0448: "Good Morning"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sje46

Re: Microserfs

Postby sje46 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

acd wrote:Interesting, that with two screens of comments noone has noticed brilliant reference to Douglas Coupland's "Microserfs".
Sad times when geeks don't know one of the geekiest books.

I only read one of his books, and that wasn't that great (girlfriend in a coma), but I want to read generation X, and I almost got eleanor rigby from the library.

What exactly is the reference, I wonder?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Connington

Re: "Good Morning" discussion

Postby Connington » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

Adjusting for the fact that I sleep longer than Randall, (Especially without any schoolwork to complete or job to got right now) I'm in Honolulu. It's 12pm right now.

Rhombix

Postby Rhombix » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

I have quite a messed up sleep pattern. In fact, I might actually have a 28 hour day. I should start writing down the times I go to sleep.

I'm not sure how to describe how bad it is, but I found these posting statistics on another forum:
Attachments
stats.PNG
stats.PNG (5.74 KiB) Viewed 5307 times

acd

Postby acd » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:What exactly is the reference, I wonder?

Well, I have not read the English original, however translating it back into English it would be that some developers living in the west coast had accounted "trip to Tokyo".

And "Microserfs" (at least in translated version) was by far better than any other book I've read by D.Coupland. Visionary I would say. Not as visionary as "Snowcrash", but still ....

And in my case while I'm living in the GMT+1 area, "NYC" or even "Chicago" are more natural to me. :-)

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

acd wrote:

Well, I have not read the English original, however translating it back into English it would be that some developers living in the west coast had accounted "trip to Tokyo".

And "Microserfs" (at least in translated version) was by far better than any other book I've read by D.Coupland. Visionary I would say. Not as visionary as "Snowcrash", but still ....

And in my case while I'm living in the GMT+1 area, "NYC" or even "Chicago" are more natural to me. :-)

Did you like Girlfriend in a Coma? I thought it was okay. My mom has a copy of Life After God (is that what it's called?). Is that one good?

Thanks for explaining the reference.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

spm

Postby spm » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

I'm clearly a member of Eastern Standard Tribe. Which is odd, considering I'm one of those very few people who actually lives on UTC*. My circadian cycle goes into sleep intervals at roughly 03:00 in the evening and kicks into wake mode at 11:00 in the morning. That said, I'm usually at work by 08:00, leaving me a three hour window of productive dreaming on company time.

* as opposed to GMT, which a lot of people live on. GMT = UTC+DST.

Laogeodritt

Postby Laogeodritt » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:00 am UTC

spm wrote:I'm clearly a member of Eastern Standard Tribe. Which is odd, considering I'm one of those very few people who actually lives on UTC*. My circadian cycle goes into sleep intervals at roughly 03:00 in the evening and kicks into wake mode at 11:00 in the morning. That said, I'm usually at work by 08:00, leaving me a three hour window of productive dreaming on company time.

* as opposed to GMT, which a lot of people live on. GMT = UTC+DST.

Oh! And I finally learn a distinction between GMT and UTC that's practical in day-to-day life.

Doodle77

Postby Doodle77 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:28 am UTC

Makes me think of Eastern Standard Tribe (which was a bad book imo :/)

adKalendasGraecas

Postby adKalendasGraecas » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:37 am UTC

I seem to be part of a species that originally evolved on a planet with a rotation period of about 30 hours or so. Either that, or my body tends to drift several time zones west each day while the rest of the world seems to drift eastward.

A.leon

Postby A.leon » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:20 am UTC

This comic made me feel very strange as I just made this joke yesterday.
Aleon says:
do you know the muffin man?
Michael says:
Yeah,he lived down Mulberry lane until he was arrested for murdering people due to the deranged pressure put on him by his dog

MGSchmahl

Postby MGSchmahl » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:27 am UTC

I wonder how well this applies to those of us who are biphasic sleepers.

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:09 am UTC

I sleep 10-6. I don't exist.
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Qeu

Postby Qeu » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:12 am UTC

Let's suppose that the normal 8 hours sleep gap is 10pm-6am, then my range ussually varies from Greenland time (UTC-3) up to Pacific Time (UTC-8).

That shouldn't be so much drift, except for the fact that I live in Spain (UTC+2 now in summer)

These days I'm somewhere between Dallas and Denver :D

ryelle

Postby ryelle » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:46 am UTC

oh, hey, I'm only two hours off! Too bad that time zone doesn't seem to exist right now... (I'm UTC-7, so it should be UTC-9, but due to Hawaii not observing DST and Alaska observing it, it doesn't seem to exist).
20/F/Queer/MA

Okay, so my previous advertisement was a bit much. CoastSeeker will give you the closest point on the coastline to your original geohashed point, obviously most useful when your original point is underwater.

Titus

Postby Titus » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:08 am UTC

Add another to the ranks of the 5-day week on the tally.

RAPTORATTACK!!!

Postby RAPTORATTACK!!! » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:19 am UTC

2400-0100 to 0530, and the luxury of 0700 on the summer. weekends around noon.
Team 246 OVERCLOCKED!

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:24 am UTC

ryelle wrote:oh, hey, I'm only two hours off! Too bad that time zone doesn't seem to exist right now... (I'm UTC-7, so it should be UTC-9, but due to Hawaii not observing DST and Alaska observing it, it doesn't seem to exist).

The logical solution being that you also don't exist. Also, I am only one time zone over. PDT instead of MDT.

azredwing

Postby azredwing » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:43 am UTC

I work at the Phoenix Mars Lander, and I'm on Mars time (24.6 hour day).

I can totally relate to these guys. Yesterday I woke up at 4 in the afternoon and went to work around 9:30. Today's my day off, but tomorrow I go in around 1 AM.

GoldenGryffin

Postby GoldenGryffin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Kazakhstan. Sometimes Burma or China. I'm aiming for Japan by the end of the summer :)

GoldenGryffin

Postby GoldenGryffin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

A.leon wrote:This comic made me feel very strange as I just made this joke yesterday.

Randall get out of your head?

Qeu

Postby Qeu » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

ryelle wrote:oh, hey, I'm only two hours off! Too bad that time zone doesn't seem to exist right now... (I'm UTC-7, so it should be UTC-9, but due to Hawaii not observing DST and Alaska observing it, it doesn't seem to exist).

Actually it does exist.

You're living in the Aleutian Islands: http://www.worldtimezone.com/wtz006.php

Or if you want a warmer climate, French Polynesia :D http://www.worldtimezone.com/wtz011.php

mache-b123

Postby mache-b123 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

Great: I'm now in Anchorage. I thougt never would know how snow is.

But yesterday I was in L.A., and suddenly my sleep schedule screwed up at thursday, as I was in Bogotá (NYC, but without DST) as usual. With my calculations (and my final job for Management), tuesday will be back to Moscow, and there will pull a 25-hour asleep in order to be in Bogotá for next week. That isn't (so) good...

Woaz

Postby Woaz » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

I'm normally in Ohio, but I drifted to Juneau, Alaska today.

Izkata

Postby Izkata » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:08 am UTC

CheckYourInput wrote:
Izkata wrote:It is currently 2:40 AM in my timezone, I'm bored, and not sleepy in the slightest.

So I registered just to show ya'll this:

http://motaios.smackjeeves.com/xkcdsleep/

Dude, you totally stole my idea!!!

Feel free because of the following post:

You, sir, name? wrote:
Izkata wrote:It is currently 2:40 AM in my timezone, I'm bored, and not sleepy in the slightest.

So I registered just to show ya'll this:

http://motaios.smackjeeves.com/xkcdsleep/

What timezone is it using? That's a pretty important piece of information. Without taking it into consideration, your page is lying about it's results in 23 cases out of 24.

I just took another look at it and it looks like my algorithm itself is way wrong. I guess that's what I get for it being when I normally go to sleep, even though I didn't feel sleepy.

anthetos

Postby anthetos » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:27 am UTC

Well, I took a stab at implementing this myself in Python. http://beyondboredom.net/z/sleeploc-1.0.py

The cool thing about this is that it should use your local timezone, and it records all of the times you enter in a database. This allows it to compare locations to see which direction you're drifting.

I thought it would be cool if it could give you an overview of all the places you've been to, but I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

Ferahgo

Postby Ferahgo » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:58 am UTC

This comic describes me and my boyfriend perfectly... I just woke up around an hour ago (11 p.m. EST) and he's still in bed. I guess I'm currently running on Moscow time, or thereabouts.

Eugo

Postby Eugo » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:16 am UTC

phlip wrote:And yes, I've done the drift-west-around-the-whole-world-in-a-week thing

Left to myself - in a cave or orbit, perhaps - I'd do that in about 23 days, with my biological day being around 25 hours. When not working, i.e. not tied to other people's schedules, I usually end up sleeping one hour later every day. Once I'd hit the 2:30 limit, I'd force myself to get up around 7:00, just to shock myself back into sync with the rest of the world.

Nowadays, it's usually 02:00-09:00 or less, with one or two 5-minute power naps about an hour after lunch (when digestion would cause me to faint anyway :| ).
United we stand politically corrected, divided we fall in love

theferrymantune

Postby theferrymantune » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

Apart from it reminding me of my sweet sleeping habits, it reminded me of this:

http://livenudemachines.com/32.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXtLmFA3deE

Some guy lagging himself into the future. ^_^
Did you mean to search for: spidurs

Drake Zure

Postby Drake Zure » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

Heh. Finally, i understand that whole "get out of my head" thing.
I had stayed up all night the night before to correct a horribly mutilated sleep schedule.
benjhuey wrote:
IceMod wrote:The fingers did surprise me though.

That's what SHE said.
And then she left. I wonder why...

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:22 am UTC

As much as I love staying up to unholy hours of the night, I really hate waking up later than 9:30. Hm.

I finally got to bed at 4:00 AM this morning and spent a good ten minutes staring at a shadow that I'm convinced looked like John Lennon's head. I got up at 8:30 AM.

asteroid54

Postby asteroid54 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:32 am UTC

Good night from Phoenix, Arizona! I start to think that I will have less problems with jetlag during my USA trip next month than everyone expects. :D

NonesuchPlace

Postby NonesuchPlace » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:51 am UTC

I think I have a Non-24-hour wake-sleep syndrome.

That basically translates to: My circadian rhythm is all messed up.

oh: Based on the current time,
Good Morning from Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Or
Good Night from Melbourne, Australia.

Wow. I think that I just lost.

Shane
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

limerick

Postby limerick » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:37 am UTC

I'm not quite sure how to find out where I am ....
I'm typically sleeping 10-12 hours a night (geez, that's probably really bad for me), generally from 12-11-ish.
Can someone help ..?
I live in PST, by the way.

This comic was particularly ingenious. Really funny to figure to think about where you're sleep actually is.

aliosha

Postby aliosha » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:09 am UTC

spm wrote:* as opposed to GMT, which a lot of people live on. GMT = UTC+DST.

You're wring on the internet. GMT is what UTC attempts to follow as closely as possible. DST is a seperate timezone used in Great Britain during the summer. Read the Wikipedia article!

Sorry, UTC annoys me, especially people saying it's more appropriate that GMT. GMT is especially appropriate for timezones. I also get annoyed by CE (as opposed to AD).

As to this comic: I think I live a normal life for my timezone, at least according to those who live on xkcd. I get to sleep at 0100-0200 and get up at 0600-0700.

Izkata

Postby Izkata » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:40 am UTC

NonesuchPlace wrote:oh: Based on the current time,
Good Morning from Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Or
Good Night from Melbourne, Australia.

Dun touch mine! I never fixed it...

Lukifer

Postby Lukifer » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:06 am UTC

I loved the idea of visualizing my sleep habits so much that I hacked this together over the weekend:

http://WhereInTheWorldDidIWakeUp.com

It's mostly Javascript, so feel free to take a peek under the hood. I'd love to hear feedback and ideas for improvement.

A few notes:
- The image is hosted locally to spare the comic's bandwidth. If that's not kosher I can hotlink or remove entirely.
- Locations are picked out of a hat. Open to suggestions.
- I'm going out of town (and off the grid) for a week starting tomorrow, so I won't be able to improve on it until I get back.

Gotta crash; making the leap from Bolivia to St. Louis tonight!

Qeu

Postby Qeu » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:55 am UTC

Lukifer wrote:I loved the idea of visualizing my sleep habits so much that I hacked this together over the weekend:

http://WhereInTheWorldDidIWakeUp.com

It's mostly Javascript, so feel free to take a peek under the hood. I'd love to hear feedback and ideas for improvement.

A few notes:
- The image is hosted locally to spare the comic's bandwidth. If that's not kosher I can hotlink or remove entirely.
- Locations are picked out of a hat. Open to suggestions.
- I'm going out of town (and off the grid) for a week starting tomorrow, so I won't be able to improve on it until I get back.

Gotta crash; making the leap from Bolivia to St. Louis tonight!

I think you did it the wrong way.

If you awake after the usual time, you drift west, not east.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:
acd wrote:

Did you like Girlfriend in a Coma? I thought it was okay. My mom has a copy of Life After God (is that what it's called?). Is that one good?

Thanks for explaining the reference.

I finally read that book (microserfs). Wow. That was a lot sadder than I thought it was going to be. I mean the ending.

EDIT:
I just necrod with something that doesn't even relate to the toic of the thread. My bad.

levicc00123

Postby levicc00123 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:52 am UTC

*Yawn*

Good night from New York, NY.

Scigatt

Postby Scigatt » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:04 am UTC

Good morning from Cape Verde.
Until recently I was in the Solomon Islands, but I moved suddenly for no good reason.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”