0439: "Thinking Ahead"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

amazonjane

Re: "Thinking Ahead" Discussion

Postby amazonjane » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

akirjazi wrote:Well, all I can say is that I would ask you out if I wasn't half a globe away... in fact, what the hell, would you like to go out with me?

Sorry to bring this up so late, but did we all just miss the fact that someone was asked out over the interweb via an XKCD thread? i'm aware that it's not my business at all, but I can't decide if this is adorable or stupid. Likely stupid.

Thanks Randall. You bring people together who will never actually be together. Yay for nonexistant relationships.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:34 am UTC

Philwelch wrote:But see, I like helping people on the basis of friendship, camaraderie, and so forth. Saying that encourages manipulation is like saying putting it on a cash basis encourages check fraud and money counterfeiting. It doesn't--some people just cheat.

I'm not saying that should be the basis for all his dealings - just in the particular case of a girl who's already proven to be completely uninterested but keeps pestering him for help. In other words, we're talking about someone who's already demonstrated that she's not willing to play by the current rules, so in my view the best course of action is to change the rules in her case to another set that hopefully both of them can live with. I'm not trying to argue that he should conduct his whole life on a cash basis, for goodness' sake.

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:08 am UTC

akirjazi wrote:Well, all I can say is that I would ask you out if I wasn't half a globe away... in fact, what the hell, would you like to go out with me?

Unfortunately, I like cuddling far too much to be able to stand long-distance relationships. So unless you have a transporter or Firefly-class spaceship or something nearly as awesome, I don't think it's going to work out.

By the way, in case you tend to overanalyze rampantly, I didn't wait a week to respond because I hate you or think you're repulsive. I went out of town to where the internet doesn't exist.

KaneElson wrote:He he, I work at Woolworths, if you come by tomorrow and drop some Firefly quotes I'll be sure to chat to you. I am afraid the flow of interesting girls at my store is quite low.... *sigh* I hope I get this job I applied for at a electronics retailer.

Alas, you too are much too far away. But both of you should go talk to that one quiet girl you know who doesn't say anything and runs away whenever you look at her. (Unless she's River Tam. Then you might die. But that's probably the best way I can think of to die.)

This settles it: I think I'm going to go make a T-shirt that says "Talk to me; I'm nerdy". Anyone want one?

Jiggsy

Postby Jiggsy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:18 am UTC

amazonjane wrote:Yay for nonexistant relationships.

Or purely existential ones...
Oh, Miss Pacman, I would sex that bow right off your head. Eat those dots you naughty, naughty girl.- The Todd

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

So next time I DO find myself in the produce section with Mr. Murnoe, would it be awesome, obvious, or creepy and lame for me to do this? Or is it ironic enough that I'm over thinking this?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”