0406: "Venting"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

3_of_8

Re: "Venting" Discussion

Postby 3_of_8 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

Ah, I get the notion. I seem to have missed one or two "not"s in your post, so I thought you were saying the exact opposite of what you actually said.
Geek code:
GCS/M/S d-(--) s+: a--- C++(+++)>$ ULC++(+++) P+ L++(+++)>++++ !E W+++ N++ o K+ w>--- !O !M-- !V PS+(++) PE- Y+(++) PGP+++ t+ 5+++ !X R+ tv- b++ DI++ D+ G++ e->++++ h>+ r-- y--

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

Aglet wrote:Seems Randall has quite the crush on Summer Glau.

AS SHOULD WE ALL.

Sorry, I'm too busy having a crush on Morena Baccarin.

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

Well, I for one am not too much into that having one's amygdalas removed and slashing fellow crew members with a butcher's knife stuff. But if you like that stuff, which I personally don't, River is just perfect for you. :mrgreen:

(Just kidding, I see what you mean, though I'd prefer Jewel Staite)
Geek code:
GCS/M/S d-(--) s+: a--- C++(+++)>$ ULC++(+++) P+ L++(+++)>++++ !E W+++ N++ o K+ w>--- !O !M-- !V PS+(++) PE- Y+(++) PGP+++ t+ 5+++ !X R+ tv- b++ DI++ D+ G++ e->++++ h>+ r-- y--

Commander Bob

Postby Commander Bob » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

That comic just made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside... :)

cleverdan

Postby cleverdan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

I can't wait to try this!

And. Everyone should see firefly at least once; - i have both the film and the dvds. As for D&D, i think axis and allies is a suitable substitute. Best. Board. Game. Ever.

GiantSnowman

Postby GiantSnowman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

I watched one or two episodes of Firefly, but I just couldn't suspend my disbelief. They were happy about salvaging a powerbar from a spaceship at the expense of how much fuel? And then there was that overly cliché totalitarian government on one side opposed to the cannibalistic space-zombies. Way too black and white. Maybe I should see it as fantasy instead of sf?

No Picnic

Postby No Picnic » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:05 am UTC

Is it just me, or does anyone else think this strip is classic? This is one of my all-time favorites if not my favorite. Bravo!

Giorgos

Postby Giorgos » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:10 am UTC

No Picnic wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else think this strip is classic? This is one of my all-time favorites if not my favorite. Bravo!

It very much approaches classic, but only when you get to the Alt-text....

Maratanos

Postby Maratanos » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:14 am UTC

Wikipedia. I'm sorry. But this isn't "xkcd vs. the Wiki nazis". This isn't a game, this isn't even sensible. This is vandalism. Repeated vandalism by xkcd fanboys. Yes, I like xkcd. Shockingly, however, many people do not. If every single article on wikipedia had a list of every single reference to the topic matter from every single webcomic in existence, "Dungeons and Dragons" would be five miles tall.

Now I agree that xkcd is a great strip, and I agree that Wikipedia is rather over-pedantic regarding the rules, but come on. It's because of things like this that they've adopted policies like that. Abuse of the rules leads to more stringent interpretation of the rules.

I shouldn't have to ask for a semiprotect on a Wikipedia page just so that it doesn't get vandalized everytime Randall sees fit to mention it.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:08 am UTC

GiantSnowman wrote:I watched one or two episodes of Firefly, but I just couldn't suspend my disbelief. They were happy about salvaging a powerbar from a spaceship at the expense of how much fuel? And then there was that overly cliché totalitarian government on one side opposed to the cannibalistic space-zombies. Way too black and white. Maybe I should see it as fantasy instead of sf?

It's not hard sf. It's the kind of sf that comes from an author whose main prior experience is writing comic books and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. If you wanted hard sf, watching television was your first mistake.

On the other hand, the dialogue is hilariously witty, and the science mistakes really aren't worse than any other sci-fi TV series I've seen.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Archangel

Postby Archangel » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:46 am UTC

Loved the comic. Couldn't help but feel how owned I'd feel if that happened to me.

skeptical scientist wrote:It's not hard sf. It's the kind of sf that comes from an author whose main prior experience is writing comic books and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. If you wanted hard sf, watching television was your first mistake.

On the other hand, the dialogue is hilariously witty, and the science mistakes really aren't worse than any other sci-fi TV series I've seen.

I'd contend that the science is actually closer to reality than any other sci-fi TV series I can conveniently think of. No sound in space, no travelling faster than light....
We won't talk about how they have gravity on Serenity :-)

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:07 am UTC

Gravity plating. Ever played Garry's Mod with Life Support Mod? ;)
Geek code:

sea otter

Postby sea otter » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

GiantSnowman wrote:I watched one or two episodes of Firefly, but I just couldn't suspend my disbelief. They were happy about salvaging a powerbar from a spaceship at the expense of how much fuel? And then there was that overly cliché totalitarian government on one side opposed to the cannibalistic space-zombies. Way too black and white. Maybe I should see it as fantasy instead of sf?

heh heh heh - not so black and white. rent the movie, 'Serenity'

and we don't know what they use for fuel - that power bar doesn't spoil and can feed a family for what, a month? And that family might be on a planet with a drought that year.

it's sci-fi but with horses and Buddha and the occasional plot device but no sound in space. :)

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

First, it wasn't only one of those powerbars but rather a crate or two of them. Worth quite a lot of money. And second, well, Firefly might be a bit black and white, a bit blurred at the edges, if you know what I mean. (Serenity's crew itself is not always "good")

And, apart from that, Firefly is still way less black and white than Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate and, well, most other SciFi serials and movies.

By the way, Serenity (the movie) is not quite as good as Firefly, I think. Not bad at all, but most of the things they did different from the serial, they did worse. I liked that whole stuff about behavioural conditioning, but they shouldn't have done most of the other changes, especially those to Dr. Tam's personality.
Geek code:

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

Life, or the internet anyway, imitates xkcd.
http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/bonobo-conspiracy/?i=939
check the comment thread.

Summer Glau

Postby Summer Glau » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

Best comic ever. :)

luketheduke
Sour Kraut

Postby luketheduke » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

Now I just hope we won't get that odd office chair / bobcat phenomenon all over again.

Wouldn't mind some people killed by brains, though.
As long as I know how to love / I know I'll stay alive /
'cause I've got all my life to live / and I've got all my love to give / and I'll survive /
I will survive

AdamC

Postby AdamC » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... to_studies

It would appear the strip is right: It IS very satisfying.

muteKi

Postby muteKi » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

3_of_8 wrote:By the way, Serenity (the movie) is not quite as good as Firefly, I think. Not bad at all, but most of the things they did different from the serial, they did worse. I liked that whole stuff about behavioural conditioning, but they shouldn't have done most of the other changes, especially those to Dr. Tam's personality.

Controversial though this may be, I have to second this statement.

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

Yeah, I love to be controversial. Bad thing about it, most time I'm so controversial noone at all wants to second my statements.

Anyway, worst thing about Serenity is that with that crappy end they finally did eliminate each and every possibility for a proper second season of Firefly, as long as they want to keep continuity with the film. Well, at least that's what I think. I don't wanna go spoilering right now, but I think those who already saw the film will know what I mean.
Geek code:

SD-Knex

Postby SD-Knex » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

Wonderful strip! When I watched the Star Trek TNG episode "Elementary, Dear Data" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_Dear_Data) where a hologram fears his death through discontinuing of his program, and I thereafter decided to check xkcd (http://xkcd.com/390/), I was thoroughly flabbergasted and almost about to register here. Now I actually did, for this current strip let me no choice.

Allotheism happens to be among my favorite religions for quite some time now, so I feel obliged to vindicate it. The only problem is that I'm allergic to errors which are even likelier to occur as my native language varies from English.
So please do what you do best and enjoy yourself by correcting any mistakes you detect.

Allotheism - defined as the worship of strange gods - is based upon the sole principle continuously chaperoning mankind's amelioration: To ambitiously forgo the habitual liberate humanity's potentiality! Still for this artifice of evolution to prosper it is but essential to disunite with any biased animosity against heterodoxy and even iconoclasm lest one be entangled in as forlorn as fatuous devotion. Hence convert.

(What I wanted to say is that different is fun.)
Silk for Caldé!

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:24 am UTC

SD-Knex wrote:Allotheism

Sounds like a religion worshipping allosauruses. Allosauri. Whichever/both.

Which would be oddly appropriate for this site..

GCM

Postby GCM » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:19 am UTC

3_of_8 wrote:Gravity plating. Ever played Garry's Mod with Life Support Mod? ;)

What is that?

luketheduke wrote:Now I just hope we won't get that odd office chair / bobcat phenomenon all over again.

Wouldn't mind some people killed by brains, though.

Why ever not? The world deserves to be weirder. It's way too normal at the moment.
I almost got my uncle (who's sells quite a lot of music on eBay) to do that. Only problem; we didn't exactly have a bobcat. And I forget, does eBay allow pets or not?

Jamaican Castle wrote:
SD-Knex wrote:Allotheism

Sounds like a religion worshipping allosauruses. Allosauri. Whichever/both.

Which would be oddly appropriate for this site..

Yes. Totally. We should get shrines and pray to them to step on all who stand in the way. 8)
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:31 am UTC

GCM wrote:

What is that?

It's a mod for Half Life 2 where you can build all kinds of stuff, spaceships, for example. And gravity plating is a tool with which you can create gravity in a spaceship.
Geek code:

GCM

Postby GCM » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

3_of_8 wrote:
GCM wrote:

What is that?

It's a mod for Half Life 2 where you can build all kinds of stuff, spaceships, for example. And gravity plating is a tool with which you can create gravity in a spaceship.

So, you can build textures and in-world objects and stuff?

Also, I'd watch Firefly, but we don't get it here.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Frank77

Postby Frank77 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

jdmack wrote:
Aradae wrote:Though not as elaborate as Randall has described, I usually attack ignorant posters with a 3 to 5 paragraph Perry Cox-esque rant.

?????

Perry Cox, the world's foremost Beatles collecting expert? What sort of rants does he post?

Scrubs!

Frank77

Postby Frank77 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

Black and white? I thought all the drama was anything BUT black and white. It's not a story of good vs. evil or absolutes. There is very little pure good going on, it's not about taking sides, and siding with a lesser evil if you have to take a side. It's a story about survival in the margins of a universe that doesn't want you to survive, where you sometimes have to get your hands dirty to do that.

Frank77

Postby Frank77 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

moxmallow wrote:Well it's 10:00pm here in California, and I'm wondering if it's too late to run out and see if our local Blockbusters has Firefly...

If you like the first disc, you might as well keep an eye out for the set. I've seen the entire set new for $20 many places.

GCM wrote:Also, I'd watch Firefly, but we don't get it here.

It's not airing anymore, been gone for many years now. I guess Universal has their own cable channel in some places where it's occasionally re-run. It is on DVD though, as I mentioned, pretty cheaply now as DVD sets generally do drop in price after a few years.
Last edited by Frank77 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Melkarion

Postby Melkarion » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

Kamikazee wrote:Isn't it a sin if you havn't watched firefly/serenity?

I wouldn't say it's a sin per se, but I do habitually ask uninitiated friends and acquantances the following simple question as a litmus test if they voice uncertainties as to whether they'll enjoy watching the series for the first time.

"Well, do you have a soul?"

(No offense to the Soulless, I personally have only about half mine left.)
"... for a man to understand what he himself says is one thing, and to understand himself in what is said is something else." -Soren K.

An ironic motto of sorts:
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit. -W. Somerset Maugham.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:04 pm UTC

Mo6eB wrote:Am... Am I the only one here who doesn't found Summer Glau all that attractive (excluding individuals not sexually attracted to the physique of human females, of course)? She is pleasing to the eye, but if I may make a chocolate analogy - she's about as good as a nice bar of Milka. Milka is fine, of course, better than bad, but worse than excellent. Now Jewel Staite, on the other hand, is like Lindt Excellence Intense Mint - excellent, veering into dangerously seductive. Seriously - don't you people find Jewel Staite more beautiful than Summer Glau? There must be a poll on this.

I think Summer is pretty but not as hot as many people seem to think.
Jewel Staite, on the other hand ... oh WOW. :oops:
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:14 pm UTC

Yeah, count me in!
Geek code:

sea otter

Postby sea otter » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

3_of_8 wrote:By the way, Serenity (the movie) is not quite as good as Firefly, I think. Not bad at all, but most of the things they did different from the serial, they did worse. I liked that whole stuff about behavioural conditioning, but they shouldn't have done most of the other changes, especially those to Dr. Tam's personality.

I have to agree with this assessment of the film too - I don't know if your comment was partly in response to my post - I was trying to indicate that the movie further blurred the line between the black and white (through a discovery/realization) but didn't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen the film yet.

But the series seemed much more focused than the film, which had an air of 'wow, we're really doing this, huh? yay!' Not sure what you mean regarding the change to Simon's personality -- he seemed less naive or awkward to me -- was that your impression as well?

3_of_8 wrote:Anyway, worst thing about Serenity is that with that crappy end they finally did eliminate each and every possibility for a proper second season of Firefly, as long as they want to keep continuity with the film.

Regarding your second post, I don't think a season 2 of the series after the film was ever a serious consideration since, by that point, a number of them were working on other projects that would conflict with that kind of commitment. I'm still hoping for a Big Damn Sequel, myself.

edit :: to add quote from another post

muteKi

Postby muteKi » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:29 am UTC

vqcg wrote:I think Summer is pretty but not as hot as many people seem to think.
Jewel Staite, on the other hand ... oh WOW. :oops:

I still don't get it. Am I the only one showing the love for Morena Baccarin (Inara)?

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:06 am UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:(Also, "Summer Glau." I wonder if that was just totally random if there's some method to that madness.)

There are people on xkcd who haven't watched Firefly? Is that allowed?

I had not heard of either Firefly or Summer Glau before this comic. And I hadn't heard of Jewel Staite before reading this thread. :)

As a bonus, I understand "Action Movies" a bit better now.

I do think this comic could have been improved somewhat by the simple expedient of adding "My Hobby:" to the start. Well, and probably making a few minor grammatical changes to fit in with that.

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:45 am UTC

muteKi wrote:
Aglet wrote:Seems Randall has quite the crush on Summer Glau.

AS SHOULD WE ALL.

Sorry, I'm too busy having a crush on Morena Baccarin.

I have a crush on Alan Tudyk.

And I'm a guy. And I'm straight.

I know, I'm as confused as you are. :P
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

@sea otter: Well, less naive, yes. But also more aggressive. You could of course argue he adapted to the rest of the crew. But I liked him more when he wasn't going round punching people in the face. :lol: Oh yes, and in the serial he said something completely different about the rescue of his sister. (Hope that's not spoilering, I guess not)
And I do know there probably never really was a serious consideration of a second season. But, frankly, would anyone of us ever admit? :lol:
Geek code:

nuggetmonkey

Postby nuggetmonkey » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:30 pm UTC

You can watch it right now, if you would like.

********************************************************************************************************************************************
********************************************************************************************************************************************

http://www.hulu.com/firefly

(I haven't.)

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

Only works from the US, I'm afraid.
Geek code:

frieze

Postby frieze » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:50 pm UTC

3_of_8

Postby 3_of_8 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

Bloody hell. Now tell me: Did you use one of those rant generators or did you actually write that stuff on your own?
Geek code:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”