0419: "Forks and Spoons"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Robin S

0419: "Forks and Spoons"

Postby Robin S » Mon May 05, 2008 4:07 am UTC

Alt text: Their biggest mistake was bringing Rachael Ray and Emeril to tour the lab and sign off on the project. That's when Spielberg caught wind of it.

The genius of xkcd is to see something awesome, like a spork, and take it to its logical, even more awesome, conclusion.

And, of course, to involve Jurassic Park.
Last edited by Robin S on Mon May 05, 2008 4:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Re: "Forks and Spoons" Discussion

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon May 05, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Genetically-engineered killer sporks.

Cool, but where are the zombie-virus sporks?

Also, frist ps0t!
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Mon May 05, 2008 4:09 am UTC

Remember kids: Spooning leads to forking all knife long!
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Mon May 05, 2008 4:09 am UTC

And you're only one genetic mutation away from a foon.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon May 05, 2008 4:10 am UTC

What a bold stance taken by this comic.

I thought the blending theory of inheritance was all but discredited.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Mon May 05, 2008 4:11 am UTC

Linux0s wrote:And you're only one genetic mutation away from a foon.

Then a "fook."
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

Weaver

Postby Weaver » Mon May 05, 2008 4:13 am UTC

On a military forum to which I belong, people have often discussed killing the enemy with a spork.

It's viewed as one of the best pieces of equipment available, right up there with the poncho liner and the neck gaitor.

Silas

Postby Silas » Mon May 05, 2008 4:14 am UTC

I didn't realize there was a fifth panel, at first. I thought it was better that way.
Felstaff wrote:Serves you goddamned right. I hope you're happy, Cake Ruiner

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon May 05, 2008 4:15 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:What a bold stance taken by this comic.

Not necessarily the implication. Spooniness vs. forkiness could be determined by multiple genes, like height. When a really tall guy and a really short girl have a medium-height baby, it's not evidence for the blending theory.

Edit: when I say "baby" you can assume it is a figure of speech and the "baby" is grown to full height now and not be a smartass. =P
Last edited by Darcey on Mon May 05, 2008 4:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Mon May 05, 2008 4:17 am UTC

I can only assume that it is referencing this

Your.Master

Postby Your.Master » Mon May 05, 2008 4:18 am UTC

Tell me more of this baby that is taller than its mother.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Mon May 05, 2008 4:21 am UTC

you call that a fork this is a fork

what happens when my spoon gets too big?

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon May 05, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Darcey wrote:
GodShapedBullet wrote:What a bold stance taken by this comic.

Not necessarily the implication. Spooniness vs. forkishness could be determined by multiple genes, like height. When a really tall guy and a really short girl have a medium-height baby, it's not evidence for the blending theory.

True, but the data shown in the graph seems to suggest that when spoons and forks mate, they simply split the different between their spooniness and forkishness exactly.

That seems awfully blendy to me.

Also, if it was a multiple gene trait, I doubt the researcher would be so confident about the accuracy to which she could breed, unless she had somehow DECODED THE SPORK GENOME.

It's also interesting that spooniness + forkishness seems to have to equal 1.

Also, medium sized babies are usually not taller than small sized women, Your.Master. Just so you know.
Last edited by GodShapedBullet on Mon May 05, 2008 4:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Geogriffith

Postby Geogriffith » Mon May 05, 2008 4:28 am UTC

By ignoring generational barriers, one could free themselves of the "binary" restriction. Of course, that would then set you up for all sorts of Oedipal Forx jokes, and that would be awful.

I'd have to gouge out my eyes with some sort of dull, scooping mechanism.

Editer

Postby Editer » Mon May 05, 2008 4:29 am UTC

A propos of nothing, I once had a job delivering pizzas and made frequent trips to a street contractor on the edge of town named Cutler Repaving.

I always read it as "Cutlery Paving" and decided they were the people who put the forks in the road.
These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon May 05, 2008 4:29 am UTC

What is a binary fraction, exactly? Just something that's 1/(2^n) where n is an integer?

HPDDJ

Postby HPDDJ » Mon May 05, 2008 4:30 am UTC

At first I didn't see the bloody spork spawn hopping away at the end. I think it would have been more dramatic without it.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Mon May 05, 2008 4:33 am UTC

But less Jurassic Park-esque, and therefore less funny.

Geogriffith wrote:By ignoring generational barriers, one could free themselves of the "binary" restriction. Of course, that would then set you up for all sorts of Oedipal Forx jokes, and that would be awful.

Fortunately for us, the dyadic fractions are dense in the reals, so that won't be necessary.

GodShapedBullet wrote:What is a binary fraction, exactly? Just something that's 1/(2^n) where n is an integer?
Yes, although they're more properly called dyadic fractions (or dyadic rationals).

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Mon May 05, 2008 4:36 am UTC

DIdnt quite get the alt text, after a short wikipedia, i came to the decision that the brit version should read
Alt Alt text: things were going fine till they invited Gordon Ramsay to endorse it, thats when things went fucking crazy!

p.s swearing is obligatory when talking about gordon, who btw is much cooler than rachel :P
although being accused of "endorsing crack for kids" is fairly cool, i mean they just frikin dounuts, and youve not even seen suggestive till you've seen Nigela
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Mon May 05, 2008 4:38 am UTC

we.
are.
doomed.

Ratclaw

Postby Ratclaw » Mon May 05, 2008 4:46 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:What is a binary fraction, exactly? Just something that's 1/(2^n) where n is an integer?

I think it might include fractions that don't have one in the numerator. Like 3/4.

Having made my math-related comment, I can now say:

Anyone else find the position of the female scientist... improbable? Like, how would someone be attacked by a nine-inch utensil and then land like that? That's like, a post-explosion position. I kind of wish I could see the choreographed scene.

I notice strange, strange things.

spork

Postby spork » Mon May 05, 2008 4:49 am UTC

HPDDJ wrote:At first I didn't see the bloody spork spawn hopping away at the end...

aerojad wrote:we.
are.
doomed.

Yes, yes you are. My people will get their vengeance. :)

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon May 05, 2008 4:51 am UTC

Ratclaw wrote:Anyone else find the position of the female scientist... improbable? Like, how would someone be attacked by a nine-inch utensil and then land like that? That's like, a post-explosion position. I kind of wish I could see the choreographed scene.

You seem to be underestimating the potential power of such a creature/eating utensil.

What about knives? Are they already too murderous or are they secretly the most passive of the cutlery and simply misunderstood?
多么现在棕色母牛?

1800yolk

Postby 1800yolk » Mon May 05, 2008 4:52 am UTC

Are the new viewers gone yet?

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Mon May 05, 2008 4:53 am UTC

Ratclaw wrote:

I think it might include fractions that don't have one in the numerator. Like 3/4.

Having made my math-related comment, I can now say:

i thinks its n/2^m
where n, m are integers
its may not be a rule but usually m > ln [n/2]

Anyone else find the position of the female scientist... improbable? Like, how would someone be attacked by a nine-inch utensil and then land like that? That's like, a post-explosion position. I kind of wish I could see the choreographed scene.

you my friend haven't seen what Spielberg does with sporks its best decribed by
we.
are.
doomed.

edit:
Geogriffith wrote:By ignoring generational barriers, one could free themselves of the "binary" restriction. Of course, that would then set you up for all sorts of Oedipal Forx jokes, and that would be awful.

hu? :? even with cradle snatching everything stays as a power of 2
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

serviett

Postby serviett » Mon May 05, 2008 4:57 am UTC

At first I thought the killer in the last panel looked like a knife. I'm pretty sure that's not the intention of the comic, but I really liked the idea. There are several possible motives; Jealousy (knife + fork are usually more than just friends, as I know them), "ensuring equilibrium" (ever since the spork was invented, the knife has suspected a conspiracy) and "keeping the cutleraces clean" (do not mess with nature) are but a few.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Mon May 05, 2008 5:01 am UTC

I would have thought that sporks were like mules, incredibly useful but sterile.

Damn ninja'd: Also, that the spawn fleeing its first murders (isn't it cute?), looks like a knife to me.

Maybe knives were originally wild and then domesticated like dogs (butter knife=handbag dog, rotweiler=carving knife)?
Last edited by Luthen on Mon May 05, 2008 5:03 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

serviett

Postby serviett » Mon May 05, 2008 5:02 am UTC

^--- hivemind?

Postby 6453893 » Mon May 05, 2008 5:10 am UTC

I love the periodic table in the background of the lab. Because a quick reference chart of the elements is vital to the creation of eating utensils.

Shadowlost

Postby Shadowlost » Mon May 05, 2008 5:15 am UTC

I agree with those saying that the comic is best ended without the final panel. It is just... it's not really all that funny, if I may be honest. I realize that I'm a first time poster, but still.

That being said, I love the first four panels.

Not_a_Spambot

Postby Not_a_Spambot » Mon May 05, 2008 5:22 am UTC

Blame the Scandinavians. They are responsible for this travesty.

Ratclaw wrote:Anyone else find the position of the female scientist... improbable? Like, how would someone be attacked by a nine-inch utensil and then land like that? That's like, a post-explosion position. I kind of wish I could see the choreographed scene.

Maybe she was raped by the spork on the lab bench before it killed her and pushed her body headfirst onto the floor.

I think of strange, strange things...

Edit: Of course, with Rachel Ray and Emiril compromised, The company will have to send in the best utensil fighting team in the world: Martha Stewart and Uri Gellar. River Tam will provide backup.
Last edited by Not_a_Spambot on Mon May 05, 2008 5:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Or something like that.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon May 05, 2008 5:24 am UTC

I like where you are going with this, but Oedipus's eye destruction was done by broaches, not by spoons. I think people talk about gouging eyes out with spoons just because they like the imagery.

serviett

Postby serviett » Mon May 05, 2008 5:26 am UTC

6453893 wrote:I love the periodic table in the background of the lab. Because a quick reference chart of the elements is vital to the creation of eating utensils.

I noticed that, too. I recognize a microscope and a rack of glass tubes as well, gotta love the detail. I'm wondering about the breeding chart on the right - is that a big F on the left part? What does it stand for? Is it related to the mutant killer spork?

shadow_spork

Postby shadow_spork » Mon May 05, 2008 5:29 am UTC

That's one dangerous spork... :shock:

mikau16

Postby mikau16 » Mon May 05, 2008 5:30 am UTC

"you're toying with powerful forces here"

honestly, this really sounds like something Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) would say in Jurassic Park, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Not_a_Spambot

Postby Not_a_Spambot » Mon May 05, 2008 5:35 am UTC

mikau16 wrote:"you're toying with powerful forces here"

honestly, this really sounds like something Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) would say in Jurassic Park, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I can't imagine him providing any thing more than wisecracks and chaos theory until he got mauled. Lagasse and Ray would be the ones pointing out all the mistakes the team was making, only to be proven right in the end.
Or something like that.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Mon May 05, 2008 5:36 am UTC

I've just realized that back at home, we've got a number of spork-spoon hybrids. I'd better warn my parents.

Xbehave wrote:DIdnt quite get the alt text, after a short wikipedia, i came to the decision that the brit version should read
Alt Alt text: things were going fine till they invited Gordon Ramsay to endorse it, thats when things went fucking crazy!
Ah, but then you'd lose the Spielberg reference, which is quintessentially xkcd.
Ratclaw wrote:I think it might include fractions that don't have one in the numerator. Like 3/4.
Oops. Yes, of course.
I suspect more than one culinary implement may have been involved. Maybe these things hunt in packs.
Xbehave wrote:its may not be a rule but usually m > ln [n/2]
If you mean that the numerator is smaller than the denominator, then that should be m > ln(n)/ln(2). And it is indeed not a rule; one common restriction, though, is that m is odd - so that the fraction is written in lowest terms.
Luthen wrote:I would have thought that sporks were like mules, incredibly useful but sterile.
Ah, but every so often a mule is born which is not sterile. And then... chaos ensues...
Not_a_Spambot wrote:The company will have to send in the best utensil fighting team in the world: Martha Stewart and Uri Gellar. River Tam will provide backup.
However, Geller's a proven hoax - the hybrids will make short work of him - and Tam's busy beating up everyone.
Last edited by Robin S on Mon May 05, 2008 5:51 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Contradiction

Postby Contradiction » Mon May 05, 2008 5:50 am UTC

Gee, the lack of humility before nature that's being displayed here, um...staggers me.

Don't you see the danger, uh, John, inherent in what you're doing here? Genetic power's the most awesome force the planet's ever seen, but you wield it like a kid that found his dad's gun.

Now, imagine breeding forks with raptors...

(edit)

Quote from the film - http://www.moviequotes.com/fullquote.cgi?qnum=113090
Last edited by Contradiction on Mon May 05, 2008 6:08 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
“I want to go with the one I love.
I do not want to calculate the cost.
I do not want to think about whether it's good.
I do not want to know whether he loves me.
I want to go with whom I love.”

Bertolt Brecht

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Mon May 05, 2008 5:52 am UTC

Is that quote from the book or the film?

Rhombix

Postby Rhombix » Mon May 05, 2008 5:52 am UTC

Didn't Johnny The Homicidal Maniac already cover the "murdered by a spork" angle?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”