0388: "Fuck Grapefruit"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ari

Re: "Fuck Grapefruit" Discussion

Postby Ari » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:34 am UTC

I'm totally betting this will go to like seven pages of people saying "Randall's taste in fruit is weird!" Any graph made that accounts for personal tastes is gonna have very large error bars on that axis. Deal with it, discussing the tastiness of fruit is like talking about when the coldest winter was, or which younger generation has the least respect. ;)

That said, if you have to discuss it, I suppose we'll all have to live with that. We all know it's your duty.
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."

Prometheus

Postby Prometheus » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:37 am UTC

Kebrel wrote:I guess Randal is just color blind, he got green and red apples backwards. Don't worry it's nothing to be ashamed of a lot of men are.

Why be ashamed? It actually gives you an edge in the wild. You're more sensitive to khaki colors. I know plenty of guys who wouldn't mind that 'problem' in exchange for the extra hunting prowess.
Well I thought it was funny.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:40 am UTC

So apparently no neutral fruits exist?

I'd put lychees on that line. Bland but palatable, and not difficult to peel, but not as easy as some may think.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:44 am UTC

rut774 wrote:So THAT'S how you compare apples and oranges.

You win three internets
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:53 am UTC

I would suggest putting persimmons on the list, but then we would need a z axis for weird as hell.
Tomatoes shouldn't grow on trees. End of story.

mightymouse1584

Postby mightymouse1584 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:10 am UTC

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Randal obviously never had a true green fresh coco nut. The brown dry thing they sell us in supermarket aren't true coconut - they're shitty leftovers!

Go in Dominican Republic, and get yourself a true green coconut for 15 pesos, he'll cut it open for you real easy. Drink it all, then use the corner of a building to split it open, and eat the white pulp.

Aw... man, I want to go back there.. :(

because going to the dominican republic to bang a piece of fruit against a building lies where on the easy scale?

amablue

Postby amablue » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:17 am UTC

I think this is much more accurate. It still needs to have some more fruit added to it though. Where are my various berries? He got blueberries, but no raspberries and black berries? And what about Kiwis and Limes?

Most notably, lemons are moved way to the top, some of the fruits in the top right have been moved down, and strawberries and pomegranates have been moved up to the tip top (pomegranates are supposed to be even with Pineapples, but the length of their respective names made that impossible). Pure lemon isn't the greatest in the world, I know, but I still love lemons. I think apples in general should be higher up on the chart, but I've already saved and uploaded it so it's too late now :?

I also propose we add an imaginary axis to the graph so that I can add things like Chesto Berry, Wiki Berry, and Iapapa Berry. A fig newton to whoever gets the reference.

Ozzah

Postby Ozzah » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:19 am UTC

Is it just me, or has anyone noticed the statistically significant, linear correlation between tasty and easy?

Your.Master

Postby Your.Master » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:42 am UTC

Ask a farmer about the difficulty ratings. Watch as strawberries & tomatoes slide way left while apples, pears, & peaches zoom off the charts to the right.

Oranges are in fact incredibly easy to peel, though not as easy as bananas. You don't need fingernails at all; I have very short fingernails and eat them just fine. You need practice at orange-eating :)

Depends very much on what specific subtype it is, where you live, what the season is, and how fresh it is. Things like tangerines, clementines, and other mandarins are always easy to peel (that I've encountered), but oranges in a lot of times & places are really fucking insane. I can't tear into some of those suckers without engaging in tool use, and I can rip your still-beating heart out with my bare hands.
Last edited by Your.Master on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:57 am UTC, edited 6 times in total.

Ari

Postby Ari » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:46 am UTC

Nono, the Z-axis would be better used to distinguish between sweetness and texture, imo, and cause less problems with this "tasty" stuff ;)

Also, I am a little bit disappointed that capsicums are omitted, as they'd fill out tasty but difficult nicely.

Let's not even get into assuming you've got a fruit knife handy to effect easiness.

ps: They're kiwifruit. Eat any flightless birds or New Zealand citizens and you'll be in trouble. Also, you are a freak for lemons :)
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."

Cexy

Postby Cexy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:57 am UTC

The real question is: if one wanted to put a total ordering on fruit, what metric should we be using? I don't think a simple "greatness = tastiness + easiness" really cuts it.
Eschew obfuscation.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:26 am UTC

Easiness is of far less concern, in my opinion. When selecting a piece of fruit to eat, I may momentarily consider how inconvenient it will be but this rarely influences my decision.

Passionfruit should be up there.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

insom

Postby insom » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:44 am UTC

Grapefruit has an argument error of at least +pi/2, given that the plot is made with a linear scale. Has this been adressed?

Also: where would the wahoonie be placed?
Normal cynics think they are realists. Hardcore cynics know they are optimists.
Woo I draw stuff - how incredibly awesome

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:56 am UTC

But... I love grapefruit! Sour is delicious!
Also, how are blueberries easy?! They're among the hardest.
And how can most fruit be more tasty than pomegranates? Pineapple sure isn't, for one. And what's so hard about them?
Come to think of it blueberries and pomegranates are pretty much the tastiest fruit, period. And grapefruit is also high up there.

Hasn't anyone made a web app for rating fruit yet? :D
Last edited by zombie_monkey on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:16 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:06 pm UTC

Bananas are very tasty. Tomatos are tasty as well. Not as tasty as bananas, but more tasty than Randall gives them credit for.

I am pleased that he says green apples are tastier than red apples. Green apples are superior.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

spingk

Postby spingk » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:11 pm UTC

Coconuts are actually quite easy to open. If you buy one just throw it as hard as you can on a hard surface, such as concrete. After a few hits it will crack open, usually spilling the coconut milk everywhere (but who likes that anyway?). You can now eat the coconut fruit right off the shell. :)

LackOfGrace

Postby LackOfGrace » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:19 pm UTC

spingk wrote:Coconuts are actually quite easy to open. If you buy one just throw it as hard as you can on a hard surface, such as concrete. After a few hits it will crack open, usually spilling the coconut milk everywhere (but who likes that anyway?). You can now eat the coconut fruit right off the shell. :)

and thats easier than just buying an apple wich you could eat directly? (without all the voilent stuff)

on another note,
Z axis for how much you would have to eat to be satisified?

charmuska

Postby charmuska » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

All right...so, we've got a few suggestions for a third axis.

Speed of satisfaction (is this fullness or almost-sick....ness?)
Extremeness of taste
Some others

I, however, propose "fun of eating." Sure, I don't particularly like watermelon, but it seems that a lot of people enjoy spitting the seeds as far as they can. Similarly, smashing a coconut on the ground is a lot more fun than carefully peeling an orange. Bananas and pineapples have potentially high ratings in this category as well.

You know, when I first saw and commented, I expected there to be a lot of uproar about tastiness (there has been), and not much about ease-to-eat. I guess my initial thoughts got served.

And yes, I'm sure we're talking culinary fruits. Otherwise we'd include beans and peas.
Your friend and mine,
Charmuska

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:55 pm UTC

What kind of fucked up fruit do you folks get in Yankland? Oranges, bananas and red apples should be higher.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

suso

Postby suso » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:57 pm UTC

I was just thinking, does anyone know if this type of chart/graph has a name? I guess you could call it a plot but I imagine there is a more specific name for it.
Imagine theres no signatures....

yusu

Postby yusu » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:00 pm UTC

i can't even touch to peaches. wish i could... :mrgreen:

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:01 pm UTC

Anyone tried a decent Fuji Apple?
IMO those are better than Green apples, they're juicy and sweet.
Actually, they range in color from red, green, yellow, or red and green on the same apple, but still...

Also the banana's spots and color indicate how sweet it is. I choose yellow ones that have some spots, kinda sweet, but firm.
If you call a banana mushy and too sweet, it has too much spots, and it's been sitting out too long.
If you call a banana tasteless and hard, you have a green banana.
They have a big taste range.
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

adjective

Postby adjective » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

Yellow Apples = Yum.

And I would have to say that Pomegranates belongs much closer to tasty. I think it's an acquired taste though-- at first I was a bit-- meh, now I love them.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

rut774 wrote:So THAT'S how you compare apples and oranges.

For the WIN! ~Linux0s
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:07 pm UTC

zombie_monkey wrote:Also, how are blueberries easy?! They're among the hardest.

You open the punnett. You take out a blueberry. You put it in your mouth. You hardly even need to chew! That is pretty easy.

Yawgmoth

Postby Yawgmoth » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

I am greatly offended at the positions of pomegranates and grapefruit! Also, grapefruit is tremendously easy when you buy it pre-sectioned and in its own juice in those nice jars. Mmm mmmm.

Prometheus

Postby Prometheus » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

I can't stand tomatoes. I would have to go a week without food before you could get me to bite into one. But I'll acknowledge that many people like them.

I am going to put the z axis issue to rest, right now. Rename X axis Difficulty in eating, and put the z axis Difficulty in finding.

I mean seriously. So far, z axis suggestions have been:
texture
nutrition
weird as hell
how much you have to eat to be satisfied
imaginary axis
sweetness

Texture is just to complex to rate linearly.
nutrition would work, but doesn't really fit in with the other two
weird as hell could work, but just so much stuff would fall under very normal. It's another highly subjective axis. I would be tempted to put the weirdness of pomegranates pretty high. And how would you have stuff that was so not-weird to push past the median line?
How much to eat? I say that is just silly.
Imaginary, give it it's own graph
sweetness, way strong correlation with the tasty axis. Fruit by nature tends to be pretty sweet anyway.
Well I thought it was funny.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:20 pm UTC

ShadowLurker wrote:Pomegranates are definitely NOT untasty. But this is amusing. I like this one. And lawl at coconuts, though I think it's a reference to something that I can't think of/haven't heard of.

Opening coconuts is very hard work. As far as oranges, apparently Randall has never had navel oranges. They're seedless, fairly easy to peel, and tastee n nootrishus. Of course, they're not as sweet as valencias.

And why the hell aren't clementines on there?

Here's possibly another explanation for the coconuts.
PRG

An important message for you:

GiantSnowman

Postby GiantSnowman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

I think this subject is excellent material for a flamewar, allow me to escalate:

Everyone who thinks banana's should tasty be is just an Absolute-Noob in fruittasting, some people just don't have a clue when it comes to fruit. Whoever got the stupid idea that nectarines are easier to eat then peaches? That's just absolute bogus! Last week I ate a nectarine and as usual it just dripped all over me and the table. I had to spend 5 minutes cleaning everything up again! How's that for easy?! And what's all this about not using knives? What are we, monkeys? Getting the knife out of the drawer takes like, 5 seconds! If you stinking apes are to dumb to take that effort you have no right to come here talking smack about citrus fruit! And what's wrong with coconuts? Never used an axe? Or is that simply because you are such an omglaserspewpewpew crowd?
Please just make sure you actually ate some fruit recently before you come post here and annoy those of us who actually know our stuff! It's just pathetic that I have to listen to emos who think bananas are actually good.

suso

Postby suso » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

GiantSnowman wrote:I think this subject is excellent material for a flamewar, allow me to escalate:

Everyone who thinks banana's should tasty be is just an Absolute-Noob in fruittasting, some people just don't have a clue when it comes to fruit.

..[snippage]..

Please just make sure you actually ate some fruit recently before you come post here and annoy those of us who actually know our stuff! It's just pathetic that I have to listen to emos who think bananas are actually good.

What? This is the dumbest shit I've heard in a while. Tasting isn't a skill (even that wine tasting bullshit). All that matters is whether you like it or not. Who cares what others think.

Either that or you're being sarcastic (which sensing sarcasm sometimes is a skill which I do not have).

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

I know people have already said this, but it bears repeating. Bananas are not only one of the easiest fruits to eat (just open the tab and chow down), but they're insanely delicious. They should be up somewhere around strawberries.

Oranges, however, are placed perfectly, which is amusing.

I think this is one of those comics that will go down in infamy. "Oh, man. Xkcd is so awesome. Randall's a genius!" "Hey, remember that one about fruit?"
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

Behold.

Here is my super-AJAX-powered fruit poll application: http://ermarian.net/services/statistics/fruit/

Vote early and often!

:D

(This makes me think that I should do something similar for the Political Compass some day.)
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

suso

Postby suso » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:Behold.

http://ermarian.net/services/statistics/fruit/

Vote early and often!

:D

Oh you so beat me too this. I was thinking that this could be a webapp and was searching for a good domain name for it. Good job.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:40 pm UTC

GiantSnowman wrote:a bunch of crap

DON'T LISTEN TO HIM, HE'S DUTCH!
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Mike Reaubroux

Coconuts

Postby Mike Reaubroux » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

Use a log-log scale.

tgape

Postby tgape » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

pomegranates are much easier, if you know the secret. Unfortunately, I do not have time to reveal that right now.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

tgape wrote:pomegranates are much easier, if you know the secret. Unfortunately, I do not have time to reveal that right now.

Damn you! Tell me the secret!

Pomegranates are utterly delicious, but they're generally too much of a bother for me...
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

TizzyFoe

Postby TizzyFoe » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

suso wrote:
GiantSnowman wrote:I think this subject is excellent material for a flamewar, allow me to escalate:

Everyone who thinks banana's should tasty be is just an Absolute-Noob in fruittasting, some people just don't have a clue when it comes to fruit.

..[snippage]..

What? This is the dumbest shit I've heard in a while. Tasting isn't a skill (even that wine tasting bullshit). All that matters is whether you like it or not. Who cares what others think.

Either that or you're being sarcastic (which sensing sarcasm sometimes is a skill which I do not have).

taste is subjective, but anyone who thinks bananas should be in the difficult region should be forcible sterilized. They come in their own god damn wrapper! You just open and eat. No washes, no cutting, no getting your hands dirty. What could be easier?

seedless grapes still have to be washed. Tell that to to Mr. banana. Some people recognize it as so great that they use it as proof of the existence of GOD! And you know what, if you think they taste bad thats fine. We don't need your kind here.
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"

CPesyna

Postby CPesyna » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

I can't completely agree with the placement of the fruit, but the failure to place your mom well in the upper right hand corner is a much more troubling issue to me.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:03 pm UTC

I can't see the comic at all... there's no picture there.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”