0439: "Thinking Ahead"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lunch Meat

Re: "Thinking Ahead" Discussion

Postby Lunch Meat » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:21 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
Lunch Meat wrote:When (and such does not happen often) guys mumble incoherently about nerdy things to me, I do laugh and respond with something else just as nerdy. But the thing is, they don't. I would be thrilled to death to meet a nerdy guy in the grocery store, and so thrilled that all he would have to do would be to say "Um...hi..." and I would take it from there! But I'm not going to go up and say "hi" to every vaguely interesting guy I see. Why would I make myself vulnerable to rejection when he hasn't shown any interest in me yet?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite

Not that I really have any room to preach... <_<

I get what you're saying, I really do. And I am the kind of girl who can and has asked guys out before. Rejection sucks. But here's what I'm saying: If, as was the case in the comic strip, a nerdy guy observes a nerdy girl being nerdy, and knows that nerdy girls are rare, isn't he the one with the imperative to introduce himself? Because the girl would not be able to tell whether the guy was nerdy just by looking at him, and so the guy is the only one who knows they have something in common!

And I don't hide myself. In my "real" life, I am pretty obviously nerdy. As I said, show me that you're even halfway (nay! a sixteenthway!) interested, and I'm totally willing to take it from there.

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:48 am UTC

SteamPunk wrote:"Look! Look where I'm pointing!"
"What day is it? What month is it?"
"He/She is a creature of extraordinary grace."
"How did your brain learn human speech?"

[quote=supermaket xkcd girl]
This food is problematic...[/quote]

Apparently, I;ve been quoting Firefly for years (despite having started watching DVDs of it just... Later this evening.)

More places need stunt glass. Supermarkets, motorcycle shops, high0riuse buldings (but only in conjunction with safety nets, for the high-rise buildings)
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:01 am UTC

Lunch Meat wrote:By the way, I did, in fact, go to Safeway today, and for the vindication of every helpless person who has posted in this discussion, I said in someone's hearing "This food is problematic." I got the strangest look I have pretty much ever gotten and a prompt walking-away-from-me. I guess he is not an xkcd or Firefly fan. But if I can do that, then every one of you can go out and say "Um...hi..." to a girl. I dare you.

If some girl started talking to herself out loud in a grocery store, I would think she was pretty strange too, Firefly quote or not. :P

That said, I talk to myself all the time. I just don't do it in public. ;)
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:25 am UTC

Flynn777 wrote:I really can't believe that no one has yet pointed out that the girl is actually MISquoting Firefly!

It's "MY food is problematic."

Randall loses 50 geek points for that. :-D

Um...you're allowed to change pronouns if you're making a reference. In fact you're allowed to paraphrase liberally, and a clever effort in doing so is always funnier than mindlessly parroting some movie or TV quote.

Roland Lockheart wrote:I tend to just talk alot without thinking in situations like this, so I would probably end up saying something stupid like, "Hey there's a window here, want to jump out of it with me?" Come to think of it, would you really be interested in someone who answered that question "no"?

I would, and the only reason I say that is because you just triggered a fond memory of an ex-girlfriend. We had the dynamic (in fact I have this dynamic with lots of girls) where I was outlandish, crazy, awkward, or just plain hardcore like that, and she responded in an adorable little tone that implied something like, "you amuse me but please settle down before you get us both killed".

By the way, planning is not bad. Insufficient planning is worse than improvisation because you feel locked in. But a comprehensive, loose plan with lots of if statements and flexibility can be good. It's like jazz. You have a way of starting into it, and some riffs you can use, but you improvise a lot of it. This works for doing things just as well as admiyo says it works for flirting.

admiyo wrote:Have a bunch of ready made quips: If yawns, catch her in the middle and say, "Only say that if you reallyt mean it." Make em laugh. But be prepared. Think Bebop (for the musicians out there) you need to have a supply of riffs to play, and improvise based on the how things actually go. Be social, flirting is a trained skill. Seriously. Don't try to play the game without going to the practices.

A good supply of verbal quips is to use formulas and tendencies instead of just plain quotes.

Formulas are things where you can plug in some variable and say something clever. The thing about formulas is, don't be obsessive about a single formula (that's how you become formulaic). In fact, don't use the same one over and over again, unless using it over and over again is the joke (if you have a hard time telling the difference don't make it the joke). An example I use: "[adjective] like [proper name]". When that Gnarls Barkley song "Crazy" came out, "crazy like Gnarls Barkley" was a line I used a couple of times. Another variation is when the adjective is the same as someone's last name, or first name. For instance, often for a light exercise I find myself walk'n' like Christopher.

Tendencies are just general themes. For instance, one of my friends is very observant of certain patterns of behavior, and comments on it when other people wouldn't. When I'm in a sociable and outgoing mood, I go for excessive honesty. Being nerdy helps with some of these things because you can recognize patterns and stay on that mental level.

admiyo wrote:Girls spend a lot of time on their appearance. Take notice. They are doing it for you. If you ever find yourself at a loss of what to say, complement her. Pick out some detail and say, hey, that is really cool. It will give her an opening to talk, and something positive to talk about.

Don't overdo it. It's fucking annoying to be fawned over, triggers insecurities if you compliment them on something they don't like about themselves, and makes you look like you're trying too hard.

Quality over quantity on this one. Small details are good. If you notice small details, people assume you're observant. (This is a paraphrase of something an English teacher told me: if you carry books, people assume you can read.)

admiyo wrote:Ask the quiet girl in the back of your class for help on homework. This works really well if you have a reputation for being smart (as many in the forum most likely do.)

If you have a reputation for being smart, she will ask you. Warning: some girls may have ulterior motives. Severe Warning: Many girls won't have ulterior motives.

Helping a girl on her homework is a decent way of letting things happen. Not making them happen. You're right about the wide net no agenda thing, although if you start naturally developing a fondness towards certain girls you should make moves.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:33 am UTC

SD-Knex wrote:@ShaKri
Sorry, I really didn't want to make fun of spelling mistakes or anything. Not only because that would be close to intellectual suicide, but especially because I see language as a complex ever evolving system of equally complex intertwined dynamics, perhaps even close to having its own consciousness, which to squeeze into any narrow-minded set of rules would be as futile as it is crime against the wisdom of Erin McKean. Surely standards have their advantages, but still they are but standards, to be transgressed whenever necessary or beautiful. Now I wrote this post because "torchered" was the latter and has a very deep meaning to me, as I am one of those guys who for years only have eyes for one girl, first finding her cute, then beautiful, later pulchritudinous, but are way to shy to actually talk to her. They later become obsessed, worship her and their (naturally) unanswered feelings torture their souls. Oh, and Kaylee once said, she had "carried such a torch", so their is even a firefly reference.
And btw, for I'm German, I don't actually have confidence in my English spelling and of course, knowing about McKean's Law, I tried to make clear in the way I wrote that post, that I had no intend of correcting anything. Perhaps I should just have said so. lul, quite a common problem with me.
Moreover I'm cheating (firefox spell checker).
I hope I could clarify that now...

- Summer Glau

graphicdesignace

Postby graphicdesignace » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:36 am UTC

Id love to go out with you, but I'm battling my drinking problem. *splash*

Low-Key

Postby Low-Key » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:59 pm UTC

Space Dog wrote:What he didn't think of was how high up the window was.

I don't know about your area, but the grocery stores in my area don't usually have floor-length windows with mats in front of them. Also, every grocery story I can remember has at least one door that opens directly into the fruit/vegetable area.
I'm fairly certain that the big rectangle in the first panel is a door, and the smaller one that goes off-panel is the window he dove through. Aside from bruises and cuts from hitting a glass window, I'd say he's going to be just fine... this time.

That the door is right there adds a lot to this strip. Poor dude didn't even think far enough ahead to aim two feet to the left.

GCM

Postby GCM » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:30 pm UTC

Low-Key wrote:

I don't know about your area, but the grocery stores in my area don't usually have floor-length windows with mats in front of them. Also, every grocery story I can remember has at least one door that opens directly into the fruit/vegetable area.
I'm fairly certain that the big rectangle in the first panel is a door, and the smaller one that goes off-panel is the window he dove through. Aside from bruises and cuts from hitting a glass window, I'd say he's going to be just fine... this time.

That the door is right there adds a lot to this strip. Poor dude didn't even think far enough ahead to aim two feet to the left.

Wait a minute... are there even grocery stores on anything other than ground floor? Because I've never seen one. There are those double story buildings with supermarkets on the ground floor and other things (tools, toys, clothing, etc.) on the first floor, but that's the closest I can get.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

RyanMc

Postby RyanMc » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:20 pm UTC

I tend to think to far ahead as well, especially being at university any commitments/relationships made during my time would then be subject to change at the end of my time there - although I don't think I'd ever throw myself out of window to escape a situation (unless it was a stage window and broke easily)

Cloudchaser

Postby Cloudchaser » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

GCM wrote:
Low-Key wrote:

Wait a minute... are there even grocery stores on anything other than ground floor? Because I've never seen one. There are those double story buildings with supermarkets on the ground floor and other things (tools, toys, clothing, etc.) on the first floor, but that's the closest I can get.

Actually, yes there are, apparently.

I visited a friend in Buenos Aires several years back and near where she lived (in a suburb of BA), she took me with her on a grocery run, and it was a multi-level grocery store. Mostly it was a parking garage on the first floor with the store above it, but you were shopping at second-story level.

akirjazi

Postby akirjazi » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

Lunch Meat wrote:
akirjazi wrote:
Lunch Meat wrote:I'm surprised no one's posted to identify with the girl yet. This is exactly the thing that gives us a complex. "Oh no I quoted firefly and that guy over there was so freaked out he went through a window. I must be totally repulsive." I want a guy to come up and strike up a conversation with me about Firefly in a grocery store.
Hmm...*plans to stage this strip in Safeway tomorrow*

Plain and simple they are scared shitless and I had no idea that the Firefox is so prudish that it didn't include "shitless"in its dictionary and marked it as misspelled. So, if, by any chance (unlikely as it may seem), you happen to like somebody who appears dumbstruck in your presence and only mumbles incoherently about the possibility of the Large Hadron Collider to create mini black hole and thus end the human existence once and for all (which is quite possibly what he would like to happen then and there) please, give them a break. Don't just smile prettily, saying "Yeesss?" and dump all the responsibility on him. Just laugh and tell him how stupid he is believing it when everybody knows that even if it happens, they will evaporate in no time (as proved by Hawking) and the world will continue its merry journey around the Sun and everything will be OK... or whatever...

When (and such does not happen often) guys mumble incoherently about nerdy things to me, I do laugh and respond with something else just as nerdy. But the thing is, they don't. I would be thrilled to death to meet a nerdy guy in the grocery store, and so thrilled that all he would have to do would be to say "Um...hi..." and I would take it from there! But I'm not going to go up and say "hi" to every vaguely interesting guy I see. Why would I make myself vulnerable to rejection when he hasn't shown any interest in me yet?

By the way, I did, in fact, go to Safeway today, and for the vindication of every helpless person who has posted in this discussion, I said in someone's hearing "This food is problematic." I got the strangest look I have pretty much ever gotten and a prompt walking-away-from-me. I guess he is not an xkcd or Firefly fan. But if I can do that, then every one of you can go out and say "Um...hi..." to a girl. I dare you.

Well, all I can say is that I would ask you out if I wasn't half a globe away... in fact, what the hell, would you like to go out with me?

joee

Postby joee » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

GCM wrote:
Low-Key wrote:

The grocery store in my area is below ground level, and so there are no windows to jump out of.
Hi glasnt.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:23 pm UTC

joee wrote:The grocery store in my area is below ground level, and so there are no windows to jump out of.

Thats pretty awesome. Also, I've been to a target with two levels before, but I don't think they had food on both floors so they could keep it all together in one area. They had an awesome escalator that could carry carts up and down floors though... 8)

SeventhBetaRelease

Postby SeventhBetaRelease » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:32 am UTC

Alt-Text: "Did he just go crazy and jump out the window?"

Yes, yes he did.
"We try to give you the best advice possible. For instance, that floor will kill you, try to avoid it!" -GLaDOS, Portal

firedance43

Postby firedance43 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:51 am UTC

GCM wrote: Wait a minute... are there even grocery stores on anything other than ground floor? Because I've never seen one. There are those double story buildings with supermarkets on the ground floor and other things (tools, toys, clothing, etc.) on the first floor, but that's the closest I can get.

There is a grocery store in my area that is above ground floor, you have to go up a set of stairs on one side because of the way the land slopes. So technically it's half above ground levelIt does have many floor to ceiling glass windows though. Never shall I attempt to talk to a guy in that Shaw's, because I would likely take the same escape route, or alternatively trip down the stairs as I rush out.

Xeio wrote:
Lunch Meat wrote:I'm surprised no one's posted to identify with the girl yet. This is exactly the thing that gives us a complex. "Oh no I quoted firefly and that guy over there was so freaked out he went through a window. I must be totally repulsive." I want a guy to come up and strike up a conversation with me about Firefly in a grocery store.

Said boy should obviously chased out the window. You must have the courage to do what he can't!

This assumes that nerdy girls are braver than nerdy boys which is unfair. I overthink everything this way, with my end result being 'how could that person possibly like me' at which point I don't even bother to talk to the person. It's a problem. (I like your .hack// avatar though, lol)

Kidrik

Postby Kidrik » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:31 am UTC

That is EXACTLY my life these past two years.

the_frufru

Postby the_frufru » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:22 am UTC

Philwelch wrote:
admiyo wrote:Ask the quiet girl in the back of your class for help on homework. This works really well if you have a reputation for being smart (as many in the forum most likely do.)

If you have a reputation for being smart, she will ask you. Warning: some girls may have ulterior motives. Severe Warning: Many girls won't have ulterior motives.

Helping a girl on her homework is a decent way of letting things happen. Not making them happen. You're right about the wide net no agenda thing, although if you start naturally developing a fondness towards certain girls you should make moves.

FYI - I have never, currently don't, and will never ask a boy for assistance on my homework. And frankly, I don't appreciate the connotation of your suggestion that the girl should be the one that asks the boy for help.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:33 am UTC

I'm speaking from experience here. People of both genders have asked me for help in various classes, just as I have asked for help from people of both genders as well. It's a consequence of having a reputation for being smart, or conversely, it's a consequence of personally judging another as being smart and potentially helpful when you yourself are stuck.

It's the person who is stuck who asks the apparently smart classmate for help. Gender doesn't enter into it.

And it also seems to me that being asked for help is a much better situation than asking for help. If someone else asks you for help, then at least you already know they tolerate you, even respect you. Plus, you have an automatic opportunity to impress them even further, along with being helpful. None of that applies when you ask someone else. I'm not saying you do anything sleazy about it, just use it as an opportunity to get to know someone while at the same time impressing them with your competence and intelligence.

It's a lot easier to get to know someone when you have something to talk about. Even if it's symbolic logic, ethical theory, or assembly code.

the_frufru

Postby the_frufru » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:18 am UTC

Philwelch wrote:I'm speaking from experience here. People of both genders have asked me for help in various classes, just as I have asked for help from people of both genders as well. It's a consequence of having a reputation for being smart, or conversely, it's a consequence of personally judging another as being smart and potentially helpful when you yourself are stuck.

It's the person who is stuck who asks the apparently smart classmate for help. Gender doesn't enter into it.

And it also seems to me that being asked for help is a much better situation than asking for help. If someone else asks you for help, then at least you already know they tolerate you, even respect you. Plus, you have an automatic opportunity to impress them even further, along with being helpful. None of that applies when you ask someone else. I'm not saying you do anything sleazy about it, just use it as an opportunity to get to know someone while at the same time impressing them with your competence and intelligence.

It's a lot easier to get to know someone when you have something to talk about. Even if it's symbolic logic, ethical theory, or assembly code.

Unless there are other signs (flirting), if I were a boy I would have to assume a girl (or a boy for that matter) asking me for help on homework was just a classmate in need of assistance. I just wanted to point out that meeting a "nerdy" girl by waiting for her to ask you for help on an assignment was probably not the best idea.

VelociraptorEvader

Postby VelociraptorEvader » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:02 am UTC

I'd tap that glass

(i'd have sex with the window)
Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:16 am UTC

the_frufru wrote:
Philwelch wrote:I'm speaking from experience here. People of both genders have asked me for help in various classes, just as I have asked for help from people of both genders as well. It's a consequence of having a reputation for being smart, or conversely, it's a consequence of personally judging another as being smart and potentially helpful when you yourself are stuck.

Unless there are other signs (flirting), if I were a boy I would have to assume a girl (or a boy for that matter) asking me for help on homework was just a classmate in need of assistance.

That's what I do too. But if you give them good assistance, and then later on you keep in touch and continue talking sometimes, you might make a friend. And if you make enough friends, some of them might end up liking you. And if enough people end up liking you, you might figure that out and realize you like them too. At least that's my understanding.

the_frufru wrote:I just wanted to point out that meeting a "nerdy" girl by waiting for her to ask you for help on an assignment was probably not the best idea.

It's not a reliable idea. But having a reputation for being smart might lead to something.

On the other hand, half the time when girls ask me for help I can recognize straight off that I'm being manipulated. Only half, though.

graphicdesignace

Postby graphicdesignace » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:42 am UTC

VelociraptorEvader wrote:I'd tap that glass

((I'd have sexual relations with that melted sand))

emanaton

Postby emanaton » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:39 pm UTC

graphicdesignace wrote:

((I'd have sexual relations with that melted sand))

Go pound melted sand?
Sean P. O. MacCath-Moran
http://www.emanaton.com

Cimorene07

Postby Cimorene07 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

emanaton wrote:
emanaton wrote:So - the title text, "Did he just go crazy and jump out the window?"... is that meant as a reference to "Did he just go crazy and pass out?", or it a quote / reference I'm not getting, or am I thinking about this too much?

Seriously? Anybody? There's GOT to be something I'm missing here!

Yup, that's definitely a twerked Wash quote (I think the original was "Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?"). And to quote Mal @ the overthinker: "More than 70 earths spinnin' about the galaxy and the meek have inherited not a one!"

Note that I have to quote somebody else because I, too, overthink. Also, it's fun. :D

sithpirateknight

Postby sithpirateknight » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:07 pm UTC

That's what she said.

And yes, I have been known to over-analyze discussions with girls, and being a math tutor I can't rely on girls asking me for help in math as flirting with me...... or maybe I can......

Now that I have a girl friend though I find it easier to talk to girls. I did find that nerdy comments and generally being random (as I am most of the time) helped me though.
"Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to." -Douglas Adams

Hexadecimator wrote:but in general, the curvier the symbols get, the more complicated and difficult life becomes.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

LOVE!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

This comic is truth! And awesomely funny.
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

Jiggsy

Postby Jiggsy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

botanydave wrote:It just never occured to me that other nerds were also going through this

Either this is a very common scenario (likely), or we're all part of some XKCDian Hivemind... Spooky!
Oh, Miss Pacman, I would sex that bow right off your head. Eat those dots you naughty, naughty girl.- The Todd

SD-Knex

Postby SD-Knex » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

scarletmanuka wrote: - Summer Glau

Wow, thanks! That's way better than any motivational thread ever was.

Jiggsy wrote:Either this is a very common scenario (likely), or we're all part of some XKCDian Hivemind... Spooky!

Or the ones who feel similarly are most likely to post in the corresponding thread. No less spooky.
Silk for Caldé!

Jiggsy

Postby Jiggsy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:08 am UTC

SD-Knex wrote:No less spooky.

Really? Cos i kinda would've thought it did... Damn interwebs putting me in touch with like-minded people! We can't ALL dominate the world!
Oh, Miss Pacman, I would sex that bow right off your head. Eat those dots you naughty, naughty girl.- The Todd

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:06 am UTC

Jiggsy wrote:We can't ALL dominate the world!

Ah, but we could, if we all comprised some sort of giant XKCDian hive-mind...

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:22 am UTC

A little late, but here's the alternative take on the strip:

That's Journal Girl, engaging in her own brand of nerd sniping before going out on her date with Black Hat Guy. After all, he beat her at the "land mines in the driveway" trick, so she needed to build up a little confidence. This nerd snipe is particularly sneaky, because it's a two-fold strategy: if she catches one of the "thinks too much" nerds, then *BAM* out the window and she's done; if she catches the much rarer "willing to take a risk and talk to girl" nerds, she then denies any knowledge of Firefly, while continuing to quote it. Confusion over whether she's telling the truth or just messing with him causes the risk-taking nerd to try to analyse the situation (compare with Shopping Teams), at which point he becomes a "thinks too much" nerd and *BAM* out the window.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

graphicdesignace

Postby graphicdesignace » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:A little late, but here's the alternative take on the strip:

That's Journal Girl, engaging in her own brand of nerd sniping before going out on her date with Black Hat Guy. After all, he beat her at the "land mines in the driveway" trick, so she needed to build up a little confidence. This nerd snipe is particularly sneaky, because it's a two-fold strategy: if she catches one of the "thinks too much" nerds, then *BAM* out the window and she's done; if she catches the much rarer "willing to take a risk and talk to girl" nerds, she then denies any knowledge of Firefly, while continuing to quote it. Confusion over whether she's telling the truth or just messing with him causes the risk-taking nerd to try to analyse the situation (compare with Shopping Teams), at which point he becomes a "thinks too much" nerd and *BAM* out the window.

haha I'm totally taking this one as the actual meaning now.
and I really need to watch firefly. :(

KaneElson

Postby KaneElson » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:47 am UTC

He he, I work at Woolworths, if you come by tomorrow and drop some Firefly quotes I'll be sure to chat to you. I am afraid the flow of interesting girls at my store is quite low.... *sigh* I hope I get this job I applied for at a electronics retailer.

Philwelch wrote:

That is the bad thing, being known for smart always brings the "users". I have become so sick of girls using me for help with their homework/assignments when they have no interest in knowing me any other time, I tell them exactly where to shove it. I even got some girl to admit she didn't care about me and then I told her that I can't help her any more if she feels that way, she then has the nerve to ask for help with her assignments a week later. It's very hurtful :(

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:59 am UTC

KaneElson wrote:
Philwelch wrote:Helping a girl on her homework is a decent way of letting things happen. Not making them happen.

That is the bad thing, being known for smart always brings the "users". I have become so sick of girls using me for help with their homework/assignments when they have no interest in knowing me any other time, I tell them exactly where to shove it. I even got some girl to admit she didn't care about me and then I told her that I can't help her any more if she feels that way, she then has the nerve to ask for help with her assignments a week later. It's very hurtful :(

I think you should read again what Philwelch said. Why should a girl have to be interested in you to get some help? Don't you think it's just a little bit sleazy to insist on that?
I'm not trying to say you should necessarily help everyone all the time. Help, or not, as you see fit, and by all means set limits. But I don't think making "showing some personal interest in me" the criterion is going to achieve anything more than getting girls to pretend they like you when they need help.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Nah, he's right. Look, tons of women throughout the ages have learned that they can use men's attraction towards them to manipulate said men into doing things for them. It's time for that nonsense to stop.

My rule of fairness isn't "sleazy". My mindset isn't "if I help you with EE homework you have to give me a blowjob". I don't even like blowjobs, and I'm not interested in insincere sexual favors anyway. My rule of fairness is, surprisingly, quite fair: I'm willing to be helpful, and let you benefit from our interaction, so long as I benefit enough to make it worth my time. Sometimes the ego boost of seeing someone respect my intelligence and competence is enough, and I savor the experience of demonstrating my skills. Sometimes, if they're a nice enough person, I value their friendship enough to do small helpful things to maintain it. Sometimes I might even think they're pretty, and enjoy the experience of interacting with them. In other cases, if I think someone's getting the satisfaction of using me without even wanting to be friends or anything, helping them is just gonna waste my time and make me upset.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Philwelch wrote:Nah, he's right. Look, tons of women throughout the ages have learned that they can use men's attraction towards them to manipulate said men into doing things for them. It's time for that nonsense to stop.

Fair enough. But it's the men who have to stop it. It seems to me that expecting personal interest in return for homework help only serves to perpetuate it.

KaneElson: If she really wants help but has no interest in you, why not offer to conduct regular tuition in exchange for cash? Then she can get the help she wants and everybody's clear that there are no personal issues involved. And you can make a bit of money on the side.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:14 am UTC

scarletmanuka wrote:
Philwelch wrote:Nah, he's right. Look, tons of women throughout the ages have learned that they can use men's attraction towards them to manipulate said men into doing things for them. It's time for that nonsense to stop.

Fair enough. But it's the men who have to stop it. It seems to me that expecting personal interest in return for homework help only serves to perpetuate it.

No, that's the entire issue here. Why should I help someone else on their homework if they're not even interested in having a friendly chat with me, or helping me move next week, or at the very least being pleasant company during times when they don't need my help. It's not a matter of expecting romantic interest or sexual favors at all. It's a matter of basic human decency, reciprocity, and not manipulating people.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:26 am UTC

Philwelch wrote:No, that's the entire issue here. Why should I help someone else on their homework if they're not even interested in having a friendly chat with me, or helping me move next week, or at the very least being pleasant company during times when they don't need my help. It's not a matter of expecting romantic interest or sexual favors at all. It's a matter of basic human decency, reciprocity, and not manipulating people.

I agree that those are the issues, but it seems to me that the given approach is encouraging manipulation: pretended interest -> homework help. (Incidentally, I'm not assuming the interest is necessarily romantic, although surely that would be the hope... :)) If there's no interest, put it on a straight cash basis as I suggested in my last message and there's no need for anyone to play games.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:28 am UTC

But see, I like helping people on the basis of friendship, camaraderie, and so forth. Saying that encourages manipulation is like saying putting it on a cash basis encourages check fraud and money counterfeiting. It doesn't--some people just cheat.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”