0406: "Venting"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GCM

Re: "Venting" Discussion

Postby GCM » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:32 am UTC

the_toaster wrote:*grins* I just did this. It was actually quite calming.

I'm actually half-tempted to. Except that I'm not particularly angry or disgruntled right now.

Ahh, what the heck. Here I come! Youtube, IGN, or maybe even the X-Play boards!
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:37 am UTC

As I have yet to see Firefly or Serenity, actually wait hang on a second...
*dons flame-resistant suit*
... OK there we go. Anyway as I was saying, I only know Summer Glau from Terminator Chronicles, and I will agree with some other previous posters: Damn she's fit!

This comic comes at a very crazy instance - last night I was in fact watching Terminator:TSCC [Virgin1 channel in UK, we've only just got the first series], probably the 6/7th episode, so the rule that at least one instance of xkcd will cause the reader to cry out "Randall get out of my head" applies to me now.

I suppose this comic links up very neatly with the "Someone is wrong on the internet" episode. There's far too many morons who need correcting on the completely unrelated/ridiculous opinions they express in comments in online discussions, and just not enough time to systematically purge them all. Though I must agree that it is satisfying to tear them apart; very efficient way to vent one's spleen.

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:45 am UTC

Flaming (as all flaming tends to be) for not having seen Firefly is just silly.

On the other hand, it is still extremely highly recommended that you watch the series/movie. If it does happen to be "pop culture," it certainly doesn't deserve being written off for that.
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.

Giorgos

Postby Giorgos » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:28 am UTC

Alt-text was brilliant. That is all.

P.S. Sarah Connor Chronicles are pretty rubish (apart from Summer Glau...)

P.P.S. Especially Sarah Connor herself...

thesleepless

Postby thesleepless » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:32 am UTC

... than a result of even rudimentary lucidity.
-Summer Glau

P.S. Don't forget to check out the next season of The Sarah Connor Chronicles this Fall on Fox!

NO U!

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:42 am UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:(Also, "Summer Glau." I wonder if that was just totally random if there's some method to that madness.)

There are people on xkcd who haven't watched Firefly? Is that allowed?

not only that, but I don;t even know what it's about
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:57 am UTC

I had to wiki Summer Glau because I spend too much time in front of a computer and not enough in front of a TV.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

ravenhearte

Postby ravenhearte » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:41 am UTC

Kamikazee wrote:
sea otter wrote:
edit :: (laughing) and this comic is already cited on her Wiki page - nice work, guys

And the wiki nazi's have already removed it ... *sigh*

If someone were to take the time to find other pop culture references to Summer and include them and the (at least) two from xkcd under a new section titled References in Pop Culture, think the wiki Nazi's would leave it?

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:44 am UTC

Aglet wrote:Seems Randall has quite the crush on Summer Glau.

AS SHOULD WE ALL.

Wait, what about Ms. Garofalo and Gabe?
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

LittleChrist

Postby LittleChrist » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

*GASP*

By the time I took a look at the Summer Glau Wikipedia page after I heard someone updated it with her appearance in this xkcd strip, it was gone. A look at the history reveals:
(yes, xkcd is funny, but that link is not relevant to the article)

When is xkcd NOT relevant!
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~ Theodor Seuss Geisel

jdmack

Postby jdmack » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:41 pm UTC

Aradae wrote:Though not as elaborate as Randall has described, I usually attack ignorant posters with a 3 to 5 paragraph Perry Cox-esque rant.

?????

Perry Cox, the world's foremost Beatles collecting expert? What sort of rants does he post?

J. D.

http://members.aol.com/perrydcox/

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:49 pm UTC

I thoroughly appreciate any webcomic with a reference even slightly related to Firefly/Serenity! :)
Although I strongly recommend not actually "venting" in the way this comic describes. A well thought out response would be wasted on any person who would make a comment worthy of being blasted in this way.
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

poiuyt

Postby poiuyt » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:14 pm UTC

No power in the verse can stop me

ravenhearte

Postby ravenhearte » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:16 pm UTC

ravenhearte wrote:
Kamikazee wrote:
sea otter wrote:
edit :: (laughing) and this comic is already cited on her Wiki page - nice work, guys

If someone were to take the time to find other pop culture references to Summer and include them and the (at least) two from xkcd under a new section titled References in Pop Culture, think the wiki Nazi's would leave it?

We win!

Annirak

Postby Annirak » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

Well, if summer glau gets an xkcd reference in Wikipedia, someone needs to edit Janeane Garofalo's page to include xkcd links too!
[X]Wife
[X]Car
[X]Rain
Now all I need is a movie to set off that pet peeve.

Pxtl

Postby Pxtl » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:25 pm UTC

Wow. Summer Glau is gonna get the wierdest fan-mail EVER.

Annirak wrote:Well, if summer glau gets an xkcd reference in Wikipedia, someone needs to edit Janeane Garofalo's page to include xkcd links too!

Not there anymore. Too bad, it would've been funny if Summer Glau was Xkcd's bitch (http://slumbering.lungfish.com/?p=557)

DanYocum

Postby DanYocum » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

Hey, I used to work with crackmonkey at Linuxcare. Which turned into Levanta. Which, as of March 31st, 2008, is no more. *sigh*

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

Aradae wrote:Though not as elaborate as Randall has described, I usually attack ignorant posters with a 3 to 5 paragraph Perry Cox-esque rant.

Ah, but do you actually sign them "Perry Cox"?

For the record, I'd never even heard of Firefly before xkcd. I don't watch much TV, and I'm not a sci-fi geek at all so I'm not at all familiar with anything on the Sci-Fi Channel besides Stargate SG-1, and that only because I have friends who are fans of it. (I know, shocking, huh? There are people here who have never played D&D either.)
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

please, i am begging someone...

teach me how to come up with this shit :)
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Best. Alt text. Ever.

BTW, why does the main page still link previously: Journal and Journal 2?
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Dsarker

Postby Dsarker » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

Mmm, Nutritious and tasty Firefly references! Theres one in every comic!

pyro789x

Postby pyro789x » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

I'm disappointed that his "well thought-out and extensive rebuttal" was mostly just ad hominem.

zahlman

Postby zahlman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:(Also, "Summer Glau." I wonder if that was just totally random if there's some method to that madness.)

There are people on xkcd who haven't watched Firefly? Is that allowed?

Yes. In fact, I'm not even sure I've ever even heard of it.
Belial wrote:I once had a series of undocumented and nonstandardized subjective experiences that indicated that anecdotal data is biased and unreliable.

Mo6eB

Postby Mo6eB » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

Am... Am I the only one here who doesn't found Summer Glau all that attractive (excluding individuals not sexually attracted to the physique of human females, of course)? She is pleasing to the eye, but if I may make a chocolate analogy - she's about as good as a nice bar of Milka. Milka is fine, of course, better than bad, but worse than excellent. Now Jewel Staite, on the other hand, is like Lindt Excellence Intense Mint - excellent, veering into dangerously seductive. Seriously - don't you people find Jewel Staite more beautiful than Summer Glau? There must be a poll on this.
GENERATION [imath]\aleph_{1}[/imath] : Whenever you wish, copy this into your sig on any forum and increase the generation to the next transfinite cardinal. Social experiment NOT over.

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

Gotta love Firefly. Pity bloody Fox quit it after no more than one season. 14 is just way too few.
Geek code:
GCS/M/S d-(--) s+: a--- C++(+++)>$ ULC++(+++) P+ L++(+++)>++++ !E W+++ N++ o K+ w>--- !O !M-- !V PS+(++) PE- Y+(++) PGP+++ t+ 5+++ !X R+ tv- b++ DI++ D+ G++ e->++++ h>+ r-- y--

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

Mo6eB wrote:Am... Am I the only one here who doesn't found Summer Glau all that attractive (excluding individuals not sexually attracted to the physique of human females, of course)? She is pleasing to the eye, but if I may make a chocolate analogy - she's about as good as a nice bar of Milka. Milka is fine, of course, better than bad, but worse than excellent. Now Jewel Staite, on the other hand, is like Lindt Excellence Intense Mint - excellent, veering into dangerously seductive. Seriously - don't you people find Jewel Staite more beautiful than Summer Glau? There must be a poll on this.

Jewel Staite is outright adorable, the same way Nikki Clyne is except more so. But Summer Glau is far more mysterious and enticing, and that adds a thick layer of sexy on top of the beautiful.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

1337geek wrote:
GodShapedBullet wrote:Somebody has to have not watched Firefly for it to still be cool and hip besides just entertaining.

Your welcome.

The haze created by your spelling error and your crimes against grammar force me to assume that your flirtation with coherence is more likely a chance event than a result of momentary lucidity. --Summer Glau

P.S. I see what you're about to do there.

(edit: just to clarify: no offense, Bullet, it's just that my joke needed a scapegoat, and you conveniently made some typos)

Well, that was embarrassing. I would protest that it was only one typo and zero crimes against grammar, but I imagine Summer Glau has better things to do than listen to the feeble apologies of someone that spells "you're" wrong.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:23 pm UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:
1337geek wrote:
GodShapedBullet wrote:Somebody has to have not watched Firefly for it to still be cool and hip besides just entertaining.

Your welcome.

The haze created by your spelling error and your crimes against grammar force me to assume that your flirtation with coherence is more likely a chance event than a result of momentary lucidity. --Summer Glau

P.S. I see what you're about to do there.

(edit: just to clarify: no offense, Bullet, it's just that my joke needed a scapegoat, and you conveniently made some typos)

Well, that was embarrassing. I would protest that it was only one typo and zero crimes against grammar, but I imagine Summer Glau has better things to do than listen to the feeble apologies of someone that spells "you're" wrong.

Actually, you split an infinitive, but I'll let it slide if it's a result of watching Star Trek. Also, I like how you actually went back and edited your post, making my psychic-River-Tam "I see what you did there" joke actually work. Much obliged.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

paralian

Postby paralian » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

Ever since I watched Serenity I've been relating everything to Serenity and Firefly.

Find a random blog on wordpress that hardly has any comments and document their spelling errors and stuff--they'll be happy for a comment, at least someone's looking at their blog.

Mo6eB wrote:Am... Am I the only one here who doesn't found Summer Glau all that attractive (excluding individuals not sexually attracted to the physique of human females, of course)? She is pleasing to the eye, but if I may make a chocolate analogy - she's about as good as a nice bar of Milka. Milka is fine, of course, better than bad, but worse than excellent. Now Jewel Staite, on the other hand, is like Lindt Excellence Intense Mint - excellent, veering into dangerously seductive. Seriously - don't you people find Jewel Staite more beautiful than Summer Glau? There must be a poll on this.

I didn't find her that attractive throughout the series, I think it was because she was all crazy and such, and I felt sorry for her. But at the end of Serenity I was like Yay she's overcome that and she's amazing and attractive. (And she's an awesome dancer)

Kaylee/Jewel Straite in the movie didn't seem to have that much to her character (which is the problem of cramming that whole story into a movie), she seemed more interested in having something twixt her nethers...:)

They're both attractive in different ways.

Aglet wrote:Seems Randall has quite the crush on Summer Glau.

AS SHOULD WE ALL.

I agree! With both statements.

Just the other day I thought "you know what? randall munroe must be a browncoat"...I'm not sure if it's true, maybe he's just interested in firefly/serenity.
Last edited by paralian on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:26 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

Nice owning up there, 1337geek. Keep it up!
Geek code:
GCS/M/S d-(--) s+: a--- C++(+++)>$ ULC++(+++) P+ L++(+++)>++++ !E W+++ N++ o K+ w>--- !O !M-- !V PS+(++) PE- Y+(++) PGP+++ t+ 5+++ !X R+ tv- b++ DI++ D+ G++ e->++++ h>+ r-- y--

Timequake

Postby Timequake » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

I'd have to agree here.
This comic came at exactly the right time. I hadn't even heard of firefly until a friend of mine showed it to me last week, and hadn't known about the alt-text comment until yesterady.
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

I sort of agree with you, but you do have to see that River wasn't quite meant to look attractive in that series. At least that's what I think. She was meant to look... weird. (But Kaylee really is my favourite character)
Last edited by 3_of_8 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:05 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Geek code:

auntiesue

Postby auntiesue » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

I just want to see how my avatar is doing.

JoshuaZ

Postby JoshuaZ » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

ravenhearte wrote:
Kamikazee wrote:
sea otter wrote:

Sigh. You know, people volunteer a lot of their time to try to get Wikipedia articles in good shape. In general pop culture sections are frequently removed because they often consist of original research and are of unclear importance. I generally leave them alone if there's no compelling reason to remove them, but insisting on general removal isn't inherently unreasonable. The best way to get a pop-culture matter to stay is if a reliable secondary source mentions the matter. So if you can get a mention of this comic in a reliable source then it will definitely stay. A section with multiple pop-culture references has a better chance of staying also but it isn't terribly high.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

1337geek wrote:Actually, you split an infinitive, but I'll let it slide if it's a result of watching Star Trek. Also, I like how you actually went back and edited your post, making my psychic-River-Tam "I see what you did there" joke actually work. Much obliged.

There's no good reason not to recklessly split infinitives. That "rule" was just made up by some bishop who liked Latin a lot and wanted to borrow its grammar for English. It's not even an explicit rule in Latin, as far as I know—Latin infinitives are usually just a single word that cannot be split anyway.

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:06 pm UTC

Indeed they are. Not only usual, but always. That is why I wonder why you think the handling of split infinitives in English should in any way be connected to Latin grammar.

Anyway, to get a bit btt, I also just learned from the existence of Firefly some 5 days ago at some kind of competition held in a youth hostel. There was a true fan there who showed me some of the episodes and now I'm just plain hooked. Funny, how all these highly improbable coincidences tend to happen to me all the time.

(Oh and... feel free to correct my spelling. ;) )
Geek code:

lmclapp68

Postby lmclapp68 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

Mo6eB wrote:Am... Am I the only one here who doesn't found Summer Glau all that attractive? [...] Now Jewel Staite, on the other hand, is like Lindt Excellence Intense Mint
Allow me to answer your question with another famous question, and an appropriate response:
The Internet Oracle wrote:The Internet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. Your question was:

> Oh brilliant and quirky Oracle, smarter than the Professor, more
> commanding than the Skipper, and richer than the Howells, please settle
> once and for all the second most important question of all:
>
> Ginger or MaryAnn?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:

} Or?
(I've crossed the beams, haven't I? I'm going to hell.)

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

Yeah, you do. To the special level reserved for child molestors and people who talk in theatre.
Geek code:

justaman

Postby justaman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

jdmack wrote:?????

Perry Cox, the world's foremost Beatles collecting expert? What sort of rants does he post?

J. D.

http://members.aol.com/perrydcox/

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Cox in case you were really ignorant of pop-culture, rather than being intentionally obtuse
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

3_of_8 wrote:Indeed they are. Not only usual, but always. That is why I wonder why you think the handling of split infinitives in English should in any way be connected to Latin grammar.

I don't think it should be connected at all: traditionally, English infinitives could be split with no problem, and it was an accepted convention for centuries. My understanding of history, however, is that at some point, certain prescriptivists did think Latin grammar conventions should be used in English, and among these conventions was the prohibition of split infinitives. This is where the "no split infinitives" rule comes from. You are right in thinking this is a dumb idea, but you are also simply agreeing with my original point when you do so.

Or, put another way:

Some prescriptivist hundreds of years ago said: In Latin, infinitives cannot be split. Therefore, in English, we should not split infinitives.
The upper class at that point said: Well, that prescriptivist guy is a bishop or something, so we should do what he says and not split infinitives.
(Cue generations of "poorly-educated" people continuing to split infinitives because it makes perfect sense to continue what English speakers had been doing for centuries.)
Generations of grammar teachers said: Don't split your infinitives.
(Generations of "poorly-educated" people continue splitting infinitives anyway.)
Descriptive linguists of today, along with people such as myself who are convinced by their arguments, say: Go ahead and split infinitives. There's nothing wrong with it.
(Generations of "poorly-educated" people feel vindicated. Grammar teachers and other pedants feel shamed. A new generation of well-educated people learns that they can split infinitives without feeling guilty about it, and the damage to the English language done by some pompous megalomaniac centuries ago is slowly undone.)

(Note: This is an executive summary of the history of split infinitives in English. For the full story, do your own research.)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”