0441: "Babies"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: "Babies" Discussion

Postby phlip » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:29 am UTC

paragon12321 wrote:For some reason, I was expecting dead baby jokes in this thread. I guess there are some things that are beneath even XKCD readers.

Just because it hasn't happened in this thread, doesn't mean it's beneath us... I know a couple of threads have been filled with those... mostly in FaiD.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

rcunn87

Postby rcunn87 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:34 am UTC

I am disappointed that this one did not turn out to be a memorial to George Carlin.

kerohazel

Postby kerohazel » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:10 am UTC

armorsmith42 wrote:To return to topic: have you ever been sitting at, for example, dinner with your girlfriend's family and come to the sudden realisation:
Spoiler:
I can make people

Somewhat similar feeling to this comic

It's an awesome responsibility. Good thing that it (usually) requires the consent of two people, similar to how you need two people to turn their keys simultaneously to order a nuclear strike - at least in the movies.

My thoughts are definitely closer to comic 275 than the people-making stuff.

bridgeyman

Re: "Babies" discussion

Postby bridgeyman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:30 am UTC

I hope this comic doesn't end up adding another entry to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xkcd#Life_imitates_xkcd

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:38 am UTC

I was reminded more of Advanced Technology than Thoughts...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

_sandswipe_

Postby _sandswipe_ » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:51 am UTC

I thought of the cellar incest thing immediately, and I thought that was the joke. Am I a horrible person?
♪ BOOP-A DOOP-A DOOP! ♪

jacobraccuia

Postby jacobraccuia » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:56 am UTC

The alt text just made my morning. I shook with laughter!

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:05 am UTC

i feel like if randall where to have kids gaining access to the internet would not be surprising as they would surely be strong in the 1337
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:03 am UTC

joee wrote:Actually, keeping kids in the cellar reminds me of this, which makes me sad :(
My thoughts exactly. Not sure how much he was thinking of the Josef Fritzl incident while scripting this strip, but if he was doing it as a slight reaction to it, then it's a tad tasteless from RM.
The actual content apart from that is hilarious though. Perhaps the sequel will involve them attempting to set-up a dual boot on the system - gender/personality/sexuality/memory - take your pick.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:13 am UTC

I had the voice of Ryan North in my head as I read the alternative text.

And by Ryan North, I mean 'what I imagine the Qwantz Narrator's voice to be like'.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

psavach

Postby psavach » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:31 am UTC

rcunn87 wrote:I am disappointed that this one did not turn out to be a memorial to George Carlin.

I wasn't really disappointed, but I had hoped that there would be one.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:59 am UTC

I saw the picture, and was like THAT IS SO ME. And everyone I work with agrees. And so does my boyfriend. And so does my dad.

The alt text detracted from it slightly: I thought of the recent abuse, too. And also, it makes the comic less 'me' (no future kids thanks!)
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Sykotic1189

Postby Sykotic1189 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:22 am UTC

armorsmith42 wrote:To return to topic: have you ever been sitting at, for example, dinner with your girlfriend's family and come to the sudden realisation:
Spoiler:
I can make people

Somewhat similar feeling to this comic

That is always a very scary moment. Especially when A) her parents don't know about your intimate activities and B) they already hate you.
Good times?

I'm not paranoid, I sleep with a 14'' boot knife for other reasons.

Backupharmonica

Postby Backupharmonica » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:22 am UTC

Is vague suggestion of child abuse and/or poor parenting now a webcomic trend?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/6/23/
http://www.explosm.net/comics/1315/
http://www.asofterworld.com/index.php?id=311

weird.

Steroid

Postby Steroid » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:38 am UTC

A few months later, the parents are going to send a message over the interweb: "We made a baby, but can someone send us the source code? We're having teething problems."

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:05 am UTC

That's horrible but not as the BFoD pun my mind supplied, not that Randall would use Microsoft.

muffin of doom wrote:I disagree with the idea that there is a difference between a basement and a cellar; as far as I'm concerned, they're the same thing. Maybe it's a regional thing?

I thought at a cellar was just a basement that was too small to use as anything other than store stuff (like wine).

Not the funniest but I had a similar thought recently (just turned 18) that not too many generations ago I probably would have a kid by now and that I'm totally not ready to have one.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Dryk

Postby Dryk » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:13 am UTC

phlip wrote:I was reminded more of Advanced Technology than Thoughts...

So was I

cj-maranup

Postby cj-maranup » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:47 am UTC

This one is just priceless :)

As the offspring of a biologist & a psychologist I think I'm grateful Mum stopped Dad after he tested the mammalian instinct to cling tightly immediately after birth... As to the results of her investigations, I'm not really in a position to judge...

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:23 pm UTC

Steroid wrote:A few months later, the parents are going to send a message over the interweb: "We made a baby, but can someone send us the source code? We're having teething problems."

Don't worry, there'll be a patch soon. It's cool to ship products early.

(The obvious patent foramen ovale joke is too awesome to make.)

joee wrote:
ginnybee wrote:XKCD is always right on the mark!

I wonder if this would work if both parents were doctors.

I'll let you know. I suspect not.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

sithpirateknight

Postby sithpirateknight » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

TheHand wrote:If you put it back together and the sex has changed then chances are you have done something wrong.

In that case either you will have an extra piece (which always happens to me when I try to put something back together without looking at the instructions) or you have incorporated a new piece into the design. :D
"Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to." -Douglas Adams

Hexadecimator wrote:but in general, the curvier the symbols get, the more complicated and difficult life becomes.

jima

Postby jima » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

Wait, are you guys implying you're not supposed to hold babies upsidedown?

Oops.

Why? Oh, no reason.

esmooths

Postby esmooths » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:14 pm UTC

I liked this one. I know this feeling, especially having close friends having kids.

As far as the cellar comment, I took it more in the "over-protective parent" sense. Although, I could see it implying the two curious parents running experiments, which could be bad enough if they're linguists...

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I had the voice of Ryan North in my head as I read the alternative text.

And by Ryan North, I mean 'what I imagine the Qwantz Narrator's voice to be like'.

I came to the thread to say this and was disappointed to see that I'd been beaten.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:16 pm UTC

TheHand wrote:If you put it back together and the sex has changed then chances are you have done something wrong.

Either this was a reference, or I think too much.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

how is babby formed
how girl get pragnant

Spoiler:
They need to do way instain mother> who kill their babbys. becuse these babby cant frigth back?

it was on the news this mroing a mother in ar who had kill her three kids. they are taking the three babby back to new york too lady to rest my pary are with the father who lost his chrilden ; i am truley sorry for your lots
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

dobysirius

Postby dobysirius » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

So what does the alt text refer to? Is it the Austrian guy or something else? I don't think I get it.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

I have friends getting married and having kids, friends having kids and getting married, the whole bit. Scares the crap out of me.

Personally I am not offended by potential similarities to news stories that broke months ago and that did not involve keeping an actual child in a cellar.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

sweet_concorde

Postby sweet_concorde » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:29 pm UTC

People can have issues getting the wireless to work properly in the basement - because the walls are too thick or due to the distance. A cellar is generally a room that is completely underground (no windows) and made of cinder-blocks, so getting a wireless signal in there would be especially difficult. Just to continue over-explaining my theory, I think the joke is that we're rolling our eyes at our parents' incompetence with computers, and our kids will better us as well. We have issues with getting internet in the basement, and they will be able to get it in the cellar.

Meat_Grinder

Postby Meat_Grinder » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

"If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat." (c) Douglas Adams
Methinks it applies to babies as well, regardless of the reasons why you take them apart :roll:

gjqrcgeodu

Postby gjqrcgeodu » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

I don't think Randall will have any babies. Enjoy your lonely death.

armorsmith42

Postby armorsmith42 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Apparently my girlfriend's father was disappointed when he discovered that they did not vaccinate babies at the hospital.

"What! It doesn't come pre-formatted with anti-virus?"
I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul

6.626068 × 10-34 m^2 kg / s

kyevan

Postby kyevan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

joee wrote:Actually, keeping kids in the cellar reminds me of this, which makes me sad :(

Uh, justification time! He was just wondering how they managed to run it to their room - some building materials screw wifi up and running ethernet through solid concrete, well :P

We actually get better reception by the air vents than just above the router, here. We also run ethernet and phone through the same holes (Though 'phone', nowadays, actually runs to a DSL modem)

lazarus89 wrote:Isn't it too soon after Creepy Austrian Guy's crimes came to light to be making jokes about storing children in cellars?

Not everyone reads such stories (I avoid them, they depress me), and anyway, I practicaly live in my basement, by choice, and at my dad's house there are three bedrooms down there, so, kids in the cellar or basement isn't that unusual, just, forcing them to stay down there is.

Sprocket wrote:You're NOT old enough, now go listen to your abstinence only sex ed class and say 78 hail Mary's for that comic!

Abstinence-only sex ed classes miss certain ideas: Like a rational explanation of the risks, etc. My school stressed abstinence as the best option, but still covered various other thing since it's going to happen no matter how much you stress it. We also covered drugs, and had visitors of all sorts of backgrounds - someone who suffers from AIDS, a doctor specializing in STIs, and, in probably the strangest but more interesting cases, an acupuncturist. Add all to that a pair of instructors who knew what they were doing (which doesn't just mean knowing your subject, it also means knowing how to communicate!) and I think that class actually convinced more people that abstinence until in a stable relationship (not marriage, necessarily, but a relationship where you might as well be married, if you know what I mean with that...) was a better choice than an abstinence-only class would have, while at the same time covering things to try to keep yourself safe if you decide not to.
TL;DR: Abstinence-only classes are self-defeating.

kerohazel wrote:It's an awesome responsibility. Good thing that it (usually) requires the consent of two people, similar to how you need two people to turn their keys simultaneously to order a nuclear strike - at least in the movies.

I imagine that it probably requires more people IRL - any one of the various people involved in targeting, prepping for launch, and launching it COULD at least delay it. Of course, they'll just get replaced, but still.

Dobblesworth wrote:The actual content apart from that is hilarious though. Perhaps the sequel will involve them attempting to set-up a dual boot on the system - gender/personality/sexuality/memory - take your pick.

Thank you for giving me a metaphor for bisexual that works - I have no idea why I never thought of that before. Saying it's like dual-booting a machine gives certain impressions - in one mode or the other is the important one - that some people seem to miss.

armorsmith42 wrote:Apparently my girlfriend's father was disappointed when he discovered that they did not vaccinate babies at the hospital.

"What! It doesn't come pre-formatted with anti-virus?"

I once saw a baby chewing on a Norton t-shirt. It was hilarious.

Foil

Postby Foil » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

This one feels about as close to home as any recent comic for me... my wife and I are going to be first-time parents in a few weeks, and we're definitely experiencing the "Oh, cool, our son! Uhm... what do we do with him?" feelings. :mrgreen:

As far as taking him apart, I'm not so sure that is such a good idea. After all, his main functions for a while are going to be eating, sleeping, and pooping. Disassembly = Ewww.... :shock: :wink:
"You seem a decent fellow - I hate to kill you."
"You seem a decent fellow - I hate to die."

justaman

Postby justaman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

At least they haven't taken the Fourier transform of the baby... yet
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

GiantSnowman

Postby GiantSnowman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

phlip wrote:I was reminded more of Advanced Technology than Thoughts...

Ever since I saw that, I've been secretly hoping one of my friends or cousins will get pregnant so I can make them a Self-Replicating warning T-shirt:

DeadCatX2

Postby DeadCatX2 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

Linux0s wrote:
lazarus89 wrote:Isn't it too soon after Creepy Austrian Guy's crimes came to light to be making jokes about storing children in cellars?

That was my thought too. Alt text is in poor taste.

I concur. While I think the comic itself was amusing (as always), the alt text ruined this comic for me. I'm inclined to think that Randall was unaware of the Fritzl case, though.

skafian

Postby skafian » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

meh
Last edited by skafian on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

greenpizza13

Postby greenpizza13 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

I totally get it! This was a good one.

Jex

Postby Jex » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:52 am UTC

My ex said for years that his parenting plan was to have three kids and feed them nothing but packs of kit kats whilst locked in the basement (get it three kids, two kit kat bars per pack).

I think the locked in the cellar thing is just a generally accepted wrong way to raise children that people use as an example. It's so horrible that no sane person could rationalize it. The absurity makes it easily identified as a joke. Unfortunately one guy had to go and ruin the fun for everyone. And ruin the everything for a few people.

ADXCKGuy
Location: Boston, MA, U.S.A., North America, Earth, Sol system, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Universe

Postby ADXCKGuy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:25 am UTC

Kazuke wrote:They still build houses with cellars?
Why wouldn’t they? Unless your area is prone to flooding, it’s a hell of a lot more practical than building up for storage. And if you don’t have a basement or cellar, where do you keep your water heater?
DeadCatX2 wrote:
Linux0s wrote:

That was my thought too. Alt text is in poor taste.

I concur. While I think the comic itself was amusing (as always), the alt text ruined this comic for me. I'm inclined to think that Randall was unaware of the Fritzl case, though.

I find that highly unlikely, Randall is a geek, not a recluse, and the case recieved lots of worldwide press.
Waah, waah, waah.
All of you, get over it. Lots of things in [s]xkcd[/s]webcomics on the internet are in poor taste if not completely tatsteless. Just because some asshole abused his daughter in a basement,we can’t joke about locking kids underground? Pfft, whatever. Besides, Penny Arcade already did it Monday.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”