0417: "The Man Who Fell Sideways"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sandals

Re: "The Man Who Fell Sideways" Discussion

Postby Sandals » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

almitydave wrote:"Congratulations, ma'am, you have a healthy bouncing baby girl."

"Well, you did have, but there she goes....." :wink:

I do like the absurd nature of some of these comics. Much better than the insanely computer related ones that I have no idea about....
Benfrenchman wrote:*I'm not sure why I used rad here... unless.... *checks clock* No, wait, it's not 1997. I guess I'm just an idiot.

podbaydoor wrote:Oral Sex might be the shortstop position.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

Besides all the puns, cleverness, and Lion King, this slightly reminded me of rolling up a hill. Although it reminds more of a day, maybe two years ago, that I swore the Earth was tilted funny or something was up..maybe it was just gravity.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

Linux0s wrote:
Random832 wrote:
Linux0s wrote:And apparently alternate gravity is a dominant gene.

Or it's recessive and the mother is a carrier.

But the dominant allele masks the recessive one. And it's the father who is falling about.

If the mother is a carrier, it means she has one dominant and one recessive. The dominant (not sideways) masks the recessive (sideways), but she could pass the recessive (sideways) to the kid instead of the dominant (not sideways), meaning the kid could fall sideways without the mother also doing so.

dysaniak

Postby dysaniak » Thu May 01, 2008 1:29 am UTC

Wow! I used to think about this all the time. It would be totally weird... I just... I couldn't stand it, I don't think. I don't know what I'd do... Though as long as I wasn't at risk of drifting out to space...

MicaB

Postby MicaB » Thu May 01, 2008 2:58 am UTC

All I could think of when I saw this comic was David Bowie.

The Man Who Fell To Earth which is a completely RIDICULOUS and entirely worthwhile independent film starring DAVID BOWIE and costarring David Bowie's crotch.

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Thu May 01, 2008 3:40 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:
Kalos wrote:I'm going to feel sorry for this poor girl's developmental years as she flies naked around the earth, awkwardly searching for her father.
I imagine she'd grab some clothes along the way. I hate to think how one goes to the bathroom in this situation though. o_O

Go into a headfirst dive and just relax.
Escherspace rocks.

But I expected a reference to the Ender's Game scene, on the shuttle.
Spoiler:
Graff standing upside down and sideways on the ceiling in zero g.

But maybe that was just me. Gravity is cool.
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

Lenary

Postby Lenary » Thu May 01, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

dysaniak wrote:Wow! I used to think about this all the time. It would be totally weird... I just... I couldn't stand it, I don't think. I don't know what I'd do... Though as long as I wasn't at risk of drifting out to space...

of course you couldn't stand it, you'd be winging your way around the earth all the time...there'd be no opportunity to stop and stand...
My Tumblog

[imath]you = me (awesome + clothes)[/imath]
solve for awesome if you're a hot girl
Spoiler:
[imath]awesome = \frac{you}{me} - clothes[/imath]

Postby Alter » Thu May 01, 2008 12:33 pm UTC

There is a comicbook too on this topic. It's written by Peeters and Schuiten, two Belgian authors. You find it at http://www.amazon.com/Mary-pench%C3%A9e-Fran%C3%A7ois-Schuiten/dp/2203553448/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209644275&sr=1-15. It is called Mary la penchée in French, or Het scheve kind in Dutch. Which translates roughly as Inclined Mary or The inclined child. It is about a girl who is always leaning sideways, as if gravity works at a different angle on her. And indeed when invetsigated closely, she turns out to be attracted by a therefore unkown planet, and an expedition to the planets then starts. It is a good comic, you should read it once. It is part of a series called The Dark Cities, that is definitely worthwhile reading.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Thu May 01, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

It's a good excuse for when you've been out drinking.

"Honestly officer, I'm not drunk. It's just that my personal gravity is erratic."
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

HalfWayDownTheStairs

Postby HalfWayDownTheStairs » Thu May 01, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

I love this, but wouldn't they both stop falling when they hit a bit of sloped ground or something?? I know it can be irratic, but it would have to get a particular rhythem going to cause them to bounce the way they are.

Not that it really matters; still a great comic!

Also, I wonder what effect all this bumping and bouncing is having on the angular momentum of the earth?
Ok, who ate the Peanut of Doom?

UnderRock

Postby UnderRock » Thu May 01, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

0.0 I've imagined scenarios like this so many times!
I'll be the nth reader to say, get outta my head!

And I LOVE this comic! XD

Vir4030

Postby Vir4030 » Thu May 01, 2008 4:42 pm UTC

Hey, if Jumper can be a movie, so can Sideways.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu May 01, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:She says she was knocked over, but from his perspective, she was knocked up.

I can't believe I got in first with that one! Wheee!

Small point: If she was knocked up (according to his perspective), She'd need to be knocked to the left in ours. If anything, she'd knocked to our right, which in his perspective, is down.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

TomBot

Postby TomBot » Thu May 01, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but... hang gliders! In fact, that's probably overkill - he only needs a glide ratio of 1/sqrt(3) = .58:1 to stay aloft. Wikipedia says you can get .8:1 freefalling, so really all he needs to do is wait for a flat area, jump up, point himself forward and arch his back.

It must be embarrassing for him that he could fly for his whole life and is just learning it now.

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Thu May 01, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

First post, so I thought I'd immediately endear myself with the indigenous populace by questioning the physics of the strip. :roll: Instead of perpetually falling, wouldn't it be more like standing on a perpetually inclined plane (60 degrees, since he's 30)? I mean, if it was 89 degrees, then yeah, I could see it working out the way it was working, but 30? Maybe 85 even.

No, seriously, I do love the strip, and I particularly enjoyed the perpetual "aaaaaa" in just about every frame.

Oh, and hi everyone, I love xkcd, I've been aware of the "someone's wrong on the internet" strip for a long time, but only recently discovered many others.
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

peterpan02001
Location: Right there...no, not there, over that way...yeah, right ther...no, the other way...

Postby peterpan02001 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

I've noticed a few things. I think that they may have been mentioned before, but I doing this anyway.
1) The first panel states that gravity pulls him 30 degrees off horizontal. Since gravity does not pull him directly sideways, shouldn't he be able to balance himself against the ground so that he could stand straight up like everyone else. This assumes that his gravity it equal to the normal gravity of Earth. Since he seems unable to do counteract the force, does this mean that gravity is extra strong for him?
2) The second panel states that his gravity changes directions. Does the force stay the same (referring to above)? Does it only change in the East/West plane?
3) He copulated with a woman in the space of a few seconds. I don't know the exact facts behind that kind of science, but I don't think that the human body is able to respond that quickly. Does this imply that he saw that he was approaching her and was prepared, or does he more erotic "adaptations" besides his erratic gravity?
3a) If he was prepared for her, why did he not prepare for the rocks and whatnot in the earlier panels? Could he not just step over them? (I know, I'm thinking to much into it, but I'd really like to grind out the fundementals of this comic universe; to make it as real as possible).

Ninja'd. Damn.
Last edited by peterpan02001 on Fri May 02, 2008 12:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
A little less hypocrisy and a little more tolerance towards oneself can only have good results in respect for our neighbor; for we are all too prone to transfer to our fellows the injustice and violence we inflict upon our own natures.
Carl Jung

Jiggsy

Postby Jiggsy » Thu May 01, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:...I had just spent my Sunday reading the entire archive. It's a nice comic...

[plug]

About two weeks after the famed April Fool's switch Jeph & Randall pulled on us, i started reading QC. It's a shameless plug here, i know, but i love it. QC & XKCD have become the only two webcomics i check on a regular basis, and only go to my 'back-up' (read: not as good) webcomics when i'm completely up to date with both these two...

[/plug]

That said, i think the idea of conceiving scipts in collabaration with other authors is the greatest idea ever.
Oh, Miss Pacman, I would sex that bow right off your head. Eat those dots you naughty, naughty girl.- The Todd

ellecee

Postby ellecee » Thu May 01, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

Am I the only one who was underwhelmed by this one? Kinda cute, kinda meh.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Thu May 01, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

This is one of my favorite strips ever. Just sayin'.

strongsad711

Postby strongsad711 » Thu May 01, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

Would the baby fall at 15 degrees, instead of the father's 30?

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Fri May 02, 2008 12:05 am UTC

peterpan02001 wrote:I've noticed a few things. I think that they may have been mentioned before, but I doing this anyway.
1) The first panel states that gravity pulls him 30 degrees off horizontal. Since gravity does not pull him directly sideways, shouldn't he be able to balance himself against the ground so that he could stand straight up like everyone else. This assumes that his gravity it equal to the normal gravity of Earth. Since he seems unable to do counteract the force, does this mean that gravity is extra strong for him?
I beat you by one post (see right above yours), but no, other than that, it hasn't been mentioned before, not that I found. But thanks for making me feel like I wasn't the only one who felt that way! 8)
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

peterpan02001
Location: Right there...no, not there, over that way...yeah, right ther...no, the other way...

Postby peterpan02001 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:19 am UTC

Sorry, Dusty Chalk, I read your post, just misunderstood it.
A little less hypocrisy and a little more tolerance towards oneself can only have good results in respect for our neighbor; for we are all too prone to transfer to our fellows the injustice and violence we inflict upon our own natures.
Carl Jung

Syphon

Postby Syphon » Fri May 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC

Jiggsy wrote:
GodShapedBullet wrote:...I had just spent my Sunday reading the entire archive. It's a nice comic...

[plug]

About two weeks after the famed April Fool's switch Jeph & Randall pulled on us, i started reading QC. It's a shameless plug here, i know, but i love it. QC & XKCD have become the only two webcomics i check on a regular basis, and only go to my 'back-up' (read: not as good) webcomics when i'm completely up to date with both these two...

[/plug]

That said, i think the idea of conceiving scipts in collabaration with other authors is the greatest idea ever.

QC is a soap opera for teenagers. :p

TGGeko

Postby TGGeko » Fri May 02, 2008 1:11 am UTC

peterpan02001 wrote:I've noticed a few things. I think that they may have been mentioned before, but I doing this anyway.
2) The second panel states that his gravity changes directions. Does the force stay the same (referring to above)? Does it only change in the East/West plane?
3) He copulated with a woman in the space of a few seconds. I don't know the exact facts behind that kind of science, but I don't think that the human body is able to respond that quickly. Does this imply that he saw that he was approaching her and was prepared, or does he more erotic "adaptations" besides his erratic gravity?
3a) If he was prepared for her, why did he not prepare for the rocks and whatnot in the earlier panels? Could he not just step over them? (I know, I'm thinking to much into it, but I'd really like to grind out the fundementals of this comic universe; to make it as real as possible).

Ninja'd. Damn.

seriously, you people take these things way too far. You take a humorous/cute comic and turn it into a physics thread. Im not too much surprised ( I dont do that) seeing the nature of XKCD, but come on!
"She's hot and funny, what more could you want?"
"A sammich, thats what"

peterpan02001

Postby peterpan02001 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:45 am UTC

I know that its just a comic, I guess I'm just nerdy enough to like to think about these interesting, if whimsical, situations and try to figure it out. Its kind of like trying to solve a triangle with a >180 degree angle.
Last edited by peterpan02001 on Fri May 02, 2008 2:38 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Carl Jung

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri May 02, 2008 1:48 am UTC

TGGeko wrote:seriously, you people take these things way too far.

You say that like it's a bad thing... :?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Taerinshar

Postby Taerinshar » Fri May 02, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Argh, getting into the discussion late here, but here are two awesome sideways videos that I don't think have been mentioned yet (the pepsi ad is pretty fantastic though)

Rob Dougan - Furious Angels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDi9OeJqwG4

Shaun Micallef skit from the Australian Micallef show: Absolutely hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqEjatCSe0

Enjoy

R.K.

Postby R.K. » Fri May 02, 2008 6:13 am UTC

A sixty degree incline is pretty steep. I doubt he could stand for long without tiring, especially since that's about the limit to how far feet and toes can extend. He only has to slip once to fall infinitely far.

peterpan02001 wrote:2) The second panel states that his gravity changes directions. Does the force stay the same (referring to above)? Does it only change in the East/West plane?
3) He copulated with a woman in the space of a few seconds. I don't know the exact facts behind that kind of science, but I don't think that the human body is able to respond that quickly. Does this imply that he saw that he was approaching her and was prepared, or does he have more [erratic] "adaptations" besides his [erotic] gravity?

Ninja'd. Damn.

If he tries to step over a large rock, he has empty space beneath himself.
[citation needed]

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri May 02, 2008 6:31 am UTC

peterpan02001 wrote:I know that its just a comic, I guess I'm just nerdy enough to like to think about these interesting, if whimsical, situations and try to figure it out. Its kind of like trying to solve a triangle with a >180 degree angle.

<slur type="drunken">yew call that a triangle?</slur>

(Also, Firefox says yew is a word. O_o)
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

masher

Postby masher » Fri May 02, 2008 6:34 am UTC

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri May 02, 2008 8:21 am UTC

Taerinshar wrote:Shaun Micallef skit from the Australian Micallef show: Absolutely hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqEjatCSe0

When you said "Micallef", I thought it was going to be this...

Yours is good too, though, I hadn't seen that one... must've been uncomfortable on the sofa though, with the head downhill...

[he/him/his]

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Fri May 02, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

ig0r wrote:Yes, and what a tale 'twas! :D The Finnish version works even better than the original, at least for a native Finnish-speaker to whom the Kalevala jargon is quite familiar as is the Gallen-Kallela's artwork Rosa got some of his inspiration from.

The German translator did a superb job as well. I can't help reading the free verse aloud to make sure it all fits the meter (which it does). I especially love the parts where they suddenly get colloquial: "Now the sweepings from the stable / Are about to strike the windmill." "If you wish, in twain I'll cleave him / But I warn you, that gets messy." "Uh-oh, now I am most ver'ly / Up the glacier without snowshoes." The translator managed to preserve most of the humor in these, incredibly.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

nescalona

Postby nescalona » Sat May 03, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

I don't really see why this guy keeps falling. A flat surface with gravity at 30° is just like going down a 30° slope with normal gravity; in other words, not that hard.

Also, you'd only get something like 15° angles if we're talking about the action of several different genes combining, as with hair color. According to my basic understanding of genetics.

On a more interesting note, you should be able to sequence the gene(s) involved and stick them in bacteria. You could then inject the proteins into people for a temporary gravity change, to scalable effect. I will make millions off of my gravity potion.

Now to capture Sideways Man and his daughter, and cackle while performing genetic experiments.

R.K.

Postby R.K. » Sat May 03, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

nescalona wrote:I don't really see why this guy keeps falling. A flat surface with gravity at 30° is just like going down a 30° slope with normal gravity; in other words, not that hard.

His gravity is 30° from horizontal, which makes level ground equivalent to a slope 30° from vertical, or a 60° incline.
[citation needed]

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Sun May 04, 2008 6:12 am UTC

Genetic theory would imply 15 degrees or seemingly random if a cluster of genes, or 30 degrees, zero degrees, or seemingly random if the effect is caused by a single dominant/recessive genetic tag.

The gravity thing is probably not caused by genetics anyway, but it could be caused by an unusual subatomic structure or other unexplored area of science (unusually charged quarks, leptons, other component particles, even "gravitons"). The effect would change the component matter of what he eats or breathes so that the gravity would continue it's unusual effect on him.
-molecules exhaled or left as dust when dead skin sheds could cause erratic wind patterns
-effect could be passed to offspiring, not through genetic codes, but through the component matter of the genetic material. During stage where child is just a small lump of stem cells, the gravitational effect could increase, stay the same, or have a seemingly random effect, or the child could be falling perpendicular to gravity because she didn;t have as much gravity-regular matter ingested into her system as the father. As it would likely take a noticeable amount of time for gravity-regular matter to have the falling sideways effect, this could be what keeps the man falling at 60 degrees instead of ninety. Also, it is possible that matter must be assimilated into the very cell structure of the being to have the full sideways gravity efffect, and undigested materials such as fiber or grit would react to gravity in a perfectly normal way. what a rather digusting thought with which to end this hypothesis.

Also, as a side note, he could sleep by leaning against buildings, telephone poles, that sort of thing.
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Sun May 04, 2008 11:51 am UTC

Can you balance yourself on a slope of 60°? Because I can't without holding on to something.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

serviett

Postby serviett » Sun May 04, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

In reply to the fantastic tilted-studio video, here's a famous (in Norway) sketch from the comedy show Team Antonsen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEZ1ZVUjoHo

What makes this hilarious (apart from the obvious) is the way they're talking, trying to make it sound like a completely normal cooking program, but often pointing out that "when cooking, things easily get messy" and "I see you don't need very much of this ingredient.."

Ingridents are (in order of appearance) sliced potatoes, sliced onion, high-fat (and then low-fat) milk, and then grated cheese.

"And remember, you're not done until you've cleaned up everything"

Xpodmaniac
Location: 1 foot in front of a yard behind 24 inches in front of me

Postby Xpodmaniac » Sun May 04, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

arrenlex wrote:
ModerateClasshole wrote:Winner of the "Most Panels in a Single Comic" award goes to.... :mrgreen:

Pete from Sluggy Freelance.

I agree. I had to hit page down FIVE TIMES before I got to the bottom of that one.

But as for an XKCD comic, I think this one wins.
It is now 15 minutes before an hour after 45 minutes ago.

Spoiler:
By reading this message, I have been given brief control over your mind.

STAGE ONE IS COMPLETE. PREPARE FOR STAGE TWO.

RELEASE THE RAPTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND STALLMAN!!!!! ON A RAPTOR!!!!!

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sun May 04, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

Xpodmaniac wrote:But as for an XKCD comic, I think this one wins.

phlip wrote:Nope... that honour goes to Godel, Escher, Kurt Halsey, by a large margin.

That one's got around 35 panels... depending on what you call a "panel".

[he/him/his]

apeman5291

Re: Possible future spoiler alert

Postby apeman5291 » Mon May 05, 2008 1:49 am UTC

caterpillar wrote:Now I am waiting for

Spoiler:
part 2 of the bouncing brick joke redux

Is that the one where:

Spoiler:
They look out the window of the plane, and see the brick in some fashion or another?

I didn't even think of that.
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”