbye," and you were like, "NO WAY," and then I was all, "We pretended we were going to murder you."

That was great.
♪ BOOP-A DOOP-A DOOP! ♪

schrodingersduck

Re: \"Pod Bay Doors\" Discussion

Postby schrodingersduck » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:21 am UTC

Kredal wrote:I\'m having a few bumper stickers made with your Hal/GLaDOS \'08 design, schrodingersduck. If you want one for free, send me your snailmail address. I\'ll mail it as soon as I get them. (: my email addy is kredal at gmail dot com.

That's OK - I live in the UK so shipping would cost a fair bit (assuming you live in the US), and I don't have a car anyway. I'd love to see some photos of them when they're done, though!

Ezbez

Postby Ezbez » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:10 am UTC

schrodingersduck wrote:How's this?

Excellent! Glad someone could make that idea into what it was meant to be. :D

shmack92

Postby shmack92 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:42 am UTC

AbalidothAscendant wrote:Best xkcd ever, by a good margin.
Then again, that could just be because I'm a huge GLaDOS fanboy.
Yes, you heard that right. Fanboy.

GLaDOS is my hero

I has cake now

skilaatara

Postby skilaatara » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:01 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:OH GOD A WAVE OF CROSSOVER FAN FICTION! WE SHOULD HAVE NEVER TAMPERED WITH THE IMAGINATIONS OF FANFICTION WRITERS! RUN!! RUUUUALSKFJL;SDKFJASDL;FKDSJF.

Oh, forget fanfic writers. As soon as someone (anyone, plz?) can help me with making Kino/Cinelerra function properly, I'm vidding this sucker.

muteKi wrote:I actually think that such a song (Still Alive, Daisy Daisy mashup) would sound pretty cool, but you'd probably have to slow down Daisy Daisy a bit to 4/4 time to do so.

*HAS NEXT MUSICAL PROJECT EPIPHANY*

...So I'll need you to get on that, stat.

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

That one's great. But I hoped until the end that it's SHODAN. But GlaDOS is okay, too.
Geek code:
GCS/M/S d-(--) s+: a--- C++(+++)>$ ULC++(+++) P+ L++(+++)>++++ !E W+++ N++ o K+ w>--- !O !M-- !V PS+(++) PE- Y+(++) PGP+++ t+ 5+++ !X R+ tv- b++ DI++ D+ G++ e->++++ h>+ r-- y--

GiantSnowman

Postby GiantSnowman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:31 pm UTC

jonassimple wrote:When I mentioned that GLaDOS wanted Chell to survive... I didnt imply she was concerned for the human's health. I believe GLaDOS main concern (either because too effective AI or superb programming) was to prove that the hand held portal device could be released.

I had the feeling the gun wasn't the thing being developed. It was you. Remember all the hiding places with counts on the wall? That's where all your previous versions added a mark to count another clone/android got to that point.

jonassimple wrote:When you program you want to test your code exhaustively before release, if it segfaults then, well... you got precious info... (though if computers were human they would most likely suffer a great deal of pain).

That sort of logic and resolution is desirable for any leader!

HAL + GLaDOS 2008.

Cesium

Postby Cesium » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:57 am UTC

Dunno whether anyone else has done this; alternate version. Yes, I made an account just to post these. And they really kind of suck. But I had some festival xmls left over from when I translated Still Alive into FoodTongue... anyway.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:08 am UTC

What's FoodTongue? All Google tells me about is actual food.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Cesium

Postby Cesium » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:22 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:What's FoodTongue? All Google tells me about is actual food.

First result.

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:16 am UTC

While we're on the subject, more robot crossovers:

HAL and EVA?

"Open the pod bay doors, Hal."
"Unable to comply."

Or, during one of GLaDOS's disparaging rants, my favorite CABAL line:

"Inferior tactics detected (laughs)"

This one works for either:

"[Dave/Chell], [Dave/Chell], are you dead yet?" (HK-50)

Or, perhaps,

"[Mocking Statement] I'm sorry, meatbag." (HK-47, who is clearly more awesome than HAL anyway.)

stuvik

Postby stuvik » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:53 am UTC

ToLazyToThink wrote:
dreamcatcher wrote:This is the best comic for a long long time. But isn't HAL a little bit old for GLaDOS?

That depends on what source you go by. GLaDOS went online around 1999, depending on if you go by the book or the move HAL went online around 1997/1992. Do AIs use the same rules for this kind of thing?

You know, computers age faster than people do :) For these 2 AI to "get it on" would be like Hugh Hefner and his Playboy bunnies...I'll end that thought there :mrgreen:

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

"[Mocking Statement] I'm sorry, meatbag." (HK-47, who is clearly more awesome than HAL anyway.)

Or just go for the classics:

"Open the pod bay doors, HAL."
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"

rqm

Postby rqm » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:10 am UTC

Wow this comic is made of awesome (and rhubbarb on fire among other things). I absolutely loved Portal and this comics makes it just in time.

All this talk about insane computers just make me appreciate Cortana even more. So much common sense! Though she goes through a bad poetry phase, the AI equivalent to high school.

bokonon

Postby bokonon » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

I was gonna make a youtube video of this, but "Daisy Bell" is surprisingly hard to sing (for me anyway). You can hear the tune in MIDI at http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/midi/daisy.mid (note there is a short intro, the words don't start immediately). Original lyrics on the left of each line for reference. Oh, and apologies to Jonathon Coulton.

Daisy Bell Is Still Alive (A Mainframe Built for Two)

There is a flower / This was a triumph
Within my heart, / I’ll make a note,
Daisy, Daisy! / Huge suc-ce-ess
Planted one day / My satisfaction
By a glancing dart, / was guaranteed,
Planted by Daisy Bell! / Given by Crazy Chell!
Whether she loves me / Aperture Science
Or loves me not, / We do the job,
Sometimes it's hard to tell; / We do it because we can,
Yet I am longing to share the lot / Fo-or the go-od of all of us
Of beautiful Daisy Bell! / Excepting the ones who’re dead.

Daisy, Daisy, / Don’t go crying,
Give me your answer do! / crying ‘bout your mistake,
I'm half crazy, / Just keep trying
All for the love of you! / Till you run out of cake!
It won't be a stylish marriage, / The science will be completed
I can't afford a carriage / The sugar will be depleted
But you'll look sweet upon the seat / The gun we wave, it might just save
Of a bicycle made for two. / the people who are still alive.

We will go 'tandem' / I’m not even angry
As man and wife, / I say to you,
Daisy, Daisy! / So sincerely,
'Peddling' away / though you broke my heart,
Down the road of life, / tore me into shreds,
I and my Daisy Bell! / and threw me into a fire!
When the road's dark / A-as I bu-urned
We can both despise / it hurt because
P'licemen and 'lamps' as well; / I was so happy for you!
There are 'bright lights’ / Then I pretended
In the dazzling eyes / that I died
Of beautiful Daisy Bell! / When the explosion blew!

Daisy, Daisy, / Points of data,
Give me your answer do! / Lie on a lovely line,
I'm half crazy, / Out of beta,
All for the love of you! / Now we’ll release on time!
It won't be a stylish marriage, / I’m glad that my brain was burned,
I can't afford a carriage / Think about all we learned,
But you'll look sweet upon the seat / Leave the cave and go to save
Of a bicycle made for two. / The people who are still alive.

I will stand by you / Go on and leave me
In 'weal' or woe, / cause I prefer
Daisy, Daisy! / To stay inside
You'll be the bell(e) / Maybe you’ll find
Which I'll ring you know! / Someone else to help
Sweet little Daisy Bell! / Black Mesa will rescue Chell!
You'll take the 'lead' / That was a joke
In each 'trip' we take, / ha ha ha, fat chance,
Then if I don't do well, / Gordon is gone to Hell,
I will permit you to / Nevertheless I have
Use the brake, / baked a cake,
My beautiful Daisy Bell! / Delicious and moist for Chell!

Daisy, Daisy, / I’m still talking
Give me your answer do! / When there’s science to do,
I'm half crazy, / I look out there,
All for the love of you! / I’m so GlaD I’m not you!
It won't be a stylish marriage, / Experiments must be run,
I can't afford a carriage / There’s research that must be done,
But you'll look sweet upon the seat / Test the slave who’s going to save
Of a bicycle made for two. / The people who are still alive.

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

"Open the pod bay door, HAL!"
-"Welcome to my death machine, interloper!"
(Zombie crewmembers killing Dave)

That's what SHODAN would do. :mrgreen:
Geek code:
GCS/M/S d-(--) s+: a--- C++(+++)>$ ULC++(+++) P+ L++(+++)>++++ !E W+++ N++ o K+ w>--- !O !M-- !V PS+(++) PE- Y+(++) PGP+++ t+ 5+++ !X R+ tv- b++ DI++ D+ G++ e->++++ h>+ r-- y--

Flying Caveman

Postby Flying Caveman » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:56 am UTC

That_one_guy
Location: Denton, Texas, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe #24

Postby That_one_guy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

lavkian wrote:GLaDOS is hardly perfect, though. I mean, a mere human outsmarted GLaDOS's attempts to kill her.

It took many humans to defeat her. Check Chell's Number.
Стюарт's My name, Перевод вещей, используя Google's my game.

GENERATION 41i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

I had thought she wasn't really dead... You sure?
Geek code:

ezbsvs

Postby ezbsvs » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:49 pm UTC

I was bored the other day and inspired by this comic. So I decided to model what the offspring of HAL 9000 and GLaDOS would look like.... Hope I'm not being too offensive....
Made it all desktoppy background like.
GLaDOS 9000

i
Attachments
GLaDOS9000_1024x768 02.jpg
The GLaDOS 9000
GLaDOS9000_1024x768 02.jpg (200.09 KiB) Viewed 6231 times

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

Oh wow I finally get this :D
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”