0439: "Thinking Ahead"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Enginerd

Re: "Thinking Ahead" Discussion

Postby Enginerd » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:15 am UTC

Green9090 wrote:
Enginerd wrote:Wow, that right there, is me in a nutshell. Second panel is me - now -. I love it.

Same, especially the second panel, except that was me about three weeks ago. I already chickened out with that very reasoning as my excuse.

So who do you think is better off: you who chickened out, or me who made the move, and well, lets just say I'm still single. I think jumping out the window wins on both counts. Then at least you'll have the scars to show for it :P

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:18 am UTC

First panel, he's standing right next to the door.

Window was positively the best option.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Cyantre

Postby Cyantre » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:23 am UTC

Any girl that quotes Firefly is totally worth it. 8)

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:25 am UTC

"Did he just go crazy and jump out the window?"

I see what you did there.
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

marco

Postby marco » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:33 am UTC

god damnit god damnit a thousand times...
this just happened to me at kmart :( ...minus the going out of the window part
"I wonder if she lets anyone into that island of light"

thebandit

Postby thebandit » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:47 am UTC

I am guilty of this. I write people - who I'm not even IN a relationship with - into my future scenarios. "I wonder if he'll approve of a honeymoon in X location." "I hope he likes the name Y for a son." etc.

graphicdesignace

Postby graphicdesignace » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:02 am UTC

WTF why does this exactly describe the past 6 months???? thats kinda creepy there.l

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:22 am UTC

fersrs wrote:Unfortunately, there aren't always windows to jump out of. My brain always stalls when I do this and I start to spew this unintelligible rambling that only makes sense in my head.

"Did you know that elephants are the only animals that can't jump? Yeah, and the myth that an elephant never forgets was based on observing that it's crucial for elephants to remember where a watering hole is and that's why they have to have good memories. For watering holes that is. And they also can't magically spout water, just like a camel hump isn't made of water, it stores fat. Although that's sort of weird because fat is generally used for insulation in cold climates for animals such as whales, and camels don't live in cold climates. I mean, except at night, that can get cold in the desert."
*horrible awkward silence*
:oops:

So, essentially, you turn into Stephen Fry hosting QI?

Also, maybe the food was just problematic. She needn't have been quoting Firefly. :P
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:37 am UTC

I'm surprised no one's posted to identify with the girl yet. This is exactly the thing that gives us a complex. "Oh no I quoted firefly and that guy over there was so freaked out he went through a window. I must be totally repulsive." I want a guy to come up and strike up a conversation with me about Firefly in a grocery store.
Hmm...*plans to stage this strip in Safeway tomorrow*

mitoguard

Postby mitoguard » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:57 am UTC

Lunch Meat wrote:I'm surprised no one's posted to identify with the girl yet.

I am surprised that no one has connected the main character with the Jealousy comic yet.

VelociraptorEvader

Postby VelociraptorEvader » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:04 am UTC

haha. that was F***ing gold. one of my favourites to date, and yes it is normal to jump out of a window when you don't want to approach someone.
Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Ani_from_the_south

Postby Ani_from_the_south » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:42 am UTC

Lunch Meat wrote:I'm surprised no one's posted to identify with the girl yet. This is exactly the thing that gives us a complex. "Oh no I quoted firefly and that guy over there was so freaked out he went through a window. I must be totally repulsive." I want a guy to come up and strike up a conversation with me about Firefly in a grocery store.

Yay, make a girl of your choice happy, talk to her today! :)
besides, for some girls it's even harder to strike up a conversation with a guy because of all the cultural expectations we were raised up with - so don't forget about that

thebandit

Postby thebandit » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:43 am UTC

mitoguard wrote:

I am surprised that no one has connected the main character with the Jealousy comic yet.

Megan was a recurring character before Jealousy.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:45 am UTC

Cultural expectations < Asperger's
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:47 am UTC

Oh, this happens to me every time I try ti talk to a woman (or call one who's number I somehow have). Uusally without the window jumping bit tho. I just get very nervous and decide it's a bad idea. Or run away screaming.

ReignonYourParade

Postby ReignonYourParade » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:58 am UTC

Yeah, I do this all the time.

Except I then proceed to ignore the entire internal dialog and decide my course of action on whim.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:00 am UTC

Get out of my head, Randal!

NMcCoy

Postby NMcCoy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:10 am UTC

Something about this strip called out for a rearrangement of some sort. I attempted to appease this impulse by reversing the order of the panels, but I don't think it worked.
thinking_ahead.png
thinking_ahead.png (45.13 KiB) Viewed 5587 times

I think we need something like the Garfield randomizer for xkcd, except the panels (if any) don't have anywhere close to the regularity they'd need. Perhaps some more advanced process is called for.

At any rate, I think we should try adding the crashing-through-the-window panel to other xkcd comics.

Edit: Perhaps I am too easily amused at this late hour.
Attachments
thinking_ahead2.png
thinking_ahead2.png (14.06 KiB) Viewed 5555 times
Last edited by NMcCoy on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:25 am UTC

fersrs wrote:Unfortunately, there aren't always windows to jump out of. My brain always stalls when I do this and I start to spew this unintelligible rambling that only makes sense in my head.

"Did you know that elephants are the only animals that can't jump? Yeah, and the myth that an elephant never forgets was based on observing that it's crucial for elephants to remember where a watering hole is and that's why they have to have good memories. For watering holes that is. And they also can't magically spout water, just like a camel hump isn't made of water, it stores fat. Although that's sort of weird because fat is generally used for insulation in cold climates for animals such as whales, and camels don't live in cold climates. I mean, except at night, that can get cold in the desert."
*horrible awkward silence*
:oops:
Heh. I feel your pain. In my case the other day...
She: Hey, you like dinosaurs, right Mark? Look at these cool toy dinosaurs I've got.

Me: Hey, cool, but well, Dimetrodon isn't really a dinosaur, it's a synapsid. The Parasaurolophus is good but could do with a more colourful crest. This Deinonychus should probably have feathers... Wait, where did you go?

This story may be slightly misleading because she's my significant other, and she did come back... I'm not sure why.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

toolej

Postby toolej » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:33 am UTC

I find it kinda weird how in some comics, Munroe criticizes those who try overly hard to get with "nerdy" girls, yet in others, still recognises and comments on the stigma of girls being nerdy. What are we supposed to do?
-_-

domen

Postby domen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:35 am UTC

malec2b wrote:I had this happen once. Not the jumping out of the window part...

I was trying to ask a girl I liked out, after a few seconds of stuttering, her cell phone rang. I took that as a chance to escape.

Damn, are you me from a parallel universe?
I tried to wait a while, for the phone conversation to end. And she even noted to the other speaker that she doesn't have much time... but the bastard kept talking. Escaped after it got a bit too awkward. :-(

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:49 am UTC

"I'm moving in the fall if we hit it off?"

What?

Does that mean he won't be moving in the fall if they hit it off?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:58 am UTC

Domovoi wrote:"I'm moving in the fall if we hit it off?"

What?

'I'm moving in the fall autumn. If we hit it off, how will I deal with that?'
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Phoenix

Postby Phoenix » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:16 am UTC

Lunch Meat wrote:I'm surprised no one's posted to identify with the girl yet. This is exactly the thing that gives us a complex. "Oh no I quoted firefly and that guy over there was so freaked out he went through a window. I must be totally repulsive." I want a guy to come up and strike up a conversation with me about Firefly in a grocery store.

*g* Weird, it never occured to me guys could have this kind of thinking. I always figured that was a girl's thing. Men just do, or not do, right ;) But it explains the moments where a guy would come up to me, and I KNOW he wants to ask me out right? And he just stares at me and then runs.. I always figured they must have changed their minds once they saw me up close or something.

Personally, when I like someone, I just improvise. The overthinking starts the second it's reciprocated. From nil to devasting breakup in five seconds.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:24 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:
Domovoi wrote:"I'm moving in the fall if we hit it off?"

What?

'I'm moving in the fall autumn. If we hit it off, how will I deal with that?'

Ah, now I see it! The period after 'fall' is attached to the L, so I didn't see it, and the comma after 'off' looked like a period. Weird. Thanks!

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:26 am UTC

Phoenix wrote:
Lunch Meat wrote:a guy would come up to me, and I KNOW he wants to ask me out right? And he just stares at me and then runs..

You live in a cartoon or a teen comedy movie?

t0ksik

Postby t0ksik » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:27 am UTC

when I say I am overthinking something, it just means I am being a coward. I don't overthink any other decisions in my social life (i.e. do I want to call my pre-existing friend up and see if she wants to have dinner) so I have to conclude that when I say "I am overthinking it" what I am really saying is that "I am being a pansy".

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:55 am UTC

Said boy should obviously chased out the window. You must have the courage to do what he can't!

I can't say I've ever jumped through windows before, but definitely the overthinking part, I can't not overthink. Hell, I overthink most of my posts on this forum, and that's nowhere near as important as real life. :?

Phoenix

Postby Phoenix » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:05 am UTC

Domovoi wrote:
Phoenix wrote:a guy would come up to me, and I KNOW he wants to ask me out right? And he just stares at me and then runs..

Neither, thanks. But I might have explained a little too 'teen comedy movie style'. I'm sure others have been there.. When there's a guy who seems interested, but when there is an opportunity they seem to choke or change their mind and are suddenly very occupied with something else. I tend to think they just reconsidered because I'm weird.

And no, I'm not some silly teen girl.. I'm 30-ish, and since I'm not a genius, I sometimes have a bit of a hard time explaining myself in a foreign language. Such as English.

Thumpy

Postby Thumpy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:10 am UTC

I actually LOL'd at this comic, which was kinda embarrasing because I was in a library when I read it, keep up the work Randal,

as to the over-analysing thing, that's me down to a T, although i reckon that may just have a bit to do with my strongly INTP personality... we can't help but analyse/overthink, which makes us absolutely terrible for conversation...

example:
her: how are you going today?
him: err, not too bad i guess... why? (after thinking for about 20 seconds about all possible freudian outcomes of a response that he might say, then remembering that she hasn't read up about freud)
C-A-T spells Histidine... yes that was the sole thing i learned this week

Ezbez

Postby Ezbez » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:21 am UTC

I don't remember the quote. What episode is it from?

Sulnudu

Postby Sulnudu » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:56 am UTC

thebandit wrote:
mitoguard wrote:

Megan was a recurring character before Jealousy.

It looks like thinking ahead isn't his only problem. For Gods sake man, she's married now, how much more resolved do you want it to be :-)

cparker15

Postby cparker15 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

Space Dog wrote:What he didn't think of was how high up the window was.

It's OK! He knows Python.
Peter Gibbons wrote:I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

SD-Knex

Postby SD-Knex » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:49 pm UTC

Ezbez wrote:I don't remember the quote. What episode is it from?

Eating that ice planet.

I'm doing this overthinking part all the time, that's why I eschew going to stores or outside at all, yet I constantly feel miserable about my lack of girlfriend, and then listen to sad music...
I have other queer (in the sense of strange) problems, too. You'll see them in the next xkcd comics.

william wrote:Cultural expectations < Asperger's

yeah, right... fuck... ^^

Jumping out windows has the advantage that you don't have to cut yourself in the evening. ;-)
Last edited by SD-Knex on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Silk for Caldé!

geb

Postby geb » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

Egads, what is becoming of my poor fandom frazzled brain? My first thought before reading the second panel was 388, but then I realised my folly. What does it all mean? Has Randall usurped River Tam as the axis around which my niche references rotate? This will require much reflection...

ShaKri

Postby ShaKri » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:07 pm UTC

Phoenix wrote:
Domovoi wrote:
Phoenix wrote:a guy would come up to me, and I KNOW he wants to ask me out right? And he just stares at me and then runs..

Neither, thanks. But I might have explained a little too 'teen comedy movie style'. I'm sure others have been there.. When there's a guy who seems interested, but when there is an opportunity they seem to choke or change their mind and are suddenly very occupied with something else. I tend to think they just reconsidered because I'm weird.

ive been in that situation (of the guy.. not the girl)... but not quite to the extent of the comic ...

its more along the lines of, when you are just about to say anything an immense fear strikes over you... and instead of what the comic says im generaly like this

() = notes
(()) = the persons thoughts at the time.

guy - "Hey, emm -insert name- i was wondering..."
girl - "yes?" (not even giving us time to say it ... without this interuption id probs be fine hehe... but sometimes its just the way they look at you.. instead of saying yes, you get this expectant stare)
guy - ((oh shit, what do i do now ? i haven't even considered what to say, what if i fuck up , what if i just blurt out something incoherent or idiotic and ruin it all.... shit shit... fuck.. what if she likes my best friend instead, i coulden't handle that, what if we've been friends for too long that it'll be just friends ... fuck i'll be torchered with friendship ... FUCK... ive been silent for like 10 minutes... AAHHHHHHH)) " em em, do you like cake ?"
girl - "what the..?"
guy - " my friend glados likes cake" (hoping that the portal reference will be cutely funny)
girl - " what did you really want to say?"
guy - " look, a floating left testicle!" (runs) (( well, i think that went well... :) :) ))

i have been known to do the window thing.. but i dont think what i do is the same as the comic.... i hope its not :| lol ...
Signature : 01000011 01101000 01110101 01100011 01101011
00100000 01001110 01101111 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110011 00100000

Tenth Speed Writer

Postby Tenth Speed Writer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

Yet another xkcd strip lands way too close to me.

I don't even ask girls out anymore; I only attempt relationships with those whose socio-political views, music tastes, and ten-year life plans are compatible with my own.

And I'll figure through all that in the span of about a day.
Civil Engineering Major, University of Alabama.
"Yessir, I reckon 'em 'ere cent'rl s'port beams'll hol' up a'right..."

Mallet über alles!

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:20 pm UTC

:-D cute! I don't remember that line though...I fail I suppose. There are a number of episodes I've only seen once I suppose. And I'm specifically avoidant of the final epsiode because I don't want to deal with the reality once I see it that that is all there is.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

strix99

Postby strix99 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:40 pm UTC

Act two of this comic in which he lays on the ground outside of the window bleeding.
She comes over looks down at him and asks if he's alright.
He looks up at her and says, "Shiny"
At which point she goes through the exact same sequence as him and has to find a window to jump through.
<loop until an ambulance comes or they bleed to death>

strix99

Postby strix99 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

Cyantre wrote:Any girl that quotes Firefly is totally worth it. 8)

Belive it or not my girlfriend actually introduced me to Firefly, I knew of the series but had never seen it. I mean seriously would I go out on my own to watch a series that can be best summarized as "cowboys in space." Anyway I love the series and am a bigger fan that she is now.

Personally I think the pilot of Firefly (with the deleted scene with Simon and Zoe talking about the war added in) would have made a better movie than Serenity did, not that I disliked Serenity I just love the pilot.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”