0438: "Internet Argument"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

russianspy1234

0438: "Internet Argument"

Postby russianspy1234 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:06 am UTC

Alt-text: It's easier to be an asshole to words than to people.

MysticTerminator

Re: Internet Argument Discussion

Postby MysticTerminator » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:07 am UTC

:-/ but I love webweb arguments!

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:07 am UTC

I have no problem being an asshole to someone in person.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

paragon12321

"Internet Arguement" Discussion

Postby paragon12321 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:08 am UTC

This comic is completely true. Rememer, the people you talk to on the internet are real people
Last edited by Hammer on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed duplicate comic
For great justice! Take off every sig!

Megums

Postby Megums » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:09 am UTC

Haha, true.

When people are being stupid, sometimes I just have to remember that they feel the same about me.
And also, it's the internet. No one cares. :D

paragon12321

Postby paragon12321 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Grr...ninja'd again.

Anyway, yeah. Remember that the other users are actually people. With feelings and...stuff.
For great justice! Take off every sig!

muffin of doom

Postby muffin of doom » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Wow, I totally didn't get what was going on in this comic until I read the alt-text. Who exactly is the flying girl?

Magritte's Apple

Re: "Internet Arguement" Discussion

Postby Magritte's Apple » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Rememer, the people you talk to on the internet are real people

And probably do not infact have rooms with posters of <insert random dictator here>

mache-b123

Postby mache-b123 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Man... I use to do it, but when I know that motherfucker out there, he usually gives me a lot of beer and all those troubles suddenly pass to nothing.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:11 am UTC

No no no, you're missing the point.

The guy being carried around was arguing with the other guy. But when the girl showed the guy that the other guy had an LCD monitor whereas the original guy only had a CRT, that's when he shutup.

Duh. :roll:

TheHand

Postby TheHand » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Sadly, I'm don't think it would make much of a difference.

Still, the point that the Alt-text makes is totally true.

DeathGod321

Postby DeathGod321 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:13 am UTC

Darn, I thought that this would be another http://xkcd.com/198/ in light of download day / the server meltdown.

chustar

Postby chustar » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:17 am UTC

This is why I usually have my real picture on my profile on some forums. (Not here, people don't flame on the Fora.)
This reminds me of the monkeysphere article that David Wong over at cracked wrote a couple of years ago.
http://www.cracked.com/article_14990_wh ... phere.html
Still makes sense now.
Kneel before me, ye Pitiful Mortals! I shall rule all supreme!
Yeah, I'm crazy like that.

Green9090

Postby Green9090 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:22 am UTC

At first I was in the middle of something in another window and only saw the first 5 panels. My first thought was "woah, Randall is copying Buttercup Festival!"

I still kind of like that interpretation. Guy is pissed off at someone on the internet, and suddenly gets carried over beautiful black and white scenery by mysterious girl. The end.
Belial wrote:A man with more arms than the entire hindu pantheon and thirty goddamn dicks has no time for logic! He must consume ever more bacon to fuel his incalculable manhood!

SeventhBetaRelease

Postby SeventhBetaRelease » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:30 am UTC

This comic is so true.

It's easier to emphasize anger and strong emotions twards words, mear text on a flat surface, than it is twards a living person. Text can only go so far, but a face2face conversation always beats screaming at a monitor.

Emotioncons...I'll save that for that later.

EDIT: The Alt text sums up this statement. Sorry for reitterating. :P
Last edited by SeventhBetaRelease on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"We try to give you the best advice possible. For instance, that floor will kill you, try to avoid it!" -GLaDOS, Portal

jdmack

Postby jdmack » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:33 am UTC

I personally know of multiple instances when people who had vicious flame wars on the 'net became best friends once they met in person.

J. D.

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:33 am UTC

Wow, almost makes me want to change my ways...

Nah, most of the internet is bots, right?

right?

Great comic tho.

JonMW

Postby JonMW » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:36 am UTC

I don't think that this situation would have the same resolution for every argument. For example, night before last on a Garry's Mod online roleplaying server, there was one guy who was just being an overall pain in the ass. Ignoring rules, making things harder for everyone, denying everything he did. And there were no admins on, so the rest of us were reduces to sitting and swearing.
If I could punch that guy in the face without sustaining more serious injury to my own body parts, I would.
GENERATION 292: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If it's an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. If you belong to GENERATION 1, you get a cookie.

Emperor_Z

Postby Emperor_Z » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:40 am UTC

Unfortunately, I'm just as argumentative in person as I am online. Most people don't seem to like this, so they try to change the subject while I continue to press their argument, and I come off as an ass who can't let things go.

dr7

Postby dr7 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:40 am UTC

I have no problem arguing with people on the internet even when I'm reminded that they're real people, because in general, they are so freaking stupid that they deserve to be yelled at.

If people would be less stupid, I wouldn't argue with them.
dr7: king of the wicker people

Drake Zure

Postby Drake Zure » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:47 am UTC

How do I summon flying-girl, and can she take me to people I'm not arguing with?
this is the closest I've ever come to a get-out-of-my-head-moment (heretofore to be called a GOOMHM), as I have been wanting something similar to happen to me for the last few weeks, and, if I'm to be perfectly honest with myself, I still want it to happen.
I'm just not so sure how well it would work out right now.

I don't suppose anybody here would be willing to help me pay for a quasi-impulsive airline ride? I could contribute a couple of bucks...
benjhuey wrote:
IceMod wrote:The fingers did surprise me though.

That's what SHE said.
And then she left. I wonder why...

SeventhBetaRelease

Postby SeventhBetaRelease » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:48 am UTC

It would be interesting to know what they (people in the comic) were arguing about. Just pointing that out.
"We try to give you the best advice possible. For instance, that floor will kill you, try to avoid it!" -GLaDOS, Portal

TwilightWonder

Postby TwilightWonder » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:50 am UTC

I came to this topic to post a link to the Monkeysphere article.

I see my task has already been completed.

Good job, random internet man/woman (but, statistically, most likely man).

Drake Zure

Postby Drake Zure » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:51 am UTC

SeventhBetaRelease wrote:It would be interesting to know what they (people in the comic) were arguing about. Just pointing that out.

They were arguing about Harry Potter and the practical applications possible for the phrase "accio whores".
benjhuey wrote:
IceMod wrote:The fingers did surprise me though.

That's what SHE said.
And then she left. I wonder why...

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:52 am UTC

There should have been a panel of them standing and looking at each other for a moment feeling awkward.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Wes Janson

Postby Wes Janson » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:52 am UTC

I dunno, if they're capable of really raising my ire online, they're probably capable of doing so in real life.

I just had a rather shocking argument with a person today, of the communist persuasion. He felt that Stalin was a great man who had worked for the best interest of the Russian people, and that the famines of the USSR and communist China were unfortunate and regrettable, yet necessary missteps on the process to achieving a better society. The deaths of thirty million Chinese were "more than justified" by the improvements the Communist Party wrought in China. In line with this thinking, Western civilization is immoral, and quote "An IED a day keeps the Yankees away".

Needless to say, physical violence was indeed tempting.

Jiggsy

Postby Jiggsy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:53 am UTC

SeventhBetaRelease wrote:This comic is so true.

It's easier to emphasize anger and strong emotions twards towards words, mear mere text on a flat surface, than it is twards (again, towards a living person. Text can only go so far, but a face2face face-to-face conversation always beats screaming at a monitor.

Emotioncons Emoticons...I'll save that for that later.

Oh, and for the record... I'm taking the piss...
Oh, Miss Pacman, I would sex that bow right off your head. Eat those dots you naughty, naughty girl.- The Todd

lysandra

Postby lysandra » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:15 am UTC

SeventhBetaRelease wrote:It would be interesting to know what they (people in the comic) were arguing about. Just pointing that out.

I think it's better as it is.

stormoftara

Postby stormoftara » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:18 am UTC

Just as an experiment the other day, I posted a thread on a forum {Not here} on an alternative account from my main, asking a personal question. I got VERY VERY VERY mean responses. I mean if I had asked this question in person, no one would've said these things to me. Over the internet, it's so much easier to be mean. You don't see people as people anymore. Weird it's like...this comic was made just at the right time. MIND READER.

SeventhBetaRelease

Postby SeventhBetaRelease » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:23 am UTC

Jiggsy wrote:
SeventhBetaRelease wrote:This comic is so true.

It's easier to emphasize anger and strong emotions twards towards words, mear mere text on a flat surface, than it is twards (again, towards a living person. Text can only go so far, but a face2face face-to-face conversation always beats screaming at a monitor.

Emotioncons Emoticons...I'll save that for that later.

Oh, and for the record... I'm taking the piss...

Wow. I never really spelled good anyway.

lysandra wrote:

I think it's better as it is.

You're right, it is. That would probably cause an Internet Argument itself. :mrgreen:

sk8ingdom

Postby sk8ingdom » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:40 am UTC

Could that be the girl from the Choices' series? Perhaps in between her two instances of existence we're already aware of?

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:41 am UTC

They were arguing about everything we argue about in SB and N&A. It is a rebuke of our ways. It is the reason Randall doesn't darken our door anymore :(
Last edited by EsotericWombat on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dsutton

Postby dsutton » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:45 am UTC

whoever she is, she obviously knows Python http://www.xkcd.com/353

roseneko

Postby roseneko » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:46 am UTC

There's actually a term for the easier-to-be-an-asshole-to-words-than-people phenomenon in the communications field - they call it "I-it communication" (as opposed to "I-you communication"). It's sort of a shorthand for the very human trait to discount others' humanity when they can't actually see them - you see it a lot in road rage, where the driver is obscured by their vehicle, and (of course) on the internet. Interestingly, you also see it when the communicator perceives a large difference in intelligence between them and their intended target - high-level doctors often use I-it communication with their patients, as do normal-intelligence people when dealing with handicapped folk.

Needless to say, it's rarely a successful communications tactic, and tends to say more about the person utilizing it than they might want others to know. :D

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:47 am UTC

Comic is true; however, there have been a number of cases which I'd happily (and forcefully) express my opinion to some people. Usually isn't the case at the moment, as I've come to realise just how dumb some people are and that there's little I can do but pity them.
Over the years I think I've learnt to deal with them better. For example, you can show over-acceptance to undermine their point of attack; or indirectly attack their argument through blaming it on something they have no control over (e.g. Express sorrow that they had bad parents which make them express those views. Works well against young people); or witty responses that appear to be of a high quality argument; or simple logic (If they don't grasp that then it's a dead end). Most of those only work against people who don't think through what they're saying or has been said though.

Unfortunately though, this does bring up a topic that came into light for me recently. Pretty much my little bro trolls forums (I'm pretty sure he picked that up off 4chan), however I'm reasonably sure he could A) Easily be an asshole in real life if he wanted to and B) win in a fight if they were threatening him.

I know another person who turns from "ok" to be with to plain asshole when online. This comic would be perfect example for him. He doesn't use the internet so much, so I'm assuming he still views it as "just text".

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:50 am UTC

God, what a bitch that flying girl is.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:58 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:God, what a bitch that flying girl is.

Say that to her face! :roll:

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:03 am UTC

But somebody on ther internet is wrong! It doesn;t matter thet they're now standing in my living room!

On a less jocular note, I actually find it easier to avoid fights in the ionternet than in real life. On the internet, you can assume that ewither a person is too stupid to listen to your side of the argument, or is smart enough that they have their own reasons (logical, moral, someone might be forcing them at gunpoint to start a flamewar) for continuing to escalate the situation. IRL, people interrupt me, and tell me off for things I haven;t finished saying, and that just really.,.....
........ :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
That sucks.

I prefer arguments online, there's usually enough time beween necessary posts for me to calm down froma surprise insult and prepare the logical counter-attack.
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

Jiggsy

Postby Jiggsy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:20 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:God, what a bitch that flying girl is.

Say that to her face! :roll:

Xeio... isn't that the point of this comic? :D
Oh, Miss Pacman, I would sex that bow right off your head. Eat those dots you naughty, naughty girl.- The Todd

madhollywood

Postby madhollywood » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:36 am UTC

I for one am often completely unreal when I assume my online persona. That is not to say that I completely forget my manners, but I don't mind getting in a fake argument now and again as long as both side realize that it is total and complete nonsense. All in good fun you know.

Yes, we are all in fact people and that is not a fact that should be obscured by the portal of a computer monitor.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”