0429: "Fantasy"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TheAbstractor

Re: "Fantasy" Discussion

Postby TheAbstractor » Wed May 28, 2008 10:26 am UTC

Best one in awhile, and that's saying something.

Has Randall ever thought of marketing Valentine's Day cards?

Alexio

Postby Alexio » Wed May 28, 2008 10:54 am UTC

Basically, after reading this one I thought that Randall must be a huge fan of the Horror film 1408. I can't beleive you all missed that because it is blatantly the inspiration for some this and the reason there would be fire involved. Watch the movie, it's awesome.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Wed May 28, 2008 11:19 am UTC

libra wrote:Somehow, I was expecting the dreamer's head to burst into flames in the final panel ...

Yes
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

SimonBob

Postby SimonBob » Wed May 28, 2008 11:25 am UTC

You know it's good, because it got me doodling:

hairorfire.png
I know, the Scribs reference hasn't been topical for maybe a year.
hairorfire.png (94.76 KiB) Viewed 6151 times
The Mammon Industry
Because it can't be art until the gods get the money.

Postby 6453893 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:49 am UTC

AtG wrote:
6453893 wrote: I do this a lot. Before I can fantasize, I often spend so much time building up the situation that I forget about the fantasy I was going to have and veer off into some other train of thought.

Are you a masturbator?

No, just lost in hypotheticals. For instance, after a marathon phoenix wright session, I wondered how awesome it would be to be a lawyer. But I got caught up in imagining having to go back to college, and how I would support myself while I was doing it, etc. etc. I never got to the actual lawyer part.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed May 28, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

I sometimes have recursive fantasies. I imagine what it would be like to be able to visit fictional universes, which normally means I imagine being in The Number Of The Beast or one of the other world as myth stories of Robert Heinlein, then I get distracted by that world and make a little story for myself, which I then need something from a different universe to deal with and it all starts again.

Great comic anyway, one of the best ones.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

BiggAl

Postby BiggAl » Wed May 28, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

I once tried to get my head round recursion, but I never got round to it - I was too busy trying to learn about recursion so I had a starting point...

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed May 28, 2008 3:10 pm UTC

I'm very glad the characters in my dreams don't realise they're products of a deranged mind and start burning things. Having said that, I wish I had a bit more control over them sometimes, so they didn't do all the other stuff.

Great comic, one of the best in a long time.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Wed May 28, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

really cute strip. :)
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

charmuska

Postby charmuska » Wed May 28, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

TheAbstractor wrote:Best one in awhile, and that's saying something.

Has Randall ever thought of marketing Valentine's Day cards?

Well, on the one hand, that might not be a great idea (although it might), but on the other hand, he seems to know just what to say in a situation.
Your friend and mine,
Charmuska

TV4Fun

Postby TV4Fun » Wed May 28, 2008 5:50 pm UTC

I believe a very similar scenario happened in a dream I had last night.
$_[0] wrote:rule 2:
Once a relationship ends, physical access to all relevant machinery is denied.

d3c31t

Postby d3c31t » Wed May 28, 2008 7:20 pm UTC

wow this comic today is soo easy for me to relate to its scary... Did you send the black hat man to steal my dreams and turn them into a comic for everyone to laugh at you evil evil person... seriously though ive had dreams very similar to this... except i was the one burning down the fucking world lol =)
- All war is deception - Sun Tzu

Ezbez

Postby Ezbez » Wed May 28, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

I'd ask where she got the fire, but those sorts of things tend to happen in irrational (un)realities.

Great comic strip.

Aceilooprrtv

Postby Aceilooprrtv » Wed May 28, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

Does the fact that the caharacters in his dreams don't behave as he wants them to make stickfigure guy a madman? I hope not...
Because then I'm a madman, too.
Last edited by Aceilooprrtv on Wed May 28, 2008 8:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Wed May 28, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

A lot of the hypothetical scenarios I plan out in my head end up at "and amazingly enough, I thought this whole thing through yesterday!"

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Wed May 28, 2008 9:39 pm UTC

I love this strip, it did remind me of Hypothetical. It is sort of a reverse of Nightmare, though, in an interesting way.

Ezbez wrote:I'd ask where she got the fire, but those sorts of things tend to happen in irrational (un)realities.

Great comic strip.

The world did not exist but in the mind of the creator, thus she was able to suggest to his ming that she had a torch, and lo, there was a torch, and it woul;d cleanse that hellich place of its unrealistic expectations of the fantastical version of unreality and I'm not really paying attention to this sentence anymore. Burn this sentence with an imaginary torch.
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

strix99

Postby strix99 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

I find it amusing that the character who is having the fantasy thinks agrees with the object of his affection that burning the world is a good idea.

I'm assuming he's encouraging her otherwise I would expect something like "Burn the World?!?!" instead of "BURN THE WORLD!"

Stickfodder
Location: it changes according to my mood i could be here i could be two inches to the left

Postby Stickfodder » Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

Not_a_Spambot wrote:I've often wondered if imaginary characters can break the forth wall and take on a mind of their own. And if so, can they harm the minds/brains that they inhabit, much like a computer virus cripples the very matrix that allows its existence. Can a figment of one's imagination overpower the mind of the person who dreams them to take over their body? Can a virus of this nature... spread, if able to talk someone else into conjuring a similar entity?

Suddenly I sympathize with the machines in The Matrix.

(There is no personality named Harry living in your head. Nope. None whatsoever.) :)

Its called a split personality. sure people joke about them and some people probably think it would be cool, or funny, or a good excuse for odd behavior but in reality they are very destructive to the mind and life of the people who experience them.

Turiya

Postby Turiya » Thu May 29, 2008 12:44 am UTC

strix99 wrote:I find it amusing that the character who is having the fantasy thinks agrees with the object of his affection that burning the world is a good idea.

I'm assuming he's encouraging her otherwise I would expect something like "Burn the World?!?!" instead of "BURN THE WORLD!"

This proves that he has absolutely no control over even the fantasy version of himself, hence the "WTF?" moment at the end... :lol:

Like everyone else here, I've had many "Get out of my head!" moments, and I've long ago come to the conclusion that the reason it all seems so familiar is not that he's inside our heads, but that we are just a part of his demented bacon-fueled dreams. If he ever wakes up... :?:
"Beyond the senses, beyond the understanding, beyond all expression, is The Fourth." --Mandukya Upanishad

GCM

Postby GCM » Thu May 29, 2008 12:56 am UTC

SimonBob wrote:You know it's good, because it got me doodling:

hairorfire.png

My... god... scribs?.... 01001010!
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

thebandit

Postby thebandit » Thu May 29, 2008 2:28 am UTC

Randall needs to get out of my head too. If only.

In panel 5, is the guy cheering her on, or crying something out in disbelief? I can't tell. It makes sense both ways.

jakerman999

Postby jakerman999 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:29 am UTC

and no mention of the profanity? this only the 4th comic to resort to
Spoiler:
"fuck"
(as far as I can remember) and to me, it seems that they have a more distinct touch of humour when working around street language. still,
Warning: this comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors).

interesting twist on my runaway hypothetical scenarios(witch usually end up in knives after http://xkcd.com/248/)

and to whoever threw the idea about us all being figments of someone's imagination, how about we are all characters in a giant video game, something similar to the sim's. and what we call "god" is the player(insert evil laugh)

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu May 29, 2008 2:47 am UTC

jakerman999 wrote:this only the 4th comic to resort to
Spoiler:
"fuck"
(as far as I can remember)

I can find a few more than that (and not every strip's been transcribed, though most have).

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

jdmack

Postby jdmack » Thu May 29, 2008 3:31 am UTC

While many of you are reminded of "Hypotheticals" and "Nightmares," I think this comic is perhaps the prequel of "Garfield" ( http://www.xkcd.com/78/ ).

J. D.

akirjazi

Postby akirjazi » Thu May 29, 2008 7:19 am UTC

jdmack wrote:While many of you are reminded of "Hypotheticals" and "Nightmares," I think this comic is perhaps the prequel of "Garfield" ( http://www.xkcd.com/78/ ).

J. D.

Jim Davis, is that you?

Ferahgo

Postby Ferahgo » Thu May 29, 2008 8:55 am UTC

I've had thoughts very similar to this before.

It's awesome fun destroying imaginary worlds.

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Thu May 29, 2008 9:55 am UTC

I wonder how many people here have fantasies that wave off in a completely unexpected tangent. I would wager a lot. I know I have.

As a kid, I would often fantasize about something, have it head off in a weird direction, and not be able to fantasize about it being otherwise! For example I would be in a building in my fantasy, and then the building collapsed. And with all the willpower in the world I couldn't undo the collapsing of the building, even though it was my fantasy and I should be in control of it.

That hasn't happened to me for many many years though, and in fact I had completely forgotten about it until this comic.
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

protonics

Postby protonics » Thu May 29, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

Some people are better left in the fantasy world as that version is far better than the real one.

Fantasy can never let you down / break promises or plans / say they don't feel the same.

Burn this fucking world down.

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Thu May 29, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

Unforgiven wrote:I wonder how many people here have fantasies that wave off in a completely unexpected tangent. I would wager a lot. I know I have.

As a kid, I would often fantasize about something, have it head off in a weird direction, and not be able to fantasize about it being otherwise! For example I would be in a building in my fantasy, and then the building collapsed. And with all the willpower in the world I couldn't undo the collapsing of the building, even though it was my fantasy and I should be in control of it.

That hasn't happened to me for many many years though, and in fact I had completely forgotten about it until this comic.

Happens to me constantly. One of the most annoying is along the lines of http://www.xkcd.com/230/ (dozing off in the middle of a test thinking about hypothetical applications of the subject, it turns into a hot girl fantasy, then figuring out a revolutionary new application for whatever I was originally thinking about [rarely the test question])
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

dark

Postby dark » Thu May 29, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

phantom wrote:Image

alt text: I guess if she accepted irrational realities, she'd hardly be my fantasy.

Makes me wish I could somehow figure out have to have lucid dreams (and kill people without consequence)

Registered just to comment that someone has figured how to. :mrgreen:

BTW, there are some nice books there that discuss these topics (see this preview of one). And the institute behind this site is actually pretty serious; they are running actual scientific research on dreams. :)

edit: I actually write down my dreams to remember them..

dark

Postby dark » Thu May 29, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

Unforgiven wrote:I wonder how many people here have fantasies that wave off in a completely unexpected tangent. I would wager a lot. I know I have.

Well, I had, sometimes. But now I have non-deterministic, multi-threaded fantasies, just to be able to enjoy some fantasy whenever the foreground fantasy starts not being very nice.

(Yes, I am just a loser in real life)

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Fri May 30, 2008 12:56 am UTC

I often have crazy fantasies such as this..but things end up being with spies..epic spies.

But much more important: Has anyone noticed that the last three comics were about love wanting to work out? I wonder if Mr. Munroe (I don't know if I should just call him Randall like I know him..but yeah..) has had someone on his mind. Or maybe it is just a coincidence. It was a sudden thought.
Well if he does, and if he's reading this, I do hope you can be happy. It sucks wanting someone you could have if only things would work out right. Good luck to you.

But I also could be entirely wrong about this assumption. Anyways...

Edit: So the last three were not entirely about love (and such), but the blogging stars one had similar characters.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Fri May 30, 2008 3:57 am UTC

akirjazi wrote:
MarioMaster151 wrote:Randall, get out of my head! This is one of my...well, i wouldn't call it a fear, per say, but a possibility that i contemplate. What if i am a figment of someones imagination? What if you are all figments of my imagination? Am i a figment of my own imagination? if so, what happens when i realize it, if i am my own dream, what if i wake up? Fun to think about, but dont think too hard. I enjoyed this comic, and had yet another "Randall is in my head" moment. Wait a minute, what if the reason Randall is always in our heads is because he is a figment of our collective imagination?

...use the fucking Occam's razor... it's next to your regular one

...and now and excerpt from Making Rules thread: ...on the other hand, if we accept for a moment the notion that his mental model of us is sufficiently accurate to represent all our important properties and to ask whether we exist independently, we might as well evaluate that in this case our collective mental model of Randall must be necessarily more accurate than his of us, in which case we are justified to ask if he exists independently of our collective mind. In other words, are we having a consensual hallucination of Randall's existence, is he just a figment of our (disturbed) imagination, are we dreaming of him, and is he going to plead us not to wake up

ha! beat you by 2 months...

See the red.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

Yla

Postby Yla » Fri May 30, 2008 6:51 am UTC

"xkcd, get out of my head!" in another meaning.
Wednesday morning, I read the comic. Shortly afterwards, I met the girl I court, and after that, I thought about how it would be if we were together. And this damn comic always crossed my thoughts.
She didn't haul out the torch, though.
Time is a face on the water.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Fri May 30, 2008 7:52 am UTC

protonics wrote:Fantasy can never let you down / break promises or plans / say they don't feel the same.

When I saw the beginning of that sentence I was expecting it to end in " / run around and desert you."

Cytoplasm wrote:But much more important: Has anyone noticed that the last three comics were about love wanting to work out? I wonder if Mr. Munroe (I don't know if I should just call him Randall like I know him..but yeah..) has had someone on his mind. Or maybe it is just a coincidence. It was a sudden thought.
Well if he does, and if he's reading this, I do hope you can be happy. It sucks wanting someone you could have if only things would work out right. Good luck to you.

Every time Randall does a vaguely unhappy romantic type comic, the thread on this forum is filled with people saying "I hope this isn't a reflection of his real life." I think it's time we collectively gave him enough respect to believe that he's perfectly capable of devising these comics without having to have the situation happen to him as inspiration. After all, nobody (as far as I know) assumes that comics like Tesla Coil or Compiler Complaint are based on experience.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Fri May 30, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

scarletmanuka wrote:Every time Randall does a vaguely unhappy romantic type comic, the thread on this forum is filled with people saying "I hope this isn't a reflection of his real life." I think it's time we collectively gave him enough respect to believe that he's perfectly capable of devising these comics without having to have the situation happen to him as inspiration. After all, nobody (as far as I know) assumes that comics like Tesla Coil or Compiler Complaint are based on experience.

Meh, it was just a thought for the last three seemed to have many similarties. Again, just a thought.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

jhlipton

Postby jhlipton » Fri May 30, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

I guess if she accepted irrational realities, she'd hardly be my fantasy.

I would think, for Randall, and most people here, the ability to accept "irrational realities" would be a selling point! "Hey, we're on a balloon and being attacked by spiders!" "Cool!"
Brev is the sou of wi

screech

Postby screech » Sat May 31, 2008 7:00 am UTC

Not_a_Spambot wrote:I've often wondered if imaginary characters can break the forth wall and take on a mind of their own. And if so, can they harm the minds/brains that they inhabit, much like a computer virus cripples the very matrix that allows its existence. Can a figment of one's imagination overpower the mind of the person who dreams them to take over their body? Can a virus of this nature... spread, if able to talk someone else into conjuring a similar entity?

Yep. I did it once. I could probably do it again, but I'd feel guilty about abandoning the first one.
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

Phaedrus

Postby Phaedrus » Sat May 31, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

This reminds me of the end of Gödel, Escher, Bach.

fanin

Postby fanin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:09 am UTC

This is why you never try create something stronger than yourself.
If you do, it could end very badly.
Very badly.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”