0403: "Convincing pickup line"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

podbaydoor

Re: "Convincing pickup line" Discussion

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

Ah, memories. Midway through my first semester in college, a friend's roommate started putting together a hookup graph of the dorm's top three floors' assorted social circles. I was sort of trailing off the edge of the graph - connected to the main hubs by one line, and then just one other line that said, simply, "DDR guys."

Four semesters later, this is still almost completely true. I really need to find another dating pool other than the local DDR club. :(
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

katyism

Postby katyism » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:07 pm UTC

katyism wrote:Please please please someone help me find an online widget or program or something that I can use to make a neat little map of MY local hookup network by inputting people I know and what I know about their hookups. (I have all this information saved in text files. Seriously. I just don't know what application would make it easy to do graphically and neatly)

I found one! It's free and called Chisio, and is fairly point-n-click.

Unfortunately my enthusiasm for this is gone because I can't remember most of who hooked up with who now, I heard about all of it when I was drunk with friends many a time.

monocultured

Postby monocultured » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

You're not the only one this comic resonated with enough to motivate a new registration. For me it was the alt-text; several years ago I was sleeping with a girl who was sleeping with a guy who was sleeping with Natalie Portman. I frequently elide this sentence to read: "Several years ago I was sleeping with [...] Natalie Portman."

Which now allows me to use the sentence

A guy I know about, who commented on my post, used to sleep with […] Natalie Portman!

mig-mog

Postby mig-mog » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:55 am UTC

MJZimmer88 wrote:So if I sign my Hank Aaron (1,2) autographed baseball, that would give me an Erdos number 2 (Wikipedia says it's cool). I was in the crowds in Fever Pitch (filmed during the 2004 playoffs), starring Drew Barrymore (who was in Scream with Neve Campbell who was in Wild Things with Kevin Bacon) giving me a Bacon number of 3.

(Side note: Hank Aaron was also in the crowds in the movie Fever Pitch while I was there (no joke). Hank's got a Bacon number of 2 (Cite: Wikipedia).

I may need help with this math... two plus three equals? 5. That seems way too low. Anyone want to touch me?

If you think about it, if you post on here, your Erdos number is now 3. ;)

Yay, I now have an Erdos number.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:43 am UTC

Wikipedia wrote:It is jokingly said that the famous American baseball player Hank Aaron has an Erdős number of 1 because he autographed a baseball with Erdős when Emory University awarded them both honorary degrees on the same day.

Emphasis mine. Seems like that's hardly legit to me. Too bad-- having an Erdos number of three would be awesome.

moxmallow

Postby moxmallow » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:45 am UTC

*Aquires Erdos number*
I have a whole new appreciation for this forum :]
Kalos wrote:Big O notation, because despite having 26 english letters, 24 greek letters, and the ability to make up symbols, we STILL choose the one letter easiest confused with a zero

carls

Postby carls » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:02 am UTC

IronyandParadox wrote:Is it just me, or is he doing a lot of gender-positive comics lately? This one has the girl using the pickup line, and important life lesson had the girl receiving...

Well, if the girl had been giving, the Power Rangers theme would even have seemed appropriate.

plad

Postby plad » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:15 pm UTC

We're using graphviz for our graph (Edit : My mistake. We're using netdraw).
Blue - guys.
Red - girls.
Circle - one of our circle of friends.
Triangle - Another person (Either needed in order to make the graph connected or just to remind us of an amusing connection).

The graph is connected, except that the connecting person asked to be left out of the graph, so we have an isolated vertice...

For previous versions of the graph we've had a full analysis, but it's not updated...
The analysis included diameter (8), maximal clique (4), maximal degree (That has become a sort of competition...) and more...

In a previous version, by removing 2 vertices we've become bi-partitate graph, but that was fixed...
Attachments
graph_11_12_07.jpg
graph_11_12_07.jpg (68.29 KiB) Viewed 6244 times
Last edited by plad on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

See that isolated one at the top left?
You're making fun of me, aren't you.

plad

Postby plad » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:21 pm UTC

There is a missing rectangle in the drawning.
That guy`s girlfriend don't want to appear in our graph...

We've thought about an anonymous triangles just so the graph we're displaying will be connected, but that's just stupid...
Last edited by plad on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

plad wrote:There is a missing rectangle in the drawning.

We've thought about an anonymous rectangle just so the graph we're displaying will be connected, but that's just stupid...

Incidentally, those are triangles, not rectangles.

In a previous version, by removing 2 vertices we've become bi-partitate graph, but that was fixed...

Was it fixed in the manner described in the comic (i.e. by adding more connections between vertices)?

zenten

Postby zenten » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

Robin S wrote:I often miss the latest comic despite being awake due to time spent on the fora, but I think almost two and a half hours is a record.

joeframbach wrote:That "Burdette" fellow is quite the man.
As is that "Brian Kelly" guy.
Indeed. I was wondering whether there were any instances of K2,2 as subgraphs, but realized that those two alone probably account for something like K2,5 between them.

"I've had sex with someone who's had sex with someone who's written a paper with Paul Erdős!" would have been better as "I've had sex with someone who's had sex with someone who's had sex with Paul Erdős", though the latter would be possibly harder to demonstrate and would also imply that either I, my sexual partner, or their sexual partner, likes considerably older sexual partners (or that I myself am fairly old).

I've only had sex with someone who had Paul Erdős stay at her house for a few weeks, although she may have slept with someone that coauthored a paper with him.

Oh, and has anyone tried implementing a way of collecting this information online, and having it draw neat little graphs? Besides that LJ scam I mean.

plad

Postby plad » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
plad wrote:There is a missing triangle in the drawning.

We've thought about an anonymous triangle just so the graph we're displaying will be connected, but that's just stupid...

Incidentally, those are triangles, not triangles.

I don't know what you're talking about (sorry, I'm an idiot).

Random832 wrote:

Was it fixed in the manner described in the comic (i.e. by adding more connections between vertices)?

It was fixed in the more traditional way of getting a girl drunk, and convincing her to make out with another girl...

I'm not sure if graph-connectivity was used as an argument, but I wouldn't be surprised...

ccx

Postby ccx » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

zenten wrote:Oh, and has anyone tried implementing a way of collecting this information online, and having it draw neat little graphs? Besides that LJ scam I mean.

That's the first thing I thought of. Work for the Web of trust if you ask me. Maybe throw in the FOAF for XML/RDF thing. Is anybody interested in actually implementing that?

I just fear that when I would consult 'making graphs' with my gf it would end up worse than in that aligned lines comic.
ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

zorgzy

Postby zorgzy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

I live at a residential college in australia, and we (the student IT support) maintain an intranet page for various things, newsposts, birthday reminders, polls, quotes, photos ect. We also have what we call the spit chain where anyone can submit scores that happen inbetween college residents (200 peeps). We also then have the 'spitweb' which graphically represents this (normally it just presents it as blah scored blah at blah).

The spitweb is very cool. By double clicking on someones photo, you orientate everyone they've scored around them, and their scores around them ect, to make the tightest possible circle. Eg -

Then I clicked again and -

You can zoom in/out, and move people around on your own, my favouite pastime is how tight web can get - (this person doesn't have a photo because i haven't added it yet, ma bad)

We have a leaderboard on which people with the most 'scores' (not always sex, to get on the spitchain it just has to be a kiss (hence spit)) are listed (ultimate scorewhore - since they came to college, and scorewhore - since they arrived).

best thing about the spitchain is its great for learning names. nevertheless, very cool. I think of it as organised gossip.

Spitwebs in java, & the spitchain pulls off a mySQL database of residents (that we already have to maintain for the phone/room directories). spitchain admin have to approve the score before everyone else can see it. works perfectly! its all in good fun, too.

SpaceFrank

Postby SpaceFrank » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:34 am UTC

When I saw the alt text for this comic, I immediately wondered if it might actually be an author-inserted statement of truth rather than a reference to either of the two characters in the comic. To test the possibilities of this theory, I did some research. First I did what engineers do best and made a radically simplifying assumption: namely, that the referenced person with an Erdos number of 1 would be geographically connected with Randall Munroe (assumption A). Not knowing what else to do (and not willing to search through more than a couple dozen names), I made a further assumption that the person in question would be a faculty member in the math department at MIT (assumption B).

After some cross-referencing between MIT's website and this list, I found that there are 11 members of the MIT Math Department faculty with an Erdos number of 2, but only one with an Erdos number of 1. This man is none other than Daniel Kleitman, who also holds the honor of the lowest recorded Erdos-Bacon number, 3. What does this mean? It means that in order for my hypothesis to be correct, one of the following must be true: (1) There must be someone who has had sex with both Randall Munroe and Dr. Daniel Kleitman. (2) The person with an Erdos number of 1 referenced in the comic's alt-text is not a member of of the MIT math department faculty (i.e., assumption A is incorrect). (3) The person in question is not from Cambridge at all (i.e., assumption B is incorrect).

Personally, I think the assumptions I've made are perfectly reasonable. Furthermore, it would be much cooler if my hypothesis were correct than if it were not. Therefore, I hereby suggest that we set about immediately to uncover the identity of this mysterious shared sex partner between the esteemed Dr. Kleitman and Mr. Munroe.

ilovesocks

Postby ilovesocks » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:18 am UTC

Great comic. I had Ronald Graham (also of xkcd fame) last quarter, and he mentioned the Erdős number. Freakin' brilliant guy.

AlphaSquirrel

Postby AlphaSquirrel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:09 am UTC

Has anybody even fucking tried this? It's not easy. :evil: The vast amount of knowledge you need on the encounter's hook-ups none the less all of the hook-up's hook-ups. I can't even keep track of my current hook-up's past hook-ups none the less theirs or the target's past hook-ups. I want someone to try this. If you can complete it successfully please e-mail me @ Shorttyler@hotmail.com w/ proof. I don't believe this is easily attained.

amirkraus

Postby amirkraus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:07 pm UTC

A. Smith wrote:Alt: "Check it out; I've had sex with someone who's had sex with someone who's written a paper with Paul Erdős!"

Hey, for real:
I had sex with someone who's had sex with someone who's written a paper with someone who's written a paper with Paul Erdős!

That should entitle me for the Erdős number of 2+2i, shouldn't it?

myque08

Postby myque08 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:30 pm UTC

I just found out I have a sexy Erdos number of 3+1i. Woohoo! :lol:

jewish_scientist

Re: 0403: "Convincing pickup line"

Postby jewish_scientist » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:58 pm UTC

Am I the only one who thinks that these people should be together? What are the chances that two people that nerdy and obsessive living that close together and being in the same social group? I am going to get a bunch of numbers and math thrown at me now, right? I love this website.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”