0459: "Holy Ghost"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: "Holy Ghost" Discussion

Postby xAstral » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:07 am UTC

ParanoidAndroid wrote:
xAstral wrote:I find it hilarious that the second frame is so reminiscent of a bunny.

Great, now I have the Latin "Here Comes Peter Cottontail" from South Park stuck in my head.

My apologies!

Teehee
xAstral

Postby paul9 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:11 am UTC

ParanoidAndroid wrote:
paul9 wrote:I enjoyed this one, but I'm surprised that no hardcore Christians have called Randall out on committing the unforgivable sin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unforgivable_sin

Personally, I think crossing the streams is way more risky than taking your chances with eternal damnation. :)

Calvinist here. That's not the unforgivable sin. The popular conception of "unforgivable sin" is pretty inaccurate, mostly based on a misunderstanding of what "blasphemy against the holy spirit" constitutes.

I was raised Catholic, and so was taught that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit in name = eternal sin.

But yeah if you look at Mark 3:29 in context, it refers specifically to an incident of denying the spirit before Jesus himself. According to that Wikipedia article, Calvinists believe that since he's not around anymore, committing the eternal sin isn't possible.
paul9

Postby Latentsage » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:38 am UTC

I thought that the unforgivable sin was to blaspheme and deny the holy spirit after having been "enlightened" so to speak. You have to believe that it exists first.
Latentsage

Postby william » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:09 am UTC

kurennia wrote:Does anybody find the Pope figure immensely creepy? I mean, stick figures without faces I can handle, but a man with what otherwise appears to be a full body and no face….

(Then again, in the right light, the actual pope looks kind of scary as well.)

The actual pope always looks scary.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.
william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby thebeaky » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:11 am UTC

Sweet.

So another commited Christian, not quite sure where I stand on calvanism, or the other side of the scale just yet, but I did laugh out loud this comic.

Also I am very sure God has a sense of humour, ( He lets a muppet like me serve him for one thing). And I have a great number of friends including myself who have seen Gods sense of humour in action.

In a small side note however, the holy Spirit Kicks the Ghost Busters Butt. No amount of crossing beams or whatever could ever stop Him. I mean they killed Jesus, and that didnt stop Him. (not the Ghost Buster, but the Jews just for clarity).
thebeaky

Postby bluenullity » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:14 am UTC

fucos: Past tense of focus, you have already lost focus that you can't even spell focus. Can be combined with shit for impressing anonymous crowds; fucoshit.
bluenullity

Postby vish » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:59 am UTC

second panel
"Sin City"

no??
vish

Postby Exenon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:05 am UTC

LOL !!
That's a really nice one !

And yes ! God HAS a sense of humour ! :mrgreen:
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Exenon

Postby sje46 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:26 am UTC

If GOd doesn't have a sense of humor, then how do you explain this?*

*joke stolen from somewhere. I can't remember where . . .

@thebeaky
I mean they killed Jesus, and that didnt stop Him. (not the Ghost Buster, but the Jews just for clarity).

Actually the Romans killed Jesus, not the Jews. Or they would have if they Jesus actually lived. (Not saying he didn't, just saying that I doubt it.)
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby hawk1105 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:43 am UTC

i just registered only to reply to this comic, and i'll be the first christian to say i disliked it for religious reasons.

i would not have a single problem with anyone mocking the church, church members or anything man made that's sometimes considered sacred.

but you are mocking my God, the One that is holy.
i usually don't tell people not to blaspheme, because Jesus Himself, when being crucified, asked the Father to forgive the people mocking Him.
but i am truly offended by this comic.

now i hope you still believe me if i say i do have a sense of humor, and God certainly does too.
(but i never really enjoyed ghostbusters either)
hawk1105

Postby thebeaky » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:46 am UTC

So, My bad, technically it was the Romans, but the Jews (or at least the Jewish Authorities) were the ones wanting him dead, the Romans didnt care so much, Pilate even tried to let him off.

But you somehow doubt the historical figure Jesus lived? or that He is God in flesh?
thebeaky

Postby iaiaz » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:48 am UTC

There is no Jesus. Only Zuul!

*ducks flying debris*
"Don't threaten me with love, baby. Let's just go walking in the rain."
-Billie Holiday
iaiaz

Postby StClair » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:49 am UTC

I really don't see what the problem is. Just open the trap and let it out.
StClair

Postby iaiaz » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:58 am UTC

As a side note, it is so passe to blame Jews for Jesus' death. I mean, the Pope totally let us off the hook already. Check the updated catechism, it's right on the Vatican webpage.
"Don't threaten me with love, baby. Let's just go walking in the rain."
-Billie Holiday
iaiaz

Postby thebeaky » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:58 am UTC

hey Hawk.

This doesnt feel like a mockery to me, just a pun, I kinda like it when these kinda subjects come up. Forums are strange places but, can still get people thinking.
But even if it is mockery when done by those who dont believe(spelling maybe wrong), I have learnt not to take offence for the sake of keeping the conversation on Him, and sometimes get chances to speak the real truth, through that.
Apologies if this sounds dodge.

( I never thought of this b4, but we can even pray for randal)

anyways.

gb.
thebeaky

Postby thebeaky » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:04 am UTC

iaiaz wrote:As a side note, it is so passe to blame Jews for Jesus' death. I mean, the Pope totally let us off the hook already. Check the updated catechism, it's right on the Vatican webpage.

my bad again.

I guess since He died for all our sins, there is no leaving it at even just the Jews. he died becuase I had sinned against Him, and He didnt want to have to punish me for that, and so took the punishment on my behalf. So I have my share in the blame too.
But I dont need to feel guilty for it anymore, it has been dealt with, and so I live to say thankyou. And will do for eternity.
thebeaky

Postby elbekko » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:07 am UTC

Brilliant. And yes, the pope is evil. I tried finding the picture where it looks like he's summoning demons, but I can't find it :(

@hawk1105: Please get a life.
elbekko

Postby Neck Bolts » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:09 am UTC

As a former conservo, why do evangelism tactics always sound like old school insurance sales strategies? That whole, "Even if they make a joke, you can still get them talking, and make that sale!" Only, by sale, I mean save their soul, apparently. Fundamentalism is a giant pyramid scheme. A very profitable one at that...
He knew with all his heart that the human situation was a frightful botch, but it was such a logical, intelligently arrived-at botch the he couldn't see how history could possibly have led anywhere else.

--Kurt Vonnegut
Neck Bolts

Postby thebeaky » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:40 am UTC

hopefully my last bad.

Ok so I sound like a salesman thats not how it feels from where I have been. At times I feel like a salesman too.
so many times I have considered giving up, I have friends (yes friends, not projects, and they will remain my friends whether they choose to believe or not) who I have told many times, the same truth, I have cried to God for them. So often I think, well they will see when that time comes, they will look at the king, and then they will know. But then I remember the eternal result of that, and I keep praying for them.
so even if some of the things I say might sound like those of a salesman, my reasons are not selfish. I could have stopped and got a lot less hassle at work, I assure you it would have hurt me a lot less.

@elbekko
Is it wrong to find something offensive others dont, or even to say so. in thailand you can seriously upset people, just by showing them your foot by accident, or by putting a starbucks cup in a mcdonalds trash can. But he said what he thought, and, not unexpectedly got put down for it. free speech is still allowed right?

-- Edit: since writing this it has been pointed out that of course you have the same right to comment, which is true. I just wanted to show some support to hawk. since he seemed to be the only one with that veiwpoint writing anything.
Last edited by thebeaky on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:09 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
thebeaky

Postby thewindytrout » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:42 am UTC

It's nice to see so many Christians out there.
I too am not offended by this comic, I think it is great. Good work.
thewindytrout

Postby MalumOpus » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:04 am UTC

Yes! This is another truly hilarious one. I've been finding the comics a lot funnier over the last week or two, which is a relief as I had started to think Randall Munroe had run out of ideas.

Sad to see there are already a few zealots here who are taking the comic too seriously.
MalumOpus

Postby ravenhearte » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:05 am UTC

I was baptized and confirmed Catholic. I found the comic hilarious.

Disclaimer: I've been an Atheist for over ten years and doubt the existence of a historical Jesus. Just as I doubt the existence of a historical Mithras, Odin, Osiris, and any number of others who have been claimed to have died and then risen. The biblical account of Jesus just has too many inconsistencies, both within the gospels and compared to historic texts of the time.

Anyway, nice comic Randall.
ravenhearte

Postby thebeaky » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:34 am UTC

I guess I'm probably the zealot you are reffering too.

my bad. but this is a forum, I kinda thought this was the point in forums. Discussion or something like that.

I did however not take any offence at the comic. I was just enjoying, the debate.
thebeaky

Postby MalumOpus » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:45 am UTC

@thebeaky:

No, not you, you said you found it funny. However, someone else in a first post said they were offended. And sure, they have every right to state that opinion, but I think that to say

hawk1105 wrote:i am truly offended by this comic

is a bit sad.
MalumOpus

Postby thebeaky » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:54 am UTC

Ill not hold it against hawk though, I am glad that he is willing to go against the flow, and say that.
and glad that he see God as Holy.

its a good trait. and a good vision of God.
thebeaky

Postby Orangeyness » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:03 am UTC

Haha, that was great.

Now I wonder how well proton packs work on Xenu...
Orangeyness

Postby kurt872 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:57 am UTC

@thebeaky: "Free speech" means you get to say what you want.
It ALSO means that other people get to respond. To say your piece
and then to try to use "free speech" as a shield against any criticism
whatsoever is hypocritical and very weak.
kurt872

Postby thebeaky » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:01 pm UTC

good point.

my apologies.
thebeaky

Postby emanaton » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:15 pm UTC

ravenhearte wrote:I doubt the existence of a historical Mithras, Odin, Osiris, and any number of others who have been claimed to have died and then risen.

Even though you doubt, I will still prey for your salvation and weep for your ignorance... I think I'll start by raising a glass to Dionysis... then Thor... then whoever else comes to mind...

hawk1105 wrote:i just registered only to reply to this comic, ... <snip>

Troll?

thebeaky wrote:... <snip> (not the Ghost Buster, but the Jews just for clarity).

Troll?

TzeraFNX wrote:...<snip>Also, do people really think Christians are so easily offended?

Yes.

While I was raised to be spiritual, I have never been Christian, and I've been very "out" about it for the last decade and a half. I either have to believe that Christians are easily offended or I have to believe they are lying to me when they tell me they are so easily offended.
Sean P. O. MacCath-Moran
http://www.emanaton.com
emanaton

Postby SimonBob » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Shouldn't one of the Ghostbusters be black?

Although come to think of it, I guess Randall can't draw races.
The Mammon Industry
Because it can't be art until the gods get the money.
SimonBob

Postby mrbaggins » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:32 pm UTC

*joke stolen from somewhere. I can't remember where . . .

Dogma intro.

<Screen of text>
...So please before you think about hurting someone over this trifle of a
film, remember: even God has a sense of humor. Just look at the Platypus.
Thank you and enjoy the show.

<Next screen>

P.S. We sincerely apologize to all Platypus enthusiasts out there who are
offended by that thoughtless comment about Platypi. We at View Askew
respect the noble Platypus, and it is not our intention to slight these
stupid creatures in any way.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?
mrbaggins

Postby jbass357 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

:shock: couldnt the Ghostbusters just release the holyghost from the trap?
jbass357

Postby hypersapien » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:36 pm UTC

It's ok. It's not as if they ever used that part of the trinity, anyway.

*ducks*
hypersapien

Postby sithpirateknight » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

Made me think of the Cyanide and Happiness comic (just can't find the one in question) where one character asks "If there's somethin' strange in your neighborhood, who ya gonna call? If it's somethin' weird an it won't look good, who ya gonna call?" And the next panel shows someone else answering "The local police".
All in all a good comic.
"Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to." -Douglas Adams

Hexadecimator wrote:but in general, the curvier the symbols get, the more complicated and difficult life becomes.
sithpirateknight

Postby hawk1105 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

all reactions as expected, and i understand why most of you think it's funny.
i don't blame you for thinking it's funny, because it probably would be for me too, if i didn't love the Holy Spirit and was into ghostbusters at all.

but it just hurts when people laugh at what's most holy to you.
i know you all think i'm whining, but i just want you to understand that it hurts.
so don't take me down for this. (even though this is the internet)
hawk1105

Postby littlesuz13 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:43 pm UTC

I study theology and I absolutely loved this comic! It gave me ideas. I'm thinking that the next time I sit down to a serious theological discussion I should randomly change subjects and say, "So, what do you think would happen if the Ghostbusters ever caught the Holy Ghost?" Even better, I should ask this question in one of my theology classes..... hehehehe......
"All that we see or seem is just a dream within a dream." - Edgar Allen Poe
littlesuz13

Postby emanaton » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:45 pm UTC

emanaton wrote:
TzeraFNX wrote:...<snip>Also, do people really think Christians are so easily offended?

Yes.

While I was raised to be spiritual, I have never been Christian, and I've been very "out" about it for the last decade and a half. I either have to believe that Christians are easily offended or I have to believe they are lying to me when they tell me they are so easily offended.

hawk1105 wrote:all reactions as expected, and i understand why most of you think it's funny.
i don't blame you for thinking it's funny, because it probably would be for me too, if i didn't love the Holy Spirit and was into ghostbusters at all.

but it just hurts when people laugh at what's most holy to you.
i know you all think i'm whining, but i just want you to understand that it hurts.
so don't take me down for this. (even though this is the internet)

See?
Sean P. O. MacCath-Moran
http://www.emanaton.com
emanaton

Postby vodka.cobra » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:49 pm UTC

Comics like this are the reason why I love xkcd. :D
vodka.cobra

Postby TheHand » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:58 pm UTC

That ghost has been haunting us all for some time...

Now just to take care of all those pesky Body Thetans
TheHand

Postby Adventurer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:17 pm UTC

SimonBob wrote:Shouldn't one of the Ghostbusters be black?

Although come to think of it, I guess Randall can't draw races.

Because clearly we're not having enough fun with the religious aspects of the comic, so lets bring race into it too! :roll:

Tbh I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out. My initial reaction was: "Racial differences shouldn't divide people in real life, so why should we make the distinction in a comic of stickfigures?" Then I remembered this, and realised since the distinctions are made in real life, it may be necessary to make the distinctions in our portrayals of it in order to highlight issues and spark debate. Or, you know, make clever observational humour.

That said, I don't think many people are going to be campaigning for more explicitly ethnically diverse xkcd characters. Or are they? :?
Adventurer

PreviousNext

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads