0447: "Too Old For This Shit"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

DarkKnightJared

Re: "Too Old For This Shit" Discussion

Postby DarkKnightJared » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:06 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
DarkKnightJared wrote:I had two sudden realizations reading this and seeing the discussion:

1. People here are far too smart than me.

2. I'm probably the only person who reads this comic that is absolutely fucking terrible at math.

It's very depressing.

I'm not good at math.

No, that's a lie. I'm good at math, but I don't know a lot of the concepts, and it holds very little interest for me. I don't know what an intergral is, which is apparently shameful.

I don't understand a lot of the comics.

Yep--made many a trips to Wikipedia after reading many of the comics. It's actually been quite educational. Plus it's inspired me to try to learn more about computers, so...not all bad things. 8)

ivory_tinkler

Postby ivory_tinkler » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:55 am UTC

Having just completed my engineering degree, I was beginning to think I really should just go and do what I really love (Maths). Now, thanks to Randall, I know I'm past it... It's already embarrassing enough that I've lost a lot of what I had. Depressing comic! :lol:

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

gormster wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:MUAUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I learned to program at age 11.

Who didn't? Hacking away in VB6 :P

Heh, me too... :D I think I started in 4th grade.
lol everything matters
-Ed

FourColor

Postby FourColor » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

I found this strip works just as well, with a different kind of joke, if the panels are read in reverse order (with the dialog within each panel still read in original order).

Is that math or time travel?

Throtex

Postby Throtex » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

I learned to program in BASIC on my C128 when I was six years old.

I'm a lawyer now. Where did I go wrong?

Eugo

Postby Eugo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

Throtex wrote:I learned to program in BASIC on my C128 when I was six years old.

I'm a lawyer now. Where did I go wrong?

Wrong machine? Commodores sucked... (disclaimer: it's raining whole week here, I'm depressed like a commandbutton, forgive this feeble attempt to rekindle the old flame war - I still have a ZX Spectrum with a 5-digit serial number).

Actually, did you advance to the Amiga? If you didn't, you missed a lot. Of all the Commodore machines, that was the only one I was sorry I didn't have. It was a sort of the Mac for the masses. I just chose the other Mac at the time - the Atari 1040.
United we stand politically corrected, divided we fall in love

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Commondore 64 is The Computer of the Republic! The 8-tape using version did have a nasty tendency to stop working, tho..

Throtex

Postby Throtex » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

Eugo wrote:Actually, did you advance to the Amiga?

Nope, I didn't ... that could be it right there. :lol: Money was scarce. My next machine was a Packard Bell 486sx/33 umpteen years later.

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

Lunch Meat wrote:I've still retained pretty much everything I learned, but I'm hopelessly behind people my age who still do math. I can't do it fast anymore. I'm scared of trying to get back into it because I don't know how well I would do.
Just out of curiosity, how well will you do if you don't try?

I'm 53. I'm taking trigonometry because the college insists, and precalculus because I want to go on to other math courses. Nobody much knows or cares how well I'm doing, which is fine by me. As for disappointment in myself, it's unlikely to happen. Life's too short. I have to accept that I'm MUCH slower in thinking things through than I was in college. OTOH, I have more endurance and maybe more insight than my fellow students (the "kids"). It may take me a while, but eventually I get the problems and proofs done. It gives me about 20 minutes at the first of class to relax while the prof goes over the homework that "nobody" could get. I think it will be interesting as I move farther away from the "required for everyone" math classes into things that mathy people take.

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:27 am UTC

Heh. When I was a freshman at Michigan State in 1964, I was enrolled in Honors Calculus. The best student by far in the class was Michael Gross... who was in fact 11 at the time.

Neat kid - spent half the day in 5th grade doing 5th-grader stuff, half the day on campus, in his dark suit, white shirt, tie. Great sense of humor and absolutly amazing mathematical intuition. He went on to become a full professor of math before he was 18.

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:04 am UTC

Aviatrix wrote:
Lunch Meat wrote:I've still retained pretty much everything I learned, but I'm hopelessly behind people my age who still do math. I can't do it fast anymore. I'm scared of trying to get back into it because I don't know how well I would do.

Just out of curiosity, how well will you do if you don't try?

Point taken. I guess more relevant is the fact that the time and energy necessary to get back into "knowing everything" and being able to do it means it's just not worth it to me. Math is not what I want to do with my life, and I don't have the time to learn everything I want to learn about stuff that's not really relevant to my life. It makes me sad that I can't get all of the xkcd jokes, but that's the way it is.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:06 am UTC

JohnTheWysard wrote:Heh. When I was a freshman at Michigan State in 1964, I was enrolled in Honors Calculus. The best student by far in the class was Michael Gross... who was in fact 11 at the time.

Neat kid - spent half the day in 5th grade doing 5th-grader stuff, half the day on campus, in his dark suit, white shirt, tie. Great sense of humor and absolutly amazing mathematical intuition. He went on to become a full professor of math before he was 18.

How was he socially in the school? Did he talk to his fellow 20 year old classmates or what?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Seriniyity

Postby Seriniyity » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:15 pm UTC

Nobody likes the idea for the Society of the TOFTS? :P

I really don't know what they would do, probably just sit around and complain, but I thought the idea was too funny not to post.

(Pssssst it'sToo Old For This Shit)

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

crp wrote:
Joshua wrote:Here's the image darkened so you can read the blackboard...

I actually thought that this was photoshopped until i checked myself

Randall, you sneaky bass tard

I don't get it?

Gladjaframpf

Postby Gladjaframpf » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:36 am UTC

On the topic of when you started programming, I have to mention a truly wonderful piece of software that introduced me to it: Learn to Program BASIC. Back when I was in Grade 6 or 7 I was looking at our monthly Scholastic book order form and noticed it in the software section; a game that would supposedly teach you how to make your own computer games! I was quite excited by this and convinced my parents to buy it for me.

And that's how I ended up learning how to program from some weird cartoon character named Media Man and his dog Goo.:lol:

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

gormster wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:MUAUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I learned to program at age 11.

Who didn't? Hacking away in VB6 :P

Now I will hate you all...
I saw computer for the first time at ~15. I started simple Pascal programming in eleventh grade as part of informatics subject. I used Delphi in Uni's first year and C/C++ in second.
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”