0439: "Thinking Ahead"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

strix99

Re: "Thinking Ahead" Discussion

Postby strix99 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

Ezbez wrote:I don't remember the quote. What episode is it from?

CatProximity wrote::-D cute! I don't remember that line though...I fail I suppose. There are a number of episodes I've only seen once I suppose. And I'm specifically avoidant of the final epsiode because I don't want to deal with the reality once I see it that that is all there is.

The episode is The Messege http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Message_%28Firefly%29.

This is the episode where they get mailed Tracy, an old war buddy of Mal and Zoe. The episode begins on a space station with Simon and Kaylee(on the closest thing they ever have to a date) viewing a cow fetus that is supposed to be a an alien.

The quote comes on the space station where River is having trouble trying to eat some sort of food which has a snow cone ball type thing attached to a string, the food is referred to as ice planet.

SD-Knex

Postby SD-Knex » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

ShaKri wrote:torchered

Cool, got to remember that one. Is it like suffering from carrying a torch for someone? :-)
Silk for Caldé!

cORilliEN

Postby cORilliEN » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

Pants wrote:I wonder if this will mark the beginning a new sub-arc of "My Problem" strips. God knows xkcdians have unusual problems enough to fill up an internet.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Randall said in the "About" that he does not use submitted comic ideas.... I hope that post did not kill the possibility of a really cool comic arc.

On a depressing (possibly overly thought-out) note, if anyone ever wanted to put an end to xkcd, they could just e-mail Randall with every possible comic suggestion possible. :cry:

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:18 pm UTC

Yet another xkcd strip that prompts 2 pages of "Oh me yarm Randall get outta my head."

Although, looking at it, I think he's at the ground floor, of a supermarket, right by the front automatic doors. A, Why would be choose to leap through a plate glass window rather than just dash out the door, and B, who designed that supermarket for the force of one confused stickman to smash it to smithereens?

Or could it be a metaphorical representation of his consciousness leaping through a proverbial sheet of glass to abruptly stop the chain of thought inside?

UV_Catastrophe

Postby UV_Catastrophe » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:26 pm UTC

t0ksik wrote:when I say I am overthinking something, it just means I am being a coward. I don't overthink any other decisions in my social life (i.e. do I want to call my pre-existing friend up and see if she wants to have dinner) so I have to conclude that when I say "I am overthinking it" what I am really saying is that "I am being a pansy".

Hear, hear. After years of overthinking my approach with women, I've just recently figured out that brainy people use "overthinking" as an excuse to chicken out (rather than acknowledging their own natural fears). Now, whenever I decide that I want to ask a girl out, I do it then and there - by the end of the conversation. It's working pretty well so far!

The important thing is to ask - it doesn't matter whether you're smooth or not. After all, you miss all the shots you don't take.

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:28 pm UTC

wah wah this one was lame. Get on the ball Randall.
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

Alzheimers

Postby Alzheimers » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:30 pm UTC

Of course, it it was more like real life, it would be:

*jumps for window*

-THUD-

*bounces off shatterproof glass, falls on back*

*everyone in store turns and stares, including Firefly girl*

*security shows up and takes him away in handcuffs (for his own protection)*
If the thought of doing something makes you giggle for more than 15 seconds, you should assume it isn't allowed.

Do it anyway!

ShaKri

Postby ShaKri » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

SD-Knex wrote:
ShaKri wrote:torchered

Cool, got to remember that one. Is it like suffering from carrying a torch for someone? :-)

wow.. thanks... you know i know i cant spell... and im sick of having to defend myself in every thread because of it...

yes my english skills suck ass.. get over it.. at least yours dont and you can go on and do something with it....

im already "torchered" with having to be a down and out lower class, slum dweller... i think thats punnishment enough without other people with more intelligence putting me down even more.

(this is an example of a youtube argument ;P, gonna tell me the right spelling tho cos my spelling is terrible as you've noticed lol)

(and just for clarification , im not actually being serious in this post... lol)

my actuall comment:

cORilliEN wrote:On a depressing (possibly overly thought-out) note, if anyone ever wanted to put an end to xkcd, they could just e-mail Randall with every possible comic suggestion possible. :cry:

i doubt that could even stop him... he would surpass us all and do comic strips of suggestions that are not possible

all hail Randal *bows*
Signature : 01000011 01101000 01110101 01100011 01101011
00100000 01001110 01101111 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110011 00100000

szarka

Postby szarka » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

cORilliEN wrote:On a depressing (possibly overly thought-out) note, if anyone ever wanted to put an end to xkcd, they could just e-mail Randall with every possible comic suggestion possible. :cry:

One day a student came to Moon and said, "I understand how to make a better garbage collector. We must keep a reference count of the pointers to each cons."

Moon patiently told the student the following story: "One day a student came to Moon and said: I understand how to make a better garbage collector..."
Last edited by szarka on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cparker15

Postby cparker15 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

Tenth Speed Writer wrote:I don't even ask girls out anymore

That's what SHE said!

Oh, and hi! I'm new!!!! Well... long time/first time.

Between /., xkcd, TDWTF, LimerickDB, et al., I don't know how I manage to get any actual work done... but somehow I do! Something must be done!!! :shock: :D :shock: :D
Peter Gibbons wrote:I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

Like half the reason I bought my motorcycle was so that I'd have something cool to talk about when faced with the "can't reach the ejection handle" situation.

Also it helps to change the subject from my shopping basket full of cucumbers, condoms, lube, and industrial size zip ties. Especially if you're in a bar.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:Or could it be a metaphorical representation of his consciousness leaping through a proverbial sheet of glass to abruptly stop the chain of thought inside?

That you've posted this in a thread about over-thinking has just broken my irony-meter. :mrgreen:
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

emanaton

Postby emanaton » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

Greetings all!

So - the title text, "Did he just go crazy and jump out the window?"... is that meant as a reference to "Did he just go crazy and pass out?", or it a quote / reference I'm not getting, or am I thinking about this too much?

=o)

Sean
http://www.emanaton.com
Sean P. O. MacCath-Moran

strix99

Postby strix99 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

I hope you get extra points for quoting the deleted scenes in the Firefly DVDs, "We have to get married now, I'm in the family way." Or the outtakes from Serenity, "Get that kid who's taking a dirt nap with baby Jesus, we need a hood ornament."

But probably just strange looks from bystanders.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

ShaKri wrote:
all hail Randal *bows*

wow... when i first read that i though you said *blows* and i though man i love xkcd as much as the next guy perhaps even more but thats a bit far for me... lol sorry randall!
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:13 pm UTC

I tend to just talk alot without thinking in situations like this, so I would probably end up saying something stupid like, "Hey there's a window here, want to jump out of it with me?" Come to think of it, would you really be interested in someone who answered that question "no"?
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:51 pm UTC

ShaKri wrote:

i doubt that could even stop him... he would surpass us all and do comic strips of suggestions that are not possible

all hail Randal *bows*

Also, he can kill us with his brain
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

SD-Knex

Postby SD-Knex » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

@ShaKri
Sorry, I really didn't want to make fun of spelling mistakes or anything. Not only because that would be close to intellectual suicide, but especially because I see language as a complex ever evolving system of equally complex intertwined dynamics, perhaps even close to having its own consciousness, which to squeeze into any narrow-minded set of rules would be as futile as it is crime against the wisdom of Erin McKean. Surely standards have their advantages, but still they are but standards, to be transgressed whenever necessary or beautiful. Now I wrote this post because "torchered" was the latter and has a very deep meaning to me, as I am one of those guys who for years only have eyes for one girl, first finding her cute, then beautiful, later pulchritudinous, but are way to shy to actually talk to her. They later become obsessed, worship her and their (naturally) unanswered feelings torture their souls. Oh, and Kaylee once said, she had "carried such a torch", so their is even a firefly reference.
And btw, for I'm German, I don't actually have confidence in my English spelling and of course, knowing about McKean's Law, I tried to make clear in the way I wrote that post, that I had no intend of correcting anything. Perhaps I should just have said so. lul, quite a common problem with me.
Moreover I'm cheating (firefox spell checker).
I hope I could clarify that now...
Last edited by SD-Knex on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Silk for Caldé!

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

cORilliEN wrote:
Pants wrote:I wonder if this will mark the beginning a new sub-arc of "My Problem" strips. God knows xkcdians have unusual problems enough to fill up an internet.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Randall said in the "About" that he does not use submitted comic ideas.... I hope that post did not kill the possibility of a really cool comic arc.

On a depressing (possibly overly thought-out) note, if anyone ever wanted to put an end to xkcd, they could just e-mail Randall with every possible comic suggestion possible. :cry:
That's not the same thing as "submitted" he writes comics a long way in advanced sometimes, if someone somehow predicted what one was going to be, he'd probably show it anyway.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Flynn777

Postby Flynn777 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

I really can't believe that no one has yet pointed out that the girl is actually MISquoting Firefly!

It's "MY food is problematic."

Randall loses 50 geek points for that. :-D

sethola

Postby sethola » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:30 pm UTC

Had to register just to post my own "Get out of my head Randall!". To the letter, including unresolved things with Megan and the frantic urge to escape.

Timequake

Postby Timequake » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

...This makes 2 times that a quote has been used in an xkcd comic from a Firefly episode that I had seen for the first time the previous day...
GENERATION -i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

jordan

Postby jordan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

Dear Straight Dudes,

You suck! We never have this problem with girls.

Lots of love,
The Gays

ElectricTapeDes

Postby ElectricTapeDes » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

What's up self-defenestration?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

Okay. Are we absolutely sure Randall doesn't read the forums? 'Cause there's like, 5443980275 threads in LSR following almost the EXACT same thought process, with corresponding quantities of self-flagellation and angst.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

mootinator

Postby mootinator » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

Enginerd wrote:
Green9090 wrote:
Enginerd wrote:Wow, that right there, is me in a nutshell. Second panel is me - now -. I love it.

Same, especially the second panel, except that was me about three weeks ago. I already chickened out with that very reasoning as my excuse.

So who do you think is better off: you who chickened out, or me who made the move, and well, lets just say I'm still single. I think jumping out the window wins on both counts. Then at least you'll have the scars to show for it :P

People tend to regret the risks they did take in the near term, and the risks they didn't take in the long term. On the overall neuroticism caused by the decision scale, you win :P

Sebeka2

Postby Sebeka2 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

This comic would have been better if there'd been eggs in it.
Willpower lasts about two weeks and is soluble in alcohol. ~ Mark Twain(?)

ASW

Postby ASW » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

I have found that going for it has always worked out for me. Not in the way I imagined though. I have been rejected many times, and I have rejected many times. But had things not panned out that way, had I not taken the risks I wouldn't have ended up with the wonderful geek girl that I now have for a wife. It is all part of the process of letting yourself live and chance experience excruciating pain so that the happiness to come is all that much brighter and certain.

Sykotic1189

Postby Sykotic1189 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

This actually doesn't come close to describing me. I have actually driven around Panama city looking for good spots to take girls and spent 2 weeks with my friend planning what would make the best topics to discuss while I was there with the girl and another week planning how I would spend the next 3 weeks getting the girl into the right mood to go on the date on the night of a full moon so it would reflect well off the water. After spending about $50 in gas finding these places, and 3 weeks of planning she got a boyfriend half-way through the first week of my plan. :cry:
Good times?

I'm not paranoid, I sleep with a 14'' boot knife for other reasons.

akirjazi

Postby akirjazi » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:33 am UTC

Lunch Meat wrote:I'm surprised no one's posted to identify with the girl yet. This is exactly the thing that gives us a complex. "Oh no I quoted firefly and that guy over there was so freaked out he went through a window. I must be totally repulsive." I want a guy to come up and strike up a conversation with me about Firefly in a grocery store.
Hmm...*plans to stage this strip in Safeway tomorrow*

I don't know what Firefly is (not from USA) but based on Wikipedia, the experience with the xkcd and the nerdy bunch haunting the fora I have a pretty good idea. I can only laugh (bitterly) at the total lack of understanding between the males and females of our species. My point is that you are completely mistaken if you think that somebody who loves Firefly is the type of guy who will come up to you and strike a conversation about it. (I will not go into discussion of what kind of guy is likely to try to strike a conversation with you in a grocery store, you have certainly had your share of them) And the same goes for all those guys with their amygdalae in overdrive, that run away from you on the parties, in bars etc. Plain and simple they are scared shitless and I had no idea that the Firefox is so prudish that it didn't include "shitless"in its dictionary and marked it as misspelled. So, if, by any chance (unlikely as it may seem), you happen to like somebody who appears dumbstruck in your presence and only mumbles incoherently about the possibility of the Large Hadron Collider to create mini black hole and thus end the human existence once and for all (which is quite possibly what he would like to happen then and there) please, give them a break. Don't just smile prettily, saying "Yeesss?" and dump all the responsibility on him. Just laugh and tell him how stupid he is believing it when everybody knows that even if it happens, they will evaporate in no time (as proved by Hawking) and the world will continue its merry journey around the Sun and everything will be OK... or whatever...

And guys, the bad news is that no, it does not improve with the age... you'll still be jumping through the windows when you are 30, 40 etc...

emanaton

Postby emanaton » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:50 am UTC

emanaton wrote:So - the title text, "Did he just go crazy and jump out the window?"... is that meant as a reference to "Did he just go crazy and pass out?", or it a quote / reference I'm not getting, or am I thinking about this too much?

Seriously? Anybody? There's GOT to be something I'm missing here!
Sean P. O. MacCath-Moran

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:29 am UTC

akirjazi wrote:
Lunch Meat wrote:I'm surprised no one's posted to identify with the girl yet. This is exactly the thing that gives us a complex. "Oh no I quoted firefly and that guy over there was so freaked out he went through a window. I must be totally repulsive." I want a guy to come up and strike up a conversation with me about Firefly in a grocery store.
Hmm...*plans to stage this strip in Safeway tomorrow*

Plain and simple they are scared shitless and I had no idea that the Firefox is so prudish that it didn't include "shitless"in its dictionary and marked it as misspelled. So, if, by any chance (unlikely as it may seem), you happen to like somebody who appears dumbstruck in your presence and only mumbles incoherently about the possibility of the Large Hadron Collider to create mini black hole and thus end the human existence once and for all (which is quite possibly what he would like to happen then and there) please, give them a break. Don't just smile prettily, saying "Yeesss?" and dump all the responsibility on him. Just laugh and tell him how stupid he is believing it when everybody knows that even if it happens, they will evaporate in no time (as proved by Hawking) and the world will continue its merry journey around the Sun and everything will be OK... or whatever...

When (and such does not happen often) guys mumble incoherently about nerdy things to me, I do laugh and respond with something else just as nerdy. But the thing is, they don't. I would be thrilled to death to meet a nerdy guy in the grocery store, and so thrilled that all he would have to do would be to say "Um...hi..." and I would take it from there! But I'm not going to go up and say "hi" to every vaguely interesting guy I see. Why would I make myself vulnerable to rejection when he hasn't shown any interest in me yet?

By the way, I did, in fact, go to Safeway today, and for the vindication of every helpless person who has posted in this discussion, I said in someone's hearing "This food is problematic." I got the strangest look I have pretty much ever gotten and a prompt walking-away-from-me. I guess he is not an xkcd or Firefly fan. But if I can do that, then every one of you can go out and say "Um...hi..." to a girl. I dare you.

sanitycheck

Postby sanitycheck » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:37 am UTC

strix99 wrote:He looks up at her and says, "Shiny"
At which point she goes through the exact same sequence as him and has to find a window to jump through.

Hell of it is, she'd have to jump into the grocery store, which is even harder to explain to the paramedics.

Blue_turnip

Postby Blue_turnip » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Yeah, overanalysis: the bane of every XKCD fan.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:07 am UTC

Wow. Opposite of "Randall, get out of my head", thanks for the insight! I didn't realize how bad it was for nerd guys...Seriously, nerd girls don't bite. :? I feel like giving that poor guy a hug. :(
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Beaniedude

Postby Beaniedude » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:23 am UTC

Sigh i always do this.
I always play conversations in my head before i dive into them...exploring every single possible way the conversation could go.
I spend half the time thinking about something to say and by that time they always leave.
So...because of this comic i said
"No Jeremy...You will not think about what to say...you will just go out and say it and go with the flow"
So my convo went like this

Me: Hello
Her: Yes?
Me:....err....
Her:...
Me:...how are you?
and etc....

I guess i now know why i think of conversations in my head before they happen.
"You're a hyper bowl" - Mrs Perry
"STOP STEALING THE ELECTRONS FROM THE CARPET!" - Mr D
Spoiler:
Yay, you can click buttons :D

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:29 am UTC

Lunch Meat wrote:When (and such does not happen often) guys mumble incoherently about nerdy things to me, I do laugh and respond with something else just as nerdy. But the thing is, they don't. I would be thrilled to death to meet a nerdy guy in the grocery store, and so thrilled that all he would have to do would be to say "Um...hi..." and I would take it from there! But I'm not going to go up and say "hi" to every vaguely interesting guy I see. Why would I make myself vulnerable to rejection when he hasn't shown any interest in me yet?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite

Not that I really have any room to preach... <_<

graphicdesignace

Postby graphicdesignace » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:51 am UTC

Lunch Meat wrote:When (and such does not happen often) guys mumble incoherently about nerdy things to me, I do laugh and respond with something else just as nerdy. But the thing is, they don't. I would be thrilled to death to meet a nerdy guy in the grocery store, and so thrilled that all he would have to do would be to say "Um...hi..." and I would take it from there! But I'm not going to go up and say "hi" to every vaguely interesting guy I see. Why would I make myself vulnerable to rejection when he hasn't shown any interest in me yet?

You know why we don't? Because girls like you hide yourselves, like you're doing. And this doesn't help when the average odds of meeting a nerdy girl are already 1:APopularSearchEngine, because then when we DO respond "That's no moon!" to "Wow, the moon is pretty bright tonight," we just get odd stares.
So yeah, there's gotta be a give and take here, babe.

admiyo

Postby admiyo » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:54 am UTC

OK Guys, here are some easy tips.

Have a bunch of ready made quips: If yawns, catch her in the middle and say, "Only say that if you reallyt mean it." Make em laugh. But be prepared. Think Bebop (for the musicians out there) you need to have a supply of riffs to play, and improvise based on the how things actually go. Be social, flirting is a trained skill. Seriously. Don't try to play the game without going to the practices.

Girls spend a lot of time on their appearance. Take notice. They are doing it for you. If you ever find yourself at a loss of what to say, complement her. Pick out some detail and say, hey, that is really cool. It will give her an opening to talk, and something positive to talk about.

Ask the quiet girl in the back of your class for help on homework. This works really well if you have a reputation for being smart (as many in the forum most likely do.) Don't do this with the idea of asking her out, but with the idea of getting her to introduce you to people. Then, cast a wide net. Talk to anyone and everyone, but, and this is important, with out an agenda. Make your social circle as wide as possible. You will click with someone one when you are not paying attention, not when you are over thinking.

That girl you are agonizing over? I did that. many times. There is no glory in being loyal to someone that you are not already involved with. Go talk to her, get it over with, and then move on.

It will all work out. Seriously, it will. Don't overthink it ;)

EpeeGnome

Postby EpeeGnome » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:08 am UTC

I feel the same way myself sometimes. I recently spent several years (on and off) deciding to ask a girl out. Always had an excuse why I shouldn't at the time. Over-analyzing and excuses go hand in hand. I finally asked her as a last chance sort of thing, since I was in fact moving, and she said "yes" like it was the most natural thing. We had a wonderful time canoing for most of the day, and now I won't see her more that once or twice in the next several years. Don't I feel like a first-class idiot. The lesson here is don't wait, you may be wasting a wonderful opportunity. I'll never stop over-analyzing, as its part of who I am, but maybe I can learn, from experiences like that one, to stop using it to make excuses.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”