0086: "Digital Rights Management"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eleyras

0086: "Digital Rights Management"

Postby Eleyras » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

I searched. I searched twice. Keywords "Digital Rights Management" and "Wall of ice". And I didn't find a thread.
Alt text: If you're interested in the subject, Lawrence Lessig's 'Free Culture' is pretty good.

I read Free Culture and greatly enjoyed it. It was a well argued book about a social problem! This is amazing to someone who's been reading sociology books. It's also amazing to see the scope of the problem. I'm likely a felon for using the images I did in several school presentations - hell, my old high school encourages felony.

What I don't get in this comic is - what's with the wall of ice? How did it get there? How can black hat man threaten them with it? What does it have to do with the free culture stuff. I'm still puzzled by this one.
At some point, I will remember to sig quotes I find amusing or something.

...once I stop laughing.

Yuri2356

Re: Digital Rights Management

Postby Yuri2356 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

The wall is a glacier, massive bodies of ice that slowly slide across landscapes over the course of melenia. It represents how things like the internet are slowly and inevitably breaking down the way we used to deal with cultural media.

Or something like that.

Eleyras

Postby Eleyras » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:48 pm UTC

Possibly - or the slow freezing of culture?

...once I stop laughing.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:09 am UTC

No.

It's a glacier. It crushes things.

Slowly.

Noughmad

Postby Noughmad » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:04 am UTC

The guy think he's very poweful (he has a glacier, he can crush things), but actually he can't do anything against the big corporations.
Laziness is the mother of wisdom.
My woblag

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

Eleyras wrote:Possibly - or the slow freezing of culture?

No silly. Culture is speeding up.

[I would put the relevant Cat And Girl strip here but I can't find it.]
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

mazzilliu

Postby mazzilliu » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:
Eleyras wrote:Possibly - or the slow freezing of culture?

No silly. Culture is speeding up.

culture is actually melting like all glaciers, and will soon flood and drown all coastal areas especially places that are hotbeds of DRM development such as highly populated low lying areas and countries.

the little guy at the top symbolizes randall, because hes climbed to the top of culture to shout at the clouds, and the little crumbs of glacier at the bottom symbolize things like chu.ck norris jokes(nice word filter, it proves my point!) and rickroll links that the main body of culture has cast away to the sea. the clouds symbolize DRM because they are full of carbon dioxide and they will melt the glaciers. and because randall is shouting at them.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

I assume that it is something about the DRM groups being very slow to react to the new technology of .... um, the internet (wait, that's not new!). So they won't do anything about the glacier until it crushes them. Yay!

I guess its a bit how you can put a frog in a pot of water and slowly heat it, only you can't and its just a myth, so you can't. But if you could, it would be just like the DRM thing. Yes.

Also, did the OP search general, because some of the old comic threads are still there? I found nothing, but this may amuse.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Eleyras

Postby Eleyras » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:28 pm UTC

Oh really? No, I did not - I confined my search to this forum. Makes it easier and returns fewer bogus links.

...once I stop laughing.

Modified Bear

Postby Modified Bear » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

Hey, first post, I feel like people should be talking about this haha:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... rds-leaks/

Check out the "clever piece of artwork" being credited at the bottom of the article...

A reportedly new Radiohead song has been leaked by anonymous but seemingly official sources. Don't ask me, I'm not a tech geek, but somewhere in the download there was a "poem" which referenced a "wall of ice" a few times. Given that it's just about time for EMI to release their second round of Radiohead album re-releases without the band's permission and given their rocky history with record labels in general a lot of people are seeing this as the beginnings of some kind of move to undermine the release on Radiohead's part. Those two things in connection to each other (the phrase and the re-release) led nerds everywhere to think of this comic!

All I should say is, if it's true and if it's intentional - Randall. You're a fucking rock star :P

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:25 pm UTC

scowdich wrote:No.

It's a glacier. It crushes things.

Slowly.

Occams Razor verifies this theory...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

May want to change the title to "Digital Rights Management" Discussion, just to fit convention.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”