0149: "Sandwich"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

0149: "Sandwich"

Postby Shoofle » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:25 am UTC

Being born into royalty apparently means that when you were born, your first word was SU.

http://xkcd.com/c149.html
Shoofle

Postby Sitnaltax » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:50 am UTC

For the uninitiated: "sudo" is the Unix-style command for "execute this command as the superuser."
I will not succumb to evil, unless she's cute.
Sitnaltax

Postby Verysillyman » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:01 am UTC

Thankyou for that, I'm not much of a programmer so it was over my head.
Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby posiduck » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:59 am UTC

oh man, this was a tremendously awsome installment.

I live for the geek humor.
blistering guitar solo
posiduck

Postby posiduck » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:00 am UTC

Sitnaltax wrote:For the uninitiated: "sudo" is the Unix-style command for "execute this command as the superuser."

For the even less initiated:

It's like saying "do this as though the administrator account says to"
blistering guitar solo
posiduck

Postby Fluidfox » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:39 am UTC

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I laughed with no hesitation upon reading this.

Scenario A: I'm a complete geek, and semi-obscure Unix/Linux humor appeals to me.

Scenario B: See scenario A.

I say "semi-obscure" because at least it's something most people who have dabbled in the forbidden fruit of Linux would -get-
Fluidfox
Protector of the Null Set

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:20 am UTC

One of my friends has the habit of putting sudo in front of any command that won't work. Recently it caused him to accidentally run the "delete everything from every drive" command. If only the command made sandwiches.
Andy

Postby rrenaud » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:26 pm UTC

For more humor of this type, check out unix shell jokes.
rrenaud

Postby posiduck » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:29 pm UTC

Andy wrote:One of my friends has the habit of putting sudo in front of any command that won't work. Recently it caused him to accidentally run the "delete everything from every drive" command. If only the command made sandwiches.

the worst time for me was then I meant to type

sudo rm -rf ~/foo

but instead I typed

sudo rm -rf ~/

and there went my home directory. Much of it anyways, I managed to cancel before everything had been destroyed
blistering guitar solo
posiduck

Postby Westacular » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:33 pm UTC

Andy wrote:One of my friends has the habit of putting sudo in front of any command that won't work.

That's what makes this so funny. I mean, it shouldn't be funny, but for anyone whose ever been frustrated more than once by trying to do something in *NIX only to discover that it was a hidden permission problem, well, the guy in the chair's approach just seems sensible.
Westacular

Postby Shoofle » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:45 pm UTC

All this discussion is reminding me of a problem I am having. I am dabbling in making shell scripts, but when I try to run them( ./floop.sh ) it says I am not able to do that (I don't have permissions). When I try to 'sudo ./floop.sh' it gives me an error (command does not exist). Somehow I am getting around it even though su doesn't really exist in Ubuntu, but it works half the time. Anyone have any insights or ideas on what to do to get my shell scripts to run?
Shoofle

Postby rrenaud » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:25 pm UTC

You probably need to change permissions (chmod) it to have the executable bit set.

Code: Select all
chmod 755 floop.sh

alternatively,

chmod +x floop.sh

The first command says, make this file readable (4), writable (2), and executable (1) for me (4 + 2 + 1 = 7), and only readable and executable (4 + 1 = 5) for people in my group and the world. You can also use 777, but this will let anyone write to a file that you are going to execute, and is generally unsafe in multiuser systems.

The last command says make this executable for me, which is perhaps a lot more simple, but doesn't force you to do binary arithmetic and hence is not preferred :P.
rrenaud

Postby Cowie » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:30 pm UTC

i never knew about sudo.. i always just did su and then did it
this comic, and the resulting thread, has been a learning experience for me.
Cowie

Postby davean » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:09 am UTC

posiduck wrote:
Sitnaltax wrote:For the uninitiated: "sudo" is the Unix-style command for "execute this command as the superuser."

For the even less initiated:

It's like saying "do this as though the administrator account says to"

For the even less initiated: It works BITCHEZ;

COMPLY.
davean
Site Ninja

Postby heatsink » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:39 am UTC

Congratulations, you just got a ln -s at Pharyngula.
heatsink

Postby xkcd » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:15 am UTC

. . . took me a second to remember what ln does.

Yeah, that's . . . I think the third time I've been on his blog :)

ScienceBlogs actually offered to make me a full-time comicker there, but I am really enjoying xkcd here, so I stayed with the project.
xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby kira » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:16 am UTC

heatsink wrote:Congratulations, you just got a ln -s at Pharyngula.

HE GOT A NATURAL LOG OF NEGATIVE S?
kira
I hate bananas.

Postby helixblue » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:06 pm UTC

This comic really needs to be put on a t-shirt. I know I would wear it to work!

-- linux admin.
helixblue

Postby helixblue » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:10 pm UTC

Andy wrote:One of my friends has the habit of putting sudo in front of any command that won't work. Recently it caused him to accidentally run the "delete everything from every drive" command. If only the command made sandwiches.

At my managers behest, I was asked to give one of the desktop support people sudo priveleges on an intranet server a few years back. He needed to reset the MySQL root password for a database that was only used by a few people in IT. No big deal. The machine did run the internal e-mail, web, and file services, however.

It ends up that the guy really had not worked very much with command-lines. When it came time to shut down the database he first tried:

% mysqladmin shutdown
% sudo mysqladmin shutdown
% mysql shutdown
% sudo shutdown

The first command didn't work because he didn't have -p.

I was in my office, logged into the intranet server, when I saw the 30-second "please save everything" shutdown notice. I ran to his office to see what the fuck he was doing, and found out that thankfully - you can abort the shutdown with Ctrl-C. I got it in just after the 15 second notice..

phew!
helixblue

Postby Tropylium » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:13 am UTC

rrenaud wrote:For more humor of this type, check out unix shell jokes.

Which also require a lot less specific *nix kno'ledge to get.
Tropylium

Postby miss kyri » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:22 pm UTC

Andy wrote:One of my friends has the habit of putting sudo in front of any command that won't work. .

Bloody hell, how does he keep his computer together for a few months at a time?

On an semi-related note, a friend of mine once noted that the biggest security flaw in his computer was that he could type his root password whilst drunk...
miss kyri

Postby a1studmuffin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:32 am UTC

This is quite embarassing, but I originally laughed my ass off at this comic for the wrong reason.

I thought "sudo" was referring to the sudden invasion of "sudoku" as the new hip trendy thing for people to do. I attributed the person's instant change of mind about making the sandwich to the fact that the first person added "sudo" to the front of the sentence, instantly making it a hip and trendy thing to do and that everyone is making sandwiches for me, why shouldn't you? :D
a1studmuffin

Postby Andy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:27 pm UTC

It is things like that that make me want to write a program called "ku", which requires super-user priveliges(*) to run. I have a "kunittestmodrunner" on this computer, but: "sudo kunittestmodrunner" doesn't have the same ring.

(*) Yes, I can't spell this word. Typically I google for the word to fix it up. But now that that has happened easily over 5 times, I don't think I will ever learn how. So, now I'm trying to change the spelling of the word, to something I can manage... and now google won't think less of me for misspelling a word lots of times.
Andy

Postby Grincement » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:07 pm UTC

Andy wrote:(*) Yes, I can't spell this word. Typically I google for the word to fix it up. But now that that has happened easily over 5 times, I don't think I will ever learn how. So, now I'm trying to change the spelling of the word, to something I can manage... and now google won't think less of me for misspelling a word lots of times.

Using google as a spell checker, GENIUS! Had never thought of it before but now I will be able to spell, except some of my mispellings are so obscure not even google can save me!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams
Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:35 am UTC

Squeak wrote:Using google as a spell checker, GENIUS! Had never thought of it before but now I will be able to spell, except some of my mispellings are so obscure not even google can save me!

It is cool because it uses context too. Searching for "slashdot affect" will suggest "slashdot effect".
Andy

Postby Teaspoon » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:35 am UTC

Privilege becomes an easier word to spell when you realise it means "private law" - ie, to be "privileged" means to be under a custom set of laws that's different to the set the common folk have.

Once you know it's related to "legal", the second-to-last 'e' makes sense. Can't help you with remembering that it's "privi-" rather than "priva-" though.
Teaspoon

Postby a1studmuffin » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:15 pm UTC

I've found the problem with using Google as a spellchecker is this:

Usually if you're looking up a word in the first place, it's because it's an oddly spelled word, and lots of other people misspell it too. And because of the filthy blogs written by people who can't spell, you'll sometimes get enough hits on a misspelling that Google won't offer the alternative...

"Did you mean: diarrhea?"
a1studmuffin

Postby MrBawn » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:32 am UTC

So how do you pronounce "sudo?" Does it sound like "pseudo," or "sue do?"

Incidentally, I work at Amazon, and I have this comic taped outside of my office. Except I put it there after I saw the message about it being spotted at our headquarters. Besides, this comic posted on the day I started there.
MrBawn

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:36 am UTC

Isn't pseudo pronounced sue-do anyway?

Either way, you might as well just say Super User Do.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:02 am UTC

Andy wrote:
Squeak wrote:Using google as a spell checker, GENIUS! Had never thought of it before but now I will be able to spell, except some of my mispellings are so obscure not even google can save me!

It is cool because it uses context too. Searching for "slashdot affect" will suggest "slashdot effect".

...You mis-spelt /.

Gelsamel: "pseudo" ("pSOO - d'oh")
"sue do" ("soo DOO")
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
Spoiler:
Nullcline wrote:What a colossal waste of stupidity.
fjafjan wrote:I got quite a lot of "batter" left
natraj wrote:skydiving is p fun (in this respect it is almost exactly unlike centipedes)
doogly wrote:Oh, I like everything!
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:15 am UTC

I see it as Soo doe, and Soo doe.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=pseudo
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby MrBawn » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:44 pm UTC

That's "sue do" as in "Hey Sue, could you do something for me?"
MrBawn

Postby strangequarks » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:13 pm UTC

rrenaud wrote:For more humor of this type, check out unix shell jokes.

These really shouldn't be funny.

As for this whole thread: egad, I need to hurry up and get LINUXed.
strangequarks

Postby Corvin » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:58 pm UTC

a1studmuffin wrote:This is quite embarassing, but I originally laughed my ass off at this comic for the wrong reason.

I thought "sudo" was referring to the sudden invasion of "sudoku" as the new hip trendy thing for people to do. I attributed the person's instant change of mind about making the sandwich to the fact that the first person added "sudo" to the front of the sentence, instantly making it a hip and trendy thing to do and that everyone is making sandwiches for me, why shouldn't you? :D

ditto, my friend. i thought this was some off-the-wall sudoku reference.

Corvin
Corvin

Postby no-genius » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:47 pm UTC

Corvin wrote:
a1studmuffin wrote:This is quite embarassing, but I originally laughed my ass off at this comic for the wrong reason.

ditto, my friend. i thought this was some off-the-wall sudoku reference.

Corvin

Haha, me too! I was just too embarassed to say
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.
no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby matrixhax0r » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:35 am UTC

So um... put this in a file called "Makefile":
%:;     @touch .
whoami := $(shell whoami)
ifeq    (${whoami}, root)
me:;    @echo okay.
else
me:;    @echo what? make it yourself.
endif

And in the same folder try:
$ make me a sandwich
$ sudo make me a sandwich

I'm sure someone can improve on this?
matrixhax0r

Postby Kin » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:03 am UTC

I'm passed an enlightened journey...all comics now make sense.

Success!
Kin

Postby aldimond » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:21 am UTC

matrixhax0r wrote:So um... put this in a file called "Makefile":
%:;     @touch .
whoami := $(shell whoami)
ifeq    (${whoami}, root)
me:;    @echo okay.
else
me:;    @echo what? make it yourself.
endif

And in the same folder try:
$ make me a sandwich
$ sudo make me a sandwich

I'm sure someone can improve on this?

You win so very hard.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.
aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby nameless » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:39 pm UTC

Kin wrote:I'm passed an enlightened journey...all comics now make sense.

Success!
*smacks you on the head*
Now, go tell me you understand all the comics and I shall slap you with my large trout...
Anyhow, yeah, I didn't get the sudo part untill I came to the forum....
Wayne Weiten wrote:Sexual intercourse is really a pretty simple activity. Most animals execute the act with a minimum of difficulty. However, humans manage to make sexual relations terribly complicated
nameless
Fooled you; My name is Inigo Montoya

Postby warriorness » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

posiduck wrote:

the worst time for me was then I meant to type

sudo rm -rf ~/foo

but instead I typed

sudo rm -rf ~/

and there went my home directory. Much of it anyways, I managed to cancel before everything had been destroyed

I've figured out a way to make running such commands a lot safer: When you first type it out, preface the whole thing with "#" (the comment symbol in Bash). Then make sure you've typed it correctly, and press [Home] [Delete] [Enter].

It also works for saving long commands for later that I don't want to retype. For example when I go to copy a bzImage to my boot partition, and realize almost too late that my boot partition isn't mounted yet, I comment out the long cp command, mount the partition, press the up arrow twice to recall the cp command, and run it.
Iluvatar wrote:Love: Gimme the frickin' API.
yy2bggggs, on Fischer Random chess wrote:Hmmm.... I wonder how how a hypermodern approach would work
warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads