0070: "Guitar Hero"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

figgisfiddis

0070: "Guitar Hero"

Postby figgisfiddis » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:17 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/c70.html

I think Buckethead reads xkcd. I was listening to youtube clips of him while drawing something, and when I was finished listening to "Jordan" I saw this in the related video's. It's expert mode, and apparently he's never recorded any studio version of this song until he did it for this game and none of the studio version has that insane bridge (wiki says it's six solo's).

I really need to get a PS2 at least for this game...and Shadow of the Colossus...

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:32 pm UTC

This comic is a prophecy of Guitar Villain.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:11 pm UTC

I think the guitar parts of some Audioslave songs could be construed as similar to this. "Show Me How To Live", for example.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:56 am UTC

Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

Regulus

Postby Regulus » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:53 pm UTC

As opposed to the easy parts? Haha that song is ridiculous.
"Subscribe to your thoughts. Renew your own mind. Discover a world that I couldn't find." -Rudy+Blitz

Ronfar

Postby Ronfar » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:17 am UTC

Pray that she never gets a song featured on Guitar Hero. (I found that link because I did a Google search for "kat" when looking for cat pictures.)
- Doug

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:12 am UTC

I'm not convinced that it's possible to do much better on that song than the video you linked to. I can get about 33% of the way through the song but fumbling through the solo always kills me.

Finishing "Sweet Child of Mine" for the first time on expert was the high point of my week, and "Jordan" is 10X harder.

allergic to light

Postby allergic to light » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:00 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:I'm not convinced that it's possible to do much better on that song than the video you linked to. I can get about 33% of the way through the song but fumbling through the solo always kills me.

Finishing "Sweet Child of Mine" for the first time on expert was the high point of my week, and "Jordan" is 10X harder.

of course it's possible to do better: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3srkOPOR5UA

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:53 am UTC

I meant realistically possible. For me.

I'm in awe of the second video. I've also made my goal merely to finish the song (as I tried with the Guns 'n Roses one before I mastered it), but now I know I must also figure out the solo.

At least the first one.

InkBlot

Postby InkBlot » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:16 am UTC

Buckethead was playing Jordan for quite some time before Guitar Hero. He's amazing.
Not everything in the world has to be ugly. Maybe if people took time to appreciate the few beautiful things left there'd be more than just pretty skies and appealing music to be appreciated.

ehiunno

Postby ehiunno » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:41 pm UTC

oh my god after that second video I am going to cry

Syphon

Postby Syphon » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:52 pm UTC

I just realised that every note in the comic is a hammer on.

It'd be easy. ;o

ehiunno

Postby ehiunno » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:41 pm UTC

not really

most of them are 'chords' or at least, pseudochords. and they really jump around. It would be difficult to play

ogicu8abruok

Postby ogicu8abruok » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:05 pm UTC

allergic to light wrote:
Clumpy wrote:I'm not convinced that it's possible to do much better on that song than the video you linked to. I can get about 33% of the way through the song but fumbling through the solo always kills me.

of course it's possible to do better: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3srkOPOR5UA

That guy's up to 98% now. He's going to be the first one to get 100%.

It's strange, I never made the connection between this comic and Jordan, but it's so obvious now.

Syphon

Postby Syphon » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:28 am UTC

ehiunno wrote:not really

most of them are 'chords' or at least, pseudochords. and they really jump around. It would be difficult to play

Well, it depends on how fast it's going. Unless it IS solo 1 from Jordan, it's fine.

Speaking of Buckethead, I think this other song is the epitome of this phenomenon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrrsIe2xBQQ

Rockapotamus

Postby Rockapotamus » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:23 pm UTC

This song is going to be on the next Guitar Hero. 'Cept you'll be playing the insane guitar part that sounds like keyboard in the intro there. 100 times harder than Jordan, but sadly not as great a song in my opinion.
This is the end of the post.

Beelzebub

Postby Beelzebub » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:50 am UTC

Here is the song in GH III, Rockapotamus's link is a custom song in GH II.
Yea, either DragonForce had the idea first, or Randal got drunk one night and told a member of the band.
Discuss...

LordIllidan

Postby LordIllidan » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:24 am UTC

Rockapotamus wrote:This song is going to be on the next Guitar Hero. 'Cept you'll be playing the insane guitar part that sounds like keyboard in the intro there. 100 times harder than Jordan, but sadly not as great a song in my opinion.

I found this on Digg.

Amazingly, the XKCD reference is already on that page, eliminating the need for us to point out the obvious.

TheDude97

Re:

Postby TheDude97 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:15 pm UTC

InkBlot wrote:Buckethead was playing Jordan for quite some time before Guitar Hero. He's amazing.

Right, but he would never play it with the solo. He would use it as an intro to another song, like "Post Office Buddy"

PS,

Is there a place where you can download the actual Guitar Hero versions of the songs they use? I can't find a decent file of Jordan. Plus, I think the guitars in the GH3 version of Through the Fire and Flames actually sound better.

SeekerVI

Re: "Guitar Hero" discussion

Postby SeekerVI » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:04 am UTC

Just discovered xkcd!
The idea reminds me of the Final Battle in Earthbound, where you fight Pokey and the 8-bit bloops suddenly change to electric guitar & drums.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”